JOIN ME ON THE WAGON!

Comments

• Hee hee, Mr FF bought them for me image

• Afternoon Wagon!

FF - shades are really cool. *respect* on your times - you really are speedy!

Elle - the new job sound fascinating - good on you! Glad the running's going well too.

Off to the Peak District this weekend for a Unitarian conference, but am hoping I'll be able to get a bit of walking done.

*waves to anyone else around*

• Morning all!

Very quiet round here - we'd slipped on the second page!

PW - how was the conference, and did you manage to get any walking done?

FF - sounds like a great run, and well done on beating the blokes image  When in Sept is the Windsor 10k? May well be up for that!

New job starts on July 7th, and I've got loads to finish off before then so I'm trying to stay calm. Where's Buns with the banana leaf when you need him?? 

• Afternoon all!

Isn't it quiet? So glad you posted Elle - was beginning to think I'd been deserted! The conference was great - very intensive, but we got a lot done. I had fully intended to do some walking, but I've pulled a muscle in my back, and all that sitting didn't do it any good at all. So I just went back to my room and lay down between sessions, I'm afraid. Went swimming this morning though, and feel a lot better for it.

Have decided that I must get back on to the wagon properly - a weekend in Hucklow always has that effect - the food is wonderful and the portions are large! So I've bought the latest issue of the Rosemary Conley magazine, and am going to restrict myself to a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend. I only need to lose 10 lbs or so, so hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult image The only problem is Mr PW - he's a wonderful resolution sabotager - phones me up on his way home "I'm going to stop off at Tesco's for some booze - do you want any?" and before I know where I am I've said yes ... I need some willpower and support from all lovely wagonites please!

Bet you're excited about the new job - it sounds like a good one! But I can remember how hairy it was trying to get everything finished off before leaving - good luck with it! But after 4th July (your independence day!) it will be an SEP [Somebody Else's Problem].

*waves to FF and anyone else around*

• FFS!!! I have just typed a huge long post and then lost it!!!!!

Now I can't be bovvverrrreddd!

*waves to all*

• *Walks back in post cuppa tea! points oscilating fan in Elle's direction due to severe lack of banana leaf operating technicians*

I have just finished a three day course on 'Leadership' ....yes, THREE DAYS!!!! Still, at least the venue was only 7 miles away and I was able to compensate for this rude invasion on my 'running time' by cycling there and back each day...including my weekend cycling (another picnic in the Forest) I have clocked up 60 miles on the bike this week and my bum seems to have survived with the helpful advice from Tele et al...thanks.

PW: Hope your back is getting better.  Good luck with the Rosemary Connolly diet....does she do low GI???? I'm still gradually losing weight (about 1lb a month) by just keepiing my food low GI, portion control and uping my exercise.  I'm down to 9st 9lb and although I guess thats a healthy weight at 5'5 I am finding that the smaller I get the easier my running becomes....I think I'll stop at 9st though as I tend to look quite old once I go below that.

Elle: It's hard to imagine how your company will cope without you but I'm sure they'll manage somehow so don't get too stressed about it....like PW said SEP!!!!  I bet you're dead excited though.  The Windsor 10k is on a Saturday and to date I've been declined annual leave, but I will ask the more influential this weekend and let you know if I manage to get it off and apply.

• Morning All,

FF - 60 miles in a week is pretty good - tell us more about the leadership course? Yes, Rosemary Conley is low GI and also low fat (nothing over 5%) so it's really a matter of eating healthily and sensibly and Cutting Down On the Booze. 9st 9lb at 5'5" is a very healthy weight - you don't need to lose any more! I'm 5'2" and 9st 6 - so I do! ITS daughter is also getting preoccupied about her weight and shape - don't know why - she's got a fabulous figure, so I've suggested cutting down on chocolate (which is a major addiction) and doing more exercise. Must keep an eye on her- she's just the right age to do something daft, like being too hard on herself.

