Options

Eating disorders article

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the thoughts Jude. Unfortunately the appointment got put off until 8th March so I have to get used to that now. It does feel like I've had a bit of a reprieve though.
  • Options
    JOG - right there with you in the EDNOS. Done the whole gamut of stuff, but wasn't great at vomiting, so didn't really persevere! Am at a 'normal' weight at the mo, which sometimes feels unbearably fat. Well, always does, if I think about it. I just keep thinking if I can hang tight while the waves of rage and panic come, and don't follow the inviting thoughts that if I just do xyz (usually, not eat, exercise and still not eat) I'll stop feeling bad, maybe the thoughts will pass. It's working some days. Some days, I really realise that the torturous thoughts about myself are just thoughts and I've no reason to fear them/ try and manage them through taking bizarre actions like starving myself or exercising too much. Some days, honestly, starving myself is easier than tolerating my thoughts about what I have eaten.

I'm also trying (!) to think of my ED(NOS) as my best friend. (Bear with me). What kind of mental energy does it take to run a 12miler on empty? (I bet we've all done somat like that, right?) Just imagine I could put that to use in the world... I could move mountains - so the sooner I free up that energy the sooner the world becomes a more bearable place (and the less I and people like me feel like protesting against participating in it by starving ourselves or overeating). Also, I always fall back on ED thoughts when something in my life is making me uncomfortable - it's that on some level I seem to think that managing my eating seems like an easier and more controllable thing to do than actually doing whatsoever scary thing that would allieviate my circumstances (even if that thing is accepting a difficult situation in which I have uncomfortable feelings). So now, when the thoughts kick in or seem to be more intense I try to remember it's like a message to myself that something in my life needs my attention. So that's another way to see it as a friend. Not one that I want to listen to (it's answer to everything is 'have you thought about stopping eating?') but one whose heart is in the right place ('I'm concerned that you're not making the best of your circumstances').

One day, I really hope that I'll just feel able to go straight to the problem without having to go through even a tiny starvation/ binge/ obsession cycle to wake me up. One day. And everyday I resist following the seductive thought that just a bit more weight off... that day is closer.
  • Options
    Hi just been reading all the responses to the eating disorder article and it has brought back so many memories of my teenage years. i was anorexic from 13 to 16 and after a brief spell in hospital became bulimic. though i never played sport at school (i was a member of a dance school out of school- made me feel 10 times worse!!) i too used excercise and especially running as a way of controling weight. I never thought id be able to get out of the vicious circle that is an eating disorder but i have. I thought coming to uni would actually make it worse but in fact its been a lot better since i came. So dont give up! I never thought id be where i am now. counsling never worked and id resigned myself to living a life with some sort of food problem. Now i run as i want to get fit and race for charity and not to lose weight as such, though that is a bonus.
  • Options
    thank you for supplying us with that story, i sometimes still cant see the wood from the trees and just this morning i sat across from a beautiful lake with the sun glistening on the surface wondering if it was time to put it to bed and end it all, sometimes the saddness is so overwhelming i feel like i am choking and its such a lonely illness i wonder if i would even be missed....
  • Options
    Yes you bloody would be missed
  • Options
    Youre right it is a lonley illness. i remember always feeling so frustrated cos no one could understand why i felt the way i did cos to them i had every thing going for me - except maybe the most important thing there is, which is beieving i was worth something! though im far from happy with my weight etc now i can see that i am worth more than i thought to alot of people. Its just trying to find that selfworth in yourself which is the hard part and anorexia is such a destructive illness. Theres one book that relly helped me through it all and i still have a copy of it now for when iever feel myself gravitating towards anorexia (ie whenever anything goes wrong!!) Its called "Conquering anorexia" by Claire Lindsy. It aint your average book on the subject, of which there are many!! Its written by an ex anorexic and it really is worth a look at if you can get hold of a copy.
  • Options
    having lost a few friends to ED's - they've all been missed, even if they'd never have thought it.
  • Options
    prob is that not many people understand out there- yes it is lonely, and most of the time it does seem easier just not to bother any more.

I've completely slipped back into it recently, its some form of control when anything else goes wrong, but something, i dont know what, has made me not give up completely. Tho today, i really have no idea what that is.

