Morning all

What : 4 or 5 with sprints
Why : Club night

Will

Comments

• Options
    might as well say it now

what: nothing
    why: need rest (and sleep - but won't get enough of that)
    last hard day: Sun
    last long day: Sun
    last rest day: Mon
  • Options
    Morning peeps,

what: gentle jog
    why: foot feels a lot better
  • Options
  • Options
    hi all

what : rest
    why : last night's club night (6miles with sprints) has left me shattered.
    last hard : sunday
    last rest : monday
  • Options
    morning

what: easy 4m this morning.
    8m tempo ran at amrathon pace PM

Why: Again, marathon sched.
    Last Hard: Tuesday
    Rest: 07/01
  • Options
    Morning all.

Hippo - just picking up your note from yesterdays thread, you shouldn't feel intimidated by the training thread, we all started somewhere!

Yesterdays cross training was really quite hard, 17 kms on the stationary bike in under 30 minutes, my best yet. Followed by 10 minutes rowing.

Positive progress being made on the knee injury - it seems I've halted the decline and can now pretty much identify what makes it worse. The cross training is really helping, but I think its the post exercise stretching which is really making the difference.

Today: Running day - 40 minutes steady
    Why: Cross Train day yesterday, part of my progressive build up plan.
    Last rest: Friday
    Last hard: Tuesday

• Options
    Morning all,

A rare visit for me to training

What: 50 mins on Treadmill, alternating 2 mins at 1/2m pace and easy
    Why: Latest day in 1/2m training schedule
    Last Rest: Monday

I'm gently easing my 1/2 pace up and it seems to be going well (famous last words!!)
  • Options
    What : 5k up bloody steep hills
    Why : On holiday in New Zealand - no flats
    Last Hard : Monday
    Last Rest : Wednesday

HELP - Need some flat areas - cant run uphill anymore!!!
  • Options
    Morning

I've decided i won't wimp out of this afternoon's speed session. It's the hardest one on my schedule. Thank god i don't have to do it more than once a month. So apart from today, i have 2 of these left until the FLM

What: 2 x 10 km 60 secs recovery. This is meant to be a head gear session. So i will treat it as a pacey 12 miler instead.
    Why: Slave to the schedule
    Last Rest: Monday.
  • Options
    Morning

What: Rest
    Why: swopped tomorrows rest with today + I have lots of houseworkdecorating to do tonight
    Last Hard Day: Yesterday
    Last Rest Day: Monday

Find out soon if I'm in the FLM (hopefully the postal service will get my application in in time). So long run this weekend is going to be a 10 mile runwalk to see how I cope. If all goes well then I will have to significantly step up the miles but keep the pace slow.
  • Options
    Chatterbox -

what schedule are you following? sounds like an absolute killer. did I hear you mention the name Zatopek? ;-)
  • Options
    Good Morning one and all,

decided not to run at lunch today and so will just do my normal club night tonight

What : Club night
    Why : Its Thursday
    Last Hard : Tues
    Last Rest : Sat
  • Options
    Hello all!

What: Run or run/walk 6.6 miles.
    Why: getting reacquainted with my old training routes.
    Last hard day: Yesterday.
    Last rest day: Monday.

Also seeing a personal trainer for a preliminary consultation today. Not sure whether to go ahead - a weekly session between now and FLM would be nice and might even be useful, but if I put the £25 a week into my sponsor fund instead...decisions, decisions!
  • Options
    Morning All!!

What: 4 Miles Easy
    Why: Schedule Says so

Last Hard Day: Yesterday (6 Miles followed by 10 * Hill Rep Sesssion)
    Last Long: Sunday 10 Mile Race
    Last Rest: Tuesday

• Options
    Achilles

I'm following a schedule my coach has set for me. It is meant to have more quality sessions than the one i followed at Abingdon. I'm determined not to end up walking due to setting off like a loony, this time.

I was joking about Zatopek, but that is what the session feels like, especially when doing it on your own. This was the 30 x 440yd continous running, alternating between 10k pace and marathon pace.

Next week is a little easier, the schedule is broken down into 6 wks segments. I'm currently at week 5, the hardest week. I won't get to see the next schedule until a couple of days before i'm due to start. I don't think he wants me to fret. What a lamb!

• Options
    Morning!

What: Run the ring road. Might try some of that fartlek nonsense if I feel energetic.
    Why: Always run pre-pub on Thursdays, and it's ideal for fitting in a bit of a hard sesh.
    Hard: Tuesday club night.
    Rest: Yesterday. Would have had a trot, but got invited to hob-nob with our nation's elite (cough) at a college formal hall. Very nice.

Have fun all, and don't play with the traffic.
  • Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all.

Really glad to hear that your experimenting with different training/stretching has paid off on your knee, MartinH. Was a bit concerned I'd managed to damage mine on Sunday's long run - it really hurt during my recovery run on Monday. Wore a Tubigrip last night for a bit of extra support but as it was OK I went ahead and did a short tempo run with no ill effects. Fingers crossed that it was nothing.

What: Nothing - glorious rest and attempted recovery from my cold.
    Why: Because I deserve it after forcing myself out the door in the rain with a streaming cold for a 2.7 mile tempo run last night (7.18 pace - fast for me!)
    Last hard: Yesterday.
    Last rest: Tuesday.

Was reading something on Cool Running which said that increasing your mileage and exercise intensity makes you more susceptible to colds and flu, even though I always thought that exercise helped improve your immune system? Can anyone shed any light?
  • Options
    Don't know Minkin, but the lurgy always comes back when I get worn out. Running can certainly wear me out. Probably if you train for a few months, then relax your training a notch or two, in that period your immune system might do better than if you'd never trained hard in the first place.

