Humber Bridge Half-Marathon

Comments

• Probably best! You travelling up on the day or stopping overnight nearby?
  • Plodding Hippo...can I join you at the back?? LOL!! Went out Saturday to do 10 miles and really struggled with the heat. Dont think I've left enough time to increase my mileage.

I was over in Barton last week to see my friend and see Bon Jovi and she showed me Gravel Pit (the hill) - didnt seem too bad but now thinking what have I let myself in for. I am more dreading getting back onto the bridge after the hill!!

Will get the weather the day before...it was supposed to be sunny last Tuesday according to the forecast and it rained.

Anything like it is at the moment would be a bonus...Saturday was just too hot!!

see you all on Sunday.
  • shezza
    Please do
    my legs are shot to bits after the last 2 weeks
    Ill be lucky to do under 2.30
  • 10 miles should see you through shezza so dont worry. the event its self will help you with the last three miles. just take it steady. youll be fine.
  • Thanks DR5...looking forward to it a bit more having seen that it's probably not going to be 75+ on Sunday!! In lovely Manchester it has been dull and wet most of the evening..now that is more like it!! LOL!!

Got to set my MP3 player up with some tunes incase its lonely at the back!
  • After running the potters arf last week in temps of 28 deg celcius I will be so glad if its only 16 deg. How does this one rate next to the potters (difficultywise) ? If anyone knows ? Looking for a time of 1.45 1.50 ish.
  • Weather from BBC says weather will be predominantly light showers with sunny spells, max temp 20C, relative humidity 47%, Northerly wind of 3mph.

Doesn't sound too bad for a 13 mile run.
  • I can cope with that

i CANT cope with your pic

SHEEP
    aaaaaaaargggggggggggggggggggggggh
  • HIPPOS!!! Playing with HULA HOOPS!?! The world has all gone wrong. I'm going to hide under my covers until it all makes sense again.

After I've done a pb tomorrow though...
  • Went for a steady 6 miler this afternoon and it was fairly warm in west Hull probably about 19-20c in the sunny spells.

Sunday's forecast looks about the same so should be good race.

Have a good one.

Rob H
  • Everybody ready? Gonna be great fun.

• Good Luck to everyone !!

I will not be doing it as done a Marathon 2 weeks ago. Was hoping would be ok but just built myself back up to 6 miles at the moment.

Have fun :-)
  • Well Done every one, MUCH, MUCH Better this year with More water Stations, Alot cooler than last year.I knocked nearly 30mins off last years time which was 100% due to last years heat. See you all here next year.
    Now the problem i have is that i ran Nottingham as my next run last year but cannot attend this year due to the dates clashing with a little weekend break we have planned. So which event to run instead??????? any ideas
  • That was BRILLIANT!!! Can't wait for my next half. I think I saw PH but I'm not sure, I hung around till near the end cheering the finishers around the last bend.

I didn't reckon the hill was that bad though, ran it all apart from the water station.
  • much better than last year! mainly down to the heat. and tagged onto thse 2 ladies (yes i did follow u all the way) and ended up with 2hr 2mins which is a pb for my by more than 15 mins so im delighted. some blisters and sore feet however but think i'll recover. bit more work and i can beat my 2 hour target.

well done everyone..does neone else haet that really sharp left turn in the final bit in the carpark?
  • Yup agree with above, u turn at end threw me ! how are we to do a glorious sprint finsih !
  • I was really confused by the start. I sort of followed the crowd and hoped that some guy with a megaphone would say something. All I heard was the horn and saw the look of surpise on the bloke who was warming up on the other side of the start line. He was having a gentle trot back to the start and we all came thundering towards him.

I enjoyed the route - thank God I took my camelpack with me as I don't think I could have coped with those cups of water - can they try and get VITEL on board as a sponsor next year so they can have some bottles?

• Hello
    I am home noe
    Bliddy great event
    really well organised

(i think the water got stolen, hence no bottles)

But Loads of water stations, fab ulously encouraging marshalling and the general public were amazing
    you should be proud of yourselves!

(just scraped under 2.30 by my watch-lost it at 9 miles)

Report later

• Hello, new to the site.

Was a fantastic race and well organised . Started to worry when the sun came out at 3 miles especially after reading about last year's nightmare, but all was good in the end and the hills were worth it in the end.

Have run it 3 times in the past and this year took 9 and a half minutes off my PB, finishing in 1:38.

A wicked day and am now planning my next venture.
  • Blimey

fast time that-some pb!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome Jonathan
  • PH, I DID cheer you across the line then! I stayed till 2:45 cheering everyone so you would have been recipient to a bit of final encouragement!!
  • I felt so crap mark, that I heard nothing across the finish line

thankyou anyway

I sat down on my bag for 20 minutes, and OT came to talk to me
    i didnt think i made much sense
  • Struggled with this one, the slip road after the bridge and the 9 mile hill took thier toll, still now I've had a shower and some food you just know I'll be back next year :)
    Going back a bit, Cybor, 2 half's in our area (Sheffield) at the end of the year worth a look are Worksop Half on 29th October and Clowne Half on 26th November.
    See you in both :)
  • Good event, the cups were very very annoying though. I was aiming for under 1:45 and had it all timed perfectly until the hill which broke my spirit and I couldn't get going properly again afterwards and ended up 2m12s outside my target. The curvy bit at the end didn't bother me that much - there was no way I was going to sprint finish anyway!! I enjoyed the breeze on the bridge, they should have that at every half marathon.
  • Very Poor Event
    organisation was poor, I arrived at 9.50am and needed to do one thing, use the toilet!! Thought this should be plenty of time, however with only three toilets working just got in the toilet as the hooter went. So I had to run to catch up with the last person. First time I have run here and thought the Humber bridge would be an experience, it proved just that, as soon as we got on the bridge could not believe there was just a pavement, about all of 1 1/2 metres wide to run on. So not only could you not run past people but it was dangerous as others thought they could. First water station had about three people on it, did not think it was worth risking injury to try and get water. Going back to the bridge, OK lets just give them a pavement, however lets not even shut the pavement to the public and having them walking towards the runners!!!eh!!! And then the roads, at times I was running next to cars that had to reverse because of other oncoming traffic due to lack of marshalls/road closures. Still managed a Personal Worse o 1hr39m and will not be back again. For those who only run Humber and think it is good, it is not try Sheffield/Nottingham/Leeds, etc and see how a race should be organised. On the plus side, a medal and a t-shirt, V-Nice, would swap for organisation any day!!
  • I thought it was pretty well organised, where I was we were all pretty spread out by the time we got to the pavement bits so it wasn't an issue for me. If you're called scott, I assume you're a bloke so why didn't you use the bushes like every other bloke? Far better organised than the Kirkstall Road bit of Leeds, which really did feel dangerous.
  • I have run about 22 halves, and actually i thought it was well organised TBH

but i am not of your speed Scott-so you may have had a different expereince
  • Toilet roll is always an issue in the 'bushes'!!
  • ah-----------

THAT problem

my sympathies

for once i didnt have that issue

(but i always carry loo roll)

did you not see the other loos near the Tourist centre?