Options

Saturday 11th March 2006

Yeah it's weekend!!!

Yesterday was 10m steady, slowly gettin back again.

What? steady runs 7m / 12m
Why? Resuming training

Comments

• Options
    Blocks

You beat me.

So
    What will I be allowed to do today?

Father In Law's engagement party in Kent.
    It doesn't sound like much running is involved. And I've seen the grog stash. Nobody will legally drive home.
  • Options
    Oops sorry Blisters, I usually don't start the thread, was just logging the training and still need to read yesterday's thread, those are getting longer and longer. You go for it tomorrow!

Was involved in some round table discussion to find out how athletics is positioned in the country. Can't reveal details otherwise they will put me in prison! Nonetheless noticed for the very first time how bad it really is by just listening to some of the others.
  • Options
    No. Not me that was first! You were first. I was just boinging the thread.....I'll only ever come first in one of two cases. Either:
    - it's a handicap race and I've pulled off a blinder, or
    - nobody else in my age group turned up
  • Options
    Morning all,
    Blisters - sounds like you are pretty good in the cooking department.

Micksta - good intervals - looks like you are coming right again.

Thanks for all the replies about the long run.
    I ran by myself today - about 14 miles - it was o'kay but would rather run in a group. I think it would be ideal if you could meet up with a group - everyone knowing the route you are taking - start running, find your pace and see who you were running with and enjoy. The faster ones running with the faster ones, the slower ones running with the slower ones. Guess that is Utopia - the other way perhaps is for the faster ones to start half an hour later so you could all finish together.

Anyway...good luck to all the racers this weekend. Hope your cold isn't too bad Hilly.
  • Options
    Morning all

What: Short recovery run
    Why: longest Long run so far y'day.... and on Nights!!
    Last Hard: Errr.... that'll be yesterday!

Good luck to all racey types
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Morning...

quick post before off to work. Not back until late.

What: possibly very short recovery run after work depending on when I get back.

Why: little time, and left hip a bit sore after yesterdays 20

Good luck all racers and long runners!!
  • Options
    Morning

Good luck all racers today and all running today

What:Work in the running shop all day so no gym work for me and my membership does not include weekends that was another £10.00 a month!!

I am tired so glad off rest right I am off to poke in the eye every runner I see running today;-)

have a good day
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Back from a few days away for work in Rome. Thinking of doing something completely stupid this pm (after only 10 days back running) and hopping into a short 6km x-country race and seeing what happens.

Why: All attempts at sensible build ups fail as well as any mad plans. Total volume run seems to be the problem!

Simon
  • Options
    Morning all,

Poppy, it was the 220 that arrived at my house on Thursday, so I guess it is the newest one (tis in room with sleeping b/f so don't want to go get it - will check later). I think it is a two page response to a letter about an achilles injury, rather than an article that would be listed in the contents.

On eggs - it's not that nutritionist is worried about cals for me, it's that she wants me to eat LOTS of egg whites for protein (am veggie), and if I ate all the yolks too it would be too much fat etc. Thanks for all the advice though.

Where's Tom?

What: not sure, something easy
    Why: supposed to be a rest day but had one earlier in the week when I was sick.
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Weds only yoga

Good runnings all.
  • Options
    Morning,

I'm just going to lurk for a few weeks.

I shredded my right calf muscle during Thursday night's circuits (while running around the sports hall) and will be on the injury bench for some time.

Good runnings everyone.
  • Options
    Mel-thanks it hits shops 14th

what will you do with egg whites?

Simon-do take care and be sensible if you can;-)we don't want you injured again.

Sodahead-sorry about injury have you been to physio for treatment etc speedy recovery

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Sodahead - bad luck. Hope it doesn't take too long.

What: x-training + weights
    Last hard: Wed
    Last rest: Sunday
  • Options
    mavamava ✭✭✭
    morning all.

soda, sorry to hear that. don't stop posting, let us know how you are.

Be careful Simon!

still struggling badly with mojo. Think I know what it is, visit to doc needed for a change of prescription.

What: short cycle to (free) sports massage
    Why: being a body for a massage student

I may well attempt to run later but it depends on how my legs are. I've been getting cramp in my calf muscles so I think they may be uncomfortable later, once massage man has had a go at them!

Have a good day all.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Soda - sorry to hear that. You can still post though!

Scooby - you wouldn't be last in a triathlon with that swim - people do breast stroke and all sorts!

What: teaching an OU tutorial and then being a student at an OU tutorial then going out for dinner
    Why: rest after my mega training and before Inverness half tomorrow
    Last hard: wednesday's run 10m, swim 1.8k and bike 20m
    Last rest: today
  • Options
    Hi again,

Poppy - egg whites will go into omelettes and also have to eat them just boiled!!

