Over 60s training.

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Aws - love the picture very tranquil

TS - Too true about the overdressing. I believe Ron Daws (US marathoner)did just that according to his book Running your Best. To prepare for a hot weather marathon he would pile to layers on in training.

Todays run was meant to be an easy recovery run but the wind today made it less so

4.04 miles
    40:15
    9:58 pace
    138 avg HR
    68% WHR

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    10:15 127 144
    9:35 137 145
    10:02 145 153
    10:01 142 152
    0:20 142 143

Can you spot wgere the wind was?
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I don't think we are quite at 98000, close but not quite, unless I am being stupid instead of you!!!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

An easy 8 miles at 8:10 pace with an average WHR of 71% done. -5c and a very cold wind.
    Legs did not feel very smooth , all that sitting in aeroplanes

Jj,
     I agree 64 miles in a week is up there

• Ceal,

You're right.  There's 15 posts to go yet !

Sure was a right old windy afternoon for the run. The warmup mile was a battle against the headwind, after that almost all of Pennine trail run (roughly north to south and vice versa) had just the nuisance of a strong gusty cross wind. Otherwise it wasn't cold and the sun shone most of time.Lots of twigs and small branches strewn across trail.

10.23 headwind.....118/126
    10.18 x and backwind......123/132
    10.00 crosswind...............129/135
      9.37     do..........................131/139
      Half a minute pause then 180 degrees turn to retrace same 4 miles back.
      9.27 x-wind.......................135/144
      9.33     do..........................130/175 Spike Jones returns!
      9.58     do..........................153/175 Cocktails for two.
      9.41 backwind.................126/171 Spike went after start of 8 mile.
    I was glad of that backwind on last mile, beginning to feel rather knackeredimage

Total 8.1 miles

• MickC,

If you had more climbs like that Assisi your pic featured then I can appreciate what a drag it would be even when walking image

• Evenng all

Busy day today as I'm away for the next couple of days at a meeting. For once we have a rather nice hotel to stay in (Lodore Falls, Borrowdale) and the added interst of a visit to Flimby. For those of you wondering where on earth that is and why it should be intersting, I'll just say that it's near maryport in Cumbria, n the coast, has fabulous views and is where the New Balance factory is. I don't think we'll have time for a visit to the shop, though.

Shame there won't be time for a run.

Back on Thurs.  Behave yourselves while I'm away.

• good morning

K2
    enjoy - Lodore Falls is a very good hotel indeed and the restaurant there is verrry goodimage!!

Impey
    must have been tough in that wind all the time - even teh x wind was troublesome wasn't it
    Good miles in tough conditions

MickC
    looks like your holiday and hill work have done some good if you can zip round 8 miles at 8:10 pace.
    Good going
    I walkewd up that hill to St Assisi many years ago when the temperature was around 35C!!!!

Right - off now to add to the non pushing aerobic miles......................

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

K2
    havea  good time. Although no running and no New Balance shopping does rather put a dampener on the time away!

Impey
    I like the cocktails for 2 on mile 7!!

MickC
    sitting for long time on planes + jet lag is not a pleasant cocktail at all. No my friend is not a runner.

Pammie
    the wind was spotted.

aws
    impressive mileage for the week.

Gym done again and was much the same as last week. Hard! Simon took me again for my session, he is a hard taskmaster, pushing  me throught the programme as fast as possible!! Again he remarked on my body shape, what Stewart calls skinny he calls sculptured!

I am having a recovery week, and will be going to the track today for an easier session than normal.

• Morning all  image

ceal I think JJ was a page premature!!  he is now lurking ready to pounce  image   

managed an outing yesterday and then spent an hour fighting with the roots of a conifer ... my mother was concerned when i said 'It is coming out or the spade will die trying!'  I had already broken the handle of the fork ... not surprisingly I am a tad achey this morning!!

K2 if TS is recommending a restaurant it must be good him being a connoisseur (sp?)