Therese, u would b deeply deeply missed xxx
  • Options
    yeah i slipped too, but i wish m damn weight would reflect my sadness and not just my head, coz my weigt tells a story, silence doesnt
  • Options

good you are still here
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    gf there are lots of reasons not to give up.
  • Options
    I DUNNO IF THERE ARE THAT MANY REASONS....TELL ME SOME, ITS SUNNY-IM SAD, SHOULD FEEL HAPPY-FEELING FAT.... OH THAT RHYMES. I AM A YEAR ON NOW AND IM SO FUCKED.........THE CLOUDS SEEM TO BE JUST CALLING ME HOME. WHAT AN UTTERLY USELESS ILLNESS AND EXISTANCE
  • Options
    I can completely understand that feeling of helplessness and resignation. But I really want you to know that things do change. One of the best things that my mother has always told me is that nothing is perminant and that life is full of changes and although it is very hard to believe when you are in a dark state it is so true.

I've struggled with eating problems for about 14 years. I started becoming obsessed with food when I was 14 and slowly began to reduce what I ate till I was just over 6 stone. I became bulhimic at University and have had very bad times with that. But I'm ok now. I still relapse and have good and bad months, but I can honestly say that I don't obsess about food now. I eat normally (well, 'normally' for a recovering bulhimic) and do everything I can to keep on top of things. I've just run my first marathon which would NEVER have been possible a couple of years ago. I feel strong and healthy.

Please try and access the strength in you and remember that things will not always be like this. Life in the midst of an ED is horrendous and so lonely. It makes you very introverted and self critical. When you get out of it you will look back and wonder why you wasted all that time. I promise things will get better.
  • Options
    Wedders, thanks for the post. I think you're right. A diversion of our energies could help. As I am sure many of us on this post have done, I waste hours a day thinking about food, and fretting over my shape and size. How much we could achieve if we used that time and energy for something else! And you're also right to suggest that rather than weak, we are probably very strong mentally - we are capable of putting ourselves under so much pain, like starving ourselves or running miles and miles through hunger. If only we could use that mental strength against the ED....

Natasha F and Janey S. What seems to be emerging from several stories on this forum is that the road to recovery from anorexia involves various stages. Anorexia, bulimia or EDNOS, "normal" attitude to food and exercise with some relapses, recovery. Janey, your story especially is so positive and inspiring. I don't know you, but I feel so proud of you for getting through it. To be quite honest, I'm rather jealous. I'm on a bit of a low at the moment, and I'd give anything to be at your stage. Apart from your mum's wise advise, do you have any suggestions on getting to that elusive state?

Therese, and gymfreak. As Natasha and Janey, and many others on this forum have already said - don't give up. I think our relationship with our body is just like any relationship with a person. If you treat it badly, it will respond by defending itself and reacting. It messes your brain up and throws you into that doom, gloom and negativity. But if you're good to it, it's equally good to you by making you feeling strong, healthy and happy. We are in this state of depression and pessimism because we have put ourselves in it. Believe me (because I have had a few tasters), when you treat your body with the respect it deserves, it will reward you.

Ooooo....I've made myself hungry for some of that optimism now. Anyone else want a slice? OK. I am declaring truce with my body. I'm going to give it the care and attention it needs, and I hope I am going to get the mental liberation and rejuvenation that I so long for.

P.S. Sorry for taking up so much forum space! I do ramble............!!!!!
  • Options
    Hi Jo,

I tried lots of different counseling methods, none of which worked for me. I realised that it was my own strength that would have to get me through. I’ve had a think about what has helped me and have come up with a few things.

1. What really upset me when I was bad was the thought that I was really harming myself physically. There’s only so much you can get away with when hurting your body and I hated the thought that I was doing irreparable damage. I want children more than anything and I didn’t want to risk not being able to have them.
    2. I thought about how disgusting I felt after every relapse, how absolutely repulsed with myself I was. Then before every binge or loss of control I thought ‘Is this really worth it?’. Of course, this doesn’t always work because you think you don’t care at the time, but sometimes it stopped me.
    3. I used my obsessive controlling side in a positive way. I used to write on a bit of paper a list of days and weeks and then tick them off every time I had a good day. I’m artistic so I designed the piece of paper really nicely (sounds silly but it works because if you have a bad day that will really stand out). Also, when I had a bad day I would write things like ‘It’s not worth it’ and ‘Remember this feeling’ and then look back at them when I was about to relapse again.
    4. Exercise – of course, extremely important
    5. Allowing myself treats, in my own small way.
    6. Looking at life as a whole, looking at the bigger picture. How long do I really want this to go on for? Do I really want to be controlled by food for the rest of my life? There’s so much more to life! We only get one life, why put ourselves through suffering? And it is OURSELVES, no one else is doing this to us. I think we need to be shocked into realising this. ED’s are safe and secure and habitual and it is terrifying to leave them. It’s really like losing a best friend. Making the jump is frightening but worth it.

