Do you use IPods?

Comments

• ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Oh for heavens' sake! Can't you survive for just a short time (ie while you're at work!) without being plugged in to something!

This thread is bordering on the surreal now - nano's in your tie! Whatever next!
  • Ali Baby,

No offense meant but I share an office with four women and every now and again I need sometime away from 'what everybody is wearing out at the weekend'! And for that I thank my cd collection and my nano.
  • i had a 20gig one full to the gunnells with music, walked everywhere wif it, get this, some lowlife scum stole it from me in work!
  • blackflag: No!!!!! How can people who steal from work colleagues live with themselves??? Anyone not able to give you eye contact or act different towards you now? I hope you made a BIG song and dance about it and let everyone in the company know there is a lowlife in the company! I would have informed the Police...

I love using mine whenever I am on the train/tube as it blocks out everything else and makes the journey more enjoyable :-)

How many days until 1st April??? :-)
  • I got an iPod for Xmas and now won't go on long runs without it.

But I turn it on and off selectively. For the first 2 miles of a run I leave it turned off.... allowing me to concentrate on getting my running "rhythm" right. I also turn in off if there are lots of people around (so as not to bump into them), or equally in a particularly quiet area (so as not to get jumped on from behind!).

But in the latter half of my long runs I find an iPod to be a godsend. I've chosen a selection of songs that motivate me, help me push through the pain. Heather Small's "Proud" is one such example....
  • Mike: I also have Heather Small's "Proud" on my iPod :-)
  • Guys and Girls, Advice needed. I too currently run listening to my IPOD throughout my training. My question is.... would you recommend that I wear it during the FLM or not? Would wearing it ruin the experience of the day?
  • C10CKO: I would take it with you and only switch it on if you find yourself struggling as the music may get you going again if that's what you're used to when training. I'm sure the atmosphere at the FLM will be electric and will be enough to help you plod on but it may get tougher near the end and you might be grateful to have it with you just incase :-)

Good Luck for the FLM, wish I was running it!
  • I've used an iPod for long training runs but will definitely NOT use it in the marathon I'm doing in a couple of weeks.

Sound is an important part of the London experience. It's possible that the music might help to keep you going late in the race but you would miss a big part of the race. It's a day of memories, and the noise of the FLM is one of the best bits. Apart from that, no one will speak to you or offer encouragement if you're wearing headphones.

Oh, and people wearing headphones are a hazard to themselves and others in a crowded race like the FLM.

• RC: everyone is different and if so many people are a hazard wearing earphones, why do so many people wear them and why are they not banned??? I always wear my headphones in a race but I am still cautious of others around me.
  • The compromise solution has to be..... take your iPod, and stop and start it as the race, and your mood, dictates...

• Site has been delayed by a couple of weeks but will be live very soon, we have lots of cool accessories waiting here to go online, am very excited about our launch.

Would anyone be interested ina gift wrapping service by any chance? I don't mean those little bags with an item chucked in, I mean more an elaborate wrapped box with full paper bow and everything so that it's ready wrapped and all you need do is add your card, we would deliver these like all our goods in protectiv epackaging with polystyrene crisps so they arrive pristine!
  • The question was: "Would you recommend that I wear it during the FLM or not? Would wearing it ruin the experience of the day?"

As you say, everyone is different,
    My answer is no, I would not recommend it and yes, it would ruin the experience.

But then this depends on why you enter races. I can understand someone using an iPod on the Luton marathon but the question was specifically about London. When I remember that race, I recall the numerous bands and sound systems, the cheers of the crowd and the conversations and the stories I heard along the way from other runners, probably more than I remember the visuals.

As you say, everyone is different, but I'm firm on this. Long solitary training runs, yes, iPods are a godsend. But the race is the reward for all that training, and to deliberately cut yourself off from it seems pointless and rather sad.

As for the question: why do so many people use them in races, the response would have to be that very few people use them in races. I don't have stats of course but I would suggest far less than 1% of people use iPods in a race like FLM. So the question should be: if it's such a good idea, why do 99% of people NOT do it?!!!

:-)

• UK2004: Thanks for the update, please keep us posted. Wrapping service is a nice idea :-) for those buying iPod accessories as gifts.

