• Good morning

PTP2 Day 27

10.06M; 2:00:57; 12:01/M; hr142; m156; 'easy', target hr140
    12:38 hr138 m144
    12:21 hr141 m145
    12:31 hr140 m145
    12:31 hr140 m145
    11:44 hr141 m147 had a bit of trouble keeping HR up
    12:01 hr145 m149 raised HR target to 144; still within programme's parameters
    11:57 hr144 m148
    11:41 hr144 m149
    11:45 hr144 m149
    11:01 hr148 m156 pushed it a bit

Another kind of experiment: kept HR for first half to lower end of 'easy' as prescribed but decided early on to raise it to the higher end from half distance. That happened to follow the need to push harder in mile 5 just to keep HR from falling to 134. The last mile was a last minute whim slightly outwith the programme prescription. Without knowing it I was 12sec over 2hr for the 10M, but 1:46 over 1hr for the 5M. Which just goes to show that it is possible in the latter stages to make up time lost in the early part. Actually I wasn't trying to prove anything, I was just enjoying myself and it was still 'comfortable'; TS please note.

al

• Impey, I try to remember to have some dry clothes and a towel in the car if I think the weather may deteriorate, but have been caught out like you - entertaining mental image of you though!

I spotted some lovely fast running from Tracey & Pammie. It does keep being proved that training works!

sharkie, I have trouble picking my feet up over debris on the trails, never mind mini hurdles!

Is Fleet Half this week-end as well as Hastings? If so, good luck to Empty, as well as JJ and Mr. Sharkie. Sounds as though Mr. S may be preparing more wisely than JJ!

Will TS have resisted the tempation to head out again?

I imagine running in Venice may be quite taxing, up and over all the bridges.

7 miles with the club last night - felt hard again, but it was a very undulating route.

Split Summary
    ====
    Lap 1 - 1 miles - 10:06 - 144bpm avge  - 170bpm max
    Lap 2 - 1 miles - 09:32 - 139bpm avge  - 152bpm max
    Lap 3 - 1 miles - 10:18 - 141bpm avge  - 150bpm max
    Lap 4 - 1 miles - 10:12 - 146bpm avge  - 158bpm max
    Lap 5 - 1 miles - 09:27 - 148bpm avge  - 159bpm max
    Lap 6 - 1 miles - 10:31 - 153bpm avge  - 163bpm max - uphill just about the whole mile
    Lap 7 - 1 miles - 10:42 - 140bpm avge  - 157bpm max - flatter, but just plain wore out!

• Great run, aws, and even better that it was comfortable. I have been admirring the photos of your new grandson - he reminds me quite a lot of my first, Isaac, with his dark hair and dainty nose.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭

Diana
    that last but one mile looked a bit of a bummer. Good training from you again. All bodes well for your pending 10k.

aws
    a remarkable steady HR throughout the whole of the 10 miles, and when you pushed a little harder to raise the HR the pace followed suit which is good to see.

My recovery run is done and dusted. Rather a grey day today with a little cool wind. I ran it by recovery HR rather than recovery pace. 

I ran an undulating 4 miles  in 35 mins, av pace 8.45, av HR 117, MHR 125

9.01, av HR 110, MHR 117
    8.51, av HR 116, MHR 125
    8.32, av HR 116, MHR 120
    8.36, av HR 116, MHR 118    

The finished with 2 x 20 sec high knees and 2 x 20 sec  bounding with jog recoveries. I should have done these on Monday, but I forgot!

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Morning all. Lots to catch up with again!

JJ - You avoided a nasty injury from the sounds of it. Pleased you're OK.

Pammie - Very good 5-miler from you there, especially in the strong wind.

Empty - Good run there which should prepare you well for the Fleet HM. Good luck with that.

Tracey - I'm very impressed when someone says a "shorter long run of 14 miles". Sounds a heck of a long way to me! Nice one.

Mick - I'm so envious of your run in Venice. If there's a more beautiful city to do one in, I'd like to know where it is.

sharkie - Maybe your session might seem a bit on the easy side to the uninitiated until you said about the lad throwing up. That shows it's anything but. Another good outing for you.

