Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

Comments

• The one at North Ferriby is. If you can afford Forest Pines at Scunthorpe I'll give you a lift. There's also a couple of Travel Lodge/Inns in Scunny too.
  • Hotel Elizabeth & Home Farm are five/ten minutes walk away.
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    Any decent (and reasonably priced) camp sites in the area?
  • thanks chaps, my sister has just offered to drive me up from lincoln in the morning which i might do yet, tho i do fancy the thought treating myself so i may stay over. thanks for offers of lift too Mark.
  • The brand new deVere Village Hotel has just published promotional special weekend rates of £20 per person per night. The hotel is just off Clive Sullivan way and is just a couple of miles from the start. Could be worth a try.
  • Having ran last years race where I really struggled I'm glad to hear there will be more water. I would make one other suggestion though - is it not possible to close of one side of the Bridge so runners can run on the road (other other side could still have traffic - using one lane each way). There are two reasons for this - 1) On the south bound route the runners are still quite grouped together at this early stage and it is really difficult to pass on the narrow path. 2) On the north bound route the road actually blocks any breeze onto the path and you are in full sunlight with no shade to be found (and no water stations either). If you could run on the road at least there would be a breeze making that last 2 miles managable!
  • Sorry Prince! As you can imagine we tried to do this from the first year but no go I'm afraid.
  • hi again flanker, how are you? nack to full strength yet? Jsut cracked 2 hours for a half a couple of weeks ago so really pleased. Am now planning ahead a little and trying to decide what to do after the dog and hedgehog half in a week and a half.
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    hi hellen, great that you're back in one piece and running again. And a PB too - given your last 6 months you've got to be chuffed with that!

I've got Stratford half the same day as yours. I'm getting back to full strength and, for some strange reason, I've entered White Peak marathon on 20th May (!) so I've been concentrating on endurance and in doing so seem to have lost a lot of speed, but never mind. I was doing the half but got talked into moving up to the full. I may well regret it!!

Are you thinking of Humber Bridge half? I'm seriously considering it. It's a long journey, but I really fancy running across the bridge!
  • there are so many races I want to do but I need to be careful not to overdo it. After watching london (on TV) on sun I am tempted by a marathon!!! Thats brave of you doing the white peak marathon. I think my priority for the year is to try to get my half time down further and in training for a marathon I may have to sacrifice speed as you are doing so may delay marathon for a while
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    my main aim for the year is to get sub 1:45 for the half. Probably aiming at Robin Hood for this. The marathon thing just sort of happened, meaning I've only had about 8 weeks to prepare for it.
  • mmmmm, these things do have a habbit of happening. Have been thinking about a full marathon this week. consequently, in my dream last night I was doing the RH half then decided to continue to the full!!! Am I going mad or what?!!!
    my aim is to get another PB in the RH this year. That is my last good opportunity this year I think. In the meantime am trying to decide what to do race wise. there is this one whcih is poss or there is one in stoke in june and one in newark in aug. Anyone know about either of those?
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    stark raving bonkers! you have to be to want to run 26.2 miles!

I didn't realise thre was one in Newark in August. Might well give that one a shot as I was looking for an Aug race.
  • newark is meant to be flat but it will be v hot in aug
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    That's OK, I will spend most of July running in Biarritz & the Pyrennes, so compared to that it should be bareable.
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    Or perhaps that should be:

That's OK, I will spend most of July in Biarritz & the Pyrennes. I might do a bit of runnng while I'm there, so compared to that it should be bareable.
  • hang on newark???? is that half or a full
  • mmm thinking now, was only gonna do 3 this year but newark would fit in quite nicely. doing humber, great north and coventry half.
  • whens coventry? didnt know there was one there
  • flankerflanker ✭✭✭
    sometime late October when I'm on hols :-(

If you look for "Godiva" on the events on here you'll find it (I think).

If some/all of us go up to Humber, is it worth sharing transport ... especially given the way the price of fuel is going!
  • Just taking a gander at the website, and I quite fancy this one too!
    It's a nice excuse not to do the Seabank Marathon a week earlier, and it fits nicely into my training for the Nottingham marathon. Count me in!!
  • im doing cov half, october22. have entered but no route anounced yet... tho if like last year (didnt do cos injured) they left it realy late to release it.
  • might be on hols for cov, it is slapbang in the middle of my 2 week half term, we usually go away for a week so unless we go sat to sat which is quite limiting looks like I wont baable to do cov. Althogh leciester is the week before.
    is the seabank the skeg to boston?
  • I had to pull out of the London marathon last week cos of a calf injury and so I hope I'll be ok to do the Humber Bridge half. I grew up in Grimsby and remember the bridge being built so it will be really good to run over it.
  • so where is the famous one ,would mr jacobs like to stand to attension
    well done mate ,that was a lot off weight to lose ,keep up the good work .

for the rest off us runners world mag page 39 bottom corner ,thats what happens when you stop running !
  • Cheers. Not sure on the picture though! That was about 8km round the Fountain's Abbey 10k, my first 10k. Wish i hadn't tucked my T-Shirt into my shorts now!!!
  • fountains abbey eh grew up at ripon spent 20 years there ,visiting again soon doing the ripon 10 miler in may
  • hang on, what mag is this???? went to fountains abbey with my school years ago, thought it was nice then, but wasnt running round it so i may have a different opinion if i do the 10k next year.