Soda - ouch! Can you get some massage?

Mava - if you get cramp, try taking the middle of your top lip between finger and thumb and squeezing (quite hard). This works for cramp anywhere in the body apparently: tis an accupressure point.

Just entered an aquathon next Sunday: off to buy elastic laces and a tri suit now!!
  • Options
    morning all,

Got Dentdale Run today. "Lovely" 14.3 mile race in beautiful but hilly Cumbria dales.

Slight problem, picked up a slight quad strain in the week, not sure how or when exactly. Will see how i feel. The course course past the start after 7 miles so if it's too bad i can always pull out, but i'd rather have a DNF than a DNS.

Tomorrow's XC will very much depend on how i feel after today.

Race / Train well all
  • Options
    should read the "course goes past"
  • Options
    Morning all.

paull....have a good run at Dentdale. Have never runit but friends say it is a beautiful course and run. One day...

What 5 miles easy.

Why: 20 mile road race tomorrow Staffoed 20

good luck to all those racing today and tomorrow.

FLM getting closer!!!
  • Options
    Morning All.

Im sorry to hear about the injury Sodahead. Hope it soon clears up.

yesterday ran my out and back course. 11.3 miles.

today 10.5 miles including 10-80 hard strides and back down to 10. Equal recoveries.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • Options
    morning all

There's sleet falling outside my window,nothing much to entice me out so....

it's time for the first race in the club summer series!!

what- Cupar 5 mile road race
    why- It's summer
    last hard-Tuesday
    last rest-yesterday

Happy running folks.
  • Options
    Morning!

Weather forecast for tomorrow is looking hopeful. According to the BBC this morning it looks like the rain and snow will not hit MK until after the Half is finished - fingers crossed here.

Scoobs - sorry to hear about the recount! I generally lose count of lengths in the first 10 - that's why I now wear a lap counter watch... Even with the recount your times are still not "slow" - if you are front crawling for that distance at that pace then I reckon you'd be out of the water in the pack in a triathlon - if you want to compare then take a look at some of the triathlon results pages - quite a few have championchip splits for each discipline. Also don't forget that the jump youve done from 10 lengths to 60+ is really very impressive! Keep practicing (don't forget whatever drills you were doing to get this far - don't just do distance sessions now that you can) and the times will keep dropping too :-) And if you can achieve Stellina-like swimming bliss then that's even better!

What: 6km jog to/from Bushy Park Time Trial - Gobi wasn't trying that hard but since he helped pace MB99 and Vomit I let him have his car keys back!
    Why: Race tomorrow so just marshalling this morning. And Vomit has to be among the best forum names ever - it's great to stand there shouting Come on! Vomit! :-)
    Lyrics: nope - but if anyone was wondering who the band was from yesterday then here's the whole story.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hello,

Simon: Thinking of doing something completely stupid - Hmmmmm....take care, mate.

Sodahead: Very sorry to hear about the calf. What was the exact cause? Or do you think calf niggles have been accumulating over time?

Yesterday, had a "mixed bag" of meetings - not good. Got home and took my frustrations out for 30mins riding freakin' hard on the home exercise bike at the hardest effort setting. I sweated bucket loads. Had sore quads (vastus medialis) later.

Another anecdote about self-massage: I've felt slight shooting pain in right leg after each run for the last few days - similar to femur-nerve inflammation ie along the quads and right ITB/knee. Had a good prod around the right glute and found a tendor spot just near the top of the upper hamstrings. Then found another highly tender spot in the mid-back just to the right of spine. That created loads of tingle sensations in the right glute which soon subsided. Feel better now.

What: A quick 35mins done with the kids already. I'm in psycho-mode today so might opt for some mental training by doing double on the treadmill later.
    Why: Easy stuff (recover from sore quads) in time for tomorrow's LSR - no doubt more bike pushing but this time with two kids!!. I think I need to buy a tow-rope...
    LastHard: Thu
    LastRest: 03/03/06

Best of luck to all racers. Best wishes to all on the Bench.
  • Options
    Hi,

Just back from a nice and gentle 5.5M, getting ready for LSR tomorrow. Think you can spot all the FLMers by seeing who is taking it easy today ready to run a very long way tomorrow.

Of course, KLM still have my Garmin somewhere in the world (if they don't know, then I'm sure I don't), so I'm back to guessing pacing. Last night, I drove round tomorrow's 18-miler and made a few mental notes about mile markers so at least I'll have some kind of feel for how things are going.