Impey - Great interval session there and you had the bonus of a shower to cool you off!

aws - Interesting to see you experimenting. I tried that myself yesterday (in a different way - see below).

Diana - Good run with the club. If it felt hard, it must have been doing you good!

TS - Nice run round the Stray. What a nice part of the town that is. To me the Newcastle Town Moor should be like that. 

I did 8 miles yesterday, quite long for me as you know but I'm going to try to include more runs of over 7 miles.

I've reported on this route before and pointed out my splits reflect the undulating terrain but this time I thought I'd try to maintain an even pace, in spite of the hills and wind. This didn't come easily as it's only natural for me to speed up down hills but it made a nice change and it was challenging to maintain the pace on the uphill bits and into the wind at times.

8:42, 8:41, 8:53, 8:59, 8:57, 8:49, 8:54, 8:54

Total = 70:48.

Still started off a bit too quickly, but pleased with the pretty constant pace after that.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    JJ - I know you don't like warm weather races, but how about the Weald of Kent 10?
  • EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

Good runs from lots of peeps over the last couple of days.

Good luck to JJ in his race tomorrow and to anyone else that I've forgotten.

NRD's yesterday and today, fallen into a black hole ( it's getting a bit boring now image ) . I've decided not to run Fleet tomorrow.

Liz's tablets appear to be working as she only has baby elephant feet now image.

Mike T

• ternoon

Couldn't resist completing Pammie's enigmatic post at the BOTP. Perhaps you've edited it now Pammie?

ceal Re Thursday nights sesh. Yeah, pretty much full effort. I've had three ok to good sessions in a row so wasn't surprised to feel that this wasn't quite as good from me. However, it was hard to judge how I was doing as really only Pete was running with me - and he is obviously a lot faster. And as the boys started their 250s at the same time or before we did, they all passed me on the 100 straight.

Mr. S told me that Steve said I was running well, and he (G.) thought I looked good too. Legs more than lungs feeling it for me, unlike Sunday. I think the 180s were round about 35 seconds. That's close to my 200 PB - but 20 metres less to run of course.

Gobi on the Daily Training Thread backed me up about effort  - he said 4 x180 off 8 minute recoveries "is quite nasty indeed for a sprinter." Confirmation from a coach!

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Empty
    a suggestion, but only a suggestion. Is there a much slower runner than you from the joggers who is doing Fleet tomorrow. Could you help pace him/her around the course. You know the course well I think. It would take all the pressure off you,  give you a focus, also give you a 13 mile outing in very reasonable weather. I hope Liz's tablets continue to work well for her.

We have a wedding date for my son. Sept 5th! The vicar has delayed his holiday by a day, 'cause when he was first asked he said he was on holiday on that date then came back to prospective d-i-l to say he had discussed it with his wife and would not go on holiday until the 6thimage

I had a text from Stewart earlier today to say he had been upgraded on this flight. Talk about Jam. I am of course looking forward to him coming home but am not looking forward to giving him the news about Blue.  

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hello

Sharkie - you read my mind

Apologies about last post, it decided to post itself without my say so

aws - good run glad to hear you still found it comfortable when you pushed the pace/hr

Diana - very good run from you we have hills like that that cover a whole mile very hard

Graham - good run and pretty even paced

7.64 miles this afternoon 1:12:52 - 9:32 pace 149 HR 77% whr

Apologies about last post, it decided to post itself without my say so

aws - good run glad to hear you still found it comfortable when you pushed the pace/hr

Diana - very good run from you we have hills like that that cover a whole mile very hard

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    9:32 133 143
    9:14 146 152
    9:37 149 158
    9:17 154 157
    9:28 153 162
    9:33 154 159
    9:55 156 162
    6:12 152 157 9:43 pace for 0.64 miles

Longest run in a month weather was a tad windy sound like a stuck record don't i started to struggle in the last 2 miles problem i think my left heel was feeling sore when i got home saw i had a blister on the side of my heel which probably did effect my later miles

So tomorrow i think i shall do a short run

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Ceal - Good news, your son setting a wedding date and what a nice vicar delaying his holiday to marry them

• Pammie Ah there you are!

ceal Jammie indeed. Nice one.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Sharkie i did go and edit it but couldn't think of anything to say and remember everything that was on the last page so left it as i couldn't completely delete it.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Remembering what was on the last page, always foxes me which is why I forgot Graham's very steady run.

