Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Some tough sessions there (sharkie, TS and ceal in particular) make my 10-miler this morning look easy. Which it was really, 88 minutes 30 seconds. Not that I wasn't tired at the end!

The route was along the Tyne from Newburn to Ovingham, returning on the opposite bank. Mostly level paths and tracks based on an old railway line, with a couple of miles along a quiet road. It passes the cottage where George Stephenson was born. The weather was sunny all the way and it's noticeable how it brings the best out of people. A young lady running in the opposite direction gave me a very friendly wave and a smile as we passed, which I returned with pleasure. I've more or less given up acknowledging other runners as they're seldom returned in my experience, or if they are it's often grudgingly. So that made a very welcome change. Cyclists and horse-riders are far more friendly in my experience.

After finishing I sat by the river enjoying the warm sunshine, the view upstream and the nearby blackthorn blossom. I saw my first butterfly of the year too, a tortoiseshell (which were quite scarce last year compared to normal). It doesn't get much better and the forecast is very good tomorrow for my RSPB trip.

So that's my 20-mile target already reached this week and I plan a 5K for Sunday.

Good running everyone and carry on enjoying the good weather.

• Options

Hi folks,

Some really good running/training been going on here last couple of days. Just quickly scanned through so will have to read back after this.

Reached my 30 mile target for this week today which tops previous weeks of 19, 17 and 24.

Wednesday's run was all in the 10 min/mile range. 6.5 miles comprising trail miles 10.21, 10.30, 10.44, 10.16, 10.10 and 10.04 plus a 1/2 mile w/down at 10.48 min/mile.

Today Marg came down to the country park with me and enjoyed doing a 3 mile power walk while I got on with me run.  I hope she will start doing this again and maybe it'll inspire her to do more of these.
    Smashing day with sunshine all the time with only a stiffish breeze and annoying swarms of midges to offset things somewhat !

Kept my mileage down a bit as this week has seen a big jump in miles already.
    Started with fastest warmup mile so far this year then a brief 4 x 400m intervals finishing with other 3 miles.
    Ints....400m @ 7m.29s
               400m @ 7m.33s
               400m @ 7m.30s
               400m @ 7m.30s
    9m.46s,
    9m.41s,
    9m.46s.
    Short warmdown to carpark.

Found Margaret admiring the swans, geese and ducks by the waters edge.  She had just been talking to a keen wild life expert who apparently has names for several individual birds, "this is Jack the cob and that is Mandy the goose" for instance .  How he does that we don't know, they all look the same to usimage

• Options

JJ - You can't be getting older, in my view you'll always be younger.

al

• Options

LOL re Bird Relations,  maybe I'd be up before the "beak"?
    Didn't mention that there were hundreds of the fowl birds.   Mind you Marg said two of the swans seemed to really know the man when they came to eat off his hands. Not unusual for swans to be tame tis true.

No intention of stepping up mileage now for a while,  anyway I have 2 x 10ks to race 29thMar and 5thApr and though I doubt pbs will be achieved I shall enjoy doing them if only for helping with training for other races later.

• Options

Good morning (and a corker for running)
    Sorry, GM is a greeting not a weather comment.

PTP2 Day 34

16.12M; 3:24:21; 12:40/M; hr138 m151; slow to easy in 2nd half
    12:47 hr138 m146
    12:35 hr138 m142
    12:25 hr140 m145
    12:44 hr138 m147
    13:19 hr136 m142 long drag uphill for the whole mile
    12:09 hr136 m143 the compensation
    12:44 hr136 m143
    12:44 hr136 m146 halfway
    12:05 hr140 m143 raise HR slightly for this mile onwards
    12:33 hr140 m147
    12:08 hr141 m151
    12:14 hr140 m143
    12:36 hr140 m146
    13:43 hr140 m147 wicked, hill not as long as the earlier one but much harder
    12:50 hr137 m145 I'm beginning to lose it
    13:05 hr127 m128 fell apart; absolutely creamed

The comments and numbers say it all. The last mile is never like that, it's my downhill home stretch after all. 1ºC and heavy frost on car roofs so it's not nearly summer after all.

