Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    JJ. I concur about your comments. Hope you found your equilibrium in the garden. Many find garden work relaxing.
    Spud. Ceal will be back tomorrow,she is having a weekend break somewhere. Yes JJ certainly has a way with words so if he authors a book I'll buy it :-)
    Somehow didn't feel up to it today, but ran a pretty steady four and half miles or so. Just in time before the downpours started.
    Impey.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud
    Thanks for the message re General. I would never have found it if you had not told me. I hope the knee is behaving itself still, let us know.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi Impy
    Welcome back, also I forgot to say a week ago or so, I am pleased that Margaret looked after your needs re a running photo!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I hope the wedding went well, and that you enjoyed it.
    Re your book, yes I am sure you will produce a collections of relevant tips and hints for the over 60's. Cutting out all the C--p.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Well I have two things to say now, one good and one not so good. I have been brought down to earth by some news that the course the other night was measured incorrectly. It was apparently 4.75 miles long not 5. Well that would explain the good time. What a disappointment, thought not the end of the world. My time now for that race had it been 5 miles would probably equate to 38.35 mins. It makes quite a difference that extra quarter of a mile. Hey Ho.

The better news is that it would appear I have won a prize at that event. Thanks to Spud, she made me aware of a message for me on General, which I have picked up. I am not sure what catagory the prize is for. There was certainly not a prize shown on the intended prize winners list, which I looked at before the race. I will keep you posted on that one.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Billow
    I am pleased to hear that Malta is encouraging their more mature runners. That is really good news.
  • Options
    Hey, Superspud. How's your injury probs?
    JJ
  • Options
    Ceal.....it was still run at a cracking pace! Be interesting to see what prize is.
    You mentioned about Stewart going in for that race, did he run in it?
    BTW I told Spud you'd be back tomorrow,sorry I misinformed :-)
    Impy
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I thought of you at the Chelsea Flower Show. All those lovely flowers. It was the first time we had visited the show. I really enjoyed it.

I have had a 65 minute hilly run whilst we were away. My next race is very hilly including a steep climb. Should be fun!!!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Impy
    Thanks, Stewart ran a good race too, he finished in 40.43 mins. That was a PB too
  • Options
    Hello Ceal.
    Glad you enjoyed Chelsea. I go every other year otherwise it all gets a bit familiar. It's an 'off' year this year.

Much as most of us dislike hills there's a certain satisfaction in running a tough course and if you have the ability to push yourself hard it's usually easier to do well. Not everyone has that ability - fortunately!
    JJ

p.s. the spellhacker's working hard tonight. I had to correct about every third word in that post. :-))
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    Your postttttt or mine? When I am tired I transpose letters like eb for be and much worse!
  • Options
    mI derekcank. I'm developing the same problem.
    JJ
  • Options
    Hi, ceal, what does your name mean? If there were no encouragment by means of clubs, etc, I would be ploddingly jogging for fitness and bored stiff by it. I had a funny dream the night before last about running fanaticism. I stayed up to watch the Eurovision and we had an early run the next morning, and I was tired and with a cold waiting to pounce. When I should have been waking up for the run, I dreamed that in rushing to start the long distance run I ran over a dog (technicolour blood on a dog that looked like our dear dog) and then backed into a woman who then lay beaurifuly spread out on the on the tarmac, unconscious. Grudgingly spurred by conscience I went to her home to report what had happened, and inside were some frankenstein-type men, who said not to worry, it happens to her all the time. Greatly relieved that I could get to my run without bothering with corpses, inquests and police, I started running - only to realize that I had bare feet and would have to go back for shoes. By then I was half awake and getting the point of this horrifyingly politically incorrect dream and went back to sleep and skipped the run with no qualms. Excuse this long embroidery, but it was a black humour morality play.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Billow
    Sounds like a nightmare!!! My name Ceal actually was my nickname at school and I am still called it by my old friends. I went to a boarding school. Where does your name come from?
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud
    I was very impressed that you were once a hurdler. One has to have just such flexability for such a sport. What age did you do hurdling and how competitively? I saw Sally Gunnell about 18 months ago, she was in the same resort on holiday. (mountains) I was very surprised as to how petit she was, not very tall either. She was a very pleasant person to speak to.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    G'day everybody,

I have just returned from my long run of about 13.6 miles. I decided to run the first lap as fast as I could knowing that I would still have to run a second lap. First lap time 55 mins (pb by 3 minutes) and the 2nd lap time 60 mins. Total of 1 hr 55 mins. That is the fastest I have run that circuit by about 3/4 minutes. I always get short of breath after wiping my nose and taking on fluids. I suppose that must be good anorobic work.
    I have picked up an injury this am not sure yet what is causing it. I limped home over the last 2 miles. Thought it was the tendons around my ankle, however, after giving everywhere a good masage from the knee downwards, it may well be my calf muscle. I am very aware that I must be careful. I have never had a problem with my calf before. I am now going to ice it and hope that it repairs quickly. New shoes are definately on the immediate agenda. I have not had time to go out and buy any yet.

It would appear that the dud course the other pm was short before the 1st mile and then again (because it was a 2 lap course) between 3 and 4 miles. I do not seem to be having much luck with my courses recently!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Calf sore but I think that was a compensation injury from a soft tissue injury around the ankle. The soft tissue around ankle quite sore but working on it.
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Billow
    I forgot to say congrats on winning the euro vision contest. We got nil points I believe, I did not watch it. I expect no votes was from the lack of popularity from the Gulf War
  • Options
    Ceal
    Our song was truly dreadful!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    S Hippo
    Obviously!!!!!! What did Terry Wogan have to say about it?!!!
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    Sorry I think that I have lowered the tone of our thread with talk of the Eurovision Contest!!
  • Options
    He said they were good!
    he didnt SOUND that drunk:))
  • Options
    shhhhhhhhh
    ceal, lets get off this page, then he wont know:))
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    now then
    ceal about the training--------
  • Options
    do you do Speedwork?