Back is getting better slowly - it's a flippin' nuisance. But swimming seems to help, which is a relief.

• Actually PW that makes your BMI 24 which is a healthy weight too, but whats healthy and whats desireable are two different things.  My eldest daughter (who leaves school next year...I can't believe it), shed loads of weight very suddenly and went down to 8st at 5'7  ..... I did worry a tad about her becoming obsessed, but I explained that when she starved herself her breath was 'minging' and she could affect her bone density making her prone to a hump back when she was older and pointed out that she had no t*ts I think she saw the sense .... she is now 9st 4 and still very skinny but healthy (unfortunately, still no t*ts though ... oops).

The Leadership course was about empowering your team rather than mothering them.  Delegating work correctly and managing peoples 'unhealthy  behaviours' including your own.  For example, I feel the need to be sarcastic and light hearted about most situations and some of those can be inappropriate (especially in a health care setting)....so I need to learn to manage that image  When I am put in charge of the ward I run around like a blue ar&e fly tryiing to help everyone doing things for them that they are more than capable of doing themselves and that is very inefficient apparently.  It was also about finding a structured way to solve problems and gain a consensus when making decisions...........3 DAYS!!!!  But it was a lovely cycle through the countryside...although my knees are a bit sore today.  Back to work tonight.

My sunglasses arrived yesterday so I'm off for a slow plod through the woods to try them out in a minute .  Have a lovely day everyone xxx

• Morning Wagon!

And a lovely bright and sunny Monday morning it is too! Off for a swim this morning, then work for the rest of the day. Back feels much better thank goodness.

FF - the leadership course sounded very interesting. Hope you had a good weekend. We went over to Mum & Dad's yesterday to celebrate No. 1 son's 18th birthday (belatedly - it was the first w/e we could all manage) and overdosed on Mum's very delicious, very rich lasagne. Back to the diet today! But was good in the evening, just had two Becks alcohol-free lagers. No wine until Friday!

*waves to rest of wagonites on distant horizon*

• Morning PW, FF has also over indulged somewhat this week with an Indian takeaway Saturday night!  The leadership course was quite interesting, I'm just not one for bums on seats all day! 

Bike riding over the weekend was a disaster with LFA refusing to cycle home once we were 3 miles out in the middle of Romsey somewhere...so Mr FF had a tantrum and rode off back to the car leaving me and LFA in the middle of no where and if he hadn't have cycled back just before we reached the car he would have been eating rubber for a long time!! Then the whites of my eyes decided to blister and swell on the way home (hayfever) which required a stop off at the walk in clinic just to wait an hour and a half to be told...yes its hayfever, take some antihistamines and lie down with an ice back on my eyes!!!

Have just got back from an 11 mile run and found that the cure for a nagging pain in the knee at mile 7 was to go arse over tit at mile 8...as following this incident with my shoulder taking the brunt of the fall....my knee no longer hurt and the adrenaline helped me finish the last 3 miles in record time.  However.....my shoulder is now swollen and purple and I'm struggling to lift my arm.

So begins another week with a 'Safeguarding Children' course Tues and Weds followed by nights shifts on Thur/Fri and Sat!  I don't think I'm going to be able to do this without alcohol.

• Oh dear FF - poor you! ((FF)) What a chapter of disasters! Are you sure you should be working with a damaged shoulder (not to mention hayfever and a nagging knee)? I agree, I think you deserve the odd glass of wine!
  • Im now joining this group as a last resort!!!! Drink far too much these days for no apparent reason.
  • Pull up a chair DM and convince me theres something wrong with that image

• Hi guys. I am officially now tee total. decided to give up drinking completely on 12.06.2008- thats a long time ago as far as im concerned!!. Im an all or nothing kinda gal so decided to take the plunge. hasnt been as hard as i thought it would be- i just feel damn anti social. will you all be my friends when my drinking mates abandon me?!!!
  • Course we will confused.com! Although you should know that some of us drink (mainly in moderation, unless we are under pressure!) But we're very sociable.