Sharkie - The blocks of ice this morning were my hands and I'd done half the run before I could feel them, but I started thinking of your feet and your comment about having to take off shoes and socks to be able to warm them up. It made me wonder if, perhaps, you lace your shoes too tight and restrict the circulation?

al

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good another sunny morning greeting to you all.

aws
    empathy's for your hands this morning, I dislike having cold hands when running. Good mileage, I can see from the dropped HR that you were starting to get tired in the last couple of miles. But it will be easier next time round.

Graham
    I find runners rather rude when they don't give a greeting. But it can be the same with walkers too. But I always try and make them respond with a load greeting from me. Your 10 miler was a good pace and the finish to your run sounded idyllic.

Impey
    a new Impey, it is good to see your spirit is back in your running, with excellent mileage for the week. All done with purpose. The 400's look good too.

JJ
    You will recover from the race last week with renewed vigour I am sure. Have a good day today, I hope you don't have to spend too much time in the car. Your Hong Kong visit is getting very near.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

A sunny run done, I could get used to this weather very quickly. But of course it would be more pleasant if the evenings were warmer so that sharkie doesn't have to run with blocks of ice for feet.    

I ran 5 gently undulating miles, in 44 mins, av pace 8.40 av HR around 117. There were a few spikes in the first couple of miles.

8.56, av HR 110
    8.58, av HR 119
    8.44, av HR 117
    8.40, av HR 120
    8.17, av HR 123

I probably won't run tomorrow, but will see. My target for this week was 35 miles and I have reached that now, in just 4 runs!

Going to see Slumdog this evening.

• Options

Huge reading task to catch up on what everyone has been doing. I've had a very busy week.

Good luck for Hogweed, K2. It's helpful that you've got your 11 mile preparation run in.

Empty, glad to hear that Liz was able to have lunch out, which hopefully was a good boost to the spirits. How are her feet now?

Maggie, I see you're still running, though hindered by Cass!

ceal, really hard session you descibed. You certainly will have earned your day off tomorrow. Enjoy Slumdog, and your lunch tomorrow.

sharkie, I assume the house is in or near Hastings? Hope it all goes through ok. I sympathise on the cold and numb feet, as I suffer that way too, but with longer distance running they do warm up after a mile or so.

JJ, I'll be interested to hear how the rhubarb turns out _ I love it, and would like to grow some, not having done so for years.

Pammie, hope the latest niggle disappears soon.

aws, great distance, though you were obviously tired at the end. Although a fair bit younger than you, I find one grandchild pretty tiring!

Hopefully Graham will have spotted lots of interesting birds today.

Impey, congratulations on your 30 mile week. You beat me!

Glad you're enjoying lovely weather too, TS.

• Options

A couple more runs to report, making my weekly total 26.15 miles.

10 x 1min20sec hills on Wednesday which together with warm-up and cool-down totalled 6.2 miles, then a hilly trail run with the head torch last night. As it was a loop, ups and downs must have been equal, but it felt almost all uphill! 6.43 miles in 1:04:22, average pace 10:00mm avHR148.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Quick post as i have to leave for work in 10 minutes

First run today in 3 days decided to give hamstring a rest would have run yesterday but thursday we worked all night and by the time i got up yesterday was nearly time for work and one more day woud have given extra rest

Was planning on 4 today to ease back in, but did 5

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    10:00 137 149
    9:32 145 156
    9:26 149 159
    9:41 150 158
    9:31 152 157
    0:12 148 149

5 miles
    9:39 pace
    14 avg HR
    75% WHR

Sorry can't chat on whats being going on Until tomorrow
  • Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Evening all

Sorry haven't read back yet apologies if I've anything vital.

Graham that sounded avery enjoyable run and aws great mileage today. Pammie glad you were able to get back out running today.

