Options

Cross Training and other exercise

People talk about doing cross training as well as running to keep all the muscles strong, body balanced etc. What is cross training, a specific type of class (like circuit training ?) or just any other type of exercise, i.e. gym, cycling, swimming, weights, squash, yoga, pilates, aerobics, other types of exercise classes. What additional exercise do you other runners out there do and why, what do you recommend that complements running well ?

Comments

• Options
    mags - cross training is the generic term for other exercises that most of us do either to improve overall muscle tone and balance or (more often!) because were injured from running too much!

Running as a weight bearing activity is, despite what you might hear to the contrary, generally not very good for joints especially if you do most of your running over roads. In addition, because of its specificity it tends to neglect certain muscle groups.

In addition, running, distances at least, is essentially about developing aerobic efficincy i.e. the ability of the blood system to supply the muscles with oxygen as opposed to being a power sport.

Therefore cross training can fall into two groups.

1. That which can replace running to a degree when injured (e.g. ellipitical training, cycling, pool running etc) i.e. essentially non-impact but aerobic.

2. Those which develop the aerobic system (and therefore can replace running but only to a limited degree) but also add to overall conditioning e.g. rowing.

3. Those which complement running by strengthening other muscle groups but are non-recessarily running or aerobic related e.g. weight training.

This is my view from a perfectly non-technical standpoint.
  • Options
    That'll be THREE groups not two
  • Options
    I'm just back to the office after a swim as my cross-training session in my FLM training schedule. It was my first swim in two years and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Only 20 mins breast stroke but constant, no stopping for a breather. I intend to build up to 30/40 mins once a week. I think this'll work well for me as it's great for all the muscle groups, absolutely no joint impact and helpful with breathing. I just wish the smell of chlorine didn't linger even after a shower!
  • Options
    I could be wrong but breast stoke is bad for the knees (joints) as the movement is not linear to the way the joint works. IE you'd be a lot better swapping the breast stoke for the front crawl where all movements are in line.

Could be worth checking,

BTW I do rowing and use running as a cross trainer very effective for the legs (both exercises I mean) and also rowing is none impact. Swimming will be great for improving your lung capacity especially if you control your breathing when you swim All this is only IMHO and not based on medical fact
  • Options
    Thanks Rob, I was trying to keep my hair as dry as possible - a bit girlie I know, but like to be smart in the office. This wasn't very successful anyway, so I'll go for it with the crawl next time.

Cheers
  • Options
    Yeah, Rach, I tweaked my medial ligament doing the breaststroke. Couldn't run for a fortnight. All very embarrassing!
  • Options
    They are right, breast-stroke is very bad for the knees. But swimming in general is an excellent cross-training exercise. I personally believe in weight training once a week too, as an overall strengthening tool, specially when doing triathlon training. Bike riding, rowing, etc. is all good exercise.
  • Options
    Breaststroke works fine for me, I think it strengthens my knees! Crawling sometimes tends to hurt my knee-ligament under the kneecap, not that often though. So I usually do both and backstoke, wich lenient for the neck.

I also play bandy and go skating in the winters.