Oxford Town & Gown 10K

Comments

• Hi EJCC,
    It sounds as though having done one 10K and then done regular training you should be able to get under an hour. The T&G is a very flat course which helps - I've managed a new personal best each time I've done it (three). And you'll find that there's lots of support.
    Another great thing is the chip which gives you your real time. Try to start in the right place (there'll be markers up) and then stick with others running about the same pace.
    Hope you enjoy it (and it doesn't rain too much).
  • Lemony, thanks for the encouragement! I'm not so worried about the actual race but my tummy is in knots about arriving and knowing where to go etc. Last race there were only 400, this time there'll be near on 4,000. What's your PB for the T & G?
  • EJCC

Don't worry about finding out where to go etc. .... best thing to do is use the Park & Ride , you'll see lots of other runners just follow them, there's lots of time markers, so you'll be fine ... one thing thought make sure you give yourself lots of time because last year the bus I was planning on getting on was full from the P&R, luckily enough I'd got talking to a chap in the queue and his missus gave us a lift to the start, only just made it!!!

all the best for Sunday
  • 48:02
    I've run two 10Ks since of 48:06 and 48:08, but I've been training for a marathon (two weeks ago) so I'm hoping to improve on it - at least to get it under 48mins.

The T&G is pretty good for working out where to stand at the start, but with so many runners it's best to follow their advice of getting to the start a good ten minutes before the gun. It'll probably take you at least 5 minutes to get over the start line but since there's chip timing I'd say start your own watch when you cross the line so you can judge your own pace.
  • Woody, was planning on driving in really early and finding somewhere to park as I'd heard the P&R was a nightmare last year - ooh don't know what to do now!!! Thanks for the advice anyway - have a good one too!
  • Lemony, I'll be really pleased with 59:something! 48 mins is great and I'll certainly be at the start in good time. The course looks quite confusing on the map I was sent, guess on the day I'll just follow the crowd?!
  • The course is a bit odd on the map since there's lots of looping back on yourself. But it's very simple once you're on it. As you say, just follow the crowd - there'll be plenty of people in front of you and plenty behind.

And I once ran a 10K in 59:58 after my training had been scuppered by a chest infection. It was one of my most pleasing times (would have been less so had it been three seconds slower).
  • Well here's hoping to match your 59:58! Watch this space - enjoy the run and thanks for your advice!
  • Look forward to see you all again this year
    Paul, race director

• Mark Clay - 36 - 46:00
    Footpad - 1149- 55:00 (Fetch vest)
    RunLikeTheWind 2422 - 73:00
    Darkman - 1493 - 39:00
    edwardb - 1120 - 39:00 :)
    woody - 805 - 55:00 (i hope!!)
    fez17 - 1593 - sub 45mins
  • Road works to the East of Oxford close to the Ring road roundabout A40 junct A4142 very near Thornhill park & ride. Serious delays - recommend adding at least an hour to travelling time if approaching from this direction. Ideally, go the back routes.
  • AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭

Mark Clay - 36 - 46:00
    Footpad - 1149- 55:00 (Fetch vest)
    RunLikeTheWind 2422 - 73:00
    Darkman - 1493 - 39:00
    edwardb - 1120 - 39:00 :)
    woody - 805 - 55:00 (i hope!!)
    fez17 - 1593 - sub 45mins
    Runner-bean 2327 - 50.00ish

Thanks for advice re park and ride, roadworks, the start etc, etc. It sounds a bit of a nightmare!! Are there plenty of loos near the start or do I need to allow another three hours for the queue like most other races I have done?

I'm not really sure what time to expect. I have only ever run one 10K and did it in 58:41, but the consensus at the end (shared by race organiser!) was that actually it was probably more like 6.6 miles!! That was last summer too, and my HM has improved since then, so hopefully 10K has too!!

Have fun!!
  • Runner-bean, No loos at the start, use the many loos in the Parks on the way to the start. Lots of roadworks around Oxford allow plenty of time to reach the Parks.
  • FootpadFootpad ✭✭✭
    Ohhh my training has gone to pot.... sore knee!!! Hope to go under the hour... may hang on to runner-bean tho to get a PB!!!