Ceal/Diana City of Portsmouth have released the dates for the Promenade series and D-Day 10k if you are interested. Unfortunately 3 of them clash with the Yateley 10k's which I'm meant to be running Darrell again this year.

Didn't get out yesterday, had a major problem with Liz's shower ( now need a new one and getting a plumber is not easy !!), then her carer couldn't come as her daughter had gone into labour ( baby Harvey born at 3:15 this morning) and the day just disappeared so not sure how the shoes are have to be Monday's treat now. 

Today met up with a group our marathon runners on their long run and ran with or some of the way so

11.05 in 1.40.12, ave 9.03, ave HR 134m wHR 66%.

Mike T

• Options

good morning

awakened by bright early sunshine but not out just yet - letting the chill get off first.

Impey
    good upping of the mileage and some pacier stuff as well - liked the bird watchinig bit!!

Pammie
    any day you exceed your target by 25% cannot be a bad one!!

Diana
    hill sessons and hilly runs - you glutton, you!! Sounds a stiff couple of days

Empty
    well done on fitting everything in along with a decent run

Graham
    I can visualise virtually every step you ran image
    NIce change for you and very good mileage and time for it in the sunshine - notice you missed out on the hills!!

aws
    that is just how you are suppose to get in the last couple of miles as youare pushing the endurance boundaries to new limits and the final big hill was the "icing " on the cake!!
    You were probably a bit too fast in the early stages but overall it is excellent progress - enjoy a rest day!

Ceal
    that looks very relaxed for you!!

I slipped out ealy yesterday as it looked so good outside and found  bright, freezing condiitons for a 3 mile shuffle devcoid of any pace or amabition - it was just too nice a day to let pass without a run of some sort.

Now the moors beckon - though after another rugbyfest day yesterday suitably fuelled by pork pies, sausages and beer and a quite raucous gathering that went on quite a bit afterwards my apprehension on what awaits may be well founded...............................

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

TS
    Tee hee, your sins will find you outimage. The England result was a good on, I only saw the first 20 mins, but I did enjoy the F v I  game. The French played so much better than last week! Have a good run, it will make you feel better, honest.

JJ
    Was your heart beating in unison with mine then?!

Diana
    10 x 1min hill reps is a tough ask. YOu must be all hill-ed up after those 2 sessions.

Empty
    I hope you get a plumber sorted pdq. As always good running. Thanks for the reminder to look at dates from 5k' etc at Portsmouth. I shall only be able to do the May one, the others clash with other events. Not sure if I shall do the 10k, I may not be still be 10k trained by June!

Pammie
    sounds as if your hammie has recovered. Good.

We enjoyed Slumdog very much, and it was just my sort of film. It must go down as one of the best films I have ever seen. For many reasons. I also enjoyed the music.  

Off to the South Coast very soon, I have resisted any callings from  the sunshine to get out and run.

• Options

Thanks for the link Empty - think there are a couple of clashes with things already in my calendar, but useful to know what's on locally. Hope you get the shower sorted out quickly.

Really enjoyed the Wales/Ireland match yesterday, even without any pork pies or beer!

The hill reps were a challenge, especially as thhe hill gets steeper as it goes. You think you've just about got your breat back on the downhill, but realise you haven't as the uphill progresses. We only did 8 reps last time, so it was a harder session.

Pammie - your pace is definitely returning.

ceal have a nicew day at the seaside. Must get to see Slumdog - especially after your glowing report!

Planning an easy run in a while - can't waste the lovely sunshine, and daughter is cooking me lunch, so I can go off and play!

• Options

Ceal
    enjoy your day at the seaside!

