Eating disorders article

Comments

• Boing

ah
    I didnt answer Therese question
    med doc
  • I've copied this from another thread becuase i suspect it'll get better answered here.

Originally posted by LyraOK:

Hi, I'm very new to all this, so please forgive me any lack of running knowledge.

Have been trying to kick my eating disorder, but finding it hard to let go of my weight obsession (my bmi's 18.1 - so fairly normal, but always fear that I am but a missed run or a doughnut away from morbid obesity). As an attempt to turn this into something healthier (know I can't go on as I have been), I am focusing on running to maintain a healthy body rather than a thin one.

I do feel at risk of substituting an eating disorder for running, or the latter becoming an integral part of the former. Does anyone have any advice?

Hx

I had an ED & was in hospital when i was 16 - have been out of treatment & at a stable weight for about 5 years now.
    Running was definitely part of my ED at the time - another sort of self-harm. I had to give up running for a year or so just to prove to myself that i could, and get over fear of missed run = instantly fat.
    After that, i think running has been a positive part of my recovery - it definitely helped my body image & attitude to food. Club running also helped me put it in a more 'normal' context - i was able to see how people who took running seriously but with a healthy attitude to it behaved, i'd got a reason to listen to people who said i was training too hard, and the social side was good too. However, i really did need the break from running so i could get some perspective back.

i do think there's a very real danger of just substituting (or adding) running for food issues.
    on the other hand, [moderate] excercise does have positive effects on mental health. i suspect you are going to have to negotiate this with your doc, particularly as you are likely to find it difficult to eat enough to get back to a healthy weight and to fuel running. if you do decide to keep running, do you think it would help to have a schedule or weekly 'mileage allowance' as a sort of 'ceiling' that you shouldn't run more than while you are still recovering? i think you might need to try quite hard to put in adequate rest days and not overdo it, but OTOH then the disadvantage of a schedule is that it could be very hard for you to miss a day if you really should through injury etc. also, you'll need extra fuel when you run - again, this is something you really need to talk to doc about.

Sorry i can't be more definite, & this is only based on my own experience.
    Well done for starting to make changes.
  • Cheers for that, duck girl, that's really sound advice. Had thought about joining a running club, but not seen it as something which could help me to regain my sense of perspective. Good idea.

Don't feel so alone in this shit since reading through this thread. Good to hear that so many of you have faced up to the challenge of an ED and overcome it. Well done to you all, you are an inspiration.

Therese, how are you doing? You've come through so much recently by the sound of things and i have huge admiration for you! Keep going, you're not alone.

• Hi all - I haven't read through all of the messages, just those on the first and last pages - so apols in advance if I repeat something that someone else has already said...
    There is a connection with ED / running / intense exercise that usually carries over into (those suffering it) work and home lives.
    I think they're obsessions that naturally form and knowing that small changes can have massive impacts to hard work done doesn't help.
    People who exercise intensively have endless procedures and rituals:
    (the time you exercise, the order of putting on gear, the specific clothes to wear on a certain type if run),
    routines:
    (can't eat a particular food the day before a particular distance, must eat this at that time) and
    habits:
    (have half a gluco drink before, then half after, but not if lifting weights etc ) The average non-exercising person simply doesn't have this. A curry and 3 pints on a Saturday isn't quite the same thing...
    It all contributes to seemingly odd behaviour, that in appears negative, but is fully intended to be positive.
    But the point is you HAVE to be obsessive to a point in order to "train" - and these little things are all part of that. Simply being able to push yourself hard means that you have this inbuilt reaction or inclination to obsess, I think.
    Waffle over...
    :-)
    for now...
  • Woo hoo! A whole set of ED related symptoms I don't have! Maybe there is hope for me!
  • Really!!??
    Well - I guess we all have some thing or another. I bet there's a whole lot more you wouldn't believe!
  • Yeah, my ed is largely related to not eating in various guises. Avoiding excess sugar, fat etc becoming a pathological avoidance of. In order to be thin and perfect. Quite simple really.
  • I GOT A BED......i got a bed, its on monday as an inpatient and its 360miles away (was thinking of running up!!!) EM quite scared about taking it now. my bmi is 19 now, so whoever wrote the one with 18.1 must think i am a big heiffer!! cool plodding hippo (WHY do you call yourself that??, also have you an ill daughter??) THANK YOU TO WHOEVER HAS HUGE ADMIRATION FOR ME BUT ITS NOT JUSTIFIED. most girls struggle through without freaking and coming to the edge and resorting to forums for suicide preventitive measures!. im frightnd of missing training for the next couple of weeks from both the weight point of view and fitness. will i explode in hospital because i am already very unhappy with the way i look...
  • Hurray Therese!
    I had a few thoughts about your fear. The thing is no one here or anywhere else will be able to tell you what'll happen to your body while you're in hospital (literal exploding does seem a bit far fetched). But what might happen - and this is what I'd be going for - is that you might change the way that you feel about it. So, your body might stay exactly the same - but right now, you're unhappy with that. What you want to go and learn is not how to be both extraordinarily thin/ 'eating normally' (secretly that's what we envisage when we think of getting better, right?) but not feeling the way that you feel that currently makes it so important to be thin. From an internal perspective 'being' thin and 'feeling' thin are not really all that related - I bet everyone here would still feel fundamentally 'fat' at six stone. So it's not being fat - it's feeling fat that you want to get over. In that sense, then, wondering what'll happen to your body when you're there is missing the point.
    With regard to running fitness, you'll be back in no time. What's a few weeks off if it's going to make for a lifetime of healthy running, without being in the grip of an ED?
    All easier said than lived. But I reckon the first steps to living it is saying it.
  • Hi therese im so glad you have finnally got a bed. It will be hard and scary taking it but it will pay off. It will give you the opportunity to focus completley on getting well (or at least as "well" as anyone with a history of ED can). Its very unlikley that you will explode even if you feel you will. The most impoprtant thing is to use this opportunity as best you can, because then you can get on with your life free from your ED. Best of luck x
  • Therese, my admiration is justified because i know what you're going through and to be taking the steps that you're taking makes you a stronger person, and that is to be admired. you can overcome this and i have faith in you to do so, even if at times you cannot find that strength in yourself. find that strength where you can and if that means coming here for suicide preventative measures, so be it. i'm sure i speak for all of us when i say that you're most welcome to do so! i think it's great that you have had the courage to do that, i know that asking for help is one of the first steps to getting better. well done and even if you won't give yourself a pat on the back, i will.