Road works at Headington roundabout are a MUST miss!! Go another way!!! Will be going to Peartree Park&Ride myself.

See you there
  • Paul

Are there extra buses being put on this year, I was at Peartree last year in plenty of time, but the buses just filled up, thankfully I got a lift to start

Runner-bean, plenty of alley ways ..... I was told to use one last year by an official ... sorry Paul!!! ;-)
  • Unless there's some new roadworks since last weekend, the problem tends to be trying to get round Oxford rather than into it from outside. The works have been there for several weeks and I go to Oxford each weekend and never had a problem except once when my fiance tried to pick me up from Thornhill - it took him three times as long to get round the ring road as the bus would have taken to get me to the centre of Oxford.

So if you're coming off the M/A40 and want to go to Thornhill Park and Ride the roadworks won't be a problem on a Sunday (though the full buses may well be).

An alternative might be to drive to Lewknor Turn (I think it's the B4009 junction from the M40, but you'd better check) and take the Oxford Tube (ie bus) from there, getting off at the High Street/Queen's Lane stop in town.
  • Oooooo don't know what to do now, is there any point in driving into centre of Oxford .... is there a car park at the station???
  • Use the Park & Ride wherever possible, Oxford city centre and cars do not mix, thanks mostly to the traffic system overhaul in the late 90s designed by an American who'd visited here once, and he also doesn't drive - only cycle.

• Hi
    Can anyone tell me where exactly the start of the T&G is going to be?
    Good luck everyone
    Thanks
  • Hi All,
    We have asked for extra buses at the park & rides and they have said they will try and provide extra, But I will not guarantee that is going to happen. The times of the first buses are in your competitor notes. The start is in Fyfield Road to the north of the Parks. Allow plenty of time to get in to Oxford, the roadworks are a nightmare. Let hope they have put a tarmac surface in the High Street otherwise it will be fun and games.
  • I've entered this flippin race 5 years on the bounce and never yet managed to toe the start line. Always seem to get injured about now and I notice my knee has started aching right on cue!

Determined to finally run it!

Andrew
  • AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭
    Thanks for toilet advice, though alley way might not be too easy given my gender!! (It's not fair!!)

I'm tempted to put my bike in the back of car and cycle into the city centre. Thoughts anyone??
  • Given that the place seems to be covered in roadworks I think that sounds like a great idea. Or alternatively take the park and ride as that way you dont need to worry about what to do with your bike
  • I'll be cycling in too, Runner-bean. I think that's a good plan.
  • AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭
    Wee bit wet wasn't it folks?!

The bike plan worked well. Parked in Summertown (50p all day), few minutes to the Parks and chained bike to Parks' rail! Strongly recommend, though wondered, (what with the rain), if there is a latent triathlete lurking within me....

Hope you enjoyed your runs (if you see what I mean!!), despite the weather, and were happy with your times.

I managed 48 something, so am pleased, though have decided I prefer HM's because they're slower!
  • Well done to everyone for even deciding to run today. The weather was awful and i did have second thoughts when i woke up and saw it, but in truth it was nice to run in.

After 6 months off through injury I was really pleased to get this first race under my belt and finish without problems and although i was 5 minutes down on last years time here, im over the moon. I can look forward to all the other races i have paid with some optimism.

P.S. A big sorry to my wife and kids for dragging you along to spectate!
  • Well done to everyone who took part! Bit of a wet one, but thoroughly enjoyable. I think I managed in under an hour but will have to wait for results to be posted, had a brilliant race whatever my time!
  • hi all did 52.05 nowhere near my pb but am gonna put this down to bad weather and experience
    had an awful last 3k legs went realyl heavy and struggled from 7km to the finish.happy to get round with those conditions though
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone.

Hope you all got your target finish times, weather was foul but good for running in and didn't have need to take on water until I reached the finish.

Was pissed off with my finish time of about 40 mins 5 secs was on for the sub 40 mins but at 9.5k my left lace somehow came undone even though I double knotted it, made me lose about 20 secs which made the difference in success or failure. Never mind there's always the next one.
  • Congrats to everyone that finished and didnt we do well turning up in such foul weather!

First time I have ever run in the rain and I think it wasnt so bad. Didnt get hot at all and managed a pb.