Options

Run for Glory

Comments

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've never done an assault course as part of my marathon training - that must be where I'm going wrong!
  • Options
    Don't suppose having 60 pints before would make it any easier!
  • Options
    As a devoted Reality TV hater the chances of me watching Run For Glory is about the same as me waving to Paula Radcliffe as I ease past her on the mall !!.

Some good observations but the conumdrum is FLM is committed to taking sport like running to places it previously has not been ... so obviously some of the people your talking about in the show are just that ... as I do not know if the show has a pre determind aim I am not sure to criticise too much. In terms of an easier race to run, have to agree but nothing is as all encompassing (life wise) then training for a marathon!, it will make them assess more then just diet, it will challenge the mind as well as body . are they up for that?

If they are just TV wannabees then I want my license fee back from the glory hunting layabouts ... rant over.
  • Options
    Maybe my attitude is influenced by having a bad hip.

I find the concept of the programme, that anyone starting from any base of fitness, with enough will power and determination, can run a marathon within 6 months, quite staggering. I feel that it is a blase attitude that trivialises the challenge that we are currently facing.

When I started running I did not even have the marathon as an aim, because I thought it would be unrealistic. It took me a year of steady training to get from my low base of fitness to a half marathon - although I could probably have done it in 6 months at a push. My first half marathon hurt a lot, but I got round.

Over the next six months I trained some more and did a couple more half marathons. Being able to run the Cardiff Half Marathon convinced me that I might be able to take on a full marathon - but I knew it would take 6 months to move up from 13 to 26 miles (let alone from being barely able to walk a mile).

I still don't know how 26 miles is going to go. I have done 20, but my bad leg played up for the last 4.......another 6 to go?!?!

As I said, maybe my attitude is influenced by my bad hip, but I would have done myself serious damage attempting to go for a marathon in 6 months from starting out - and I was in better physical shape than many of these people. And I suspect that some of these will do themselves serious damage trying to take on this challenge within 6 months.

WildeRover
  • Options
    buggeration i missed it if anyone knows if it will be repeated please let me know

ta

tff
  • Options
    I tend to agree with the idea that some of the people are going to develop serious and long lasting injury.

I also think that there may be some surprises in store. I wouldn't mind betting that the 60 pint guy gets around the course, but at what cost??

I too tend to avoid these 'reality tv' shows, but I think I will be following this one with interest. We have to bear in mind that the programme editors will be wanting to show us the grim and the gruesome in the name of entertainment. So the idea that it may encourage others to get off the couch and do something may not actually work!
  • Options
    I think that they are being careful about injury risk. I've got a feeling that while those initial medicals showed several of them were very unfit, had they shown any real problems likely to get worse with training those people wouldn't have been accepted. I also noticed a lot of new running shoes on people's feet!

However as someone who was getting on for as unfit as some of them back in December (I could walk a lot further, but running... hmmm), and due to various problems has had to accept I'll be walking most of the marathon, I do think it's a shame that it seems to have a run it or nothing attitude. It's a shame if some of them drop out because they aren't going to make it running if they could have had a chance of getting round walking. If you are raising money for charity they still get it however fast you do it!

ps: I'm also someone who had it on my list to run a marathon. However I'm pretty much now saying that's still my ambition... after I've done this one!
  • Options
    I say 'good luck' to all of those taking part in the programme - I hope you all meet your goals.

Providing the BBC are taking a responsible approach to this, particularly regarding the long-term health of the runners involved, I fully support it because I think this programme could be a brilliant wake up call to lard-arses across the nation. 'If this lot can do it, then so can I,' being the mindset!

As Shades pointed out, the FLM was set up as 'the great suburban Everest' because it was for everyone to enter, and long may it remain so.

I'm sure part of their training will be to take part in shorter races in preparation for the main event, so the FLM will not be the first race they do.

In the meantime, prepare for disappointment in next year's ballot - entries will undoubtedly increase as a result of this programme.
  • Options
    Steve Cram seemed to be doubting that some of them would be able to complete a marathon in 6 months even if they walked most of it. And from what others on this thread are saying, it sounds like some have already dropped out - perhaps some of the less fit ones they were concentrating on in the first programme.
    I guess even to walk 26 miles you do have to have some sort of very basic fitness. I think the doctor is right to insist on a certain weight loss if they are to continue to take part in the programme. A stone in weight sounds a lot, but it's not much if you weigh 25 to start with! And if they don't have the discipline to lose a bit and meet the weight target, you would have to question their ability to put in some serious dedication to training.
    Good spot on the new running shoes, Rowan! At least Gunnell and Cram are making sure they're wearing proper footwear!
  • Options
    They only concentrated on four or five in the first programme and hardly even mentioned the others.

I suspect that this is because they know that they have plenty of episodes left to tell us about the others, but some of these featured in the first week won't be around past episode 3. Feature them now, so they get their 15 mins and we know something about them before they vanish.

