Over 60s training.

Comments

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    I have just got back from my long run, about 13.6 miles in 1:59.felt hard, legs a little heavy, head wind again, but not too wet. I get the feeling that my legs have set on one pace for longer runs and it is going to be difficult to train them to speed up. I run a very steady pace from start to finish.
  • 'evening all.

P. I thought you wrote 'internet baking'. I was expecting a piece of cake.

Ceal.
    The Sevenoaks 7 was very tough. It was totally off-road, in parkland around a stately gnome. Very hilly, long open stretches with strong headwinds and mostly grass tracks with a couple of severe grass drops like in x/c. Good event nonetheless; I felt very strong and better than at any time since FLM. Met lots of friendly Forumites and retired to a local afterwards for a couple of pints.
    Time for the 7 miles was 57mins. Believe it or not this was good. I was only 3 or 4 mins. behind a number of young guys that I know who would normally take 6 or 7 minutes out of me over 10k.

That was an impressive run of your own. Mopst people would kill for that in a 1/2m race. Too many fast women round here. I can't cope :-))
    JJ

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    B-----y FANTASTIC, well done, very very impressive. Your legs showed them what you are capable of despite the rough terrain. Sock it to them kid. Look forward to hearing more tomorrow. Did the over 60's runner take part who usually does rather a fast time?
  • Really interesting, inspiring reading....does anyone know why there isn't by now a separate topic for mature runners, especially given all the response here and in "General"?
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I need to pick your brains/the advice section. Impy's not here, Pussy is playing ba ba black sheep and Spud is not around (I am worried about her).
    I have to rearrange my training schedule, taking account of what you have said to Billow, re recovery etc. As you know very soon I start a 5 week period of 5 mile/10k races. First one is 3rd June and the last one is 8th July (I think there is one week when there is no race). Then my next important race is 14th September, which is a half marathon, therefore, there is 9 weeks to prepare for this. I feel that maybe it would be a bit mad to continue with my 13 mile run each week and race a 10k. each week, what do you think? Each of the races are mid week on a Tuesday evening. I therefore propose the following training plan.

Tuesday race 5 mile/10k
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday 40 minute recovery
    Friday 90 minutes easish
    Saturday rest
    Sunday 60 minutes steady
    Monday rest

That plan does not feel quite right, suggestions please, anybody out there , please join in.

I am fairly reluctant to let go of my weekly 13 mile run. However, looking at it sensibly maybe I would benefit from the rest. I just hope that 9 weeks is enough time to pick up the distance to 15 miles again before my next half. I do want to run a good race then. I do not want to go through building up the distance again and finding that hard to do. I hope that I have made sense.

I have had problems gettting into RW forum today, I received the messages via e-mail, but it would not open up.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Billow
    Welcome to this thread, please join in with us won't you. We love to hear other people's happenings and share our experiences with all who are out there. We're a bit thin on the ground not that we are complaining at all.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    How are you feeling today? Legs that is. Although it was hilly maybe the softer ground may have been kinder to your body.

I had problems submitting the last posting, so obviously this site is not having a very stable day, well not from my end.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    You have given me food for thought. I like the alternate Friday 13 mile runs idea. So will incorporate that. Yes I was going to run the races as fast as I can right from the start and take it from there! The shorter race times do not really matter BUT of course, like you, being competitive, it always matters.
  • hi Peeps,

Sorry I haven't been in touch. I haven't been able to run so it is painful to read about training and racing. I had a 1/2M scheduled for June but I will have to let it go.

Ceal, I don't think you have to stop doing your 13M running. It is good for your training. Have you thought about doing some fast strides maybe during one of your weekly runs?

