Monday Jan 30th Training

Comments

• Trinirunner:

Yes my back certainly told me the ground was pretty hard for my spikes! :)

Glad my advice helped, it does make so much difference if you can get the taper right.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Great position Spans, well done! You too Wabo and glad you're feeling better.

Graham, well done on your race too.

AF, sorry you've been unwell, glad you're now better.

Stellina, thanks I've not been called a babe in a while:o) I agree that swimming is excellent for recovery. I used to find it was like having a massage. Unfortunately I can't find the time at the moment, but come the summer when it's a bit warmer I might be more tempted to find the time.

Well done Sven. I like your steady pace:o)

Enjoy the taper Sportaloo and don't be tempted to do more miles!

Minks, what an old hag! I had something similar in the local bowling alley, which is paid for by local tax payers money. I too was followed into the loo and she was standing holding the door open when I came out. I was going to complain to the council as the alley is right next to the track and the toilets for use by people using the track and football fields were locked, but once again I forgot about it rather than make a fuss.

Went to the GP about my neck as it started itching madly again when my top touched it. He's given me stronger cream and told me to take antihistamines and if no better in a week to go back. He thinks it's an allergy too, but what is the question!
  • that's terrible Minks.

We've all been in that position i know where you walk into a pub, avoid eye contact and head straight for the lavs feeling a tad guilty but that sounds like a slight over reaction.

Get well soon AF.

Nice new pic Hilly.

Quick question. Any of you got treadmills at home. I very rarely use them, but come April, with child to look after and g/f desparately looking to get back to pre-pregnancy shape been thinking one may suit the both of us. Any recommendations?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Paul, I've got the Quatumn 11 HRC. It was featured in RW as one that is a good option at a reasonable cost £900. There are many more around and gyms ones are astronomical in price! I find mine is fine for what I need it for. It's got 8 programmes and 2 self input programmes. It only goes up to 10mph, but that suits me again for the pace I do on the treadmill.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Wow, I hadn't noticed the pic Hilly. You look very glam and 'babe' like!

Great stuff.
  • Afternoon,

What-3 miles d&d with 5 steady at the club later.
    Why- legs are battered.

Must say well done to ChrisPro and Spans, great results for both.
    Hope your allergy is sorted out soon, Hilly.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    mava, it was at my presentation evening on Friday, so I was dressed up a little. I'm a bit of a girlie out of run kit, but don't think I'm a 'babe':o)

Loz, thanks I hope it clears soon too!
  • Afternoon

What - A Long slow run tonight
    Why - did not manage one at the weekend

Enjoy
  • Glam piccie, Hilly - nice to see you waving your trophy :-)

Minks - you should've asked first if you could use the loo. And if she'd said no, said "Oh well, just have to do it here, then" and peed all over the public bar. Or worse. There seems to be a sort of intelligence threshold below which these types can't see it's in their own interests to be nice to potential customers/potential word spreaders. I'm sorry you had to go through that experience. It leaves a nasty taste.

Just got back from 20 min row, 21 min bike, 24 min stairmaster, same programmes as last week but 5 mins longer, ave HR 5 beats per minute lower. I am either overtraining or improving :-?
  • Afternoon All,

What: 8 miles easy; a bit of turbo
    Why: general
    Last hard: sunday i guess
    Last rest: 14 Jan

Only read sunday's thread. I did 55 miles on the bike yesterday which went well. I even had some company for a good few miles when I caught up with another woman.

Chris - well done on your bronze and the 1500m PB. My friend still holds the welsh national records for 500m and 10000m (set in 1987). Her sistert holds the marathon record still.

Scoby - I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt.

SiT - good luck with the leg. I really hope it's just calf tightness.

Trinni - Well done you! That's a huge amount to knock off your PB and you were a long way inside your 4hr target. excellent stuff!

St B - well done on your 10m PB at Ferriby.

AJH and Pammie- well run at Benfleet and nice pic Pammie.

Imski - a great run from you! Gunning for 75mins indeed - you smashed that.

Clink - well done on your 5miler - nice to be quicker than October. You injury is gradually becoming a distant memory I hope.

Dr Roo - LOL. It's not all bad not using your title!

TC - great going at TG. Top fifty placing I notice - that's really excellent - well done. Someone beat Hywel!

MikeS - I'm sorry you were a bit disappointed with your position in what sounds like a tough race.

DD - welcome back - it sounds like a lovely holiday.

Spans - very well done on your 26th place.

Wabo - gald to hear you are feeling better and that you had a good race.

