Options

Saturday 28th Jan 2006

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Congratulations Gary T.

Well done NZC for sticking it out. Much more satisfying. Couldn't hack the heat myself.

Good running Blisters. Sounds very sociable.

Hilly, I'm using the Ballycotton 10 in early March as an indicator. No half-marathons in Ireland in March.

36k d+d here in 2.48. Would think I'd gone too fast but AHR was 149 and felt I could have finished out the 42 if it was marathon day. I guess the training, training, training is having some effect.

Won't be able to move for rest of the day mind.

Happy running and racing all.
  • Options
    Oh, and came home to discover my car had been clamped!
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Mava: A lie-in....Mmmm! I could do with one of those.

Blisters: I like the new mantra :-)

Clink: Yes tight calfs can cause it. The next question is: Why the tight calfs?

Looking at my training logs I see that my current ankle niggle started around 12th Jan. That's when I took up early AM tready runs cos I CBA'ed running outside.

Did some drills, skipping (& nearly took out the ceiling light!). 30mins tready. Hoping to do 60mins easy outside later.

OutLaws coming to dinner tonight - I'm on strict orders to be on my best behaviour - Yessir, ma'am!
  • Options
    Gary congrats to you both:-)
    I am so lucky as I do my Long run over there every week....we always see loads of MBikers and they are so friendly everyone says hello:-) and as we do 2 laps we usuallly see them on second lap and we get a comment like you have slowed down;-)

18 miles all done in my skins;-0 I have the ladies version with lilac stitching;-)
    It went well knocking 17 mins off last weeks run.
    So no reaction to the gym session as yet:-)

Blisters : we are working on strengthening my body in the gym as an area I have never worked on especially my non existing abs so it all is going to make me a better runner well thats the plan:-)

Oh and can i mention I have for the first time EVER reached 70 miles for the week and I was having such a bad week and that is with a rest day for my eye:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Right, caught up with the thread.

NZC well done for toughing it out. I do all my runs alone. And the long ones I have to do a big loop or an out and back otherwise I wimp out before I should! I do take enough money to get a bus home should something go really wrong!

Gary T - many congrats to you and OH

I'm starting to panic slightly about my half in two weeks but I will go with the aim of enjoying it and no more than that. So much is going on in my life right now (pretty much all of it good) that I'm just going with the flow! As long as I run just well enough not to PW I think I'll be happy.

Off to do the supermarket shop and other domestic chores. Hope to catch some of the athletics on the telly too.

Have a fab day everyone.
  • Options
    Congrats Gary and Mrs T - what wonderful news! Hope it all goes well for you.

Poppy - 70 miles! Wow, that is really something. You are sounding very well and springy on it - long may it last.

Well, I had a weird one today. It was so lovely (looking out from inside) that I wanted to get out on my bike instead of turboing later, so I packed my swim stuff and put on all the clothes I own, and headed off up on to the moors. By heck it was cold and windy! My average speed on the way out was about 11mph!! But down hill and a tail wind on the way home was much appreciated. The pool being on the way home, I stopped and did my swim - the water felt like a bath when I got in, I was so cold. 40 mins there, then out and re-clothed and back on my bike for the last ten mins home. It's a bit unorthodox to do the bike bit before the swim, but I didn't want to ride out in the cold with wet hair. Going back to bed for a delayed lie in now!
  • Options
    Afternoon runners.

It's a lazy day here in the FAB household. Will run home from the supermarket later, thinking carefully about how my feet contact the ground.

clink - yup, tight calves (and tight most-things!). I've recently started doing lots of post run stretches (30+ mins), but it's probably too soon to see if this is making a difference.

nrg-b - skipping sounds a great idea. I've also got the POSE book/dvd somewhere (never really got on with it). Do you think doing some of the POSE drills will make a difference?
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Well done WP on a 70 mile week!
  • Options
    Right, hangover is not so bad now, so can look at computer screen without eyes feeling sore!!

Thanks to: MikeS, Mava, NZChristine, BR, sfh legs, Hilly, Clink, nrg–b, Podro, snaps, FAB, Milli (as I know how the BO can confuse one’s senses!), Pammie, MelP and WP for all your support re: work.

I am on the look out for another post, but trying to match the salary is going to be difficult, so maybe I’ll have to settle for a drop in pay but a better working environment. I’m just about ready to do that now, so will be checking out the job ads.

WP – did you accept the job in the running shop and if so when do you start?