Have a great day!
  • sorry Ceal, I forgot to say that I agree with JJ about the alternating your 13M runs.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Anna
    So sorry to hear it is too painful for you to run. Thanks for your advice, it is always valuable to get back up advice from those who know.
    Have you given thought to having a chat with Shirley on the number I gave you. My knee was particularly sore yesterday after my long run for whatever reason and I wore my wrap for 16 hours and the improvment is tremdous. I think the fact that you can borrow a wrap for a week or so to see if it gets any better is such a help. There is no obligation to buy especially if you don't notice any improvement.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    A good result, and you were in the top half of the field.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    How often does anyone change their running shoes? Do you personally go by how long you have had them, or how many miles you have run in them or how much tread one has left or by the lack of firmness left in the cushioning or perhaps when aches and pains and possible small injuries start to occurr? I would be interested to know anybodies opinion.
  • Hi Peeps,

It is good to be back.

Ceal, I talked to Shirley on Friday and she is sending me all the details about the wrap.

I change my shoes at about 500 miles or earlier if I find the the soles are too worn out or the shape of the shoe has changed.

JJ, as always a great race result. Ah, and the kiss is making feel better already!

take care Peeps!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud
    I am glad that JJ's kiss is making you feel better, I am jealous, however, I will not try and get injuired in order to get a kiss or two or three!!!

Thanks, both of you for your experiences with running shoes. You are right JJ it is a psycological matter, I have probably done about 500 miles in mine since the begining of Feb. The wear on the soles do not look too bad at all, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I need new ones. But I was feeling guilty because the shoes themselves looked OK.
    JJ are the Asics 2080 lighter then your training shoe?
    I think that it is very important for us to be aware of our shoes and when they need replacing.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Where do I find the details of organisation to send the shoes to a 3rd world country? This needs to be an easy operation, although I do approve of the idea in principal very much.
  • What a friendly group! I bought two pairs of Asics 2070s, which were the previous edition of the 2080 and are light and stable. One pair is for everyday use because they help my runner's knee problem even for all day standing and walking. Now I am looking for racing shoes (low heels) because I am changing over the the Gordon Pirie technique because of the knees.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Billow
    How does one change one's technique at this more mature age? I understand that if one has knee problems one will virtually do anything to be able to run. But I would have thought it quite difficult to change one's gait. However, do tell us more please.
  • Ceal
    I train in Asics Gel Kayanos which have a lot of support and cushioning and as a result are slightly heavier than the 2080. Again, the psychology of have a racing shoe which feels lighter is important. I certainly can't wear racing flats that have little in the way of cushioning or support.
    However, I may need desparate measures if I am to get down from 47 to sub-45 mins for 10k during next autumn.

I must go eat. I've only just got in from work.
    JJ
  • Btw Ceal I can't do too many xx's in one day. I might get myself a reputation as a serial philanderer.

On the other hand it might be worth trying 'cos no-one would believe me at my age.
    All reputations intact q.e.d.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    We wouldn't want you to get a reputation! Well I don't think so anyway!
    Well, maybe, it would be worth a try!

Thanks for the info on the shoes. I will try Asics Gel Kayanos on when I next buy, which will be any day now.
  • Ceal
    Try the 2080 as well. It's an outstanding shoe. Comes in two width fittings as well.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    OK, I am off and out tonight now, watching the second part of a serial on TV, which I know you are not watching.
  • Ceal. Try your local authority. They should be able to give guidance. Do you know where your main recycling point is (where you take your empties!). They frequently have a shoe container there. Tie them together first!
    JJ
  • Hi Ceal, my running career has been pretty uneven. I trained slowly and crashingly downhill on our half-marathon route 16 months ago and got runner's knee badly. Won't go into the saga of trying all cures for the next year, but worked up to an hour running with pain and walking breaks. THEN on the injuries forum I read about the Pirie techinque (www.gordonpirie.com) and so you can see my motivation was keen, and it has - dare I even say - seemed to help a lot. Have gone up to 70 minutes now and the pain I am having is the calf muscle, not the knee. This is because the calf muscle gets used a lot more if you have a forefoot strike. There is a good discussion of this and other people's experiences on the Injury site. Go back to 07/05/03 and look for "Ongoing Injury Woes". I don't think age comes into changing technique, but you do have to be willing to go back and start again to a certain extent. By the way, the secretary of my club (women runners) started running 12 years ago at 52, has been an even and dedicated runner, is now about 64 and running very, very near personal bests. How is that for encouragement!