• Good morning

PTP2 Day 32

5.08M; 1:01:56; 12:11/M; hr144 m151; easy, target >hr140
    12:19 hr143 m149
    12:08 hr145 m150
    12:28 hr146 m151
    12:37 hr144 m148
    11:36 hr143 m146

So there it is; negative split by 15sec. 3ºC and frost on car roofs so it's not summer yet.

al

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Yes aws it is cool here too. Are you stil doing grandad duties? Always good to do a negative split, especially when it doesn't make the HR rise.

sharkie
    re your blocks of stone in each shoe. Compression socks may help. They improve one's circulation so may well solve your problem.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

Thanks Maggie, JJ and Aws for the info about Harvel worth thinking about

Thanks Ceal its a bit better today can feel it a bit (if i prod it) but i'll not run today give it a good chance and then see how it is tomorrow

Aws - nice run 11s and 12s lovely
  • I've lost me bolds and itals.

Ceal - I'm on the case with the compression socks. Have been wondering which sort to try. Hilly have just brought out some so will try and get some when I'm in London next week.

Mind you the only thing that seems to de-freeze the blocks at the moment is taking all shoes and socks OFF and manually moving the toes around and scrunching them 'til they move on their own!
  • good morning

Sharkie
    decisions, decisions....... and having to sprint as well!!! Even harder with frozen feet
    Hope the house purchase goes well - I trust you have sussed out its location in relation to suitable running routes for when we all come for a seaside breakimage

Pammie
    tough spell you are having with minor niggles but you seem to be able to preventtheir spread to major ones - good willpower

aws
    good run - like mine yesterday the cold seems to have spurred you on!!

Awoke early this am and it was a misty dawn though not as bad as yesterday. HOwever I forearmed myself with a long sleeved base layer tee and felt more comfy for it though tired legs, body and mind meant that I was not likely to run as briskly as yesterday - and so it turned out.

8.33 miles done in 71:38 (8:33m/m) with avHR136 (70% WHR) and a max of 148

1m 8:21 hr120 the downhill SS start
    2m 8:44 hr137
    3m 8:42 hr136
    4m 8:24 hr137
    5m 8:55 hr138 felt very tired here
    6m 8:55 hr140 and here - on Hipps Hill
    7m 8:20 hr140
    8m 8:40 hr139 tricked my body and mind by suddenly adding in another loop just as I neared home!!!
    .33 2:36 hr141

HR up by 1 bpm and av pace down by 10sec/mile reflecting how I felt

• Ceal/Pammie/TS -thanks for comments.

Ceal -I'm holding the fort at home at present but Angela's still with Alison. Seems Granddad is de trop just now. I'm going again Saturday to bring Angela home then she'll be going back again for part of next week. Pity about the 100mile round trip each time but it's worth it to see the difference it makes to Angela to feel she's of some use to someone, as the doldrums have been prevalent of late. The down side is that she feels guilty about missing the halfday of toddler minding she's been doing each week for our other daughter who now has to rely on the other grandparents instead. We can understand now why children are born with two sets of GPs and why said GPs have to retire to be able to cope with it all. Then people ask, "what do you do with yourself all the time?" Makes you wonder how peeps' families manage with multiple births.

al

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

JJ - Ah, the Beaconsfield fair. I remember it very well too as it was a real annual treat for me and my sister. May 10th was the day. I had three uncles and two aunts living there so we got plenty of treats on fair day. Dad knew every one in town, except the posh folk (not so many in those days probably). My grandparents had a house on Windsor End, right by the main part of the fair. My granddad was a farm labourer. No doubt the house is now owned by a stockbroker or the like.

Nice to see everyone enjoying the weather. Isn't it great. I'm not running today but hope to get out for a 10-miler tomorrow, up the Tyne Valley and back. A picnic lunch afterwards by the river would be just the thing.