Of course I write this and I am not totally ‘cured’, I have a long way to go. Next time I’m stressed or upset I’m sure I’ll relapse. But I’m A LOT better than I used to be and I’m convinced one day I’ll be totally ok.

Jo - what stage are you at right now?

Take care xx
  • Options
    'i wish m damn weight would reflect my sadness and not just my head, coz my weigt tells a story, silence doesnt'

I can definitely relate to this. I'm not sure if i've found a better way to tell people that i'm not OK yet, but to some extent i've given up on trying to get certain people to understand. my life does not have to depend on trying to make parents / anyone else understand what is happening - there's some friends i can talk to honestly, and being able to do that _without_ having to communicate via food, finding ways to communicate who i am & what i'm thinking without putting it in terms of calories / weight / whatever, is really helpful.
  • Options
    i remember saying to my doctor last year, when all i could do was cry with inconsolable sorrow in front of her while she sat with me, was that i have felt this raw for years its just that my bolchy appearence didnt reflect it, there i sat in front of her 4 stone lighter than i had been in front of her 3 months previous and my rawness and sadness was so unmistakeable to everyone that people who met me actually cried with me and for me. though this is an awful picture i felt so loved and wanted and supported, i was dying and everyone was holding onto me willing me to continue and to fight, and now that i look better everyones gone but im still so sad, and i wonder will my life just be this, going from on mode of self destruct to the next to be loved and wanted. how far back to my little self do i have to go back to deserve this attention.......pathetic i know. jo.g i dont agree with the treat your body well etc, the reason i became anorexic was to punish my body for something it had done to me and so i was in complete control as to whether it was in good nick or not. it was like "you fuck with me and see how much nourishment you get....asshole"
  • Options
    First to Janey - I'm at the "bulimic" stage, although I don't purge. Instead I chew and spit. Thank you for your advise. I can DEFINITELY relate to the children part. It is mainly this that keeps me from slipping back to my anorexia.

Therese, I suppose everyone's case is different. The "treat your body well etc." applies to me because for me the ED was not the primary problem, like I gather is for you, but a manifestation of deeper problems. There were things in my life that I couldn't control, but what went into my mouth I could. I wasn't punishing my body, like you are explaining you do, but my body suffered as a consequence of me trying to take control. For me, my body was an innocent victim.

With the "be good to your body and it will be good to you" idea, I was trying to justify the depression one can feel in an ED, and give motivation to make a change. In the anorexic phase my hair started falling out, I came out in eczema all over my body, I had little energy, my periods stopped and all of this, in conjunction with the chemical and hormonal imbalances messed my system up and made me depressed. Similarly, in the EDNOS I am now, my hair is dull, my skin is dry and full of spots, my face is puffy, I feel lethargic, and my biochemistry is still all wrong. Again, this, as well as the fact that my social life has gone down the drain, is getting me down.

You CAN get attention for looking good rather than being on your deathbead. For a brief phase of a few months in this horrid ED journey, I made my mind up to treat myself well. I ate well, drank lots of water, and felt happy. Without changing ANYTHING in my physical appearance (no weight change, no hair-dos, no change of wardrobe etc.), people started commenting on how good I looked. I got SO much attention, and not because I was looking frail and unwell, but because I was glowing with health and happiness.

I DON'T know your story, Therese, and so I can't really comment on your case. But I do think that it's not your body that is to blame and punish like you do, but your head that's messing with you. In fact, I'm sure of it.
  • Options
    therese, i can understand where you are coming from. I was at school when i was admitted into hospital. As a result id had loads of my classmates concerned and worried about me yet when i finally returned to school everyone seemed to have forgot and no longer cared. I was still very ill- id gone from being anorexic to a full blown bulimic within a few month- yet noone seemed to care anymore. My very close friends did ofcourse but i nearly drove them away trying to get back to how I used to be,untill it dawned on me that i was now getting POSITIVE attention for looking good rather then for being the talk of the school for being anorexic.

