JOIN ME ON THE WAGON!

Comments

• Where's Bunbury to stick up for me???

On a serious side I've found this thread really helpful. Before when I've stopped drinking for a week or so I've always found myself in a pub saying yes to a drink after maybe the second or third round just as everyone is looking as if they're really enjoying themselves - and then carrying on drinking until I get fed up with it again

I think I've found it easier this time just because I think about the thread, other peoples experiences and where drink fits into my life as a whole from day to day.

It also reminds me to clean the bath regularly and I've learnt about sports bras and W H Auden
  • See, it enriches your whole life. Sometimes I wonder how I found the time to drink so much. Every evening there would come a point where I couldn't read or do puzzles or type coherently. Now I can do what I want when I want and that's worth so much more. And at least I'm at the stage now where people at work have really stopped asking me about it - when are you going to start again and all that.
  • Seven months is great but the most impressive bit is the no drinking on holiday - I was in a mild panic when you mentioned it - I still can't imagine being on holiday and not drinking - there's so much of the world left that hasn't seen me drunk!

When you stopped did you know/plan to be not drinking in seven months - I'm only interested because I initially only planned to give up for Jan.

I'm not asking you 'when are you starting again' - most of my friends seem to think it's important for me to start drinking before their birthdays -
  • When I stopped it was just going to be for August. I realised then how much I had been drinking and it seemed to take ages for me to settle down - I was really restless in the evenings not knowing what to do, slept really badly and just felt out of sorts for weeks. At that point I figured that I might as well carry on not drinking because I clearly needed to. But I've never put an end date on it because that was too scary. Still haven't. So in theory I could have a drink tonight. However, now the drink is in perspective and I enjoy life so much more that it now seems more scary to start again because I worry I'd be just like I was and nothing would have changed. And that's not what I want. So I'm going to trundle on as I am. I have to say that it really doesn't bother me now. Now I plan things without drink - wedding is in June, won't be drinking, France in May - will be a bit weird but no drinking. Once I've done something I'm ok about it the next time.

It's funny how old habits catch you. Recently we went swimming, hadn't done for ages. I got back in the car and thought, 'bottle of wine' which must have been what I'd always had previously.

My Mum read a thought provoking yoga thing about breaking habits. I can't remember precisely but it was something like it takes a week to stop a habit, three months to confirm that break and three years to change it completely. Makes sense from my experience. And if it takes three years before I can think, 'I'd like a glass of wine with my meal' and know that one glass is all I will want then I might start drinking again. But until I can do that, I'd rather not at all.

Does that make any sense or shall I continue talking knickers?
  • lots of sense. thats really helpful. im truly back on wagon and not crying into my boots like yesterday! i agree SW-its just an impulse thing sometimes wher you just "fancy" a drink....and you are right, habits dont just break overnight.

FF-the black enell is better than the white one...no sweaty marks (lovely for you boys to know!!)
  • Hi all - I hope your feeling better today laura - how did it go last night at the osteopath?

Its interesting to read about the breaking of habits over time - I can't even see the three year mark at the mo but the end of March will be 3 months - we'll see

FF- hows the calf feeling today

Bunbury - read some info about knee ligaments this morning (lots of cold water on face to stop me passing out) - have you thought about cycling and giving this running up for a lark until it feels better? (only joking)
  • For me it's forever: no other option.
  • Hi Sass - how longs it been (and what's your attitude to coloured pants)
  • Good morning you lot!

JD: Love it, just love it! cool y fronts.

Calf ok. Just done 6 miles of steep hills and feeling really good. Decided to go out shopping for some better waterproofs today though.

1 week off the booze and my skin is looking clear and plump and I'm feeling really good. Think it may be enough to keep me tea total for a while, but will probably drink on my holiday and special occs still.

Hubby is definately hiding bottles!
  • Why - is he starting to 'clink' every time he moves?

What waterproofs are you going for - I've some Ronhill waterproof tracksters and a Insport jacket (have I mentioned it's covered in bird poo) which is also V good.

• I'm on about 50 days now, although not particulary counting, cos I know it's forever (although not in the least complacent - I know how close the edge will always be).

