Options

'Mature' runners.

Comments

• Options

Nice 5 mile run in the forest this morning with Nemo, John took Charlie out on the other side of the forest.

John and I are trying to decide between 4 different half-marathon races in March and April, also which other events to enter (triathlons and swims), trickier for me as I also have to fit in some dog shows and trials.

I hope RW get the kinks out of the forums soon, I'm very tired of always being kicked back to page one every time I come on this thread!

• Options

Back from London, having had a very rewarding Christmas with the whole family; Younger Grand-daughter had a tummy bug (D & V) on the day itself, but had recovered by 27th which is when there was a grand get-together of all 5 "children" and their Other Halves.

Also managed a parkrun (Tooting Common) and an hour's consultation with a gait analyst, who gave me good advice and lots of suggested exercises; however, he has yet to email them to me, which he said he would do.

Very impressed by the 4-figure runners. There was one year when I did 1009, but only squeezed over the 1,000 running nearly every day in the last couple of weeks of the year, and not really enjoying it.

Glad to hear IW is ok. Red, perhaps you will send her our best wishes via Facebook (I don't "do" Facebook myself). 

• Options

Morning all,

Minus 5 degrees and patchy fog. Not ideal running conditions. I'm doing a road run with Alice, who I haven't run with for some while. She has been recovering from her back and calf problems incurred during the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon.

Welcome back Columba and glad you enjoyed Christmas with your family. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that I don't catch a cold from our Boxing Day gathering. I hope the advice and exercises given by the gait analyst produce positive results. I'm not on Facebook either, but lots of my running friends keep on at me to use WhatsApp, instead of texting.  

JB, how did you get on with your 10 miler yesterday? 

• Options

Morning all,

We were supposed to be going to Rye Harbour for a spot of bird-watching this morning but Mike's a bit under the weather so we're staying home. What a glorious day it is though, all frosty and bright. Just about to head out for a 7 miler although might have to cut it short if my breathing is poor. -4 here and very heavy frost and the lane looks a tad slippery......

Welcome back Columba. Glad to hear you had a lovely family get-together. Interesting about your gait analysis and hope it helps. Will pass on your regards to IW.

TE, hope you enjoyed your run.

Exhausted, lovely to hear from you (passes tissues). Jealous that you can just pop on your running shoes and churn out a decent mileage with little effortimage

• Options

HS - my '10 miler' turned into a disappointing and de-moralising 8 miler. Tried to keep up with my training partner in the 'middle' 5 mile and failed horribly - and then aborted.

Today I did 3 miles and felt lousy. I go through these patches (do we all?) and get rather sloppy - I lack a bit of focus sometimes.

Redhead - Rye is a lovely spot; one of the many jewels in the Sussex crown.

Tomorrow is a definite rest as it's a 'walking with friends' day ending up in a pub. The odd thing is that none of them are 'fit' in running terms (they all think I'm crazy) and they are all older than me - but I'm the slowest walker (until and unless we come to a hill!).

• Options

Morning all,

Our plans to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary today have been thwarted by thick fog and treacherous road conditions. It's a joint celebration with the release of the film animation of 'Father Christmas' by Raymond Briggs for which Mike wrote the music and gave us enough pennies to afford to get married at last. I'm only sulking a bit 'cos we'll just postpone it until tomorrow image

Now I'll have to go for a run on the treadmill and I'm not in the zone at all!

JB6, yep we all have runs like that, except for TE 'cos he's a machine. Cake is my motivation image

• Options

Red: Happy Anniversary! (We clocked up 39 years recently.) Your hubby is a very talented - and it goes without saying, lucky - man...........but he probably doesn't chalk up as many miles in training as you!

Went out for short early morning run (thick fog; thicker runner) and now off for a walk with friends - assuming we can find them in the fog!

• Options

Morning all,

Very thick fog this morning which is slowly clearing, but glad that it is a rest day.

Red and JB congratulations to you both on your Wedding Anniversaries!

Red, Sarah also calls me a machine.

Yesterdays road run with Alice didn't go well. Her calf, which has been giving her problems, tightened up after just half a mile, so I walked back with her to her car, as she couldn't run. I carried on running after that but didn't enjoy it at all. Firstly because Alice wasn't with me, and secondly because it was freezing cold and the pavements were icy and treacherous. I managed to run 11 miles, but at no more than a medium paced jog.  

• Options

Adding my congrats to Red and JB on your respective wedding anniversaries.

Hi Columba - I am fine, just having IT problems.