Good one Graham.  

It seems to be the season for blisters and foot rubbings. I hope you manage to cover it with something Pammie for tomorrows run.
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

ceal - Thanks. I need to get in a lot more runs of 8-12 miles if I'm not going to fade towards the end of longer races. I plan to do a 10-miler in the week. Pleased you've got a date for the wedding.

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Ceal, good news about the wedding date.

Only one other Jogger at Fleet and he's a sub 3.15 marthon runner. I'll just go out with the Sunday group around the Purbrook lanes so a nice social run and helping those preparing for their spring marathons.

Mike T

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Empty
    that sounds a sound idea! Enjoy. It is always good to get support on a long run from other runners.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Empty - Have a nice run in the sunshine tomorrow. Hope Liz's feet are better soon. Give her a big hug from me.
  • Have a smashin' day runners, racers and resters.

sharkie xx

• Morning Sharkie,

Have a nice day yerself image

Good luck and/or strong running for our racers.

Done my early a.m. run.   Off out now.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

Sharkie hope all is going well at Hastings

hi Impey

My run done - foot ok no adverse reactions today only did short run as i need to be back as i am now waiting from some nice soul to deliver my shopping.(i had to stop tesco lady arrived) May do a short run later

3.43 miles
    34:07
    9:57 pace
    144 avg HR
    73% whr

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    9:52 137 148
    9:45 146 155
    10:10 148 155
    4:18 148 151 about 10:10 pace
  • cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

what a beautiful day it is too. Best of the year so far. Warm and sunny and so very spring like. Great conditions for a race.

Pammie
    I hope you fit another run in today.

Impey
    you were out running early this morning.

Tracey
    I hope you are having a good time at Silverstone!! At least the weather is pleasant for your duties.

TS
    how far are you running today/ Have you run today?

Not sure what time the Hastings Half was but would guess it is perhaps over now.

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Well my session today certainly taxed me as I knew it would. It called for 2 miles warm up and 2 miles cool down with 5 miles ran at half mara pace (7.48 mm) sandwiched in-between.

Well I did it, the pace was a bit uneven due to different conditions on each mile but my overall pace matched the requirement. But it was not as easy as the HR shows. I think my LTT was in the 140's today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Warm-up--2 miles, 19.16 mins, av pace 9.25, av HR 103

5 miles ran in 38.57 mins, av pace 7.47 mm, av HR 134, MHR 146

7.46, av HR 124, MHR 132
    7.41, av HR 131, MHR 134
    7.52, av HR 134, MHR 138
    7.59, av HR 139, MHR 143
    7.35, av HR 142, MHR 146

Cool-down started almost immediately, 2 miles, 19.03 mins, av pace 9.17, av HR 122.

I did struggle with the 2 miles home, I was well and truely cream crackered. But the sunshine kept me going.

That is 41.6 miles for the week with 3 endurance speed sessions included.

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

Pammie, glad the foot was OK. Hope you get out for a run later.

That was a challenging session ( and week ) Ceal, good pace on your run with a pretty quick last mile there.

Lovely morning to be running, bright with a slight nip but warming up as we went along. We had two groups starting half hour apart, hopefully meeting up not long after the second group started. I led the second group and thankfully we did meet up - haven't always managed that image

In the end I cut back with one of the early group as she was finding the pace tough, mind you she did 13.2 miles and finished in a time 10mins faster than her race HM PB. Her progress this year has been fantastic and she should make her sub 5 FLM target. Splits were

