Pilates

Anyone any experience of combining Pilates with 'normal' training? It seems the perfect form of x-training on the face of it but interested to hear waht people think.

I know my core stability & all that is currently p*ss poor...

Comments

• Non-running wife says its really good and really works and stretches stuff, want to try but its too much like sitting around!?!
  • Wait till you try it!
  • Funny you should ask Ferris

I went to the gym on monday, the day after my long run, and couldn't be bothered to go and do my recovery run and weights, the only class that was on was Pilates so I gave it a go. I thought the class was a bit easy but the next day I realised that I has actually worked harder than I'd thought. I felt tighter a round the 'core' and in strange way taller. I'm going to try it again next week and see if it has the same affect.
  • JJ, a friend of mine is now 1.5" taller than she was three years ago when she started Pilates. Her back is much better as well. My osteopath give me exercises to do, many of which are based on Pilates, and for something which feels a bit 'easy', it certainly does have an effect. Hoep you enjoy it.
  • Is this completely different from yoga or are the two quite similar?

I want to start yoga again but was considering pilates as an alternative/addition.
  • Had to give up yoga as it made my back worse. Going to try Pilates once I've moved.
  • Pilates concentrates more on the core strength of your abdominals and back muscles whereas yoga is more about flexibility for your whole body and builds strength and stamina as well. I also find yoga great for relaxation as well. If i've been stressed, rushing around all day, then rushing home, quick change then straight to yoga class i feel relaxed almost as soon as i get to the class and lay down on my mat and by the time i come out of the class i am totally relaxed and stress free.
  • P.S. Sassie i'm surprised yoga made your back worse, maybe you didn't have a good teacher. People in my class occasionally come in with an injury or something and tell the teacher who tells them what exercises they can do and what ones not to do. If you haven't been going to yoga classes and just doing out a book or off a video then may be an idea to go to a proper class and the teacher will make sure you do things safely.
  • There was an article in the 'other' running mag on Pilates about 2 months ago - their Editor went to a class and really raved about it.

Also read a study somewhere where they were talking about a strong core (that Pilates gives you) being good for sport as then there is less wasteful movement of the body.
  • The core stability that pilates gives you will really help with your running. The other thing you can do is use one of the theraballs to do crunches, pressups and loads of other exercises on - RW had an article on them a few months back and they're excellent for giving you a good workout on your abdominals.
  • Thanks Mags 2, but I was at a class. The teacher was surprised by the problem too, but I have had a chronically bad back for over twenty years now. The chiropractor advised trying Pilates instead.
  • Sassie - do give it a go. My wife suffered from a bad back, and had to give up her secretarial job. She now teaches Pilates, aerobics etc. and she's just fine !
  • Thanks for the encouragement cougie!
  • Having done yoga for 6 years and pilates for 1 lesson not sure that pilates would be easier on the back than yoga. Pilates had a much more profound effect on my tummy tho :-)
  • Thanks for the feedback, very interesting. I've booked a private session for the next 6 Wednesday's so will let you know how it goes.

Pat Cash apparently swears by it!
  • I'm a convert too, after 3 lessons. It's not at all as easy as it looks - my muscles end up shaking with the effort at the end of the hour, but after only three weeks, and even with my muscles, I notice a definite improvement. Running - the greatest thing is being able to get legs forward easily, running hugely more efficiently after very little real time.

Go for it.

I've heard mixed comments about yoga and backs. A friend tried to show me a few simple yoga exercises, and they scared me, which is perhaps not saying much.