Diana
    yhou should have kept your hill gluttony for some pork pies and beer.
    Some very good games yesterday and some righteningly quick runners on display

my apprehensions were well founded on a surprisingly cold day as a chill SE wind blew over the barren tops and no shelter was there to be had - survival mode on tired legs

A good day for bird spotting as a glanced up whilst putting on my Garmin to see a Red Kite trying to glide across the wind which alerted me to just how stiff the wind was likely to be on the tops, then in the first mile a spectacular view of a a peregrine taking a pigeon right in my eyeline and then finally on the moor top the haunting song of a curlew, its voice cascading across the bleak uplands as I intruded on its estate - that kept me going when the going got tough which was most of the way

14.10 miles done in 2::08:40 av HR132 (67%WHR) and a max of only 142 (disreagrding spikes!!)

01m 9:29 hr125
    02m 9:35 hr134
    03m 9:38 hr137
    04m 9:14 hr132
    05m 9:19 hr132
    06m 8:30 hr126 sone respite form head wind and hill
    07m 8:45 hr131
    08m 8:22 hr131
    09m 9:16 hr132
    10m 9:17 hr133
    11m 9:12 hr134 Hipps Hill
    12m 8:57 hr133
    13m 9:17 hr134
    14m 9:02 hr136

all hard work though the HR does not indicate same but it reflects the culmination of a 64 mile week ..

.............................oh and yesterdays excesses as wellimage. Garmin said I used 2115 calories which just about equals the pork pies consumed - still have the beer to go and there was a lot of it!!

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Good morning all,
    Back from my travels. Lots of good training going on but lots to read back on so I will leave my comments until after I have had a chance to read about what you have all been up to.
    I managed to get  a reasonable amount of running in before my ladies were up and about. Lots of hill work but the bigger challenge was all the steps, I must have climbed every tower in Tuscany.

We started off in Venice and as it was off season there were not too many tourists around and at 6 in the morning I had the streets to myself.
    Here is a route I did.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/MickC_bucket/VeniceSat.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/MickC_bucket/VeniceMapi.jpg

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

The streets were very narrow and lots of bridges and steps so hard on the old legs.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/MickC_bucket/bothv-1.jpg

• Options

Welcome back Mick - I understand only too well about climbing steps, very nice work out for the glutes!

TS Not fair! Your run sounds idyllic as well as hard work - but I'm sure I worked just as hard this morning. As evinced by the heart attack type symptoms, the shaky legs and aching ribs.

The unfair bit?
    My hour and a half at track probably only burned about 250 calories.

Just about cancelled out breakfast. Salmon, leeks, cabbage and broccoli and green tea to be exact. And two double espressos. And one square of dark chocolate. I know how to live, me.

However I now weigh 7st 13lb or less and I fair FLEW round that track...

PS Surely being airborne is cheating?

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/MickC_bucket/_CopyofIMG_0322.jpg

After a couple of days in Venice we drove to rural Tuscany where we had rented a house high up in the hills nestled in an olive grove. As you can see my runs from here could be described as a little hilly

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

When I ran out of the house again early in the morning the views were just incredible. I climbed up to a walled village on top of a hill/ mountain and then down into a park with trails around the outside of the village and then back up into the village to descend down to our house.

Here is a pic of the route.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/MickC_bucket/MontefollonicoMap.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/MickC_bucket/MontefollonicoSat.jpg

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

Welcome back Mick, sounds like you had a good time running and on visits.

TS sounded a lovely run this morning.

Ceal has certainly picked the right day to come down to the coast it is lovely down here.

Mothers Day lunch cooked by Hannah for Liz and Grandma, I was tolerated as the token male !!, but lunch was nice.

Lovely morning for running brilliant sunshine, a slight chill to the breeze but great views across the harbour and the countryside. For me a lower mileage day but the marathoners did about 12.5m.

I ran 8.81mi in 1.21.13, ave 9.13, ave HR131, wHR 63%

Mike T

• Options

Step by step for Sharkie's Sunday

We all compared notes about Thursday's session: the short reps (40s, 60s, 80s and starts) had left various aches and pains, as muscles were well and truly woken from their winter slumber - if they hadn't been before. Difficult for me to judge but apparently everything had been quick and aggressive, and as I still felt pretty knackered today then I reckon I'd run quite hard too.