Morning FF, DM! Off for a swim this morning, then the rest of the day to be spent writing a 2,000 word essay about Jewish identity for my OU course. Wot larks!

• Morning everyone...hello to new peoples!! 

Confused.com I am so like you....I have managed to tee-total for a few weeks at a time...but I become so serious.....albeit that I feel so much better physically.  But as PW says...we are quite sociable (some more than others  ..... Bunbury, JD, VT ....where are you!!!)  Thing is....you don't find the same things funny when you're sober....in fact...some of them just plain annoy you!

Good luck with the 2,000 words PW....that sounds like heavy stuff.

I've finished my two day 'Safeguarding Children' course.....very heavy stuff.

• Good evening! Im here now! again. Im having some diet coke and no beer, even after a long 15 miler, thats a 1st im telling you
  • Morning!

Another beautiful morning - enjoy, all you lucky folk who can go for a run. Finished the TMA in about 4.5 hours, which I was pretty pleased with. Hope the tutor is too.

FF - how did the course go? You're on nights for the rest of the week aren't you? Any races coming up?

Hello DM - have you tried Becks no alcohol lager? It actually tastes quite nice, and generally fools my brain into thinking that it's having something nice to drink image Well done on the 15 - miler.

• Afternoon!

Yes I am supposed to be on nights for the rest of the week but unfortunately by 0300 this morning  having delivered a baby my poorly arm seized up and I couldn't withdraw the plunger on a syringe.....to cut a long story short...my boss sent me to A&E where they have put my arm in a sling and signed me off for the rest of the week with some physio!!!!  Can't believe I can end up with my arm in a sling as a 'running' injury!!!!

I have now got my interview date for the Supervisors post which is 16th July....so wish me luck....can't believe its still going on!

DM...well done on the no alcohol and the 15 miler ..... I'm sure someone said once that it gets easier the longer you go without it....I'm hoping I might get to experience that one day image

• Evening All!

FF - poor you! Lots of luck for your interview.

Have spent the day down at the British Museum in London for the OU course - very interesting, but hot and tiring on the feet and back.

• Hi All I have been reading for a while and it's about time I jumped in...

I am a new runner. Brand spanking new in fact. I used to orienteer for Lancashire schools up to age 16 and then I had to give up due to two humungous boobs that would not stop growing. Anyway fast fwd 16yrs and I had a reduction operation in March of this year. It was meant to be the turning point, I'd taken yrs to get the courage to got to the GP about the op. All I wanted to do was run, wear fitted clothes and get rid of all those 'stares'. The op went well but due to complications I ended up having 2 further ops resulting in a partial mastectomy on the left side and now I am waiting on a reconstruction. But it's all positive in my eyes - worse could have happened.

Why join this thread?? Well I drink far too much, I weigh far too much and have set tomorrow June 30th as the 1st day of the rest of my life. No alcohol, I'll be running to a schedule (I need structure or I lapse too easily) and generally becoming healthier. I aim to compete in a 5k by sept/oct - an achievable target for me!, then go from there. I will lose wight, get fit and make some friends along the way - probably lose a few aswell, and when it comes time for my reconstruction op - recovery may be easier and faster??

So hello image)
  • Hiya Hetstar!!!

Well, what an entry!!!!  Sounds like you've been through a tough time in the boob department too.  FF had quite nice B cups when she left school then had four children ..... long story short.....pregnancy gave me E cups, the kids ate them and left me with AA thingies....so I had implants....so am no a 34D but having since taken up running am in that category where they get in the way and elicit unwanted attention.  However, a reduction is not for me I'm afraid....far too complicated.

There...thats the icebreaker!!!

