Friday session

Last nights "marathon simulation" went quite well, 15 minutes warm up followed by 7km at my target marathon HR (75%), actually kept my HR at 158 - spot on and finished the course in 31:30 - (equivalent to 3:10 marathon pace) probably too fast (although felt quite easy) as I don't think I can do a marathon at that pace - might think about reducing to 70%. Overall a good trial session and I intend to add 15-20 minutes a week over the next three weeks to get a feeling for marathon pace.

Enough of that:

Todays session: Rest
Why: Really need it, cross training making me exceptionally tired plus want to keep knee on improvement trail.
Days since hard: Does yesterday count?
Days since rest: 7

Comments

• Well done, Martin. I trust your knee coped well with the session.

Today: Intervals on the treadmill, planning (for the first time since restarting training) to reach a massive, whizzical 7mph at the apex of the "ladder".

Why: It's raining and the rain looks set to stay; had a non-running day yesterday.

Last hard day: Wednesday.

Last rest day: Tuesday.

Then off to Harlech for a week from tomorrow - I'll take my running shoes, though.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Martin, very sensible to maybe reduce your marathon HR. Much better to finish strongly than to die after 20 miles. One thought which may be useful.

Today's session: what: 8.5 miles hilly conditioning run.
    Why: Hard session last night but feel quite lively today.
    Last rest day: Monday
    Last hard day: Thursday
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    What: Rest day.
    Why: I've earned it!
    Last hard: Supposed to have been Wednesday but last night ended up not being the easy session I'd planned.
    Last rest: Monday.

Can't get the hang of this 'recovery run' thing. Every time I go out to do a recovery run I end up running much faster than intended. Just about managed last night's 5 miles, which followed a 4-mile tempo run on Tuesday and a 3+ mile interval session on Wednesday. I think I need to restructure my schedule, as I'm always really tired by Thursday's run and it never feels very productive.

Long run is currently Sunday, followed by a rest day on Monday. I then run Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Trouble is that this means I end up doing two fairly hard sessions back-to-back (frowned upon, I know!) but I can't see a way round it other than to lose a hard session. Even if I swap my rest day to Tuesday, I can't really do a long run on Sunday followed by a tempo run on Monday. Running on Friday isn't really possible and although I occasionally manage a Saturday run this can't be guaranteed depending on our plans for the weekend. I supposed I could alternate intervals and tempo runs on a fortnightly basis, so I could do Sunday: long run, Monday: recovery run, Wednesday: intervals or tempo, Thursday: recovery.

If anyone has any better suggestions I'd be very pleased to hear them!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Having an easy week this week. My training follows working hard for 3 weeks and then on the 4th week reduce mileage and effort to recover.
    What: another rest day
    Why: to recover and maybe race this weekend
    Last hard day:Tuesday
    Last rest day:Wednesday
  • What: Nothing
    Why : I was supposed to go swimming at lunch time, but forgot my swimming kit :o(
    But it will give me a chance to fully recover before my race on Sunday ;o)

Last Hard Run : Yesterday (Fartlak session)
    Last Rest Day : Today
  • Minkin, hope I've read your post right, but why not do long run Sun, rest Mon, intervals/tempo run Tues, recovery run Wed and other hard session Thurs? That would mean always having a rest or easy day between hard sessions wouldn't it?

What: Rest day
    Why: feels like I need it, and I've decided to do the Kendal 1/2 marathon on Monday.
    Last hard: Tues
    Last rest: Monday, though I did do a 7 hr hill walk that day. Just checked last proper rest day in my training log: 10 days ago - aha, so that's why I'm tired!
  • Hope you have a lovely race on Monday, Laura. It must be wonderful to have the level of fitness that allows you to enter a half-marathon on an impulse and call a 7-hour hill walk a rest day. Something to aspire to!
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    What: rest day
    Why: right hip really killing me after 5k run yesterday. Most disappointed as was quite pleased with run.

Last hard day: ?yesterday (not as hard as usual)

Last rest day: Wednesday
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Laura,

Yes, you did read my post right! Very good point, and can't believe I hadn't thought of it like that. Hopefully I'll be able to manage the sessions I want to do if I do them in the order you suggest.

Just fed up with feeling knackered by Thursday with leaden legs that don't seem to want to go anywhere!
  • Yesterday: Nothing
    Today: Nothing

Saturday: Hour long cross country run around the park, just a steady run

Sunday: Interval training

Monday: Test myself at 5k see if speed has improved then rest until Wednesday club run of 7.5miles.
  • what - 3 m steady out harder back
    why - should be all steady but i will not be able to stop myself.
    last rest - Thurs
    last hard - Sun
  • What: nowt
    Why: rest today
    Last hard run: Thursday
    Last rest day: Today

Bit tired in general, so glad of a day off.

mm
  • Scenario: Seaside 5K race next Wed 28/8 . Also planned further ahead: 10Ks 15/9 (Hoylake), 22/9 (Mersey Tunnel), 5K (Seaside) 29/9, 10K (Chester Zoo) 13/10

Since rest day last Wed 14/8

15/8: 25 mins on grass, mainly easy
    16/8: 9.3K/5.8 miles hard
    17/8: no run but long cricket innings on hot day
    18/8: 5 miles at 6:30 pace
    19/8: 4 x 1 mile interval session off limited jog recoveries (i.e. speed endurance session)
    20/8: 43 minutes v easy on beach/road, mean HR 135
    21/8: 4.1 miles/6.65K hard
    22/8: intended easy run on grass - terminated at just over 2 miles (with last 1/2 mile q hard) when realised wouldn't make it to Safeway in time before it closed & would face frosty reception from Mrs S in consequence.

this morning: legs feel not too bad
    tomorrow: cricket match scheduled.