TMR – we went to Crufts a few years ago and watched that lady with her dogs dancing, it was incredible. I think my lab would adore doing flyball, but he would not be very quick.

Stellina – have cramps settled now? Well done on your run, I must try that silly thought thing and see what comes into my mind!! My teenage scoobs had her first real attack of bad cramps yesterday; she was in tears poor thing.

Tigerunner – good luck with toughguy, look forward to piccies!

Sportaloo – When training for Cardiff mara last year I too only started to feel warmed up after an hour of running, so I would do club run and then sometimes run home and the run home was the best bit!!

NZC – yuk, one of those horrible runs. Well done on finishing it. It’s awful when that happens, but I bet your bottom dollar that the next one you do will be great.

MelP – thanks for offer, but I want to push on a bit tomorrow, however I am also heading that way to get up onto the moors so I may well see you to say hi.

BR – hope little (poss future BR) is feeling better soon.

Snaps – your training is going good! Glad the legs like the skins even if the butt doesn’t! :0)

Congrats to GaryT on future baby and hope MrsT is feeling ok so far in pregnancy?

Paul l – sounds like getting lost was a good thing then!

Hilly – looking forward to piccie, glad you had a great evening.

What: a big zero today, Long bike ride tomorrow.

I'm hungover, teenage scoobs is not at all well, and Mr scoobs has gone to India for a week for his work.

Best of luck to all doing Southerns, to all racers and all long runners.

As time is going on I’m starting to come to the conclusion that I’m going to have to drop out of Paris. Time is running out to be able to build up again and then get some long runs in. Of course I know I could get round, but at what cost?

1. I wouldn’t be happy with a get round attitude, I WANT to do it properly.
    2. I may well end up back to square one again re: injury.
    3. Knowing me if I did get to the start line I most likely would push it anyway and not be sensible.
    4. I’ll know I haven’t trained as I would have liked.
    5. There will be other marathons

I think I shall notify 35000 runners that Paris has been postponed until May.

Will sit on fence for a little longer I think.
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    Scooby, as ever your post left me smiling!

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    GaryT: Congratulations on the good news.

FAB: I'd say the pose drills are a good start. I do section1 drills for 15mins everyday. But
    please don't expect fast results.
  • Options
    NZC - Great effort, makes me think that I should possibly add a couple of miles to tomorrow's 18...

Scooby - Good luck with rescheduling Paris!

Haven't run for a couple of days as I thought I was going down with some sort of bug, but whatever it was seems to have come to nothing which is good news.

Great meal out last night with Mrs 200 & some friends which left the challenge of collecting the car this morning before I got a ticket, so:

What: 4.5 mile jog with hangover
    Why: See above
    Last hard: Wednesday

18 to 20 miles tomorrow.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Mava - a lie in - lucky you! I can't sleep past 8 usually, and today I was up at 6 to eat before my run. Just do that half and enjoy it. My one last week was done on 20 miles a week and some cycling, and it was fun.

Gary - congratulations!

I'm feeling virtuous, having done my run - 12.3 miles - and then gone to the tri club swim session.

I must be tired because I got a sudden urge to go to the Edinburgh derby this afternoon! I won't though as it's in alien territory and teen boy isn't here to chum me.

• Options
    Hello all.

What: 12.5 miles d&d this morning. Great weather sunny crisp frosty morning. Had a great run with my mate across the fields,old tow paths and canal.

Why: miles make champs and FLM training.

Last Rest: Friday

Last Hard: Last Sunday.

Tomorrow the Toughguy near Wolverhampton.

Scooby thanks. Will post tomorrow if i have thawed out!
  • Options
    Scooby - if anyone can get Paris rescheduled I'm sure it's you :-)

Welsh Poppy - my goodness gracious me! (I mean the 70 miles, not (so much) the lilac bits)

Blisters - great run. I know exactly what you mean about feeling lifted after a meaningful encounter with another runner at the critical stage :-)

Congtaulations all you other virtuous people on your own runs, too.

Managed 10.4 miles with Mrs Snaps' group, which ostensibly trains at 5.45 - 6.00 per k on Saturdays (nearly 9 minute miling). However today they cruised comfortably and chattably along at between 30 secs and 45 secs faster than that. No wonder Mrs Snaps is catching up with me ...
  • Options
    Rory and Blisters,great training runs.

Gary - Congrats to both of you.

BR - Hope daughter feels better soon.

nrg-b - Nver gone further than 16 miles in training? Doesn't it come back to bite you in the marathon?

