Oxford Town & Gown 10K

Comments

• The closing date is 19th May according to website I looked at today.
  • I looked at the website and under Entries it says:

Entries from the form on this site are now closed. However, you can still enter via Active Europe until 14th May.
    This site provides facilities to both register your entry and pay online. It costs an extra 10% to do this, but it eliminates the need to print the form, write a cheque and post it all off (and, of course, saves the cost of the postage) - a small price for the extra convenience.

Since they need to send out chips for the timing and the race is on the 21st, I wouldn't have thought they'd allow entries until the 19th. Are you sure you're looking at the 2006 site (which seems to have changed a lot from 2005):

http://oxfordtownandgown.org/
  • I'v ejust checked on ActivEurope and it definitely says 19th May and definitely 2006.
  • Ah! So you were already looking at the Activ Europe sign.

I'm still wondering how OTG will get the race number and chip sent out in one day though, especially given that the Oxford postal service is notoriously slow.

I'd get your entry in now if I were you. Hope to see you there.
  • I think they'd probably give the number out on the morning. I seem to remember people queuing up last year to get them.

I'm already entered anyway!
  • What do you think of the oxford route? Is it all flat or some hills? Any tips of where to surge and conserve!
  • I'll be running this race next week, but I fear I will be quite slow. I ran my first half marathon a month ago and since then my training seems to have gone to pot. I will get around this by hook or by crook but am expecting 70 minutes plus - Will I be last???
  • Hello

It's flat, from what I remember. Quite a fast route, so good for a PB.

Loobyloo, don't worry. You won't be last and there's good support for all runners.

Do it and enjoy! I have been very slow and sluggish since FLM but am just looking forward to enjoying the day.

:-D
  • Anyone aiming for 46mins? What timing r u aiming for Sweetest?
  • Loobyloo - absolutley not. My pb is 73 mins. Have done next to no training lately, so not likely to run any where near as much as I would like. You ain't gonna be behind me unless you tie your shoe laces together!!
  • Hi Julian.

Well,last year I did 55 and I don't reckon I've improved much over the year!

(I'm a bit of a plodder, but enjoy the party at the back!)
  • My PB is still stands at 49mins but have been training quite hard. However I have no clue as to what time i will be clocking. I will be more bold and aim at a faster pace ..taking the risk , given that you all say that is a fast route
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    I'm up for beating my PB of just over 40 mins.

Been told I'm pretty fast but at 48 I'd class myself as an old git and a bit slow. Just wish I'd carried on running when I left school (was a county cross country runner).

Bought a Garmin Forerunner 201 late last year and to be honest its the best bit of kit you could ever buy. I now go out for a training run and have an idea what the exact distance was I ran, gone are the days I had to go out in my car to confirm the distance. Racing takes on a new perception in that I know exactly what my times per mile are and can judge running a race alot better. When I download the runs to my PC I can tell exactly what I was doing for the whole run, even where the hills were.

Hope you all get the times you are hoping for.
  • Why, thank you , Darkman! Sounds like you are a superfast runner!!

<trundles along behind.....>
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    Sweetest Thing

I really don't think I'm superfast althought I ran my first marathon this year which was the FLM in 3hrs 23mins. 55mins is a good time for a 10k race
  • Darkman, trust me, you are superfast!!!

But I'm quite happy to be more of a plodder.

See you on the 21st!

(PS You look good for 48, if that's a recent photo!!)
  • FootpadFootpad ✭✭✭
    ST I am on for a 54 so look out for me in a Fetch vest. Of course I have gone and tweaked my knee but it wont stop me from having a go!

Hope everyone enjoys the day and the weather is kind.

Looking forward to it
  • Morning, Footpad! I'll look out for you. I haven't yet decided what item from my extensive running wardrobe I'll wear.... ;-D

Should be a good day - seem to be plenty forumites turning up. Last year the organisers set up a meeting point for all the RW runners. Think it's worth asking them to do it again?

Hope your knee is okay.
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    <blushes>

ST the photo was taken last summer but don't think I've aged much but believe me I did feel 90 after finishing some races.

I'll be wearing the same top at this race with "Barrow Runners" on the back but as with most of these races I usually miss seeing alot of people from these forums. If anyone notices me just give us a slap to wake me up.
  • Hey Darkman, as a fellow Garmin 201 devotee I agree with you 100%! All that lovely data!

But watch out: it's made me even more dull at parties!

Time for a numbers and times list? I'll start one:

Mark Clay - 36 - 46:00
  • Well, I've done it. I'm doing the race, no going back now. Furthest I've run so far but reckon I can do it. Loobyloo will not be the last! Reckon I'll be nearer the 80 minute mark - and that might be being generous! Don't think. I was designed for speed.
  • FootpadFootpad ✭✭✭
    Footpad - 1149- 55:00

Look out for the Fetch vest :-)
  • Mark Clay - 36 - 46:00
    Footpad - 1149- 55:00 (Fetch vest)
    RunLikeTheWind 2422 - 73:00
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    Darkman - 1493 - 39:00
  • Mark Clay - 36 - 46:00
    edwardb - 1120 - 39:00 :)
  • Not sure if anyone has seen the weather forecast. It's not good. Heavy rain :-(
  • Hmm yes I saw that too! So much for the Town and Gown being traditionally lucky with the weather!
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    Whats a bit of rain between friends.

• rain's fine with me ...... last year it was too hot

hoping for under 1hour my PB is 53 mins (I'm an old git of 48 like you Darkman), but I was injured a lot last year . stress fracture been back into training for about 6 weeks

edwardb - 1120 - 39:00 :)
    woody - 805 - 55:00 (i hope!!)
  • Hello folks,

I'm a relative 'newie' to this race running lark, so it's nice to see such 'friendly comments'! I did the Salisbury 10k in Feb (62 mins) and have been trying to train regularly for this 10k, just hoping to do it in under an hour. I'll keep an eye out for your numbers, putting faces to names etc.