AF - we were wondering where you had got to. I'm sorry to hear you had been so ill. Recover well. The inbox sounds hideous.

Debbo - I hope your calf mends quickly. Perhaps some time at the sports massuer woud help.

Micksta - well done at the XC.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    LOL, Snaps! I'll remember that next time. Of course, when it happened I was so floored by her over-reaction that I couldn't think of a single witty retort! I must confess I usually walk into a pub, avoid eye contact with anyone and head straight for the loos as I do feel a bit guilty about using them when I'm out running. That said, what's the alternative? There are no public toilets anywhere in my local area (all the ones that used to exist have been closed due to the council being unable to afford to maintain them properly/vandalism) and I don't think local residents would appreciate having their front gardens/the local park used for such a purpose!

I just hope that all the local pubs are not having a clampdown on non-patrons using their facilities!
  • melli did a nice summary there as usual, well done all.
    MikeS, I like how Rory puts it.
    Count, that TG stuff would scare the hell out of me. And you're not even just a nutcase, but a top 50 nutcase...
    AF, hope you're on the mend and in training again soon! We were getting worried about you.

melli, as I'm training often easy, more often minkseasy and hardly ever steady and I've got virtually no experience racing, setting time targets is very difficult for me. Therefore I tend to follow the words of the former CEO from work "underpromise, overdeliver", but if his execution of those words were as good as mine, he might not be our former CEO ;-)
    Problem as well is that you end up suffering 'round figure syndrome'. Why did I set 75 minutes? I've never run 10M (only a HM and a 30k off-road before) and probably I thought 70 was a tad overambitious. It's a too big difference however.
    Things went extremely well and almost by accident I ended up with really good pacing. It's incredibly nice to finish feeling like you've done as good as you could do on the day. What more could you want?

What: rest for the next 4 weeks
    Why: bit of CBA plus leaving to visit outlaws for 3 weeks at the end of week (it's a long trek and mrs I hasn't been there for almost a decade now). I'd probably injure myself tying my shoe this week, so some extra rest days
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: next 4 weeks (I might have an occasional jog)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    minks, what a bl@@dy rude landlady!! as if it hurts!
    well done micksta, mr w found it so hard!
    snaps, how weird, I wondered if one ofthem was you, wish I had called across now! Be easier to spot you at the nationals so I will see you then!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon folks

Mellifera: So i guess your friends with angela Tooby! am i right?

What: Club night, will consist of some circuit training, mobility exercises, speedwork, easy run
    Why: I want to be the best!

Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: 6days

Have a good run all
  • wabo - fraid not - you got the wrong person ... I'd love to be there but I live abroad and only make the occasional forray back home. Next time will be for the Sussex beacons ½ on Feb 19 (a day when you lot are really spoilt for choice when it comes to races!) and then the Compton Downland Challenge on March 25th, followed of course by FLM ...

The abroad thing is also why i never get to any Forum socials :-(
  • Minks - what's with this going inside to use a toilet? Last time I ran round Wakefield there was a quiet secluded corner of a pub car park...

Well raced clink, Pammie and MikeS, Mr W, Spans, Micksta and anyone else I've missed.

What: 8 miles easy
    Why: P+D probably say so:-)

Actually daughters up and in and out of bed made for a poor night's sleep so only woke up 20 mins before I had to be at work. Then I was kitted up ready for a lunchtime 4 miler but saw it was Roast Lamb for lunch (the only decent meal they do in the week) so opted for that.

So instead of the planned 5.5 mile loop I extended it and felt brill - sun was shining, paths through fields were firm underfoot and I could have run forever:-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    BR, it's a bit easier for a man to go in a pub car park...

Hope daughter is feeling better!
  • Not to do what I was doing...
  • Evening all,
    Hilly - nice pic.

Spans & Wabo - good running.

Grahm - well run.

AF - get well soon.

DD & Sven - nice to see you back.

Micksta - sounded tough going.

What: 6 miles hilly - hot
    Why: just another day's running
    Last hard: see above
    Last rest: 22 January.

• Afternoon all,

Had a busy few days. Night out at the restaurant on Saturday was superb - very expensive, but worth every penny!

Got back late on Sunday evening, and nipped out to do an easy 5 miles. My right knee felt a tiny bit dodgy whilst I was running, nothing significant though. However, ever since there's been a dull ache on the outside of it. A bit worrying - hoping that it's nothing major and will clear up, but last time I had a sore knee (the other side) it was 10 weeks out.

