Mirena Coil

Hi Gals

Been wanting to ask this question for a while but I know it involves talking about personal stuff etc, but here goes:

Had a mirena coil fitted in December as heavy periods was keeping my HB levels to around 10-11. It's great as far as not much to talk about in the period department anymore, HB up to 13!!! I just have a few problems and was wondering if anyone else is sharing them.

Problem 1: Mood swings. I am quite a bubbly happy person who tends to withdraw if feeling a bit 'antsy'. Since the coil I have had serious tantrums and develop tourettes on cyclical basis.

Problem 2: My ar&e has spread somewhat and I can't get below 10stone. My legs feel heavy and swollen a lot of the time.

Problem 3: I'm struggling to keep my skin blemish free.

Problem 4: Night sweats are horrendous and my sleeping pattern is all pants.

I'm hoping that this is just my body adjusting to the hormones and that I will see some sort of levelling off in the next few months. If not, I'm afraid Mr Fat Fyes will have to visit the docs.

Anyone else got any experience/insight because the benefits are really good at the moment too.

Comments

• Had Mirena for 18 months but removed because of almost constant low grade bleeding for about 20 out of every 28 days! Also had probs with skin which (touch wood) have resolved now it's gone. Looking back did have heavy legs but can't necessarily attribute that to Mirena in my case. Def keep an eye on things and avoid doing what I did, namely putting up with it fot too long. Let's hope it settles. Most do, I think. You need to weigh up cost/benefit for you!
    Good luck!
  • Thanks Jiggi, was beginning to think it was just me. I've also got that problem of continual 'spotting', about the same as yours actually. Think I'll keep it till my holiday in July and then get it whipped out if things haven't settled by then.

Hoping my horns will disappear with it cos Mr FF's hidden all the kitchen knives.
  • I've used a Mirena for over 2 years, due to heavy bleeding, and I haven't had any problems with it from the start. There is, however, a long list of side-effects which can occur, and the ones which you mention are listed on the leaflet which I still have.
    I'm not sure how long it takes to adjust, you haven't actually had it that long, but if you're really concerned, have a word with your doc, or check one of the websites, i.e www.mirena.com
    Good luck!
  • wat about a uterine ablation? - unless you are planning on having a baby in which case that would be a bad idea

i don't know from experience - have only read about it but it sounds like it does the job of stopping periods but you get to keep all your protective hormones - unlike a hysterectomy.

is my next line of attack once i get sick of taking tranaxemic acid
    my hb used to be 8 but i can now keep it to more normal levels between the drugs and iron tablets

• *passes out at mention of blood*
  • I had microwave endometrial ablation and never regretted it. Day surgery under general anaesthetic, they go in through the vagina and microwave the lining of the uterus.

I had just finished a heavy period when I went in, then had post op bleeding a bit like the sort after you've had a baby(for those that have),then one more fairly light period. I've not bled since. Had it done about 3 or maybe 4 years ago. Some women do still bleed but much less than before op.

I had tried various patches and tablets with no success. Was referred and had to have a trans-vaginal scan to rule out polyps or fibriods, had the surgery done 6 months later.

As Lurker says, you keep your hormones so its much less drastic than a hysterectomy.

We had completed our family and BD had already had a vasectomy so more babies wasn't an issue to us.

I hadn't realised until I was free of them how utterly life overtaking the heavy periods had become.

Never regretted it.

• Don't read my post then Dan Dan

Hope things improve, FF and Lurker, whatever you decide to do.
  • Ewww.. scares the life out of me.

Good luck with that, ladies.

xx
  • i knew someone had had one and couldn't remember who it was

• Go for it Lurker

dan dan you great wuss:-)
  • poor you

I have a mirena and is fab

lots of people get the spotting thing for up to 6 months

I think that if the other things are side effects of the coil you've just been really unlucky - poor you
  • Am interested in this as an alternative treatment to endometriosis (which I have).

Currently take the Yasmin pill and am having terrible mood swings which include suicidal thoughts on a weekly basis. The rest of the week I'm absolutely fine.

Never had heavy periods thankfully.

anyone know of any hormonal treatments that don't turn you into a total nutter?

Sorry, to hijack the thread.
  • I have a mirena - have had for 3 years now and can honestly say I haven't noticed any symptoms. I had very heavy bleeding due to endometriosis and fibroids and my hb had dropped to 9. Although I do still get a bleed, there is barely anything.

However, saying that, I now have some of the symptoms above but all due to the onset of the bloody menopause. Not easy being a woman...........

I hope everything settles down for you soon.

• well mirena hasn't had side effects for me
  • fat fyes
    how old are you approx?
    I have had mirena in for past 4 years
    best thing I every did!
    but just recently have put on a few pounds esp middle and bum, but my appetite is pretty big
    but also get very hot esp at night, often with sweats
    in my 40's
  • ooh, mirena sounds like it could be an option.

My night sweats are hideous. I normally have two duvets in winter but this year just the one and last night woke up totally drenched in sweat.

Hmmm, a visit to the endo clinic is a must.

Roobarb - have you found the mirena to be effective for endo at all?
  • I was really hoping mirena would be the answer for me, but it wasn't which is just one of those things. I'm still having heavy and prolonged bleeding (not as long as with mirena, thank goodness!) Endometrial ablation sounds interesting. How long before you could run after it?
  • Jiggi - do you have endo too? If so, what treatment have you tried. Am desperate for more anecdotal info
  • ooh. well they're bad enough. Poor you Jiggi!
  • LOL. Just suddenly occurred to me that Dan and Hoose may have clicked on this thread thinking it said "any other girls getting horny"!
  • mmm, tasty, tasty, very , very tasty
  • Debster - not sure on the endo front. I still get terrible pain at times, although not too often as my periods are a bit scarce now, which is a sympton of endo but that is ok considering what I had to put up with before I had the mirena. The hormones in the coil have actually had an effect on the fibroids and they have shrunk to practically nothing - whey hey!!

• That is good news Roobarb. I have a lot of stomach pain but would have that any day over the mental torture that the pill seems to inflict. Really tempted to just stop but will discuss other options when i go back to the hospital.
  • Well I've clicked on it because I read the title propetrly. Mrs FR has just had one of these fitted to help her with her problems (see the "Bit Embarrased Thread")

Its been very helpful ladies - thanks. It will be a great help in the reassurance department from my perspective. Mood swings are a worry, though.

Hope its OK for me to lurk in the hope of learning a bit more.