Options

Paris Marathon

Comments

• Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Excellent tim, it'd be good to see you. I bought some nice edradour whilst in scotland, looking forward to polishing it off after paris.
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Shiva

Thanks.

"Edradour" is one of my top-5 favourite drams. Gloriously smooth and honeyed. Lucky you. But why wait ?
  • Options
    Hi Tim

Our booking is for 7pm and I added a few extra places in case there were any late comers to the thread so no probs if you want to come along.
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I agree Tim, its a lovely dram. My school trip was right by the distillery so had to buy some. I have been having a couple of drams, but saving the rest as a treat. What are your 4 other favourites?
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

School trip ? Hopefully, you're a teacher and not a pupil !

Apart from "Edradour", what are my other 'top five' favourite Scottish single malt drams ? Well, in no particular order:

"Glendronach" 15yo matured in Sherrywood;
    "Glenmorangie" Gold Rum Cask Finish;
    "Royal Lochnagar" 12yo;
    "Glenfiddich" 15yo Solera Reserve.

I know that some of these are very 'mainstream'.

I've sampled at least one expression from every working distillery in Scotland (and many that are closed) and these are genuinely my favs, along with "Macallan" Sherrywood and "Balvenie Port Wood".

Also, love some of the Japanese single malts, such as "Yiochi" and "Hakushu".

And Irish "Cooley" single malt's very good too.

What about you ?
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    I really like tallisker and macallan as well as the edradour. Haven't tried the japanese whiskies, will try to find some as am intrigued.

Your choices don't sound mainstream to me as i know very little comapred to you.
  • Options
    ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    oh, and yes i'm a teacher not a pupil.
  • Options
    Ok

I have the location of the Saturday and Sunday evening meets - but, I can't for the life of me find the details of the picnic. Can somebody help please??

• Options
    I'm not sure if anything concrete has been arranged yet CdK. The idea is a group picnic in the Bois de Boulogne but I think the exact time and place will probably be organised when we get together on Saturday.

• Options
    Hail Hail

Great minds Rach! I was just about to ask if a precise location had been arranged. I take it that the pique-nique-ers know that Bois de Bolougne is quite so big. Mibbee thats the idea. Go to a big forest and lose Coops - he could (with a bit of luck) be out there for days!!
  • Options
    They should set up shop somewhere between the big lake and Porte Dauphine. I'll photocopy some maps to bring along to Vesuvio to make things easier.

Been to the James Joyce this afternoon to sort the food and stuff. I reckon it'll be a fab venue ya know. You boys will love the ginormous tv screen!
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Shiva

A couple of the Japanese whiskies would probably make into the a 'top ten' of malt whisky (eg "Yiochi" and "Hakushu"). They are that good!

Slainte

Tim
  • Options
    I spoke to my son yesterday evening - they have decided that rather than pay Paris hotel prices that the will spend the weekend in Disney and travel in for the Marathon,
    This means that they won't be at Vesuvio's on the Saturday, but will be calling in the James Joyce on the Sunday before travelling back to Disney. They will probably join in the picnic while patiently waiting for me.

Rach - will traveling in to Paris on the RER on the Sunday be a problem? Is there a reduced service (or a service at all)?
  • Options
    The RER runs normally on a Sunday. I shouldn't think there'll be any problems due to anti CPE action but I'll keep a close eye on the news anyway and let you know what's happening.
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Rach

Thanks for the reply about Vesuvio. I'll try and be good and not 'ruffle any feathers'.

• Options
    I'm quite sure you won't. People will surely be far too excited about their Paris marathon experience to let anyone rile them up!
  • Options
    (he just wants to sit next to me again.......)
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Coops

The thought of being close to you again. Wow, I can hardly wait.
  • Options
    Hi all coming to Paris with other half and Coops has just told me on the main thread about the picnic organised. Is there any specific meeting point arranged as I would imagine there are gonna be large groups of runners sitting around in parks after the marathon? Wont be able to make it to the sat night meet so dont know what or where might be decided then? Would be nice to meet up with you all and compare times etc. Might also be able to persuade the other half to come along to the James Joyce (hes been off the booze more or less most of this year so will need a drink). Is it within staggering distance of finish?
    Cheers Perkin
  • Options
    Hi all and especially Rach

Will defo be at pasta party (what time?) on Saturday - me +3. Will hope to join with gang in pub after race but not for food thanks. I'll gladly pay up though if you are out of pocket - will fix up with you on Saturday night.

thanks
  • Options
    Hi Giller

7pm at the Vesuvio restaurant on the Champs Elysées. I didn't need to leave a deposit with them so nothing to settle with me.
  • Options
    Rach

I've got approval from "Mrs Mike (Paris 2006)" to come to the James Joyce on Sun night..... so can you put us down for 2 for the buffet? How much will I owe you?