Mine are all coloured. Prefer black because that's what most of my top clothes are, due to job, so there's less risk of show through! Like things to match though, and have a couple of rather fetching shades of purple and turquoise!
  • Like i've mentioned before, I'm the one who goes to the bottle bank on a Friday. On wednesday I put them all in a crate and counted 21 bottles. On Friday when I took them to bottle bank, i counted 21 bottles! I know wed and thur night he drank at least 5 bottle in total....so where have they gone??? its a mithstery (in the words of Toya).

Not sure what weatherproofs i'm getting, will see what they have. Don't mind as long as they don't let the rain in .... pink ones would be cool though.

SR: Good for you hun! I personally like me pink undies, but agree on the matching thing.
  • JD-sad...in a way i like the biscuit with pants...but how do you earn enough to live?

FF-well done!
  • I don't understand the question - if you mean I spend too much time mucking about instead of working you're right - but I'm self employed so the only threat to myself is to pay myself less and so far I keep paying myself fine.

Watch it cheeky or I'll invoice you for this post!

• Oh eck, it's gone bonkers again. My apologies: I've spent this morning listening to a madman talking about geophysics.

Love the pants, JD. SO you. "a cross between Sideshow Bob and shane Macgowen who runs around Mam Tor at 6am with stripy pants and snow in his shoe": yup, that'll be it. Hold that image.

I had my induction at the gym last night and discovered that I get a personal training programme for free, which I can make running-specific. First session on Friday morning - I'm very excited. :D

I was thinking last night and have realised that I seem to be approaching running in the same way as I've approached everything else, including alcohol. I seem unable to do things by halves. I turned to drink in response to specific problems, and running seems to fill the gap that alcohol left. It gives me something else to care about and I now don't know what I'd do without it (JD, even your joke brought me out in a cold sweat). Funny thing.

How did the osteo appointment go Laura?

Peace,

Bunbury.
  • Crikey - I've just forbid myself from paying myself any salary this week due to shirking. - I would o'gotten away with it if it wasn't for laura.

Bunbury - when's your next Dr appointment - the more I read about ligaments the more I worry about your knees.

(and i'm worried about Laura's back even if she is cheeky)

• JD yes you dont deserve any money-but then if you pay yourself in jammies dodgers its not so much of a problem is it!

bunbury, JD and all-osteopath-getting there-juts want to get fit again...had such big plans...wanted to do kingston 16 on the 2nd april-no way! but aiming for dublin marathon in october as a goal...thanks for asking. it feels ok now, but as the week goes on it tends to get worse, but fingers crossed this time.

and bunury, i am exactly the same, thats why you can probably understand why im so depressed about not running. i think runners as a whole have addictive personalities, and its like a drug in itself. i am the same with drugs, drink, study, and running. but at least with running its mostly productive (although i can barely even walk at the moment but i dont think it was caused by running). funny that i dont actually have that attitude towards my job though...!!!

• <<Comes in with shopping bag and smile on face having spent far too much money on a coral pink weatherproof running jacket, the blue one was cheaper>>

Can't agree more with the addictive personality and not doing things by halves. That's me too. And I have to have all the gadgets .... preferably in pink if available. :)

Calfs feeling loads better. Had some Diclofenac and slept in support socks .... mmmmmm attractive. But if it works.
  • would the hubby even have noticed the socks after his skinful?! thats rude, sorry but you seem to be really motivated in contrast to what you tell us about him!

• Sorry - pink can be very nice - especially when contrasted with black.

Crikey.....
  • I really like pink! It makes me smile. And yes I either contrast it with black or graphite grey and it works well.

I also own:

Pink HR monitor
    Pink stethescope
    Pink theatre shoes

Its a girl thing.

No worries Laurac. I really don't think he noticed them anyhow. And I suppose I am quite motivated when I try hard.... thanks.
  • I thought theatre shoes had to be white clogs?

(don't talk about blood)
  • Yup, but mine are pink clogs. Have been repeatedly told that they're not uniform but one must have ones principles.

• Clogs should be black with bells on!
  • clogs, knickers, bras?! i need a drink...

FF-im afraid they dont do ennells in pink...i personally dotn like pink-it gets dirty too quickly!
  • We're not back to morris dancers are we SW

FF where do you buy pink clogs for theatre - don't tell me you wear just pink normal clogs - you'll tell me you've tie dyed your tunic next!
  • Well, you charged me with dragging the tone of this down so I'm trying my best!

I liked purple until it became our uniform colour