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Graham
    will someone else be getting the picnic ready whilst your run your 10 miles?!

aws
    it's nice to be superfluous sometimesimage. I hope Angela gets enjoyment from her new little one as well as feeling wanted. I am sure she does. Multiple births, just don't even go there. Doesn't bear thinking about.

TS
    More miles in the bank whatever the pace.

I ran 7 sunny recovery paced miles this morning. A couple of them were run on a new mud-less trail which I spotted this morning. Some trees have just been cut down exposing the start of the farm path. I took the opportunity to keep my pace down by taking a detour. Then it was back on the road again.  

So 7 miles ran in 62 mins, av pace 9.17 mm, av HR 112, MHR 126

9.27, av HR 106
    8.50, av HR 111
    9.44, av HR 109--on the trail now
    9.31, av HR 110--still on trail but with HUGE potholes to dance around
    9.13, av HR 115--MHR 126. back on the road which includes a hill
    9.02, av HR 115
    9.13, av HR 118--another hill 

I think I could have gone on for a few more miles at that pace, but resisted all temptations from the brain messages I was receiving to tell me to do so.

• Graham
    another nostalgia flash!!
    I used to live in Walbottle Village and my favourite running route from home was down the hill to Newburn Bridge, along the south side of the Tyne to Wylam Bridge, then either back along the old railway line footpath by the river or up the hill from Wylam to the Military Road , up through Heddon on the Wall and Throckley and thence home.
    in the summer when it was dry underfoot I would use the footpaths through Close House for a change

Great running routes - enjoyimage!!

ceal
    your low avHR is amazing even for a recovery run and no real drift. Your aerobic base shows no sign of diminishing with your increased tempo work

Yes, I guess I was due a tired day, just need to keep it going tomorrow and then have another rest day on Saturday, though hopefully not like last weeks!!!

aws
    We can understand now why children are born with two sets of GPs and why said GPs have to retire to be able to cope with it all. Then people ask, "what do you do with yourself all the time?

LOL - exactly!!

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Ceal

Your heart rate is only a bit higher than before I start my run.

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Tracey
    I am obviously still asleep!

TS
    Yes, I don't think my HR when running has ever been so low. Not sure what it really signifies in relation to a race though.

I was surprised after yesterday's efforts how quickly my HR recovered by the evening, ok not 39 beats per minute but down to 43. I didn't think that was too bad. However, I should be doing another speed endurance session tomorrow, but not sure that I will feel recovered in order to do it justice.

I am relieved that I won't have to do my Sunday session of speed in addition to the other's this week. Thanks to Mothering Sunday. I will just have time to fit a few casual miles in before getting in the car and heading off to the South Coast for lunch.  My consciounce will be clear on missing that one.  image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Ceal - you must have been very laid back on your run today image
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

ceal - To my disgust I'm having to prepare the picnic myself. My last slave died recently of overwork and I've yet to find a replacement.

TS - That sounds a very good route and one I'll have to try. I've struggled up the hill from Wylam to the Military Road on my bike a number of times but have never run it.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

JJ - when is your first flower show of 2009?

• Evening all

No time to reply to everyone - sorry.

Club run tonight.

4.07 miles in 45:50.
    11:44
    11:42
    10:13
    11:25
    11:44 pace for last bit.

Pleased with third mile as half of it was the same pace as the others, and after we'd regrouped I ran with the two fellas at the front.  It felt quite comfortable for that distance and I think I ould have gone further with regroup recoveries. I didn't want to overdo it as I'm doing the Hogweed Hilly Half on Sunday.

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Morning all

NRD Wednesday, another CBA day but I did get down to Alexandra Sports and get a new pair of shoes which I'll try out for firt tme today (hopefully).

