Splitting long runs

I am hoping for some advice really, as I am offshore at the moment and am a bit worried at not being able to complete my normal long runs over the weekend.

The gym facilities are good here but the treadmill only allows 60 minute blocks, after which involves starting again. This isn't a problem really but finding time to do 2 1 /2 hours running is, I have tried to get round this by doing 1/1/2 hours before shift then another hour after. I know this isn't as good as one continuous run but needs must.

Doing this sort of thing should I be running slightly faster than normal in both sessions or just keep to my normal long run speed? The rest of my training is fine, recovery runs, intervals and threshold work.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Sarcy, I would be tempted to do both runs at marathon pace. If that feels too tough then do the first run slower and the second run at marathon pace.

Best of luck!
  • Tricky one - I've asked a similar question before when I had to split a run.

On the one hand, you're not getting the body used to being on its feet for 2.5 hours, and you get a chance to recover glycogen etc in the middle. On the ohter hand you probably stiffen up a bit in the time inbetween which can't help.