MickC your photos are wonderful, I am not sure that the hills make me want to run though.

Lots of problems with the wind yesterday,it was bad here too.

Must dash, take care xx

• Good morning

PTP2 Day 37

6.33M; 1:16:24; 12:04/M; hr144 m154; 'easy' with middle 2M raised to >75%whr
    12:26 hr141 m148
    12:15 hr144 m151
    11:59 hr150 m154
    11:57 hr150 m154
    12:26 hr141 m150
    11:50 hr140 m147 downhill home stretch

Ba dom, ba dom, badom. Look where you're going Eccles!
    (Couldn't think of anything else to say!)

al

• Maggie - Them as likes to lurk, let 'em lurk, that's what I say.

BTW Your spelling is perfect, it's not French though.

al

• eghh by gum -  it were cold oot there.

I had waited a while, well did some work, whilst the sun hopefully warmed it up a touch but not a bit of it - the moderated wind had a really keen edge to it that made me wish that I had wore gloves - see I am turning into a southern softieimage

aws
    way to go - good overall pace. Maybe "we" should add another mile to this run as it's looking too easy for you.

• Ceal
    men ogling your body ehh??
    nice to hear your suffering is having some results even if Stewart does not approveimage!!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS
    I am playing delay tatics for the same reason, it say's it's 7c BUT the wind is so cold. I shall be wearing gloves as a confirmed southern softie.  
  • this ams run was meant to be slow and easy partly because I am running again tonight and have been promised a toughie but mainly because I did not want to overload

Bright but very cold, raw wind as I ran 6.55 miles in 55:32 (8:28m/m) and avHR 135 ((69%WHR) and a max of 148

1m 9:35 hr127 back to the big hill start
    2m 8:04 hr131
    3m 8:12 hr134
    4m 7:55 hr136
    5m 8:40 hr141  hipps hill
    6m 8:15 hr138
    .55 4:46 hr138 

quite smooth and easy

• Pammie
    yup windy conditions afoot for you as well
  • I suspect MAggie may be lurking .............
  • cealceal ✭✭✭

Congrats TS. No contestants at all. I expect JJ will send you a mouldy sandwich by the pidgeon carrier he uses.

I see a 7 lurked in your run this morning, That has to be good.

I can't delay any longer and am off right now.    

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Good morning all,
    A little warmer here today, -7c and sunny currently but the wind has dropped. I am hoping that it will be above freezing for my run.

ceal,
    I am not surprised that you and other people are seeing changes in your body. With your concentration on the total body, changes are inevitable. Over the 6 months since I have introduced core and strength exercises I too have seen subtle changes and a reduction in body fat. I have also increased my weekly mileage which have contributed.

TS,
    I cannot imagine climbing all those towers in 35c, very sweaty I would imagine.

A speed session today, 10k at race pace with the usual wu and cd.

Mick

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Track session done. It was cool with a cold wind, but the strength of the wind wasn't too bad. I've know much worse. But it was annoying nonethless.

I had decided to do a much shorter session than the last two weeks as it is a recovery week. So no pace to aspire to, just go for it. Which is what I did! I am fairly satisfied with my result. It turned out to be the fastest mile I have run in training and the fastest 800's that I have run in training. But I didn't find it an easy exercise. But then when is it ever easy!

I am disappointed that I don't have the HR details for my 2 x 1600 m's. My HR Monitor ended up around my waist and although I thought it read ok at the time the results on the graph are cobblers. I stopped after my 2 miles and tied a knot in the back of the elastic strap and it was ok for the 800's.

I couldn't decide on whether to take 2 mins or 3 mins active recovery, and in the end went for 400's which ended up somehwere between the two.  

I warmed up for 1.5  miles, which was 8.15 m milling with an av HR 118 and a MHR of 188, I think NOT!

A couple of pretty fast strides.

1600 m's, 6.48 mins, this didn't feel too hard.
    1600 m's, 6.50 mins, this did feel harder.

