Hello all - just moved house and now trying desperately to find, register with and go see a good local GP. Until then I have a question which you kind people might be able to help me with ;-)
Been running for nearly 6 years, 8 marathons, no health probs. Recently (last 4-5 weeks) been getting discomfort located in the left-hand-side of my chest during runs. Feels deep.
- located solely in left-side
- no pain or discomfort in arm/back
- feels more like tightness, pressure and a dull ache (rather than sharp stabbing pain)
- concentrated like a circle towards bottom of rib cage, radiating out round the side
- comes and goes
- happens during runs lasts 3-4 mins goes, sometimes comes back later on
- can be runs of high or lower intensity
- happens also during day sometime (right now, while sat at desk for the past 45 mins)
- no noticeable shortness of breath
- coincided with occasional nauseau and tummy probs
The possibility of angina has crossed my mind.
I wear a HRM all the time during training and have seen no weird readings, even when the tightness has occured. Although have noticed that my heart rate vs effort has recently fallen quite markedly (hoping that that's the +ve effects of training). First time it happened I thought it was down to running too fast and talking at the same time.
No history of heart probs in the family. But the chest pains have got me a bit concerned. Could it be muscular/overuse? Have upped the training over the past 18 months. A year ago, my previous GP commented that my blood pressure was a bit high - not worryingly so, but to keep an eye on it. I was surprised considering on the face of it, I'm pretty fit. Can't remember the reading though (not much use, am I!?).
Any ideas or questions to ask a GP when I get to see one?
Many thanks in advance! :-)