I stay on this wagon as I am a drinker...but every now and then I find I'm drinking far to regularly and heavily....so it just keeps me mindful and from time to time I'll go tea-total for a couple of weeks to prove I'm not an alcoholic! 

Welcome aboard!!

• Hey FF - how can one persons boobs change so much!!! that's impressive!! I'll say no more about my boobs after this...(what on earth got me started!!) I was at least a K cup b4 the op and now about an F on the 'good' side. That could well change as even that side is not healing perfectly and I have either scar tissue or fat necrosis either way it's wait and see as it could either soften or need further surgery. Have appts with plastics and breast care at the end of July about the recon op - one good thing is it mat involve a tummy tuck if that method is best for me. Anyway...
    Thanks for the welcome and I hope tomorrow, for me, goes smoothly!!!
  • Morning all,

I'm a bog standard 36C myself, but know people with big boobs, and what a blight they can be.

Like FF I stay on the wagon as a drinker, but try only to drink at the weekend. Good luck with today, dear Hetstar, but don't beat yourself up if you slip a little - we're always here for you.

The promised blitz on the house went according to schedule yesterday, was comprehensively knackered by the end but feel Much Better for having a clean and tidy house! Off to Evesham this morning for a meeting with the President's Committee to review what I've been doing since the beginning of May and to decide what I should be doing until September. Deep joy!

FF - how is the arm? 

• Morning PW and HS!

My arm is much better thanks PW but I had to endure a weekend of Mr FF making me wear my sling whilst trying to carry out my household chores which just made life difficult and my neck ache....Despite the 'ban' from Mr FF I have been out for a gentle 4.5 miler this morning and the arm seems ok if not a bit shakey....so up his bum with his bliddin rules!!!  Back to work for me on Wednesday.  However, the time off has given me the opportunity to get my professional portfolio together.

Can't believe I get sent home sick with a bad arm and the rest of my body has decided to jump on the band wagon....woke up this morning with a really sore throat and a bit of a cold....hoping the run should scare some bugs away.

HS.... think FF might join you on the wagon for a bit.  My weight has plateau'd a bit and I'm definately drinking too much wine again....as is Mr FF....so may just see where that takes me for a bit.

Waves to all....hope your meeting is productive PW!

• Evening All!
    Day 1 has gone well so far. I am following the 8wk to 5k schedule that I found on here. I ran/walked 2.5miles in 33mins. I know that is piddly but I haven't exercised for a few yrs and have put some weight on since then especially since my op(s) in March and May due to feeling sorry for myself eating and drinking too much... Anyway I was pleased with that and I am going to log all my training and see if I improve.
    I'll save the seat next to me for you FF!! I'll be at the back where the naughty people sit image
  • hi guys,

whilst we're talking boobs-  before i took up running i was a 32 double nothing, so i had a boob job, i am now a 34 dd. with hindsight it probably wasnt the best thing to do as i get bachache now sometimes after running. and i cant find a good sports bra which stops the bounce- ive put alot of pain and money into my boobs and now theyll prob hit my knees!! Any suggestions girls? 9ive tried enell - doesnt stop bounce and shock absorbers rip me to shreds.

Still no beer whatsoever for me- did tell you  all i was an all or nothing type of girl. However, i am eyeing up a bottle of wine at the mo as I have picked up an achilles injury and am hobbling around feeling soz for meself at the mo.

HS- you go girl. How has today been?

• Evening all! And welcome to the new peeps image

Quick one from me as it's all a bit hectic chez elle right now...last week at work and I'm desperately trying to finish stuff off, although I realise that I can't do everything and that the world will continue turning without me there image  Really looking forward to starting new job now.

Have got a 10k on saturday morning but haven't been out running for a few days...not sure I'm going to make it. Hmmm.

Hope everyone's ok! Take care all - esp FF - running with a sling?! Are you mad?? Don't answer that one image

• hi confused - know exactly what you mean about shock absorbers - ripped to shreds just about sums it up!! Well done on the no beer.