Marwell Zoo 10K

McGoohanMcGoohan ✭✭✭
It says here:
"Undulating course, starting and finishing in the zoological park, and taking in quiet Hampshire country lanes. Ample parking, baggage area and toilet facilities Strictly no entries on the day. A GREAT DAY OUT!! 10Km and Fun Run Race fee includes runner's entry to the Zoological Park for the day! Discounts for Parents and Supporters"

Anyone done this? How long is the kid's run? Do they let the animals out to run too?

Comments

• Bit short of cash for May Day holiday fun then McG?
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Hi McGoohan

I did this race last year. The first 6k is up hill. Goes through some lovely country side.

Re: Zoo discount my husband and 2 kids paid £25 to entry fee. The discount was only about £1/50p. The best option is to enter your kids in the fun run if you have any.

I am still waiting to see if my husband if of work for this.
  • Did this last year - as Tracey says get the kids in the fun run - seem to think its about 1k. I only paid for the wife to enter the park, so a bargain day out.

The first half is tough but eases up after that. good luck, suspect its filling up quickly by now.
  • McGoohanMcGoohan ✭✭✭
    Free entry to the zoo 360? Well, I'd probably do the 10K hopping if I got in for nowt.

Ta TG and LA. Just realised I'm supposedly doing a 5 miler in Reigate 6 days before (with kids again entered in the fun run) so I don't know if my wife can be persuaded...
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    McGoohan - Marwell Zoo is lovely. It has a train that takes you round the whole zoo, don't know how much it cost. Also there is a big playround.
  • I wonder if they've moved the start since last year, it was pretty crowded. In my running diary for last year, I recorded that it took me 2 minutes to get running after the horn because of congestion at the start. I've still entered this year though, it's an excellent 10k race and a good day out.
    Sam
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I have just entered this race.

Sam - The start was very congested last year. I remember it stop in on that steep hill.
  • Hi

I also remember the sneaky little incline right at the end - what a way to finish!

I'm using the ultimate local hill to train for this, it takes me about 7 mins to get from bottom to top, It's a real mean one. Not sure if anyone knows Woodmill lane in Southampton?

Also, I beat my track record for my 6.7 mile route. I ran the same route (Weston Shore, Netley, Hamble loop) two weeks before Marwell last year and I've knocked 2 mins of the time. This bodes really well for a good time at Marwell (for me anyway!).

Take it easy

Sam
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Sam - I was most disappointed I thought the finish was at the bottom of that hill. I had nothing left to get up that hill.

Also what was not a good idear, is getting there late and having to run to the start all up hill. I was very red faced at the start of the race.

It was my second race and first undulating one. Those hills at the begin were not much fun for a newbee.
  • Entered this one with my wife - her first race of any sort. We managed 9k on Sunday so am feeling confident - but that was fairly flat (round Virginia Water lake in Surrey - part of the Windsor 1/2 marathon course).

Might not tell her about the 'undulations' though don't want to worry her too much!
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    I ran this one 2 years ago and it felt like climbing the North face of the Eiger to me! I still ran a PB (not hard as it was my first 'serious' 10K and I'd not long turned 40!!) and I ran the whole way too!

3 kids and Daddy loved the zoo - we spent all the rest of the day there. Just remember to take an extra jacket to keep warm afterwards. The animals don't mind the post-race pong so don't worry too much about a change of clothes!

Hope to do it again this year (I've been having some horrid medical treatment in the intervening 2 years, so it'll be a way to prove I'm back!!).
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I sent of my cheque last week for me and the kids.

Last year was my first 10k and second race, had not done an undulation one before. My time last year was 1:06:09, will be try for 60mins this year. Done a lot of undulating race since, so should be a lot better, well I hope.
  • I'm getting really worried about this race now, I was led to believe there was 1/2 mile hill at the beginning and that was it. I am not good on hills at the best of times and an incline at the end is just mean!

How much hill training do I need to do?
  • ftm42ftm42 ✭✭✭
    Lots of hill training required! The steep uphill at the end is very short (about 50yds, I think!) but it's very steep - you need to save some energy so you don't have to walk up it right at the end of a hard run!
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Hi Ali, I thought the finish was and the bottom of the hill. Will not go flying down it this year, with no energy to get up the little steep hill.
  • I did this one last year too and being a slower runner I could see everyone who'd got to the bottom of the last hill in front of me making their way back up the other side to the finish line. I'd funnily got it into my head that if I ran really quickly down the hill, (like how you'd pedal really fast if you were on a bike), that my momentum would keep me going to get up the other side..... guess what though, my feet don't have wheels attached so my plan failed! I did make it without stopping, although I did go from quite a sprint down to a trot very quickly which is no surprise.

Don't be frightened by the hills folks - this was my first undulating course and I absolutely loved it! Its a lovely course and I'm hoping to be back again this year to beat my time.
  • Don't panic Mr Mainwaring! The first part undulates up if you know what I mean - it undulates with an uphill trend - then back down, quite gently so able to recover well. Flat back half dropping down into the zoo with a short and steep incline to the finish - if you build some speed going down you can carry it through towards the finish - not sure I'd advocate that if its wet though!

The start is congested but the roads in the park are narrow so we just accept that.

Its a lovely run, and a great day out. I have to do the fun run with my daughter before the 10K - anyone care to join me (I even manage to beat some of them!!!!)
  • I was thinking of doing this one too. It looks to me like you have to get sponsors though?? I only like to do one sponsored run per year or else the gals at work get a bit sick of coughing up and I'm already doing the Race for Life.

Have I got this wrong??
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Fat Fyes - You don't have to get sponsored. I have had a few races that send you sponsor form with your running number, but you don't have to be sponsored.

Has anyone sent there cheque of and had it cashed?
  • Thanks Tracey G....might just go for it then.
  • Thanks limping along, I don't feel quite so bad now.

Tracey, they have cashed my cheque so no going back now
  • I seem to remember, back in 2002 (I think) the course was run the opposite way round, ie leaving the zoo by the side entrance near the beginning and re-entering at the main entrance at the end. Does anyone know if the direction is switched every year?
    Thanks

Sam
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Diana - I got an email from the race director, I am in.
  • Think i may do this one - take it slow and enjoy it
  • What sort of times is everyone looking at - anyone a slow plodder like me? Without a doubt I will come in towards the back end of everyone; not that I mind as I'm at least confident I can finish and thats what counts. Are you guys all speedy whizzes or will anyone be coming in alongside me?

DD
  • Hi DD - I'm aiming for about 55 minutes. I ran it in 57:49 last year which was a 10k PB for me. I've done a lot more training for this one so the omens are good for another PB.

Sam
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    DD - It took me 66 mins last year. Hoping to get closure to 1hr this year.

Got my number today, 508.
  • Hoping for a new Pb so under 54 mins for me
  • Good luck for your pb, personally I find this a bit of a tough course, quite hilly really
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    chunky - I is a bit on the hilly side for the first half of the race. Less than two weeks to go.