Not so speedy

Now on my third week of training (training for Madrid on 30th April, not London) but am really struggling with the speed work.

The longer runs are not a problem, 7m midweek in sub 49min and the longer weekend runs comfortably inside the 'target' times. But I'm really struggling with the speedwork. Last night when attempting a mile fast followed by 400m recovery, I could only manage mile times of 6:07, 6:20 and 6:17 - some way short of the 6:00 target time.

My marathon PB is 3:19 (London 2003) where I did hardly any speedwork (a 5 mile run around the 32 minute mark was the fastest I'd run during training)

I'm currently working to the sub 3:15 schedule - any ideas how I can modify the schedule to improve the speedwork, without compromising the longer runs?

Comments

• James I am not where near as fast as you so can't really comment or offer advise but I do you need to do 6 min miling to achieve a sub 3.15 marathon?

I think the McMillan calculator is very good and might be worth a visit for calculating your next speed session.
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Careful, setting yourself a specific target time can cause yourself to push too hard and get injured.

If you've already done 3.19 without speedwork, why bother? It doesn't take much to knock a few minutes off on the day. Everything depends on the weather, just hope for cool conditions..Madrid will be warmer than London I suspect.

IMHO the longer runs are more important
  • JW - I wouldn't be too bothered about speedwork at the moment. It's more important later in the schedule to help sharpen up and peak at the right stage.

I haven't done any since November - right now I still focussing on endurance and threshold. I think your past experience also goes to show that you don't need speedwork to get through a marathon quite briskly.

Have you tried doing the speedwork in a group? When I joined a track session with a club, I found it much easier to meet target pace.
  • JW9 – I’d echo the comments above.

6 minute miling sounds too fast for a 3:15 marathon schedule. (It is the equivalent of Paul Tergat trying a session of 3x mile in 3:50!!)

If you are following the RW schedule, it says mile reps OR 6 minute efforts (not mile reps IN 6 minutes). I reckon 6:30 miling would be plenty fast enough.

Good luck
  • Bit off topic but isn't Madrid a tough marathon - v hot & long uphill finish? How much hill work are you doing / planning?