Really can't make my mind up what to do tonight....so - you, the jury, can decide What - and Why
  • Vrap, don't be too inspired; haven't run more than 10 miles on the road since June so may regret my impulsive decision! And the hill walk was with the kids which as we both know is at 1/10 of the pace you or I would walk on our own.
    BTW Marmite Master, just read glowing report on the nutritional benefits of marmite for cyclists in my husband's cycling mag - apparently the B vitamins work in synergy to release energy from fat, and the salty taste is not all salt but a result of the fermentation process. Shame it tastes like the scrapings from the bottom of an old frying pan.
  • I have marmite toast every week day and I love it. But it's true what they say you either love it or hate it.
  • Laura - what's the matter with the scrapings from the bottom of the frying pan? BCB's as my son calls them - burnt crunchy bits, are often the best part!

What: walk dog, then pool exercises and short swim (250m) then my 8M run - v. pleased: 1:40, including stretching break, walking break, and stop to talk to an old friend.

Seemed much easier than the last time I tried that loop (I've only done it three times). I ran the first third very steadily. After half an hour I pushed the pace and ran some stretches faster than others. The bit along the river was for Cath - I pretended I was Drew. The bit up-hill was for my man, who has been a bit hunted by the black riders of late - I pretended I was Laura. The last long, rather more boring third I did 10 slow, 10 fast, 20 slow 20 fast etc, up to 60 and back, just to avoid looking at the long stretch of road and considering my slug like progress on it. The homestretch I pretened I was Ironman, ran h!ll for leather (my version thereof). That was for Elizabeth. Then jog/walked back to the house.

But I could, still, at the end do something with my legs beyond just getting the one before the other. Admittedly the right is rather better than the left at the job, and both feet by then tended to resemble flippers that tangle rather than aid the process, but it's getting better.

It helps to name the stretches after people. And it helps to pretend I'm somebody else. I really do go faster when I'm someone else.
  • And Vrap, have a good holiday.
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    What: 30 mins frontcrawl in pool
    Why: will make me feel better after pants run yesterday and am still recovering from my mega-run (for me!) on Tuesday
    Last rest day: Weds
    Last hard day: Tues
  • V-rap - the knee was definitely stiff for the first five minutes of my warm up but then felt OK. I think I have it under control (by avoiding hard intervals and avoiding running downhill too fast plus lots of stretching and massage) - most of all I just want to make it to the marathon.

Minkin - When I'm injury free I don't mind doing a hard session back to back with a long run, after all a weekend gives you time to relax so you could switch your Monday and Tuesday run.

MikeS - Suggested session. Your current training seems to be long intervals or tempo - seems like you could do with some "sharpeners" at faster than you mile interval pace e.g. how about 8 x 2 minutes (600 metres?) fast, 2 minutes slow. Why? To build base speed.

Caz - I'm also a big marmite fan, everyweekday morning like you. BUT it must be spread really thin. PS Like the new photo!
  • What: zilch: unscheduled rest day.

Why: wretched night with side effects from bone marrow therapy - but it beats the alternative.

May go for walk in park later, if fever and nausea subside. Feel weedy and unheroic, like Woody Allen on a bad day. Hope to have a good set of runs of weekend, though.

PS: with all due respect to Marmite Master, Marmite tastes weird. It's like the malt loaf (on a different thread), a very U.K. taste.
  • Hope you feel a lot better soon, Dalya - you're the exact opposite of Woody Allen or his screen personae with their ability to take a privileged existence and turn it into a burden.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    What: Swim - no particular plans, just get used to being in the pool for Sunday's Traithlon.

Why: Legs have had enough of a bashing in the last week (52 miles cycling, 28 miles running) so need to be rested before Sunday. I tend to swim arms only (not a conscious triathlon tactic, just lack the necessary co-ordination) so my legs will get a break.

Saturday: Rest, but going out for a meal with Mr Nessie (together 1 year - Ahhhhhh) so I'll need to choose high carb chinese meal :-)

Sunday: Triathlon - 500m swim, 18k cycle, 5k run. Target time 1:25 (Last year 1:39)
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    What : Rest
    Why : Friday is always rest day
    Last Hard day : Thursday
  • What: 27.35 pb round usual loop (approx 2.6 miles - I'm a newbie!)
    Why: foolishly asked Mr KC (the unofficial coach!) to push me harder when running

Saturday: 25-30 mins fartlek
    Last hard day: today wasn't that easy!
    Last rest day: Tuesday
  • What:
    AM - 2400m swim
    PM - 4 mile easy run
    Why - Going home to Cornwall this evening for the bank holiday weekend so don't have any time to fit anything else in
    Days since last hard - Tuesday
    Days since last rest - Last Thursday

Good luck in the tri on Sunday Nessie :o) Is it an open water or pool swim?

Gareth
  • Martin, I agree thin marmite. I used to go to one cafe (foreign) and they thought it was like chocolate spread; I was almost sick! (The toast has to be lightly done and chewy as well!)

P.S. the photo isn't new as such, but it's not distorted like the other one!
  • Caz, I have to hop on the kiwi bandwagon at this point, and say that the NZ marmite is much nicer!
  • Marmite - YUK. You may as well chew on an oxo

Will
  • Is that the same as Vegemite? I love Vegemite too, I think slightly milder than marmite.