RC: I understand your point but an iPod weighs so little it makes no difference if you carry it and then don't use it on the day does it? As I mentioned above, I would take it but only switch it on if needed as the FLM atmosphere will probably be electric (not arguing with that). But if that's what your used to running with, it does no harm to take it just incase. It's good to have the option.

If there is such a small % of people wearing headphones they can't be that much of a hazard / any more of a hazard than other runners then. ;)

>>>runs off for Sat am run with iPod in hand>>>
  • BF, RC and Mike: Many thanks for your thoughts on this. Definately given me something to think about.
  • OK BF, fair enough. As you can see it's something I feel strongly about, but it's horses for courses. This is the first year I've used iPods on long runs, and have to say that I really like them, particularly with the BBC doing all those podcast shows at the moment.
  • Since we all seem to be such big iPod fans this seemed like the logical place to ask this (dumb) question....

When I first got my 2GB iPod Nano I accidentally deleted a couple of the pre-set Playlists, I think they were the 'Last 25 Played' and something else along those lines. Now that I've got quite used to it and thinking this would have been a good thing to have, is there any way I can add it back on which would enable the iPod to store the last '25 last played' songs? Or have I deleted it for good?

As you can tell I'm a bit of a technophobe so my apologies, but thanks in advance if anyone can help!!
  • Question for you UK2004, will you be stocking iPod headphones (the original ones or as good quality) which have one lead to the earphone shorter than the other one, if that makes sense! I was given an armband for my nano but when I wear it, obviously I need more cable to reach the ear fut=rthest from my arm! If I leave the cable looser, it gets in the way!
  • A rubber band will solve this problem.
  • Willb stocking products to this effect. We will have some retractable headphones too which are excellent they lock in whatever amount of lead you want inside a littel circular device and you pull out the amount that you want, we will have a lot of gadgets for helping runners use their ipods in comfort while still having good sound quality!

I have taken delivery of some cordless headphones and one set look erfect for keeping on while excercisng while keeping good sound quality.
  • Our website si nearing completion, hopefully two and a half weeks and we will be live with our fantastic range of products, we have some cool stuff available and will be putting an advert in the Runner's World magazine so everyone gets to know about us.
  • Great, looking forwarding to seeing what you have on offer.
  • Are you Italian by the way, I like your nickname!
  • use an ipod nano on most long training runs.

have the same problems as most with tangled wires, earphones getting pulled out and how to carry it.

will look out for your website.

best of luck
  • To prevent "trailing cables" I use different methods dependant upon what iPod (iPod or Mini)and what earphones I run with. With my iPod, I have an arm band with a case that has a velcro piece on the side for cables, and that stops 'em tangling. I often use my Sony Fontopia headphones with the min iPod and just use the short cord piece (it is a 2 piece set). However, I always put the cables behind my head and tuck them inside my vest 0shirt and then along the back of my shoulder and arm. I now never have a problem with cables getting snagged.
  • Considering buying an Ipod shuffle for running -currently use a cheap Dual 256mb player for running and a Rio Carbon for social use.
    Ali Baby is right to point out the potential safety implications about using earphones outside -it does diminish your senses. -sadly more women than men are victims of personal attacks when outside -also apply this to using a mobile phone in the street. The "gift of fear" use it, don't lose it.

Is the shuffle a decent upgrade on a cheap 256mb stick player? I believe Tesco are doing shuffles presently for under 50 quid.
  • UK2004: I am not Italian but my other half is and I have a red Italian sports car that is my version of a small Ferrari hence the name. My favourite colour is red and I also like to 'dream' I am fast as a Ferrari on the road road and as dreaming is free I can dream all I like ;-)

Viffer: I also put cables down my back, through clothes etc but the wire can still be long (depends what I am wearing). I would like to try a shorter version if available.

DoctorK: The shuffle is fab and so tiny/light. I keep 100s of songs in the library and then change what's on my shuffle from time to time when I am bored listening to the same music. Under £50 is good and you well really enjoy it. Go buy it now before they run out as they sell like hotcakes...
  • BF - try the Sony Fontopia; they come in 2 parts so you can use a long cable or detach most of it and use the short part if you have an arm-band. this works extremely well.