Today: easy 30 mins turbo, 1 hour swim
    Why: protect the knee
    Last hard: Saturday's long run
    Last rest: Wednesday

Big congrats to Chris Pro for his weekend races, shows some serious class and great promise for the future. Congrats also to the Southerns competitors, especially Spans as that was a superb result. And fantastic to Trinirunner, a big PB in really not ideal conditions is especially impressive.

Fingers crossed that this calf gets better soon....
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    evening all. I had a hard ride into work, into the wind all the way. A very cheeky bloke kept hitching a ride behind me, twice I slowed to let him past and twice I found in him behind me again at a set of traffic lights. We did have a friendly conversation about it though! The payback for cycling into the wind on the way to work was a bit of help on the way home. Great ride. Short, but enjoyable.

Minks, I often have to use facilities on my long runs but I usually offer 50p or something and have never had a problem.

Wabo and any other londoners there's a curry thread on URWFRC. Same place as last time.
  • evening

what: about 5.3 miles (maybe a shade more), fairly easy, d&d in 38:14
    why: picking myself up again after yesterday's letdown
    last hard day: Sun
    last rest day: Sat

This was actually a run done at lunchtime at work - basically 5 laps round a circuit which I was lapping at about 7:45 pace most of the time. My guess is 1 lap is a shade under 1.1 miles.
    Shower facilities at work fortunately not in use when I finished, plus the out of town location make this possible - for the time being.

Potentially very useful for shorter and/or less intense outings in view of time saved in the evening - but how long it'll be feasible for remains to be seen.
    In particular, there may be a problem with the natives......the office is sited in one of the most deprived areas in the country, after all.

While running round, was trying to think of an adjective to describe the S-SE wind which was blowing off the Mersey. Finally decided the most appropriate I could think of was "pitiless".
  • What? 5m Easy / 10m Fartlek
    Why? Time of the year

Well done weekend racers!

Wabo

Noticed another comeback run from your clubmate MC. Looks like he is getting ready for the hectic summer season :)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I won't ask BR:o)

Thanks NZC. Have you decided to do a marathon in March/April?

A nasty wind there then Mike!

10 miles done with 30 mins at tempo for me. Found it hard and couldn't quite get the pace I wanted, but still an effort session.
  • Hilly- superb piccie of your trophy:-) you dont look too bad either;-)

Nope still have my weekly job as well as saturday job...would'nt it be great just work a saturday for a weeks pay thinbk of all the training and gym sessions I could fit in;-))))

I start this saturday it is opening day I am so nervous about it but there is a treadmill with laptop software to check a runners gait so very excited to learn all about that.....and if it is slow I could jump on the treadmill and do a wee work out;-)

Debbo-i too have opted for an easier lifestyle :-) I look at marathons in the same light;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WP, you could always slot in an hour workout on the treadmill all in the interests of demonstrating to customers who come into the shop that running can be done just about anywhere:o)

• hilly - after Saturday's run, I feel like I wouldn't care if I never ran a marathon again!
    Most of my Saturday morning group will run Rotorua again in May - I was thinking of a marathon in March but it has been so hot here I've just about decided to forget about it.
    My son is still telling me to come and run the Brussels Marathon in August - I have to make up my mind today as my husband is making his booking.
    The only race I'm sure that I'm doing at the moment is a relay with my Saturday morning group around Lake Taupo. It will be a fun affair with 2 teams taking part from our group of mixed running ability. Most of us are old and slow so it is really just a weekend away with a run thrown in - that's on the 18th of Feb so I'm not so good on the motivation levels if I don't have a real goal to aim for or a schedule for that matter.
  • OOOh Hilly you are a woman after my own heart....;-)

I would be willing to do a morning slot and an afternoon slot;-)

Maybe not this saturday as I have a race on sunday;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Well done Graham at Benfleet. question is will you do it again.

AF - Hope you get better soon.

No running today, but <<whispers>> have entered the Dublin Marathon. (nine months today).
    Have booked the week of work, really wanted to fly out on the Friday. But can't get that time off. Just seeing if i can persuade someone to do my shift.

What have i put myself into?

Question, with this being my 1st marathon When should i start a schedule specifically for this seen so many different marathon schedules of many lengths.

Accomodation is sorted as i have about 9 million cousins there (ok slight exaggeration) but will stay with one of my aunts.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    WP, what about offering to open the shop so you can get there a bit earlier and have a treadie session. I can think of lots of ways of doing a bit of running. Oh and don't forget you need to wear their clothes and sample trainers too:o)

NZC, I don't know much about Brussels marathon, but should imagine it would be pretty hot during August. Mind it sounds as if you're used to the heat!

The relay sounds good and a great way to spend a weekend away with people you enjoy spending time with!