Most of the recovery now was spent tying a knot in my HRM strap. But did jog 100 m's.

800 m's, 3.22 mins, av HR 148, MHR 156
    800 m'S, 3.20 mins, av HR 148, MHR 157--I felt like my legs were stumbling around the track on this one, so was surprised to find it was faster than the first one.  

Cool down, av pace 8.49 mm, av HR 121

Total mileage for the session was 6.6 miles.  

Glad it is now over, but then that is how I always feel after a speed session. image

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Afternoon all

I see TS snuck in for the 98,000 post - hope he's ready for the sandwich image

Hope the weather warms up for you Mick, you seem to be back in the swing of it.

Tried out the new shoes with a "easy" 4.11mi in 35.06. ave 8.32, ave HR 135, wHR 67%. Seem to be drifting to new HR range for this pace, so base fightness must be improving.

Speed session could be challenging tonight if the wind continues to strengthen.

Maggie glad you are still getting out for your run/walks. Those conifers stumps can be a real challenge can't they.

Mike T  

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Hi MT,
    The forecast for tomorrow is great, +9c and sunny so I have a longer fun run planned with a friend. Good luck with your sesion tonight.

ceal,
    That was a good session, you only lost few secs between the 1600 and 800 pace, 4:15 per k compared with 4:11. I too am glad when my speed sessions are over but I also feel good about having done them.
    The snow here has receeded significantly since I left so the track that my speed group uses should be clear by Thursday night. It is only a cinder track as there are no true track surfaces avaible in the city for the public to use so it may be a little soft.

Mick

• cealceal ✭✭✭

MickC
    thanks. I did a much harder session last week, 9.5 miles which included 2k at half mara pace, 2 x 1 mile at 10k pace, 1k at 5k pace and 2 x 800 m's I was pleased with the session, running it faster than the previous week and it was a mile longer in the interval department.

However, today's much shorter session with more emphasis on the pace was quite a bit faster than last week. Last week I ran 7.17 min and 7.20 mins for the 2 x 1600, and 3.26 mins for each 800.

So this week my 1600 times were 29 secs faster for the first one and 30  secs faster for the 2nd one. The 800's were  4 & 6 secs faster.

Not sure what that all means as it was a much shorter session. But it is better than being slower!!! 

I hope your warmer weather happens for you tomorrow. Enjoy your 10k paced run today, just so you feel good afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Empty
    I can feel that wind on the seafront already. Your base fitness is getting better, that just has to be a good thing.  

• all these aerobic miles make me hungry so bring the sarnie on!!!

MickC
    cinder track?? Didn't know they still existed. Enjoy!

Empty
    new shoes out for a trial - that must be worth a couple of seconds per mileimage!

ceal
    good session again though I thought your 800's would be a tad faster as the differential with the 1600 pace is not great!!
    Nice to hear of the improvement in your training speeds - sounds excellent progress.

You still managed to run further than me!!!

That 7 just snuck in this am on mile 4 which is level  and I was just maintaining the same effort on all miles so it was ok - only 6 more to go!!

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS
    Yes it would have been good if the 800's had been faster, however, last week's 3.26 mins was the fastest that I have run 800's in training on the track. So today was a step up from that. Also my fastest training time for 1600 on track to date was 7.12 mins.

Maybe I am a one pace gal.  image 
  • so a big step up in the 1600 pace for you, excellent going - that will explain why the differential was eroded to the 800's

looks like you will have to join Sharkie in some sharpening sessions on the shorter distancesimage!!!

Time for some more running - Ripon this evening, nice and flat, historic and cold!!!!

Location - the Water Rat - a CAMRA pub of the year and good food as well

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS
    the menu looks good enough to eat! Don't go messing about in the river will you! Is it at Ripon, I have a friend who lives in Ripon village.

If I join sharkie in her sharpening sessions, I could chuck-upimage  But yes, I do need some shorter distance training but not until the end of April.