Maidstone Half Marathon & 10K

2»

Comments

• Guys, sry to be negative here but in all years of racing in Kent and South East I have never complained and am very appreciative of organisors and helpers. I was in 4th and feeling good when at 9.5m positions 2 to about 8th went off course due to a stray arrow marker and lack of marshall. Indeed before that we had veered wrong a few times, no markers/marshalls or marshall merely standing there with arms crossed. To be honest you pay your tenner and expect to be well directed. Myself and the other guys were far from happy.
  • Allen

That's one disadvantage of being far too quick!!! I just follow the hoardes in front of me.

Anyway, where did you adventually end up and what was your time?

Tim
  • pass...we jogged back in about 1hr35 after being on for 75/76 mins...its just very fustrating u know.....legs sore ran about 16m instead of 13m !!
  • Allen

Sorry to hear. I didn't realise it had completely ruined your race. Did you mention it to the organisers?

Tim
  • Allen,

That's awful!!!

I agree that the marshalling was a bit thin on the ground - especially from the point of view of anyone taken ill on route. Didn't affect me though as I was following the masses (1hr 47min). The traffic was a bit of a challenge at times too. Fortunately most drivers were very good about the hold-ups.
  • Hi all, well done to all of you yesterday, an especially those of you who were dedicted (mad) enough to do both races. And a special congratulations to my friend Clare who did absolutely fantastic in the 10k (and she's too modest to admit it). When I finished it yesterday I thought never, ever again as I hate hills and avoid them like the plague. Then when I got home and I thought, no I shall not be defeated by the buggars and shall try it again next year and that will get me doing some hills (only about a fortnight before knowing me).
  • Nice to meet you all yesterday.

If anyone ever hears me say I'm doing 2 races back to back, please stop me...
    Seriously though, I did enjoy yesterdays races, even with the hills (sorry Caz) and I can boast I set a new PW 10k time (well I had run a 1/2 marathon before).
  • Well done Jason,

Sorry I didn't hang around to see you finish. I was looking forward to getting home and putting ice on my shin !. I'm pleased to say that I am saving my energy & legs and am not running now until Sundays marathon.

Well done everyone else. Paul....you looked far too fresh after 19 miles, very impressive !

NeilB, I was looking out for 236 but didn't see you.

Probably won't race locally until Barns Green on 27th October. See you soon.
  • Hi All

Nice to see Scotty H for the 1st time and Jason , Caz and Snoop.
    Yes hills were a barrier but were good practice as NY apparantely has a few hills near the end of the course.
    Both runs went according to plan didnt set any PB's or PW's but as mentioned was perfect training for NY ( hoping to go sub 4hr )
    Snoop , Jason c u @ Windsor
    Caz will probably c u @ Kingston or the Cabbage Patch run ;-)
  • Having ran the Maidstone half and 10k many times in the past (and once both), this year I opted for a new event. The Goose Fair 10 mile held at Challock which is off junction 8 of the M20. (ie not far from Maidstone). The race was a challenging out and back route on hard, (although in places stony) traffic free roads through the woods and well marshalled. Entrance to the race included free entry to the fair. If you want something different next year I would thoroughly recommend this one.
  • I ran the 10K on Sunday for the first time and thought it was quite a good 'challenging' run (especially between 5K and 8K !). Hope to do the half marathon next year (hopefully only 13.1m not 16m !)

I couldn't run the Tun Wells 10K as i was on hols, but i thought that might be a tough one, as i used live round that area. Does anyone know if there going to make it an annual event ?, or was it just a one off for the jubilee.

I've also entered the Wilmington 10K next month, anyone got any info / tips on that one. I hear it is fairly undulating !

Gareth.
  • Scotty

Finished in 1hr57, which isn't that bad considering I'd only trained for last 5 weeks and hadn't run for 5 years prior to that. I hope to keep it up now though.

Like Gareth, I'm having a crack at the Wilmington 10K next.

Which club's organising the Barns Green race? I couldn't see it listed in the race diary.

Regards
    Nick
  • I fancy the Deal 5, they had leaflets on it in the centre on Sunday, but time I went to pick on up they'd run out. Did anyone pick one up?
  • Caz

Didn't see Deal 5 but got these...

Dover Mercury Half (16.02.03)
    Sittingbourne Stiders 10m and 2k fun (06.10.02)
    Wilmington 10k and 2k off road (27.10.02)
    Thanet Road Runners Quicksand 15m (13.10.02)

Let me know if you want any more info.

K
  • Nick,

Well done! That's an excellent level of fitness to reach in such a short time. I'm still suffering with sore shin and knee, still find it hard to believe that I'm expecting to do a marathon this weekend (ouch!)

Unfortunately Barns Green clashes with Wilmington on the 27th October. If I can work some magic you should get to the site by clicking here : Barns Green

I will wait and see how I feel next week before deciding on whether or not to do the Barns Green Half.

See you soon

Scotty

• Kermie, cheers any of them flat?
  • Gareth - re Wilmington, it has got a long hill at the start, it's broadly an uphill first 5k and a downhill second 5k if I remember correctly. That said, a good few years back, I ran what was then a PB at Wilmington by easing off slightly for the long uphill and then really picking up the pace at the top of the hill for the second 5k. Don't know if the course is still the same, but it's a good race if you can handle the hills. I don't think the hills are any worse than Maidstone though.
    Good luck with it.
  • Caz

I have entered the Deal 5 - I have been promised that it is flat!
  • When is the Deal 5? - I once ran a 10k at Deal and that was very fast and flat.
  • Deal 5 is on Sunday 3 November.
  • Fiona, how can I get an entry form? I can't see one on the website for Deal tri?
  • Caz

Dover Mercury Half has 'several testing hills' according to their website

Sittingbourne 10m has just one hill at the start, then easy

and all I can find on the Thanet Quicksand 15 is that it's multi terrain with a 4hr time limit due to tides!!!! (Take a rubber ring just in case)

K
  • Re Sittingbourne 10m. Be careful about that 'one hill'. Its very steep!
  • Caz

Go to the deal tri website and then go to deal tri races. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and the deal 5 is listed. There is a button which says "download form" - this is in word format.

I looked everywhere on the site for ages before I found this.

Must need new glasses!

• Thanks Santa for the info. I'll make sure i don't carried away in the first few kilometres. I think i'll run a nice fast flat 10K after that one - Brighton springs to mind on 17/11. !

Gareth.
  • Folks,

Maidstone Harriers Half and 10k results now posted on club's site...

http://www.maidstoneharriers.co.uk/
  • Nice touch Romford Runner having your official running club listed as UFRC in the results section - or is this just normal forumite practice ?. by the way good run Tim R.