Good luck with absolutely everything, keep us posted. Will be thinking of you.

Lyra xx

• Therese - first good luck, and well done.

going into hospital was one of the hardest things i've ever done, & i didn't have much choice.

Something i've realised more & more is that there's my 'body image', which can instantly gain 10 stone from one choc bar if i let it, and there's what my body's actually like, where the one choc bar doesn't make any difference at all. I still weigh the same as when I came out of hospital, but my body image is a lot more positive - it might help if you can bear in mind when you are in hospital just how different your perceptions can be from reality. I remember thinking just before i went into hospital that i was so fat everyone must think i'm pregnant - but in a photo from then i can see now how ill i looked.

remeber you aren't just doing this so you'll be better in a few weeks - you are doing this so when you are an old lady you can look back on your life and think it was worth it, rather than seeing endless piles of calorie notebooks - in that context, a few weeks out is not much of a price to pay. You will get out. You will run again, if you want to - stronger & faster than before. It'll take some doing, but it can happen.

Also, don't be scared of 'exploding' there - it's almost what you are there for, and it is a lot better to be able to express how you feel when you are somewhere physicaly safe & just have to work on getting better, than a few years down the line when work, family, etc etc etc get inthe way.

On other ED boards I've been on, there's a rule about 'no numbers' - don't post weights, calories, BMI, whatever, and i think it's a good one, because the numbers aren't important, how you feel is.
  • duck girl....that was a really insightful and honest and true msg thank you! wedders your damn right, when i was 10 and 1/2 stone 8 and half stone would have been bliss but now its gimongous to what i used to be so that gives me great hope, that i may be the same but look at it differently....natasha..em you kinda scared me with the "well as anyone with an ed can be" does this mean that it really doesnt ever end???
  • Hi no i didnt mean it in that way. what you are experiencing now will end. What i meant was that an ed never completely dissapears but what does is its control over you. For example i still feel im fat BUT i know its all in my head so the ED doesnt take a hold. Most people agree that you can never completley get over an ED but you find ways of dealing with it so it cant effect you as much
  • anyone around............anyone, just moved very hastily out of home after a big fight with the parents, grabbed the bag id packed for hospital( didnt materialise) and went to hospital, pretty scary thoug. having an eating disorder and trying to try and eat normally in a comunal kitchen and count and i dont really know what im doing here........am i the only one who pushes those closest and most important away so that it doesnt hurt but when in fact it hurts even more and the grief is unbearable......... is there anywhere that puts people down.....humanely!
  • i didnt go to hospital i went to a hostel and im alone and afraid, very alone and very afraid. is this what the "big wide world" is like coz if it is i dont really want to be part of it any more.....its too sad
  • Therese
    do you mean you didnt take up the bed in the hospital, or that it wasnt available??