I hope that they support those that have to drop out from the marathon, because given the mental state of some of them this kind of failure could send them into deep depression.

I just don't think the programme and the potential consequences have been thought through well enough.

WildeRover
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out. But if it changes one of the participant's life and they achieve their goal then it's worth it. I think it will inspire many watching too.

Hopefully the programme will show that if you have a goal, you can achieve that goal but only with bl**dy hard work and determination
  • Options
    I just really want the unfit lady with the sick boy to do make it. She seemed to be the least fit and if she can it would mean that just about anyone can. I kind of think that just about anyone could run a marathon with the correct training.

(Prob because i feel if I can then....)

ALso it seemed she needed such a life change after letting herself get into that condition (or lack of). I think there are millions of people in her shoes around the country who would prob put 'average' on a form next to fitness level and yet couldn't run for the bus. The inactive really have no idea what real fitness feels like.

• Options
    Shades

If it changes one participants life for the better through them achieving their goal, but destroys another's through serious injury of sending them into deep depression - do you still think that it is worth it?

WildeRover
  • Options
    Jees! WR, I'm assuming they've not just been dragged off the street and forced to do it!

They know what they have signed up for and I expect most of them will do it. To say it's a bad thing cos if they fail to complete it, it might destroy their lives is rather melodramatic and silly don't ya think?
  • Options
    I hope they succeed, although I definitely think 6 months is a bit on the short side.

Pixie, I noticed that too. It looked painful for some of them...

WR, slightly overdramatic, don't you think?
    ;)

And 60 pints? 60!
    Oh dear...
    (I had to rewind to check he didn't say 16)
  • Options
    No, I don't think so.

From a background in Psychology - If you listened to them talking on last weeks show, the big lad and the 23 year old girl are at very low ebbs on the brink of depression. They are seeing this as a magic panacea that is somehow going to turn them into someone and something different. They are very vulnerable and fragile and clinging to a hope that this will make a difference. If that does not happen it is very likely to send them into a state of depression that may take years to recover from.

From a background of having a disease of the joints, with a wife who has never fully recovered from torn ACL, a mother who has had to have both knees replaced due to arthritis - As far as the injuries are concerned, you only get one set of joints - damage them and it can make a really serious impact on the rest of your life.

WildeRover BSc.(Psych)
  • Options
    OK - I may end up eating my words.

It turns out that many of the participants have got pages on JustGiving. Here is a link to a central page of links:
    http://www.justgiving.com/Statements/articles/bbc_fundraisers.asp

The last update for the big chap (Steve Dale) was on 24/01/06. He was still going then and had got up to runs of 10 miles.

The blind chap (John Dawson) has already passed £5,000 in fundraising.

And special mention to Jj Luck, who seems to have come up with the idea of flogging tickets to a drinks reception with Sally Gunnell as part of her fundraising.

WildeRover PHe. (Potential Humble-pie Eater)
  • Options
    Having Steve, Sally and the doctor on the show will hopefully mean they have a much lower chance of getting a daft injury through ill informed over training.

I loved the way steve Cram slowed them all down and Sally made them power walk. I tell beginners to do both those things all the time, they are such common mistakes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link RW. Felt a burst of inspiration reading their stories and of their progress.

I see that John just ran a 1/2 mara yesterday, so am presuming that running 'shorter' races is part of their training plan.

Also, with regards to their mental health, I would have thought that they would have been seen by a psycologist prior to being accepted by the programme. Their phsical health was assesed, so maybe their mental health was too and support is in place for them.
  • Options
    Great stuff RW.
    Did notice only ten listed - do you think that means 3 have dropped out then?

N.B. DON'T READ ANY FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO WATCH THE NEXT FEW EPISODES WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT HAPPENS!!

Superb to see that Steve is still there and has lost 3 stone and now running 10 miles. You really would not have thought that was possible looking at him in the first show. Perhaps he's down to only 40 pints a weekend too ;0) - no, fair play to him, that is truly amazing progress.
    Three of them have raised over £4000 already for their charities as well - and with the publicity from TV you'd have thought they'd have a great chance to be spurred on by a huge total come April - especially as many of their charities are obviously so close to their hearts.
  • Options
    The link WR gave also gives the times of all the shows in the series. As we suspected it's the next 7 Thursdays at 7pm leading up to FLM.
    There is then an hour long 'special' at 7pm on Monday 24th April - the day after FLM.
  • Options
    wow
    Inspiring stuff
    thanks for the link WR
  • Options
    AEC40 - here is the thread.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WR - I would never suggest to anyone that they shouldn't try something just because they may fail or injure themselves.

None of us would ever do anything with our lives if we all thought like that.
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Wow, they've got some stories behind them, looking forward to Thursday's programme.
  • Options
    I wonder which HM John ran? Do you think this was part of the training for all of them or just one that he did on his own?