Paddock Wood Half-Marathon 2006

Comments

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I like Metcheck better. Fair 12c and max 12mph wind.
  • Tracey - I'm hoping for 1 hour 50, unless it's really windy/hot. Although it's my first race half marathon, have been running a while and normally do 10miles in 1hr20-25mins. Did a tough(hilly and against the wind) 12miles (ish)last sunday in 1hr 43. Have actually managed to get 2 others together to run 'with'-one who'll beat me hands down and one I'm hoping to be waiting for at the finish! What number are you and I'll look out for you. Don't know mine as I've only just entered on line. Bit worried about it getting windy....and lack of loos....nerves always make me want to go in the last 5mins before the start!
  • Thanks for the support paul-keep telling myself it's my first half and I'll be happy just to get round, but know I'll be peeved if it takes over 2 hours...am really hoping to make the 1hr50 mark, weather permitting(I can handle anything except running against the wind for 13.1miles!).
  • Suzie - A lot of the course is on country lanes once you get out of Paddock Wood itself. This can be sheltered when the hedges are higher but could be windy in places where fields are flat. This may sound unscrupulous but it is worth raising the pace a little so that you can catch up with and then shelter behind another runner - in your case prefeably large and male. The field is large enough that you are unlikely to be alone, so in a head wind shelter behind a group if possible.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Suzie 2 - My number is 73.
  • SUZIE 2,good times for 10 miles and 12 mileish you wont have any trouble getting under 2 hours.
  • Hi suzie2 I usually run around the 1.45 - 1.50 pace depending on how i feel and i definitely fall into Paul's larger male category so if you need some shelter from the wind accros the fields feel free to shelter behind me.

Tracey G Cmon you know you can go quicker then 2.20 !

Scrummy Why not target the Kent coastal 1/2 in September loads of forumites usually take part and some fantastic scenery to take your mind off the 13.1 miles
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark - What do you think I can do this race in then?
  • TRacey not sure what time did you do at last years Thanet ?
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark - Last year Kent half was 2:34. My watch time for Brentwood half was 2:26. I think I could do 2:15.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I did 1:45.30, at Sandy 10 on Sunday, it was undulating, and had to stop to pin my number back on.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Tracey, I should be around the 2.15 mark too, was aiming for pb of sub 2 but not been well for about a month so will take it as iw.
  • This will be my 3rd half in 6 weeks following on from Sussex Beacon (1.39.42) and Hastings (1.36.09). So I hope the legs hold out. Hope its not too windy but BBC weather for Maidstone is 23mph from the SW.
  • Tracey it sounds like your improving steadily which is good id say go out Sunday and enjoy the run some of my best recent times have come from not looking at my watch and running listenning to your body. If all goes well you could be around 2.10 i recon. Good luck anyway and we will see you there.
  • Mark: if you let me know your number, i'll look out for you....not liking the sound of 23mph winds though...think 1hr50 may be optimistic in those conditions! Am actually looking forward to it now, be good to get first half under my belt...and set a time to beat....when's the next (localish) one?
  • tracey g-not liking metcheck so much....check out that ugly blob on the 'gale check' graph between 3am and 12pm on sunday! I hope the wind's behind us!
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    And to think I got a bit of sunburn last year, sounds like windburn for this time out!
  • I only seem to have two speeds at the moment - slow and very slow, so I shall be attempting to run this at marathon pace. I would normally aim for 1.50, but just under 2.00 seems more realistic at the moment. Still, I did poorly at PW last year, and still got a PB in London, so there's hope for me yet!
  • SUZIE 2;depends where you live.my next half will be at sunny southend on sea in june,but i'm sure there are 1/2s in kent between now and june.
    this may sound wimpish but my training run last night was the first time this year that i have worn shorts.hopefully i'll be wearing them all the time till the end of the year now.but like everyone else i HATE the wind.
    before someone gets the wrong idea i have been wearing leggings.
  • Like everyone else - I'm dreading the wind. Live in Tunbridge Wells and it's blowing a gale today - just off out now for a last bit of speedwork.. remember extra safety pins for your numbers! - i was holding mine on at tunbridge wells (makes for an interesting running style!) in the last 3 miles as the wind was pulling it off! Good luck to everyone. Lets just hope its a tail wind for the majority of the course!..
  • Looking at the direction the wind's due to be coming from, I suspect it may be a problem from about 5/6 miles onwards. However, forecasts at a few days notice are notoriously unreliabe so we'll just have to see on the day. At least there's a fair few hedgerows to shelter things a bit. Good luck everyone!
  • RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Well, I hope it's cool but not too windy.

AB2, I may have to give you a <SLAP>! My pb time is 2:05:45 which I'm hoping to better on Sunday ;-)))) I've still got a dodgy ankle but I hope it will hold up OK.

PN, you're braver than me. I haven't put my tights away yet.

Can't remember my number but I'll be wearing a purple vest with Alzheimer's Research Trust on it with 'Redhead' emblazoned across my front and back. Please come and say hello if you see me.
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Shorts for Sunday, no way!!
  • I stopped wearing tights last week for training but I always wear shorts when racing. It kind of reminds me to try and run faster and out of training mode.

The weather can turn around pretty quickly as it has already demonstrated a few weeks ago. Monday looks a lot calmer, maybe we could get a bit of that instead.
  • Tights what are they Aren't they something worn by girlies ???

Suzie 2 cant remember my number but i will be wearing a Thanet Road Runners vest, light Blue with dark blue band and im very folically challenged (bald as the preverbial Badger) so I should be easy to spot.
  • So I was away last week and caught a vicious bug,I have not run more than six miles in one go since I saw Cinders at Dumpton Gap,I am usually rotten at this race,my number has not arrived still so it should be a good run!

And it could well rain as well !!
  • It's going to be perfect, neutral conditions:not too hot, not too cold, no wind, no rain, 13.1 miles will feel like 2 and we'll all set PBs....optimistic enough Paul? Now I'm going for a glass of wine-it's friday. See you all there x
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Bobbyc, now that was rather windy! Hoping for a bit less on Sunday.