Polymyalgia Rheumatica

I suffer from PMR, a condition that causes acute pain mainly in the shoulders, back, and upper legs. It can be effectively controlled by taking a steroid called prednisolone. One can run but there is a tendency to put on weight.
I would be very interested to hear from anyone with this condition and how they may be coping generally and with running. Is prednisolone a banned substance!!

Comments

• er I think not banned but restricted so that one would have to notify one's sports governong body and provide medical evidence for the condition

hope you get some response from fellow sufferers/runners
  • Thanks Big AL. It's a bit academic at the moment as I hobble through the mornings, 'racing' not being possible. Of course I'm planning a comeback and your comments add to the help I need to achieve this one day. Any other thoughts, perhaps from running medical professionals, would be most welcome.
  • I have been diagnoised with PMR and have started on prednisolone. This has helped the pain in my hips but still suffering with neck and shoulders. I'm not sure if I will beable to still run marathons/ ultras. Does anyone have this and still run distances ?

• I noticed that all these posts are quite dated now. I was diagnosed with PMR just over a year ago, stopped me running for a month or so then the steroids were like a wonder drug getting my mobility back. Park Runs have been so important getting me back running. Just completed the Great North Run, no great pace but I can jog it (2:27)
  • Hi Mike, I currently awaiting a blood test, but have all the symptoms so likely i have pmr. I have had symptoms for 3 months, but carried on running & did a half & 10k thinking it was just overuse stiffness. It must be physiological, but i have felt worst since i went to the Dr & he told me about PMR! I was very competitive and was winning age group medals in February, & I'm finding not being able to run really hard especially with the prospect of taking steroids & taking years to get my fitness back, so some light at the end of the tunnel would be great to cheer me up - i need to get back up there asap or i will go mad! I would very much like to get to know how your running is going?