Yet again today when logging on I found myself on page 1, the very first page when JJ started this thread years ago, no idea why this keeps happening. Anyone have an inkling? Weird, on the triathlon thread whenever I try to add workouts I get chucked out of December's list and thrown back to November. Doesn't happen anywhere else, I have no problems with email or FB.

Kitchen rep coming at 2pm to help us plan our new kitchen - it's long overdue because the one we have was here when we moved in and it was old then!

• Options

Not running today because I have a heavy cold.

• Options

Ploughed through 7 months of work without so much as a sniff, while all my colleagues fell by the wayside. Now I've got a week off I've come down with the mother of all colds. The sort where your head feels like a soggy cold canvas sack and someone is pressing down on your chest. 

I'm a sniffing machine, to rival TE's running machine and Red's marathon machine. 

Sounds a nice family Christmas, Columba,

Wrote the music to Father Christmas. I like that cartoon. I like it when children keep recognising him. Enjoy the Silver Wedding.

My husband paid for us to get married by doing clinical trials and having all sorts of noxious creams smeared over him.  

• Options

Exhausted, sorry to hear about what sounds a really horrible cold. I think that this is a fairly common experience when the pressure is off and we relax. A rather unique way for your husband to be for raising money for the wedding.

The fog hasn't lifted all day and is now getting thicker again.

• Options

Back from our walk. This is the foggiest day I can recall in this part of the world; we hardly ever get them as it's usually so windy. It chills you to the marrow.

Exhausted: sorry to hear of your bugs. HS is right - it's when you relax that the lurgy strikes!

Parkrun tomorrow.

• Options

Morning all,

Still foggy, but not as thick as yesterday. I think I will do a road run today, just in case the fog comes back and I get lost in the forest.

JB hope you have a good parkrun this morning.

• Options

Much nicer here today.

HS  thanks for your good wishes. Last parkrun of the year today - 21:34. Quite pleased but 2nd in category. 2 more to do tomorrow but I think the weather might be a bit less welcoming.

• Options

Hello again all, I can't believe how long it is since I last posted on here. We’re in the throws of house selling/buying at the moment and what with that, and hospital visits to my aunt, then visiting my sister in Torquay, babysitting duties  - well, you get the picture don’t you! Life just seems so busy these days, on top of which my recurrent bouts of coughs and colds don’t help (sympathy with Exhausted x). I keep trying to fit in events, but struggle with them as my fitness isn't what it should be because I’m not able to string together a decent spell of training before I go down with yet another cold. 

Anyway, enough moaning. I’ve been reading back over the posts and yet again take my hat off to  Hillstrider - what an enviably consistent runner you are. Likewise Red, and many congratulations to you and Mike on your silver wedding anniversary (I hope Mike’s feeling better now), gosh what a talented couple you are! 

Also a belated happy birthday to JB6, you sound like another speedy runner. I’m 62 too, but my parkrun times are a lot slower than yours, I think I’ve done well if I can get around in 28 mins, however I beat you in the marriage stakes - we’ve been married 41 years. image

Columba - your visit to the gait analyst sounds encouraging. Did you ever get the exercises he promised you? I remember reading an article in RW with exercises to strengthen knees - might be worth doing a “search” on the RW site?

Let me wish a Happy New Year to you all, and very best wishes for a happy, injury free (and sniffles free) 2017.

• Options

Aquarius: you are winning in the race that matters!

• Options

JB6 - haha, very good! That's the only race I'm ever likely to lead! image

• Options

Red - happy anniversary. Very impressed at Mike's having written the "Father Christmas" music, though I don't think I saw the film, just read the book. I watched "The Snowman and the snowdog" with Little Grand-daughters over Christmas.

Commiserations to Exhausted with your cold. Nurse it well. Whisky and hot lemon, and all that.

TE - though I don't do Facebook, I am on What'sApp groups, all of them with my children in various combinations. It's really useful.

Aquarius - the gait analyst has sent me references to two books he recommends, but not yet the specific exercises. I'll give him a few more days to recover from the festive season, then nag him a bit. I have plenty of knee-strengthening exercises to do, from past copies of RW and other places, but what he was advising was much more whole-body stuff.

Did 3.1 miles this afternoon, a pretend parkrun as there are no real ones round here. Tried to put the GA's advice into practice; not so easy!

• Options

Happy New Year everyone and let's hope its a good one.

JB, another excellent parkrun time by you.