At least that's what I'm hoping.

What: 6 miles, stretching the pace, but with rigorous observation of walking breaks every 5 minutes.

Until after 50min, the run was hijacked by my favourite four foot. After rolling in the mud with her, being subjected to a series of dive-bomb attacks by her, and then a session of hugs and kisses and my rubbing my face in her (now very muddy) fur, it was unthinkable simply to run on, so we walked the rest of the route together.

Left foot had turned into a long and unusually obstructive flipper anyway by then, so I was grateful for an excuse to stop.

I was wearing a heart monitor this time - one of those 24 hour recording devices with the intent of discovering whether I am likely to drop dead running before (rather than after) it happens. Oh well. It'll give the technicians a spot of amusement.
  • Options
    By the way, Hippo and Will, glad to see you here.
  • Options
    Guten tag liebchen

hippo et al stay with us - please this shouldn't be elitist in terms of speed, and humour and description of enjoyment is allowed

Knee had 2 mile test drive at 8min/mile pace last night on treddy - no sharp pain (good) but a slightly dull ache this am. Progress but not out of the woods. Like MartinH I think the stretching is critical in the recovery. didn't know what else to do after that so convinced myself that I should make it the first of 3 x 2miles and did legs 2 & 3 on the cross trainer (well 2x15mins with 4min recovery and put the whr in the 88-94% band) - hard

today
    what : another 2 miler for the knee at 8min miling plus weights?
    why: rehab
    last hard : ? yesterday
    last rest : tues

Enjoy
  • Options
    Hi everyone,

Agree with sfh legs - no apartheid on the Training thread! (but you're now follicularly challenged in the eyebrow department, I advise tweezers). Glad to hear yours and Martin's crosstraining regimes are working out well, must take a lot of discipline to stick to.

Welcome Gary fatbloke and nice description Stickless.

What: bikeride.
    Why: instead of recovery run, and it is a gorgeous day here, please let it be like this on Sunday.
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Mon

Re: immune system etc, I reckon there's a net loss of energy once you do more than say 30 miles/week including harder sessions. This has to be replenished by more sleep/feet up type rest, and food, or you get ill. (that's my excuse anyway)
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning campers,
    Read with a smile yesterdays debates on metric vs imperial.I'd like to think I'm OK with both although I run in min/miles.As for the argument that Kms go quicker,that may be so but there are more of them thats why I count in miles!!

What : mixed speed session :
    1 mile warm up , 10*1min fast with 1 min slow jogs (at last found out how to set,work and use the "timer" function on my watch!) , followed by 2 miles at HalfM pace , before a slow jog(wobble?) home.

7miles all told in a rather pleasing 49.04 so I guess my "1 min fasts" were too fast,or my 2 miles at halfM pace (7min/miling) was infact quicker.

Off to Rome with the missus for a long and hopefully romantic weekend tomorrow pm, so I'll squeeze in a 4 mile recovery tomorrow am, nothing but culture and Chianti on Saturday, with perhaps an easy hour Sunday night after we get back .

If I'm not back on here before Monday have a good weekend everyone, and good luck if you're racing.
  • Options
    Morning........just!

What: 4km warm up bike ride
    5km run in 19.35
    5km bike in 7.35
    PNF stretching
    20 legnths in pool

Now to bed.

nite nite!!
  • Options
    Afternoon chucks
    What: Hills, if I get time. Not sure probably 10 reps 5 up the steep one, 5 up the long one next to it - and practise Body Balance
    Why: This sheep's gotta run the Watford Half and the Connemara Marathon in a good time. She won't be a happy baaaaaaaaany if she don't
    Hippo, stay here, we need balance - and a training thread might intimidate the beginners!
  • Options
    Sfh - I have found that too much hill running is also part of the cause (both up and down) so I'm rationing myself in that respect and making sure that I don't 'thunder' down hills.
  • Options
    Hi guys, gotta post my last pre-hol workout, it was a doozie!

What: Inteded - 9 miles @ 6:20/mile (1/2M pace)
    Actual- 10 miles averaging 6:11/Mile! (avg HR= 169 = 85% HRMax
    Why: 1/2 Marathon/10mile training, Laura's advice, etc. Really chuffed with it today! Hopefully I can make this my actual 1/2M pace, who knows? :)
    Last Hard: Today/Yesterday
    Last Rest: Monday

No Gym for me tonite coz Im on a plane, bye eveyone!
  • Options
    what: 5 miles medium slow (57 mins)
    why: cos the mag schedule says so, and cos I didn't do it yesterday
    Last hard: er, monday or sunday, depending on your definition
    last rest: yesterday - too knackered after work so painted a windosill instead.

And been given anti-inflammatories today, cos of a suspected pinched nerve in my shoulder/neck that plays up when I run.
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, first post for a while. Just started running again yesterday after 10 days break. The funny thing about not running due to illness is that although you know you shouldn't it is very difficult not to.

Will probably spend tonight going through the reports from last weekend!

What: 6.5 miles steady. Quite pleased with the pace for this hilly circuit as I was only 90 seconds off my PB without trying that hard. May also do some weights tonight.

Why: Just taking things easy for the rest of the week and then back onto the Frank Horwill training strategy.

KK, that's some pace for a training run!
  • Options
    Evening all!
    what- track sesh
    why-speed/endurance (600s i think)
    last hard -tuesday speeed sesh
    last rest- week last sat!

enjoy!!