Its taken me three years to get to that point. People do still care about you. Those who are your true friends will ALWAYS care for you. Please keep hope. It will get better.I know it doesnt seem that way now but if you keep holding on something will happen which makes you realise that you can be loved without having to have an ED
  • Options
    no what my body did to me it definatley deserved punishment, but it is also about control for me, i lost control of my body, so i decided that if i was going to feel shit that i would know why i was feeling shit, i was the cause of it and at any point i could change that by eating but quickly i liked how thin i became. i dont know if i will recover, though this is hilarious because i eat like a horse and look very well have a small figure but i am so disgusted about how i look now compared to how i used to look, it was only a stone ago but its horrendous. im not bulimic because i have an incxredible phobia of vomiting but i do chew and spit too but this is crap caz you do actually ingest some of what you put in your mouth especially allowing something like choc to melt for a second. every day i think its my last, everyone thinks i am recovering swimmingly and people know how much i train so i have to eat well, but in order to try lose weight i have to train even harder and think i am a cardiac arrest waiting to happen or sometimes i think i will ride my bike in front of a truck or run in front of one. i have no idea why i am still here, as usual i am crying writing this email and wonder if il be here tomorrow....
  • Options
    (((therese)))
    because you deserve better than this.
    because there are things worth getting better for, even if they seem tiny at first.

any news on the hospital?
  • Options
    any day now apparently, deferred the college exams coz the doctor in charge rang me the other day and said im pretty close to the top of the list, i dunno if i can hang on though..........it seems like so far away i think i am going mad! flippin hell i am in college here and people can actually see me crying! shame!!
  • Options
    oh, Therese, hang on in there. You've hung on so long and through so much, you can weather this, too. And it sounds like you've had and got bigger things to worry about than being seen having a sob. I have no useful advice I can give you but I can tell you that from the little I know of you, I know you can cope. You have the mental strength and tenacity to starve yourself, train hard and try to face your demons. Help is on the way and it would be awful to chuck in the towel now. It'd be like being neck and neck in a 10k, and then 100 metres from the end, giving up because you aren't quite sure of what your time'll be. The last 100m hurt the most. But at the end, there's a cool drink of water and a whole load of people cheering you on. Please hold on, sweetheart. You'll make it, you will.
  • Options
    thank you......it makes me so sad to see the incredible support people on this thread give me, to the following people who have been especially supportive (in no particular order!) plodding hippo, duck girl, hoose goer, wedders, janey s and natasha frain thank you...your words have been holding me back from the edge, for sharing your experience and willing me on thank you...and jo.g i know your inas destructive a place as me so hang on in there with me, i dont know you but everytime i see your still alive i get a bit competitive and decide i better keep up with you!
  • Options
    Keep hanging on
  • Options
    Therese - A competition? Oooooooooooooo......now you're talking my language! I THRIVE when I'm challenged!!!! HE HE HE!!!! Although saying that, I hope this "game" has no loosers.

JaneyS. Your idea about some sort of chart with "good" /"bad" days has inspired me to do the same. I too am artistic, and I am known for making diagrams and charts and organising things nice and neatly. My only problem is sticking to them!!!

I'm submitting my PhD thesis in early July, and the next two months are going to be tough. I know anorexia is ready to pounce on me as things will get tougher, so I hope this plan is going to help me. 11 weeks worth of shedule are now on my wall, allowing for my exercise and studying, and also space for a green sticker for a "good day" and a red for a "bad day". A red sticker will go on the chart when I have succumbed to my ED habits.

Hopefully, by the end of these two months, I'll have a completed thesis and a wall full of green stickers.

Come on Therese, we can't let the ED win.
  • Options
    Just a slight suggestion for you, JoG - feel free to knock it back as I know we all work differently. But could you think of another way to concieve of your progress other than in the terms of 'good' and 'bad' days? I mean, first it's a totally harsh scale - I bet you are a perfectionist so even one 'bad' thing might potentially ruin an otherwise 'good' day.

But also, isn't quantifying our behaviour as good or bad some of the problem? Like, if we'd never fallen into the trap of thinking x body shape is good or bad, and then x food is good or bad, I reckon we'd all be doing the stuff that the EDs interfere with (like ruling the world, judging by the amount of woman-hours, discipline and mental toughness that is collectively present!)I mean the ED has multiple aspects - one is the behaviours associated - which we have all (grudgingly) agreed to change. But what about the thoughts that facilitate them? I know that grading myself is certainly one of the ED enabling conditions of my mental attitude - I wonder if it is one of yours? Dump the red and green and just buy some gorgeous, glittery stars and give yourself one everyday for making it to the end despite a whole load crap and a Phd to hand in.
  • Options
  • Options
    Wedders, you've got me right. Yes, I am a perfectionist, and yes, my best is never good enough. And I suppose you're right. Giving myself red or green stickers is a way of putting myself under more pressure, and again, you're right, I'll be judging myself. And you're also right that it's a very rigid plan. Which is probably why my schedules always fail!

But I am desparately trying to change, and trying things that seem to have worked for others in the hope that they might work for me...

Plodding Hippo - what's CBT?