• therese
    go to the hospital. please.
  • train strike yesterday so bed was passed onto next girl have to wait til next one is dicharged, also im not sure if i deserve to be there i eat well (3000kcal a day nearly) and i am not very skiny i look like a runner but not a paula radcliffe unfortunalely! what if i get there and imk the fattest one there it'l drive me to cut food seriously, i am always very careful about cutting cals too drastically coz thats what i did last summer and out of fear of piling it back on i increased them REALLY slowly like 25 cals 4 times a week! but took up running at the same time and the weight just fell off even though i was "increasing what i felt was adequately. i hate the idea of cycling and am not sure what to do really i am FUCKED (scuze me language!)
  • you need to be there Therese
    how else are you going to get better
  • Therese, you do need to find help and you do deserve to be helped. eating disorders aren't all about weight, there's all kinds of other issues involved. a hospital will help you with these.

Please, therese, do go there.

Lxxx
  • Take your time, Therese, you're giving yourself too much to think about. You know you have an eating disorder, and you know you can't mend it on your own - because you've really really really tried. Go and get and accept help. It's not even a question of deserving help or not - that's like saying, 'does someone have the right to life or not?' And let's not kid ourselves that these things aren't life and death.

Do you think you could find a way to stop playing what if with yourself? - it's just such a no win game. What if you are the fattest there? Well, you'd feel bad, which isn't such an alien experience. What if you gain weight without learning to feel ok about that? Well, you'd feel bad, and hey, guess what - you can already conduct a whole life with such feelings, so it's not really such a huge leap. What if doesn't tell you anything useful.

One last thought about going to the hospital. I probably shouldn't say this, but if the whole thing doesn't work, you can go back to having an eating disorder any time you like, get thin, feel dreadful, whatever you like. But right now there is a chance you could experiment with a different way - why not risk it just for a few weeks? The very worst that could happen is that you will feel bad for a while. And you're used to that anyway. You haven't got your family round you and everything is up in the air anyway? Why not take a stable space for a few weeks while you figure out the rest of your stuff? Please go to the hospital Therese - if only to give it a trial, and to have a place to stay while everything is messed up at home.
  • therese - you are definitely going to feel like the fattest person there, i can remember nearly every new person who came in saying this! didn't make it true though.

as for 'deserving' a bed - you've seen what the waiting lists etc are like, do you really think they'd be offering you a bed if they didn't think you needed it? the docs there will have seen lots of people with ED's, & if they say you need a bed, that's coming off the back of an awful lot of experience & i wouldn't be inclined to argue.

'cycling' - i'm not going to pretend that it doesn't happen, and after you get out of hospital things are likely to be tough for a bit - but while you are in there you will be able to learn ways to cope with those feelings. if you don't get help, you are going to carry on having an ED, with all the screwing-up of your body that entails.
    If you do get help, then you have a chance to get away from all this crap. in hospital you'll have a 'safe place' to work with your feelings & food issues, and learn how to maintain a _stable_ weight and more positive body image. if you stay out, stuff really, really isn't going to get better. maybe you'll keep ticking over feeling like shit for a few years until someothing pushes you over the edge, maybe your weight will crash sooner and you'll wind up sectioned on a medical hospital ward for refeeding (belive me, you don't want that).
    you've got a chance now to stop this. to stop hating yourself. to stop the pain. it really can work. please take it.
  • hi kel, read your thread and think it's very brave of you to be facing your issues.

you're so not alone in the eating disorders battle. i first started to have problems with it when i was 14 (am 27 now), but it has been much worse over the last four years. i tend to fluctuate between periods of anorexia, with some bulimic behaviour (i throw up foods i don't regard as 'safe', but i don't binge as such). my doctor gave me a prescription for prozac and some suggestions for counselling, can't say i found her that helpful, but i know she did what she could for the symptoms i was presenting. i haven't taken the prozac, but i will if i don't feel that i am coping with things.

do feel that my running has helped enormously. i have to eat sensibly and respect what my body is telling me in order to keep running. in short, sounds silly, but i feel that i have made friends with my body now.

it definitely helps to talk about it, i started to do so pretty reluctantly when my boyfriend made me realise that what i was doing to myself was not healthy. this forum has been very helpful, i hope you will find it so too. feel free to email me if you want to.

good luck with it all!

Lx
  • Talking about it definately helps. Since this thread started, I have slowly slowly been reintroducing foods I have been scared of for years. It's not a totally straight forward, but it's certainly forward. Last week, I ate a chocolate bar. A chocolate bar! And what's more, I was able to eat for the rest of the day - the rest of the week, even - in a non-mad-diety way. And I didn't have to go for an extra run. I just fancied the chocolate bar, ate it and got on with the day! I can't tell you what a breakthrough that is. It's since we started talking about it - it's like I've dared to say it now, and I feel really acceptable and almost normal since everyone shared their stuff.
  • thats brilliant weders
  • :) for weders
    (remembers it being a huge deal when i ate my first ice-cream)
  • I ate something with cheese in the other day and kept it down!!! miracles can happen.
  • I do think it is a marvellous thing to read of people recovering like this