Lap 1 - 0.74 miles - 06:15 - 138bpm avge  - 146bpm max - 93cal - jog down to meeting point
    Lap 1 - 1 miles - 09:49 - 129bpm avge  - 144bpm max - 123cal
    Lap 2 - 1 miles - 09:09 - 126bpm avge  - 143bpm max - 123cal
    Lap 3 - 1 miles - 09:29 - 129bpm avge  - 141bpm max - 124cal
    Lap 4 - 1 miles - 09:04 - 132bpm avge  - 145bpm max - 124cal
    Lap 5 - 1 miles - 08:36 - 128bpm avge  - 135bpm max - 124cal
    Lap 6 - 1 miles - 08:56 - 132bpm avge  - 145bpm max - 125cal
    Lap 7 - 1 miles - 09:17 - 129bpm avge  - 143bpm max - 126cal
    Lap 8 - 1 miles - 09:29 - 128bpm avge  - 143bpm max - 126cal
    Lap 9 - 1 miles - 09:55 - 124bpm avge  - 139bpm max - 125cal
    Lap 10 - 1 miles - 10:10 - 124bpm avge  - 136bpm max - 125cal
    Lap 11 - 1 miles - 09:45 - 120bpm avge  - 136bpm max - 122cal
    Lap 12 - 0.45 miles - 03:57 - 138bpm avge  - 142bpm max - 57cal - jog home

Total 12.19m in 1.53.51, 9.20pace, ave hr 129, wHR 61%.

Enjoyed the run and the company.

Mike T

• Empty Glad you enjoyed the run this morning. You obviously made the right decision not to race. Nice warm glow from being a good coach I hope!

Ceal Very good week all in all doncha think? Tough one. Speed endurance yuck! xxx

As for me, I think I had a nicer time than the racers this morning. I walked up and down seven miles of hills in the sunshine. Some of it with a medium heavy rucksack -  partly for added calorie burning, but mainly so I could present Mr. S. with post race clothes and drinks etc. 

I found a lovely footpath through the woods that meant I could get to a point well beyond the first tough bit of the race in time to watch everyone I knew go past. I saw 5 of the 6 sprint group runners, plus JJ, plus several Serpie mates. They all got a good shout out from me!

Then I hared it back to the finish line in time to cheer everyone in.

Hmm. Everyone disappointed with their times. Said it was very tough today. Perhaps it was a bit too warm to run 13+ hilly miles. Mr. S did a very similar time to last year - 1:41 I think. He had hoped to be up to five minutes quicker, although to be fair to him when he was ill last weekend he had revised that target. He said after seven miles or so he had nothing left in the tank at all and nearly gave up. He invariably does negative splits in a race but is pretty sure he didn't today. S. and P. were also 5 mins down on their target time - they wanted to do 1:30 and it was more like 1:35 or 6.

The Queen of Pain was running today and was really mad at herself for walking a mile on the seafront to finish in 1:56. She said she was crying. Poor Queen of Pain! Yeah, let her suffer. Hahahahahaha. I don't mean it Amy darling!  

QOP's bloke  - also a runner at HAC did 1:25.

Race was won in an alarming  62 minutes!

One of the boys from the middle distance group that Get in Our Way on track nights ran 1:13. Ok, he's good!

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Flipping heck Hastings won in 62 mins, that is Impressively FAST and rather scarey. 

sharkie
    thanks, yes I think I have had a good week this week. Can I do one more week like that I wonder. It was tough from time to time.

I think Mr s did ok to run much the same as last year, especially as he has been ill and hasn't trained for the event much!!! How did Jo do? You sound as if you had a very pleasant day. I could imagine that racers could have found it too warm today, coming out of the blue like it does here in the UK from time to time.  

Empty
    a very rewarding training run from you, especially as you have helped a runner (female at that) achieve an excellent training run.   

• ceal It was an African bloke wot won it. No surprises there!
    Mr. S. actually not too disappointed, said he did as well as he could. Alarming blood covered sock when he took his shoes off. Double yuck. Said that today he felt the half was too far for him to run in flats.

We all waited for J. to finish - she did about 2:33. She looked ok and recovered very quickly but said it was one of the hardest things she's ever done. It was odd watching her run so slowly - I am used to her powering past me like an express train.