Scooby - You sound in better spirits today. Glad you also experienced the slow warm up. This makes week runs of an hour or less a bit difficult :o)

URR - Well done on that 5K!

The idea was to buy new trainers today. Two shops and can't find Asics Nimbus in my size. Promised to order some though.
  • Options
    afternoon all

What: 3.5 miles easy
    Why: First comeback run after the flu

Felt great to be back out running through the woods, even though avg HR was about 15-20 bpm higher than would have expected for the pace.

Gary T - That's fantastic news (get your training in now before the baby is born, as it will get a lot harder for a while afterwards!)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    What a bu**er Rory having your car clamped!

Well done on the training WP. I've done gym work for years and it really does make your body stronger, oh and defined:o)

Congrats Gary and OH!

Melissa, seeing how cold it is here today I 'take my hat off to you' doing your cycling today and then doing a swim and another cycle-well done you!

Scoobs, hope teen scoobs feels better soon-no wonder it was called a curse!

Lol the informing the other Paris entrants:o)

Well I've been out for another meal today, I really will need that long run tomorrow as I'm feeling stuffed!

• Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Gary T and Mrs T congratulations.

What 6m inc 10x hills
    Why - Strength Trg
    Last Hard - Weds
    Last rest - Thurs

Enjoy:-)
  • Options
    Congratulations Gary!

Rory - who clamped your car? Your wife?

10 miles for me today with 5 x 350m hill sprints to help out a fellow runner doing his session. This guy is as obsessive as some other runners in these parts, describing how he set drinking bottles up on people's garden walls so he could practice picking them up whilst running at marathon pace (currently 5:50 pace for him)!

To run again would be pointless mileage collecting now, and the new improved BR doesn't do that.

It's soooo 2005:-)
  • Options
    Congratulations Gary

What: 10 miles easyish (6:45 pace) along the canal after work. Was flying past people at the tail end of a 45 mile race, and then on the way back a former colleague of mine came into view, doing by his own admission about 15 minute miling. I suggested I might to try such an event one day, he thought I would get very bored.
    Why: Just an easy day
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: 8 days

Race well all tomorrow, I'm waiting for news from the regional XC champs
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Lol BR.

I'm going mileage collecting in about an hour when my stomach feels a bit less bloated. I have a weekly figure in my head that I just can't break at the moment:o)
  • Options
    21 miles done and dusted. Slower than I would have liked, and the HR was a tad too high, but it was a hilly course and my quads are still tired from Sunday's race, so not bad really.

Did the cold bath thing for 15 mins when I got back (first time this year) - the first few minutes was even more painful than I remembered, but not too bad once everything went numb. Legs are feeling a whole lot better for it now.

Off to a posh restaurant tonight for dinner (joint celebration of my birthday [slightly late] and M.'s distinction in her OU exams). I need to eat 5000 calories today, so may have to order two meals!
  • Options
    Big congrats M!!!!
    Have a lovely evening out, both of you.

• Options
    Well done M!

Venom - maybe you need a family naan bread:-)
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    LOL BR!

Congratulations to M, well done. Have a great night out.

• Options
    What? 5m easy / 7m easy (treadmill too cold for me)
    Why? Easy day

Good luck those doing the SoEAA/NoEAA XC, glad I am not doing it :)

Snaps

I like your rules.

Trini

David Brent quote of the day! "There may be no 'I' in team, but there's a 'ME' if you look hard enough" :)

GaryT

Congratulations! Great news.

Micksta

Well done in the Southerns! (Results )

• Options
    205th - good effort. Is that JFB in 87th as well?

URR, given your encyclopaedic knowledge of the race scene in southern England, what sort of standard runners was Micksta finishing with today?
  • Options
    Gary T - congratulations to you and your wife on the pregnancy.

Rory, Blisters, Venom, Welsh Poppy - good training runs.

Welsh Poppy - 70 miles - well done - I wish!

Scooby - it would be such a shame to miss out on Paris.

BR - loved your "it's so 2005".

Melissa - I never carry a phone but I could have done with carrying some money as I did run past some shops near the end of the run - I could have bought something to give me a bit more energy.

Snaps/Clink - yes, I was definitely over-doig it.

David F - hope your long run went well.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Thanks URR, great one!

What: Easy 15 min jog & stretches

Why: T&T Marathon Tomorrow!!!

Last Hard: 10 days

Have fun you tough guys, runners and resters!