Breathlessness, wheezing

Never had this before ... a slight feeling of breathlessness and having to breathe in deeper than usual. And a distinct wheeze when breathing out hard (but not in) ... sometimes with a kind of "hoop" sound, but I'm pretty sure I haven't got whooping cough :-) This was all during a gentle 9-mile plod this morning, which I finished otherwise feeling fine.

Noticed it also on Friday, during some half-mile reps at speed, especially towards the end when I was running out of puff.

No bugs or colds lately. Never been asthmatic. Don't smoke (but did for 25 years).

Any ideas?

Comments

• Sounds like late onset asthma to me... I had identical symptoms about 8 years ago...

Air has been very cold lately... could have triggered this...

Might even be a chest infection... took your temperature lately?
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I haven't taken my temp in yonks ... feel absolutely fine, the recent bugs have passed me by, most recent outing with hrm showed normal readings.

I have noticed clearing my throat more than normal when running of late, but not been hacking up lumps or anything.
  • Definitely asthma. Exercise induced or change in air temperature perhaps.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    OK ... do I need to do anything about this? Speak to the GP?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    asthma

welcome to the club, Mutts.

(I'm wearing you emblazoned across my chesticles today, by the way)
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    So that's why I was feeling a sense of deep inner contentment, Jj :-)

Do I need to do anything about this if it is asthma?
  • This form of asthma -does it make you cough as well ? I sometimes have to cough after runs -particularly in the cold -no infection there and not very productive.
    Mind you I have had bronchitis recently and antibiotics (mid Feb) so that might have done some damage -the cough I had then seemed to come from my feet.
  • might be worth just getting a routine blood test and asking them to test for calcium levels.
  • Muttley, I'd say see the doc

I ignored my asthma for 18 months... had a very bad attack in USA on a run nearly died.

In my younger days I'd had some really tough medicals that neverpicked this problem up.

Doc gave me a low dose steriod inhaler, take one puff a day... never have any problems completely free of wheezing... have another inhaler to take if I ever get another attack... never have.

Go see the doc given your history of smoking you need to check its nothing more sinister ;-)
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Hmmm ... think I'll do that, Corinth.

Cheers to all for your advice.
  • Muttley - i have the same problem (check out my name!), I'm fine until i exert myself or if its cold, then squeek, wheeze, cough !

I also have a once a day inhaler like Corinthian which seams to work to an extent but not always. However i am not overly bothered to fill myself upwith steriods just to get a PB.

Having said that i do now alway put Asthmatic on the back of my race number incase i really do have a problem one day.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Saw GP today ... reckons it's exercise-induced asthma. Prescribed an inhaler to use if I want to, but said in its current state not something to worry about. So I'll keep a watching brief for now and use the prescription to get the inhaler if it begins to bother me.

Thanks to all for the advice.
  • Muttley -

I've had exercise-induced asthma for 28 years. The good news is it can be sucessfully managed and shouldn't impair performance too much.

My advice would be to get the inhaler and have it on stand by. A bad attack can cause broncial spasm and place an unnecessary strain on your heart.

A 200mg hit of Salbutamol BP with give realif within seconds. Without this intervention, the situation can lead to a medical emergency.

Better safe than sorry as they say.

SJ

P.S. A certain Ms Paula Radcliffe is a fellow sufferer so take heart!
  • Could this be why I have never every been able to exercise for more than 2 minutes without feeling as if lungs are closing up? Can do 5K in 40 minutes in bits, but would like to run continuously! (10K coming up soon!)Would appreciate any advice!
  • go and see your GP Liz
  • I have started to get this thing with my breathing and any advice would be very much appreciated. When breathing in, I can't breath in all the way, you know can't get a whole long deep breath in. I have to stop running and stand still to be able to get a full breath in, which kinda screws up the run.

This freaks me out like you wouldn't beleive. It's almost like there's this cut off point for my breath that leaves me gasping.

Any ideas?
  • I get it but only if I exert myself in really hot weather. Haven't gone to the docs as it doesn't affect anything else I do exercise-wise.

By the way a lot of elite athletes have 'asthma' and are on bronchodilators. Some may be genuine, but what a nice legal way of improving your oxygen uptake !
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Asthma tends to be problems breathing out, rather than breathing in. When I have an attack I can't breathe out properly and I breath in so much that my chest muscles hurt the next day from the strain. But at teh time it feels as though you are not gettinge nough air in, and that's why you can't breathe out (if that make sense). If your breathing is getting shallow ZCV it might not be asthma. But best to get checked out anyway.
  • "Get it checked immediately. It sounds like late offset asthma to me. I had similar symptoms at the starting. However, in case you are diagnosed with Asthma, nothing to worry about. Just follow the instructions and medications of your physician.
    Additionally, you can try some great natural home remedies to support your treatment. I have used cloves, ginger and turmeric milk, herbal tea to get the best out of my treatment. I found all these amazing natural remedies on iahas.com, and I am sure you will get some excellent herbal remedies for Asthma on the internet. "