Yesterday out with the Joggers for a scheduled 11 mles steady. It was a "bit" windy along the sea front. Splits were

Lap 1 - 1 miles - 8:35(8:35/m) - 150bpm avge  - 167bpm max - 119cal
    Lap 2 - 1 miles - 7:51(7:51/m) - 148bpm avge  - 153bpm max - 128cal - unintentional split of group into two
    Lap 3 - 1 miles - 7:44(7:44/m) - 150bpm avge  - 161bpm max - 127cal
    Lap 4 - 1 miles - 7:42(7:42/m) - 152bpm avge  - 157bpm max - 131cal
    Lap 5 - 1 miles - 7:30(7:30/m) - 156bpm avge  - 158bpm max - 123cal
    Lap 6 - 1 miles - 7:40(7:40/m) - 155bpm avge  - 159bpm max - 124cal
    Lap 7 - 1 miles - 7:50(7:50/m) - 155bpm avge  - 157bpm max - 128cal
    Lap 8 - 1 miles - 8:31(8:31/m) - 140bpm avge  - 155bpm max - 123cal - meet up with other group for run back
    Lap 9 - 1 miles - 8:19(8:19/m) - 142bpm avge  - 147bpm max - 124cal
    Lap 10 - 1 miles - 8:41(8:41/m) - 140bpm avge  - 144bpm max - 125cal
    Lap 11 - 1 miles - 8:32(8:32/m) - 138bpm avge  - 141bpm max - 126cal
    Lap 12 - 0.73 miles - 6:15(8:33/m) - 134bpm avge  - 141bpm max - 86cal

Total 11.73 in 1.35.09, ave 8.06, ave HR 146, wHR 76%. - hardwork along sea front as HR shows.

Hoping after two days in bed Liz's feet will be down enough to let her get up.

Mike T 

• Good morning

PTP2 Day 33

5.2M; 1:05:20; 12:34/M; hr136 m147; slow
    12:44 hr136 m144
    12:33 hr137 m142
    12:53 hr137 m147
    12:49 hr134 m140
    12:14 hr135 m142

Slow says it all. That's what's in the programme. 5ºC and no frost on car roofs so it's nearly summer.

al

• Norning all

Mike
    Hope the new shoes do the job.
    Windy sea front - always a challenge.
    All the best to Liz.

aws
    Good run. Glad to see you're doing as you're told.

Run done.
    2.93 miles in 35:12, av 12:01.
    Supposed to be a recovery run but think it might have been a bit fast. Didn't feel too bad.

Lovely morning here.

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

Empty
    that was quite a fast av pace with a good no of miles. I hope you havea  good run in your new shoes today. Also please tell Liz we hope her recover very soon. Does she have anybody come in to gently massage her legs?

K2
    You are running keen after your 11 miles the other day.

Tracey
    I asked the same question of JJ yesterday, but then I deleted it. So great minds think alike.

JJ
    Have a good speed session today. Whatever design you decide on.

• Mike
    I have some samples of Phiten eWater at work. Apply gently to the affected area.Said to help blood flow. Works on K3 who is the world's biggest sceptic. If you'd like on to try on Liz's feet email me.

ceal
    I feel much better. legs nicely loosened after the massage on Weds.

• Track last night:

Cold again after another bright, bright, sunshiny day. (Cue song) Ice block feet again.

Running through mini-hurdles. 8 of them, 1.5 metres between each, fact fans. Didn't beat my previous best of 1.64 seconds, only clocking 1.73. Fastest boy also slightly slower - 1.33 compared to 1.27. So perhaps they were slightly further apart? I live in hope.

Walk to 100 start, stride back.

Stand on line, rise on to balls of feet, fall forward on 'go' and run to 30m x 2, then to 50m x 1. I'm a resounding last on all these.

3 point starts, run to 50 x 4. Full house last night so two groups for these. Boys and girls plus slowest bloke (bet he loved that) I'm last on these too but not quite so resoundingly. Beginning to get my act together aggression wise.

Walk to 300 and back - ie 200m. Crikey this bit makes dull reading, that's the problem with recording everything for future reference. Do we need some jokes?

Then 80m, 60m, 40m. All with walk backs. Felt I was a long way behind on the 80, although I was told otherwise. Close on the 60 and 40. I am managing to put more effort into the real short distances, think slight shortening of stride therefore faster cadence is helping. But still last.