Thanks loads and looking forward to it...

Mike
  • Options
    Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

My last pre-Paris post.

Good luck to you all !!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Rach,

Gonna have to miss the celebrations on Sunday night, gotta get my flight back home....got the timings mixed up....d'oh.

Nevermind, still see you on Saturday night for the 'pasta party'

• Options
    Hi Mike

8 Euros per person for the buffet on Sunday night. I'll add you to the list.

Saturday night Pasta at Vesuvio

Rach
    Coops + 1 + guide dog.
    IQ + 1
    Guy
    Carpet
    CdK + ? (provisional)
    Doylie
    Suzie (supporter)
    Marija (supporter
    Orlagh (Supporter)
    Jaggy J + Danni ( Wife )
    Cymru2008 & Mrs Cymru2008
    Shiva +1
    David Fagan + Jo (wife)
    Running Bhoy & Mrs RB et trois enfants + 2
    Little Nemo
    Willie + 3
    Lucy + 1
    Giller + 3 adults
    Mr & Mrs SlowBloke
    Graz + Mrs Graz et deux enfants
    Chris (runner)
    Dad & Mum (supporters)
    Nick +1

Post race p!ss up down the pub

Rach
    Coops + 1 + guide dog.
    IQ + 1
    Guy
    Snoop
    Tiger
    Carpet
    CdK + 1 + ?
    Doylie
    Suzie (supporter)
    Marija (supporter)
    Orlagh (Supporter)
    Jaggy J + Danni
    Shiva+1
    David Fagan + Jo
    Giller +3 (2 Bag carriers).
    Running Bhoy & Mrs RB et trois enfants (if allowed!) + 2
    Chris (runner)
    Dad & Mum (supporters)
    Andy Lowes (& Angela)
    CRAB (RB'll vouch for me - maybe)
    Mike & Mrs Mike
    Neil E Dunnin + 3 (inc the lovely Daisy!)

Picnicers

Guy
    Coops + 1 + guide dog
    Mrs Doylie
    Marija
    Orlagh
    Mr IQ (allowed to get very drunk!)
    CdK's gang - 3 adults 2 children (they will be waiting quite some time for me!)
    Daria (shiva's +1)
  • Options
    We are about to leave for the airport.

I can't get a confirmation of the flight from Amsterdam to Paris - so I may well be spending the week in Amsterdam!!!

Me actually doing the marathon is seriously in doubt. My lower back and leg are stubbornley refusing to stop hurting!!

We will see you all at the parties hopefully!
  • Options
    Oops got that wrong!

Saturday night Pasta at Vesuvio

Rach
    Coops + 1 + guide dog.
    IQ + 1
    Guy
    Carpet
    CdK + ? (provisional)
    Doylie
    Suzie (supporter)
    Marija (supporter
    Orlagh (Supporter)
    Jaggy J + Danni ( Wife )
    Shiva +1
    David Fagan + Jo (wife)
    Running Bhoy & Mrs RB et trois enfants + 2
    Little Nemo
    Willie + 3
    Lucy + 1
    Giller + 3 adults
    Mr & Mrs SlowBloke
    Chris (runner)
    Dad & Mum (supporters)
    Nick +1
    Neil E Dunnin + 3 (inc the lovely Daisy!)

Post race p!ss up down the pub

Rach
    Coops + 1 + guide dog.
    IQ + 1
    Guy
    Snoop
    Tiger
    Carpet
    CdK + 1 + ?
    Doylie
    Suzie (supporter)
    Marija (supporter)
    Orlagh (Supporter)
    Jaggy J + Danni
    Shiva+1
    David Fagan + Jo
    Giller +3 (2 Bag carriers).
    Running Bhoy & Mrs RB et trois enfants (if allowed!) + 2
    Chris (runner)
    Dad & Mum (supporters)
    Andy Lowes (& Angela)
    CRAB (RB'll vouch for me - maybe)
    Mike & Mrs Mike

Picnicers

Guy
    Coops + 1 + guide dog
    Mrs Doylie
    Marija
    Orlagh
    Mr IQ (allowed to get very drunk!)
    CdK's gang - 3 adults 2 children (they will be waiting quite some time for me!)
    Daria (shiva's +1)
  • Options
    Rach, I've just had an e-mail from one of my friends saying that he was doing the marathon with 9 others! I didn't know. He wants to know if they can come on Saturday - will there be room?
  • Options
    I won't be able to add him with our group Coops. I've just phoned the manager to add another 4 people and he huffed and oh la la'd a lot! Could your friend call and make a seperate booking? Sorry..