Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ yes I heartily agree, the the width is a big factor when selecting running shoes.
  • Options
    Ceal the shoes are definitely big enough. I don't think I'm cramping my toes but I will keep an eye on that!
  • Options
    Some would say it does already JJ ;o)
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    On the more serious note of running style. If I ever have a pain free moment in a race I observe the style of different runners, and it is just amazing how different we all our. Some look lovely and flowing and others are all over the place, legs/arms/head etc. Some lift their feet off the road and others shuffle. Apart from the VERY fast runners, the style does not seem to affect the speed, One sees some very weird styles running very fast.

Another observation is more auditory, the different noises people make with their noisy breathing, snorting, grunting, gasping, wheezing and many other undescribable noises.

Of course I run silently and so smoothly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think not!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I suspect that I would rather not know what I look like ceal. If any of you see me please don't shatter my illusions.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ, I too would rather run more upright, and do correct it when I think about it. As I get tired in a run I lean forward from the waist, as many others do too. But that is not good, I think I would not consider that to be a natural running style, just tiredness or laziness!!!!! God knows what my legs do, they are all over the place, in my opinion.

The exagerated arm action, you talk about, would account for the aching shoulders you experienced after the last FLM.
  • Options
    So, Am I the only one on this thread that runs with a perfect, smooth , lovely to watch tecnique?????

Caught you again!

Peeps, I need some advice. I can run at 1/2M pace for 12k as I have been doing it lately. The problem will arise when I have to run a full 1/2M at that pace. How do I know if I can do it???
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    At this very minute Johnny is sitting/lying on the couch having his knee assessed. I do hope it is good news. We are thinking of you JJ, and want you to report back asap.
  • Options
    JJ, any news on the knee front?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud, there have been so many times when you and I post at exactly the same time.

I had been wondering how your run had gone.

You will just have to trust JJ and myself when we tell you that you WILL be able to do the whole distance at the pace that you achieved for 12k this afternoon. For a start you ran 22k or something very similar only a few days ago and as easy as you found it, your legs will still be a little tired from the run.

Just believe in yourself.

I have the same problems, tomorrow, I have to run for 50 mins alternating half marathon pace with easy. What exactly is my half marathon pace, I have no idea any more, nor will I until I run my race in just over 2 weeks time. When I expect I will find that it is exactly the same as it was in May!!, because one way or another I have not concentrated fully on half m training. I have had a couple of injuries out and a lot of shorter distance racing. But who knows.

But as we have both said before, the tapering, the event, the commerarderie, the adrenaline will wizz you along faster than you can imagine right now. Anyway, you have 5 or 6 weeks until your race don't you? I may have remembered the date wrongly.

I have no doubt JJ will tell you again much the same thing.

TRUST in yourself.
  • Options
    Hi peeps.
    Spud there's no way you ain't gonna get round, and fast, so long as you start sensibly and build up speed steadily through the whole 13 miles. Relax girl, enjoy the training, avoid injury by not overdoing it and look forward to surprising us all with your time.

Dr.Death says I've got damaged cartilage on the left side of right knee. Could be structural misalignment after a lifetime of knee-wrecking sport or the knee didn't like uphill and downhill sprints after 3 x 800m fast intervals. Anyway, ultrasound and some other electric buzzing thingy. Actually feels a bit better. No training for another week. More treatment on Monday.
    Bugger it. Targets for this winter are unchanged.
    JJ
  • Options
    It's an ill wind. I can go to the pub for rehydration without even having run.
    Off now. Back later.
    JJ
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ, that is good news. I had a similar problem about 2 1/2 years ago and the same treatment, ultrasound and some buzzing bits and pieces and a few quads exercises and it was fine in no time at all. But I have to say I mostly do my sprints on a treadmill, much kinder to the legs/joints. You will be running fine and fast for your winter programme, I know it.----- Ce xx (*_*}
  • Options
    Ceal, thank you very mych for your words.

JJ, thank you for the encouragement. So sorry to hear about the knee. X
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    A good evening of athletics again. What about those muscles on Kelli White's legs!

I must say I find it very difficult, when watching the men, not to play spot the 'lunch-box'! Naughty aren't I!!

'Night, yet again, don't the days wizz by?
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Ceal

Roman sebrale
  • Options
    Thank you nice peeps. It's just a bloody nuisance but I'm not ill so that's fine.
    PBs planned for pre-Xmas will now take place after Xmas.

Spud.
    I shall be able to massage my own knee but I don't think it'll be quite the same.
    JJ
  • Options
    Oh dear! Looks like I shall have to get the lycra shorts out. Might be more in the running so to speak.
    JJ
  • Options
    Ta Benz. That's a big help. Hope I damage the other one now.
    JJ
  • Options
    oh no
    Do NOT tempt fate!!!!!!!!!

you was running too well
    its a b--r!
  • Options
    I think the diagnosis is fairly easy. I needed to make a slower transmission to the level of speedwork that I was doing. I forget I ain't young any more.
    JJ
  • Options
    Or even 'transition'.

London social tomorrow evening so that'll anaesthetise it.
    JJ
  • Options
    i wish i could even dream of your speed and achievements johnny
    Enjoy the social
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Am I first one up? NO, I expect Hippo is out pounding as I speak. I am about to go out, it look cool, no rain here yet.
  • Options
    No she isnt
    No HTT for me
    Off to work now