Oxford Town & Gown 10K

1234568»

Comments

• Agree with Lemony that last year the chip times were shown in the paper and - in my case - matched my watch to the second.

I had high hopes of chip timing giving me an "official" PB below 47 mins. So it's not ideal if there are discrepancies. But on the other hand I know my "real time" and it's not like it was an Olympic qualifying event!
  • The time given for me in the paper matches the time on the race clock as I finished, so maybe we were timed from when the gun went off rather than when we crossed the start?

Re the entry fee. I thought 13 quid was a lot too, considering there was no goody bag. Are the costs high because the University charges to use the park?
  • Edward,

Really sorry to ask for my finish time too, i cant wait either, i bet you wish you never offered to do this:

Anyway, name Martin Swan, finished around 44-45mins.

Thanks in advance.
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    Edward

Sorry for being a pain but would be really good to be put out my misery if you could gibve me my time also.

Name: Mike Sheldon, Number: 1493, Club: Barrow Runners, Finish Time: 40mins 5-10 secs

Cheers in advance chap.
  • Of course guys...

Mike, you're at 101, time 40.05
    Martin, you're at 364, time 44.24

Good going chaps!
  • Swanny, you were recorded as 44.24 for 364th place

Darkman - bang on 40.05 for 101st place.

Well done
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    If it wern't for losing those 20-30secs having to tie my lace back up I kmow I'd of broke 40mins --- what a bummer.
  • Cheers for the time / place info.

Can you tell me how many finshers there were?
  • Martin, there were 2846 registered finishers.

They think there were many more but they didn't register due to people taking the chip off!

• Hi! I just wanted to say that I checked the Oxford Mail for my time and it stated 1hr 9mis something and my stopwatch/HRM on the day said it was just over 1hr 6mins.
    Have other people found the times in the paper to be different to those done on personal watch/HRM?
  • Olivia

Hi -yes if you back a couple of pages on the thread you'll see that most us seem to have suffered to a greater or lesser extent (30 secs difference in my case) And the further back in the field you were the bigger the difference. Suggests that the chip timing isn't based from when you actually crossed the start line.

Maybe they'll get it right for the website or maybe you'll just have know for yourself what your "real" time was. But it is a bit of a downer since I thought the whole purpose of chip timing was to provide accurate indivdual times for covering the 10K. Still, as I said in an earlier message, it wasn't like the timing error blew my chances of Olympic qualifying!
  • I am taking on board all that is being said about the timing and will be checking into it, the actual finishing line was 10m before the finish banner but this was obliterated by the bad weather. This may account for some of the timing discrepancies? If the timing wire is to close to the metal grantry it can cause some problems. It may well be our fault for not explaining this in the final instructions.
  • My husband and I did this race as well, and we found today that our 'official' chip times are about 2 minutes more than the ones we timed with our watches (starting when we went over the line, not at the gun). It clearly didn't take us 2 minutes to get from crossing the finish line to the marshalls at the end waving those wands at us. It seems more likely that the chip started with the gun, as it probably took us about 2 minutes to get to the start line.
    Am a bit disappointed as on my watch I did 59.30, but of course now my official time is over an hour. Am going to believe my watch anyway...
  • I started my watch as I crossed the start line and stopped it a few seconds after I had been scanned by the marshalls. My watch said 1.00.03 but my official time is 1.01.45.

Reckon that the theory that the chip time started with the gun, not when we crossed the line, is about right.

But still a fab race.
  • I think you will fine the published times are "from the gun" our website times should give you a personal time.
  • Paul, if I were you, I'd give myself a break from reading this thread and having to comment on the times!
  • AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭
    The RESULTS ARE OUT folks, on: oxfordtownandgown.org.

Good news for me, the chip time is a few seconds faster than my stop watch (which I only pressed after being swiped with the magic wand).

So it looks like the chip times are probably fairly accurate? Would love to check everone's chip times now, but I should have been in bed hours ago....

• Wahey! Was pacing my friend in her first 10k - she wanted to do 1 hour and I brought her in on 59.53. My watch said 1.00.03 (stopped a few seconds after the finish line) so well pleased with that!

• Wahoooooooo

Chip time on the website gives me a couple of seconds faster than my watch and 32 seconds faster than the gun time. (now 46.38)

Thanks to Paul and the organisers for coming through on this (slight pity that it wasn't clear in the paper). As I think my messages have said, it wasn't excatly a life or death situation, but it's oddly gratifying to have a 50 second PB confirmed officially:-)

Thanks again.

• Where the are the times on the website? I can't see any links anywhere.
  • Edward just click on results and they spring up
  • Off the front page of the T&G website, the results link is on the left hand side.

If you've been on the website before, you might need to go to the results page and press the "refresh" button. That should then reveal the times in their glory
  • pleased that my chip time was the same as my watch time just a second out ...... 57:07 I'm had 57:08
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭
    Chip time is only 1 second faster, so finished in 40mins 04secs now I'm really depressed was hoping for the gun time of 40mins 05secs to be 6 secs out. Gonna superglue my laces for the next race, took me much longer than 6 secs to fully uravel my left lace so I could tie it back up again and with only half a k to go to the finish couldn't risk carrying on like it and risk injury.

Had to think about my Abingdon Marathon training for the October race, hoping to finish in under 3hrs 15mins (GFA time) after running London (my first) this year in 3hrs 23mins.

Next 10k race will deffo be under 40 mins as I now know I can do it.
  • oooooo and I was please with 57:07 ....... it's a few minutes more than my PB, but I have been injured, and I'm reeeeeeeallly old - excuses, excuses ......
  • last year my watch was teh same as my chip.

this year the chip/bib time was from the gun not from when I crossed the start / finish line, same for my mum and sister.
  • results are now on teh website

gun and chip times
  • Kevin

you'll find the chip time on the website results is from crossing the line and is pretty accurate
  • Oh what an idiot I really am. Refreshing worked :-)

Anyway, chip time was 2 seconds under my watch time, so woohoo ;-)
  • All is clear to those who wait!