Aquarius, welcome back, its ages since you last posted on here and I thought you had abandoned us. I hope 2017 will be cold free for you.

Columba, I will have to download WhatsApp as everyone seems to have it, and say that it is much better than texting. Hope your exercises bring good results for your knee.

Red, I believe you said that you have another marathon on 2nd January, but I may have imagined it. If you have, best of luck.

BIW, hope you will soon be able to get back on the web again.

The fog was less dense this morning and I ran a tempo pace 7 miles on roads. It was much warmer, and I was overdressed, finishing up with soaking kit. It might have been the damp fog though, rather than honest sweat.

I'm running early tomorrow morning with Karen, and we hope to finish before the heavy rain comes.

• Options

Morning all,

Hope you are not nursing hangovers this morningimage

Total mileage for 2016 was 1756, highest since 2013. Off for an early morning run shortly with Karen. Alice is still resting her poorly calf.

• Options

HS - that's a really very impressive tally for the year.

My parkrun double was a bit of a disaster. Reigate proved to be a very lovely course - if only it were the summer! I'm afraid it was too tough for me and reminded me that (and this is a cricket term) I am something of a 'flat track bully'! Too much mud,  too many nasty little 'hills' - not my cup of tea.

My hamstring tweaked in the final km and so I aborted the 2nd planned run. No choice really. So 2017 kicks off with a vin ordinaire 24:02 but a category win.

• Options

Excellent mileage HS, do you set yourself a target each year or just tot it all up at the end out of curiosity? I hope your run went well this morning, it's a lovely day here - sunny, no wind, not too cold in fact perfect for running (and if it wasn't for this pesky cold I'd have been doing a XC todayimage)

Sorry your parkrun double was a disaster John, I quite like mud and hills, but it certainly doesn't lend itself to PBs I've found. Having said that though - 24.02? That seems pretty fast to me for a muddy hilly course with a tweaked hamstring. 

• Options

JB, I ran an xc race in Reigate many many years ago, long before Parkrun, didn't care too much for those hills either back then, I think I was about14 at the time. Our family lived in Horley - my brother actually still lives in our family home with his wife, 2 cats and 4 Border Collies! I went to school in Reigate and worked part time at Jack O' Donahue's racing stables in return for free rides on the head stable woman's ponies. Don't know if the stables are still there, probably not.

Redhead, here's a topical new addition to your German vocabulary - Frohes Neues Jahr und ein Guten Rutsch! ((Happy New Year and a good slide) Everybody wishes everyone they see a "good slide" into the new year.

John and I are both recovering from nasty colds that I hope are now on the way out. We did take the dogs out into the forest today, John ran 6km with Nemo and I did 12km jog and walk with Charlie.

Off now to make dinner - homemade Paella tonight, John's favourite meal.

• Options

JB, that parkrun sounded right up my street, mud and hills. An impressive time with a tweaked hamstring.

Aquarius, I don't set a yearly target, but enter all my runs and races on fetch, which keeps "a running total." I do, however, try to average 40 miles per week, which would exceed 2,000 miles per annum. This is difficult though, as I do so many races, that I am always tapering. Our run went well this morning and we ran 10 miles on roads at a very good pace. Conditions were good, in fact a trifle on the warm side for the kit we were wearing. We finished before the rain, which was our intention.

• Options

Aquarius/HS - thanks. We are all different in our preferences and abilities and our sport accommodates such differences very well. All I can say is that my preferences and abilities most certainly lie in the direction of flat, firm, straight, dry and windless!

• Options

Morning all,

Bright and sunny, but zero degrees at the moment.

Sarah has a bad cough and cold so won't be running this morning. In the circumstances, I've decided to have a rest day, which will help me to recover from two days hard running. I'll enter a few more races instead.image

• Options

Good idea TE,we are looking at the event listings for 2017 to decide which ones to enter. John has already entered the local half-ironman triathlon and the Thames 14km marathon swim. We are both looking at running the Kaiserslautern half-marathon but entries are not yet open.

We have both run in the forest today, John with Charlie and me with Nemo - it has been snowing on and off but very lightly, the pavements have a slight dusting but the roads are just wet.

• Options
    ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭

Rest well, TE. I'm sure you deserve it.

Frosty and sunny here; ran 2.2 miles slowly.

• Options

Morning all,

Minus 5 and very frosty. We have hill reps at club this evening, so hoping the ground won't be icy.

Thanks Columba, I got some good exercise yesterday by attempting to sweep and gather up the leaves in my front garden.

I see that my name is greyed out again.