A fairly intensive Pilates class on Friday and lots of step climbing meant I started today with a localised soreness right in the hamstring insertion - both sides. At least it was even.

Strides felt hard and a bit sluggish, but it was good to be able to remove three layers of clothing almost immediately.

After Thursday's short stuff P. said today it was time to stretch out a bit, hence another flat topped pyramid. 3 versions on offer mine being the titchy baby one.

Even titchy baby one bloody hard work, as evinced by the heart attack type symptoms, the shaky legs and and minor queasiness.

Daddy bear: 200, 300, 400, 400, 300, 200
    Mummy bear: 150, 220, 300, 300, 220 ,150
    Baby bear: 120,180, 250, 250, 180, 120

Everyone ran better than they hoped/expected. Recovering from last weekend's Half Mr.S was surprised with his two 65 second 400s. He thought they were up to 10 seconds slower. And our V40 (1:36 for the Half) was equally delighted with 59 seconds. Seeing as all he did was run through the mini hurdles then retire on Thursday. He said he hadn't run a sub 60 4 in training for quite a while, so it was a welcome surprise.

As for me, no times as such. But I know I was running well. The first 180 was particularly quick - that's when I thought I might well have a heart attack afterwards so heavily was everything inside my ribs reverberating. Chuck up city too. Ok, not quite, although some of the boys did by the end.

After that 180 I wasn't optimistic about the 2 x 250 but they went well. I waited until the 300 group were within 20 metres before I started and tried to keep it smooth. P. who almost caught me up - but didn't  - said I looked strong throughout and that I kicked on the final 80 metres - which was good to hear. I could hear them behind me as usual and thought 'right, push off that back foot, keep those arms going.' It must have worked, although I hadn't known I got faster, just felt I was holding it. 

Final 120 felt good too. But probably no faster than 23 or 4.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Welcome back Mick glorious pictures i can all imagine the runs with the bridges were hard on your legs. I think if memory serves me right on of the DTTers did the Venice Marathon last year or the year before that wasn't an easy run

Funny i was out on my run today (honest) and i thought wonder when Mick is due back

Empty nice run

I did 7.65 miles which i have somehow named the blisters route mainly it was this one last saturday i did when i got the mentioned blister. I was 12 seconds quicker today but i think it was a lot warmer. In fact when i woke today after my nightshift last night it was already warm out so i was deciding should i wait till sun goes down for my run now or do some warm weather training. So i went out. Practice if its warm on race day

7.65 miles
    1:12:40
    9:30 pace
    150 avg HR
    77% whr

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    9:34 142 166
    9:27 143 152 including 400m on grass
    9:40 148 157 another 400metre on grass
    9:20 151 156
    9:22 154 158
    9:33 154 162 half mile back on grass
    9:42 156 165
    5:59 151 154 about 9:14 pace downhill admittedly

In the 6th mile i actually stopped i saw this bird in the undergrowth strutting about doing bird like things it actually looked like a hen but didn't have hen like colours but i was thinking whats a hen doing in a place like this (in my best Lloyd Grossman voice)
  • Options

Afternoon all

Lots to read but I haven't got a brain to make sensible comment with at the moment (No comments, please!) so won't. If I do think any sense I'll say somethig later. Don't hold your breath.

Hogweed Hilly Half
    Nearly 2 mins slower than last year but that's ok.
    2:34:45. Av pace 11:45

11:09
    13:45
    10:11
    11:36
    10:15
    11:28
    10:59
    11:42
    15:52
    10:51
    10:47
    12:29
    12:14
    and 7:56 pace for the last 18 metres.

I leave you to work out where the hills are and if the approach to the finish is up or downhill.

Glorious sunshine and lovely views, plus a decent day's trading. Good refreshments as well.

Going for a loooong soak in the bath.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

I don't have time to comment on anything right now.

Except

K2
    well done on your half today. I know that must have been hard for you especially as it sounds as if you were working too.

AND

Welcome home MickC. I am loving the photo's.

More tomorrow for everybody else.