Healing vibes to the sick and injured - I hope you all recover soon.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

What 5m Easy MT run in 44:22
    Why - Racing (Long Training run)at Banbury tomorrow.
    Last Hard - Tues
    Last rest - Thurs

Take care
  • Options
    soda - Hope it repairs quickly

What: Rest
    Why: Duch 20 tomorrow

Advice please: I have the Taunton Marathon in 3 weeks, target 200 mins which is 7:38 pace.

Tomorrow, at the start of my 3 week taper, I have the Duchy 20. What pace should I run it at? I've assumed that racing it, or running at MP, is silly at this stage. Was thinking of something like 7:50-8:00 pace, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Soda - ouch, take it easy and get well soon

Paul - have a great run, beautiful part of the country, but as a Yorkshireman I have to take exception to your location of Dent. It is in the heart of the Yorkshire dales, not Cumbria! Have a great run, very envious!

What: 1 hour on the trail on the bike, then 2-3 hours trail running later with MrsT. It's going to be one of those, grab the hydrapak and compass and head up that hill there, no idea where we will end up.
    Why: Little Miss T is off to a party and we have the time
    Last Hard: Sunday

Have a great weekend of running, racing and recovering
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    200min: Considering you're so close to Taunton the focus has to be on making the start line. Personally, I'd not run the 20M. However, as long as you feel comfortable and run well within your ability then I'd have thought 20M is ok. So how about at an easy conversational pace eg MP + 60sec? That'll take nearly 3hrs which is a lot of time-on-feet.

• Options
    Mava – I hope you get this thing sorted re mojo. Good luck with the doc.

Clink – sending big hugs to you – I’m not surprised you’re getting hissy. If I was in your shoes I’d be having full blown tantrums by now and throwing every single toy out of my pram making sure they hit every single runner I could find! You’ve had far more than your fair share of injury and now the lurgy too. ((clink))

Minks – so sorry to read about your calf, hope it clears up soon for you.

Stellina – ouch! But what a great post! How is foot today?

200 mins – best of luck with duchy 20!

NZC – I’m the same as prefer to do long runs in a group. We tend to stick with people of a similar pace.

When marathon training I will run with those hoping to crack 4 hours, so in theory we are all trying to maintain similar training pace. However, of course everyone has their own personal views on what pace to train at and this is where compromise sets in.

Before I stopped running I had a plan to train at about 1 / 1 ½ min slower than MP for long runs. Because I was being stubborn, I made this absolutely clear before starting out on the long training runs! My running pals decided that they thought this was a good idea. So this is what we did and we were all very good and stuck to the pace.

On previous marathon training, I have to say, we were much more all over the place and I reckon we ran too fast a lot of the time as often hit MP or sometimes had even faster bursts when on a high – no wonder I was pooped! Then of course sometimes we died for the last few miles and had to run/walk.

The thing with running in a group is that its great for company and to pass the miles, but compromises do need to happen in order to remain as a group which can then have an effect on the training. We have gone out in a larger group with people of different paces, but found this just did not work as found we either ended up getting dizzy by running in circles picking people up, or increased pace without realising it as were being pulled by the faster runners. I have done a long run of 18 ½ miles alone and I was fine, and have done many shorter than that alone too. But if I had the choice I’d go for long runs in a group as I find them more enjoyable that way. Plus we all stuff cake after! :0)

Hollywood – thanks! I think I’ll get one of those counters and I must get a swim cap too as I wonder what the chlorine is doing to my hair! Drills? Haven’t done any of those. Just got in pool and swam. Hmmmm – may investigate these then!

NRG-b – you take care too, shooting pains and psycho moods do not bode well!

Trini – your day sounds idyllic to me, looking forward to hearing how it went?

WP - Sounds like the cross training is going great. Enjoy your weekend off and you'll be raring to go come Monday!

Best of luck to all of those running and racing this weekend.

Scoobs

• Options
    SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon

Tough race this morning,it was our daughter's sports day at school. Had to line up with the other fathers for the 20 metre sprint. It was a close thing,but I think I might have been last. Daughter not to bothered as she believes I finish last in all my races. Paul (runner suffering from cystic fibrosis) was there too,he had to open the day with some motivational speaking,but did not compete in the sprint. He muttered something about torn hamstrings,Comrades down the gutter and being an endurance athlete not a sprinter.

What: 10 miles at 4:30 this morning
    Why: Hesitant to do more with a 50K race a week away.
    Last hard: 20 meter sprint this morning

Good luck to all the racers.

Have a good one!