running in salisbury

is there anyone on the forum who runs in salisbury? i'm considering getting in touch with the local running club but to be honest i'm a little bit scared that i'll be too slow. does anyone know if they have a slow folkes section??

Comments

• Hi Susannah

You might want to try the web site Runners Web Uk (sorry I do not know how to attach a link) as this lists running clubs by region.

There is an 8K run at Old Sarum on Sunday 20 October which I am going to attempt. It will be my furthest run so far and it will be hilly. Maybe see you there?

Best of luck

Fiona
  • Hi Susannah

I used to live in Amesbury and whilst there joined the Amesbury running club. They run from Amesbury sports centre a couple of times a week. They have different running groups doing various distances and speeds. Contact the sports centre for info. They were an inspiration for my running and l really miss the great group of folks that l met whilst running with them.

Ian
  • hi all

just idling through the topics and found this thread.

Susannah - I ran the Old Sarum 8k last year and really enjoyed it. It was a small event with less than 100 people and was very informal. The firemen who organise it are very friendly. The course is basically all steadily uphill till you reach Old Sarum, a steep scramble up the ramparts and round the narrow banks, then back down again and steadily downhill back to the firestation. It's mixed terrain and uses footpaths a lot.

If you like off road and don't mind a bit of climbing I recommend the event, especially for the 'local' feel of it. You may meet other Salisbury runners and get some info on local clubs.

And it doesn't matter what speed you do! I actually stopped briefly while on the ramparts so that I could admire the fantastic view without falling off the bank! There were so few runners that, if it's the same this year, you will not be hassled if you do need to slow down or walk.

go for it!
  • I spent my first twentynine years living in Salisbury and went to school in the shadow of Old Sarum. My mum lives in Salisbury and this thread has prompted me to visit her and take the opportunity to run along those trails upon which, as a little boy, I used to play. I was probably faster then! See you at Ashley Road.
  • Your mum'll be pleased as you rush in saying "Hi mum. I've come to see you but I'm just going out running!"

Only joking, but it sounds like my daughters...."hi mum, what's for dinner? I'm going out!"

Yes, I hope to be there. It is a nice race.
  • unfortunately i'm busy the weekend of the old sarum 8k or i would have enjoyed doing it. i'm thinking about doing the fordingbridge firemens 10 instead but haven't decided if that's a bit much for me at the moment.
    i did get in touch with the running club who seem quite friendly so hopefully i'll be able to meet up with them soon.