Yet again remind myself that C. is 30 years younger than I am. SIGH. But not too big a sigh honest.

• Talking of jokes, this isn't one but it amused me: when Ceal wrote this to Empty just up the page: "I hope you havea  good run in your new shoes today." I got a picture of an enormous new shoe, price tag and all, with a tiny Empty running round and round  inside it. I hope he found a way out, I hate to think of him trapped in there.image

al

• good morning - sigh (big one see later!!)

Graham
    enjoy your day. It is 23 years since I ran the hill up to Heddon on the Wall and I can still ermember it vividly!!!

Empty
    that lookes a very good run last evening - that's what happens with a CBA day - you are rested for the next dayimage

K2
    needs more milesimage!

aws
    nice consistent effort - can't see any 13's there

Sharkie
    oh how I Ioved being reminded of the rise on balls of feet, fall forward and drive off >sigh<

>more sigh< as I went out this am into a very sharp first day of spring. Cold, chill breeze and no sun with legs that did not want to cooperate - that stretch I did yesterday was obviously too much.
    So gingerly started out on the SS start hoping to feel better as time went on - and on, and on for

8.55 miles in 74:43 (8:44m/m) and avHR136 (70%WHR) anda  max of 148

1m 9:24 hr120 told you legs did not want to turn over and this was downhill as well!!
    2m 9:00 hr137
    3m 8:17 hr136
    4m 8:51 hr136
    5m 8:53 hr138
    6m 8:28 hr141 Hipps Hill
    7m 8:18 hr142 maintain hill effort onto flat
    8m 8:38 hr140 ditto plus hill
    .55 4:43 hr141

ended up ok and surprised that I could negative split after earlier tiredness >sigh<

• Empty/aws
    reminds me that I need new shoes as well to run in but not around in
  • cealceal ✭✭✭

sharkie
    If you performed well at the shorter distances yesterday pm, presumable this means that your start reactions are getting quicker and more powerful.

TS
    Day off for you tomorrowimage. Good run from you today, and Hipps hill didn't raise the HR too much at all.

• cealceal ✭✭✭

I found todays scheduled training run daunting. It was 1.5 miles warm up and cool down. Plus 4 x 3k at 10k pace (7.25 mm) with 3 mins active recovery between each. I found 3 x 3k last week tough so I knew I would struggle today with an extra rep. But told myself that I needn't do the 4th one if I felt all in.

1.5 mile warmup , 13.32 mins, 9.03 mm, av HR 109

1.86 miles, 13.43 mins, av pace 7.22 mm, av HR 136, MHR 148---uphill drag with a few flat bits
    1.87 miles, 13.54 mins, av pace 7.27 mm, av HR 142, MHR 150---downhill drag into the wind
    1.86 miles, 13.59 mins, av pace, 7.30 mm, av HR 143, MHR 151--uphill drag again and tiring now
    1.87 miles, 14.15 mins, av pace 7.38 mm, av HR 140, MHR 146--downhill drag into the wind and nothing left. But I had done it.

1.8 miles cool-down, 16.48 mins, av pace 9.19 mm, av HR 119

Yes, too tired really to do the session justice, but the effort was there so that must count for something. But too tired to raise my HR to where it should have been.   

It was one of the toughest training runs I have even done. All the bits add up to 11.9 miles.

• Ceal
    I don't think I would like to tackle that one!!!
    Excellent 10K preparation and overall good upper lactate buffering training session with HR levels I would associate with mile reps so you weren't too far off.
    I got tired just reading it.
    Not surprising your knees were smiling on the last repimage

I thought I had done well with my mileage today on tired legs but that was an exceptional effort. You may polish some daffodils this afternoonimage

• cealceal ✭✭✭

TS
    thanks very much for your encouragement. Much appreciated and digested. Yes knees were wearing a Japanese smile at the end!

It is still a lovely day here. The sun is still shinning. The daffodils are now all well dusted.