Pain on top of foot

I have just started to take my running a bit more seriously, and have recently done two half-marathons. Since the first one I have had a pain on the top of my left foot. If I flex my toes up the pain increases. It has come and gone over the last two weeks, and then I did the second 1/2m (yesterday, Hastings, great event). My foot hurt but I kept going stubbornly. I know I need to see my doctor, but does anyone have any idea what I may have done?

Comments

• I have v. similar injury and have no idea, but I am seeing physio tonight and will let you know what he says.
  • i have the same started two weeks ago and am seeing physio i havent been able to run at all to painfull wondering if i should defer!!
  • good luck, both of you! i'm seeing the doc in a couple of days and will post the outcome here.
  • good luck to you both as well im seeing pysio today so i will see what she says as there is no sign of it getting any better
  • Charlie, hi - apparently a few of the leg and foot muscles my left side (dominant as I'm left handed) are straining because I do not eat enough protein!

I need to:
    -stay off the running till Friday at least
    - do the strengthening exercises prescribed
    - ice three times/twice a day for 30 min
    -make a note of the protein consumed with the idea of increasing them

Apparently if I recover, eat enough protein and go back to running sensibly I should be ok.

Look forward to hear what other physios/ doctors say.
  • Susan - hi too. What did you pysio said?
  • i have a similar problem, and it also hurts when I flex my toe upwards. Seeing a physio tomorrow.
  • Hi to both of you. the physio thought mine was coming on well although still have some pain. she said also the arches of my foot were very high and rolled over which when i put my foot down this could be something to do with the pain, she has taped this up for a couple of days and said to try and run on thursday, which iam going to do but she said if the pain is bad stop. so see how i get on thursday will let you know and back to her friday.
  • Hi Susan, thanks for that. I'll let you know what my physio says (she's a marathon runner so I'm hoping for good advice!)
  • I had this last year and it stopped me doing the london marathon. As far as im aware i did it running down a hill, as it pulled all the muscles on the top of my foot. Another common reason may be that your laces are too tight.
  • hi quimono, the pysio did mention that it could have been caused doing the hill runs and on that day the waether was awfull and running into winds up and down so maybe you are right will have to make a decision on friday if im going to defer. will try and run thursday. will let you all know
  • I haven't done hills for weeks - I was only out for a 7 mile jog when it happened to me!
  • WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO LUCY ARE YOU STILL RUNNING AT THE MOMENT! I HAVENT RUN FOR 3 WEEKS
  • I last ran saturday but stopped because it hurt. I went to the gym yesterday for a cycle and swim and will do the same thursday. My foot seems much better so I am hoping the physio will say I am ok to carry on running and don't have to drop out of the marathon. I'll let you know!
  • Saw the doc. I have inflamed the tendons that run along the top of the toes into the main bit of the foot. They are held in place in a compartment and so as they are swolen it hurts. Treatment: ibruprofen, and no running for a week or so.

Fortunately he did not think I have a March fracture, which I read about on here somewhere. This is basically a stress fracture and highly undesirable.
  • hi charlie,
    are you going to defer then !! as my physio said you cant run with a stress fracture. i think im going to defer as tried running yesterday and i still have pain,going to physio today so will let you know how i get on.
  • You sufferers have my sympathy. I had a similar sounding problem a few month ago. It was extensor tendonitis though at the time I was worried it could have been a navicular stress fracture.

I found this worked for me: a mixture of ibuprofen and rest then reducing mileage, re-lacing shoes to avoid the laces crossing the affected area, avoiding hills and icing after a run.

• Susan - yep I am going to hold off running for a few days at least. Even after a couple of doses of ibuprofen (and several days of not running) it is now beginning to feel much better.

Dai - thanks for the reminder about laces. I saw something in a magazine - prob RW - about different ways of lacing shoes, so will look into it. Actually now you mention it in the 1/2M which started this I did wonder if I had my laces too tight, and also I was wearing new Saucony something-or-others which are a bit loose around the toe area, and which I may have therefore tightened up too much higher up my foot.

Anyway: I foresee a weekend of rest (though I will get out climbing in the morning), ibuprofen, and a few beers ...
  • Dai Lactic, thank you for the tips,

I live in hilly Kent so avoiding hills it's going to be hard.

I am seeing physio again today and hopefully will resume running from Saturday.

Hope everyone is getting better
  • Thanks for the tips everyone, esp about the laces. I've been to the physio and I have inflamed tendons similar to what Charlie described (officially tendonitis). Physio has been doing ultrasound and given me some exercises including sitting on my heels to stretch the tendon! She said ice it and use that ibuleve gel that you put directly onto the area and rest as much as I can. I did Bath half marathon yesterday and it didn't hurt at all during the race, but was painful again this morning so back to the physio for more ultrasound!
  • i am going to try and run today possibly 6 miles see how i get on then if i have no pain it will be great if the pain starts then iam going to defer as i havent run now for 3.5 weeks which is lon. good on you lucy doing the half marathon yours sounds like its getting back to normal.
  • Hi Susan, sorry to hear you may have to defer. Has your physio actually given you a diagnosis?
  • the ligaments on the top of my foot not by the toes but further up are strained or torn and the pain is also going down by my ankle so i have been havong ultra sound and treatment twice a week. so today i will run and see and then i go back to her tuesday and see what she suggest she hasnt mentioned this ice thing or protein , just resting it and trying to keep fitness level up by going to the gym
  • Lucy - so the physio said rest ... and you did a half-marathon! Well, I can't blame you; I woke up Saturday morning, couldn't resist going out for a run ... and put myself back a few days. No self-control ...
  • why do we do this to ourselves. thats what i did 3 weeks ago rested it for a couple of weeks ran on it and set myself back.
  • err yes...perhaps I shouldn't have! but I missed the long run the week before and it felt fine on saturday, so i thought I would risk it. It was kinda make or break and I guess I was lucky, unlike Susan. The physio just said rest in between runs, so no more Saturdays wandering round the shops for me...
  • well i have just come back from running 6 miles in a good time and have no pain and feel great and full of energy!!! yipee so may not defer now seeing that i havent run for so long i thought i would struggle. do you think i will get there as i have only run up to the 15 miles stage.
  • That's great news. Fingers crossed you stay injury free. All the stuff I've read say that if you can comfortably run 15 miles you should be ok to do the marathon - so go for it!
  • will try again wednesday and maybe do a long run friday to see how i get on. what is the lonest you have run lucy and in what time are you heading for and the rest of you what stages are you all up to
  • I did 19 two weeks ago, then hurt my foot two days later. Since then I've only run 3 times including Bath half yesterday. I was going for 4 hours or less, but just want to get to the start line and be able finish now!