Elevated bilirubin level

Have just had blood test result back saying that my bilirubin level is high - they have taken two more tests (to double check - I guess). Question is - should I be worried? Had a look on the internet (big mistake) and mentions all sorts of scary things like liver disease etc. Any advice appreciated..

Comments

• Erm, why the blood test ? And does your doc not give you the results and explanation ?
  • was feeling tired and run down just before christmas. Have since been on holiday so feeling much better. Doc suspected anaemia since had sores at side of mouth, very pale and tired etc so advised the blood test. Was then asked by surgery to go back for a repeat blood test, when asked nurse taking blood why she said that the last results showed an elevated bilirubin level - wouldn't give any further info. Next doc's appointment isnt for another 2 weeks so that they have the results of second blood test - just wondering if this is something I should be worried about?
  • Depends how high the bilirubin level is. Can be caused by lots of different things.
    Could be Gilbert's Syndrome which is genetic and not a problem (has your bili been checked ever before?) Lots of viral illnesses cause high bili levels so it may improve spontaneously. Also nasty things can cause it, but the above are most common. I wouldn't worry quite yet, but you may need more tests to be sure.
    Hope that is of help!
  • thanks for the info and advice guy and gals ! Hopefully next test will be lower ? Fingers crossed - will let you know.
  • rach - the thing to ask is whether the bilirubin is the only test raised - if it is then the usual cause is Gilbert's syndrome (google it - not really an illness but leaves your liver slightly less robust in processing booze, medication etc). If there are other tests also raised then they will give a clue as to the cause. The vast majority of scenarios are not sinister.