Over 60s training.

Comments

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Ceal - some impressive running,

K2 - enjoy. Near Maryport now that name rings a bell, one of my dads friends (also departed) came from there

TS - hope you are enjoying your tuna sandwich image

5.02 miles
    46:25
    9:14 pace
    146 avg HR
    75% WHR

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    9:23 135 149
    8:51 146 153
    9:12 149 159
    9:24 150 162
    9:19 149 153
    0:14 149 149

initially a bit disappointed as i seemed to slow down but reminded myself the route has plenty of undulations and was breezy in the middle mile But was done in a similar time and splits
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Speed session done, felt very good and may have over cooked it for a LT session

2009-03-24  6-305TCX Home12.7k, sun, 2c, cold wind, 10k at half mara pace

RUN SUMMARY
     Avg Pace =  4 mins 36.800 secs
     Fastest Lap Pace =  Lap 7 -  4 mins 29.
     Slowest Lap Pace =  Lap 8 -  4 mins 44.
     Total Selected Time =  46 mins 8.000 secs
     Total Selected Distance = 10.00 kms
     Selected laps  Average %WHR = 84.0

LAP DETAIL
     Lap03 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:37
     Lap03 Pace = 04:37 per km, 07:26 per ml
     Lap03 Avg HR = 149, %WHR = 72, Max HR = 152, Max %WHR = 74

Lap04 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:33
     Lap04 Pace = 04:33 per km, 07:20 per ml
     Lap04 Avg HR = 157, %WHR = 77, Max HR = 163, Max %WHR = 81

Lap05 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:40
     Lap05 Pace = 04:40 per km, 07:31 per ml
     Lap05 Avg HR = 160, %WHR = 79, Max HR = 168, Max %WHR = 85

Lap06 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:39
     Lap06 Pace = 04:39 per km, 07:30 per ml
     Lap06 Avg HR = 167, %WHR = 84, Max HR = 171, Max %WHR = 87

Lap07 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:29
     Lap07 Pace = 04:29 per km, 07:14 per ml
     Lap07 Avg HR = 167, %WHR = 84, Max HR = 172, Max %WHR = 87

Lap08 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:44
     Lap08 Pace = 04:44 per km, 07:37 per ml
     Lap08 Avg HR = 170, %WHR = 86, Max HR = 174, Max %WHR = 89

Lap09 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:34
     Lap09 Pace = 04:34 per km, 07:21 per ml
     Lap09 Avg HR = 172, %WHR = 87, Max HR = 174, Max %WHR = 89

Lap10 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:37
     Lap10 Pace = 04:37 per km, 07:26 per ml
     Lap10 Avg HR = 172, %WHR = 87, Max HR = 174, Max %WHR = 89

Lap11 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:34
     Lap11 Pace = 04:34 per km, 07:21 per ml
     Lap11 Avg HR = 174, %WHR = 89, Max HR = 175, Max %WHR = 89

Lap12 Distance = 01.00 km/00.62 ml, Duration = 04:36
     Lap12 Pace = 04:36 per km, 07:24 per ml
     Lap12 Avg HR = 173, %WHR = 88, Max HR = 176, Max %WHR = 90

Mick

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    MickC
    that is one fast training 10k. You were obviously pushing hard for the last 5k. The first 5k is only 3 secs faster than the 2nd 5k. I would say that was a bl**dy good run.  Was there a small hill in the 6th K? You must be very pleased with your run. I think that you have pushed it hard for LT training run. BUT if there was a 10k a race going then it would have been good to do one  before your half mara. and this will do just nicely. Did you run it on your own, or did you have some competitive company.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

ceal,
    Thanks your encouragement is always appreciated and yes there is a small climb into the wind at around 5.5k that is for about 300m. Surprisingly it did not feel as hard as it looks and I could have certainly carried on. It was an average 4:36 pace which would net me a 1:37 half. The question is could I hold the pace. The chart below shows a half mara race hr in blue and todays tempo in red. Based on that and how I felt I think I could.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb16/MickC_bucket/tempo-1.jpg

I was running on my own dressed in tights, gloves and 3 layers on top as the wind was very unfriendly so I am well pleased. If I had know I was that close to a sub 46 I could have easily dropped 8 secs on the last k.
  • EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Evening all

Ceal super set from you and a good step up in pace from last week.

Pammie good solid run again, your comeback is progressing well.

Mick great pace for a training run and it wil certainly stand you in good stead for your half.

Decided against the speed session tonight as I'd forgotten I'd got the last (my first) of the Chichester Challenge races. So went out with another group for a steady run, 6.98mi in 1.01.32, ave 8.49, ave HR135, wHR 67%.  

Mike T

• I was sadly too busy to lurk, otherwise it would have been my mouldy sarnie!

Managed to fit in another outing but will not get out tomorrow as I am taking mum back to Rugby.

Great running by ceal and MickC and you too pammie.

Mike is Chichester at the w/e? if so good luck.  How is Liz, has she managed to get out again this week?

I hope K2 is enjoying her trip.

• Talking of lurking...

• http://alanshelley.co.uk/91196HalfaLength14x10.jpg

... these guys aren't lurking!

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Maggie, Chichester is tomorrow evening. It's a "quick" ( well it was for Michael East last year) 4 lap 4.8k team event.

After being up all weekend Liz's feet are back up and she has spent the day in bed so no more outings yet but she is off to see Joseph at the theatre with a friend on Saturday afternoon.

Mike T 

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I did a 2.5 mile recovery run today at 11.41 min pace. I need to change battery in HR monitor as I only got a reading of 77bpm during the whole of my run.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Morning all.

JJ - Maybe I am super fit all of a sudden image

• Good morning

PTP2 Day 38

6.14M; 1:18:11; 12:44/M; hr136 m147; slow
    13:01 hr137 m144
    12:54 hr138 m142
    13:00 hr138 m146
    12:49 hr137 m147
    12:41 hr133 m142
    12:18 hr134 m142

Weird run! It was one of those days when the HR is unduly elevated and you wind up running slower than you think. It seems to have come to rights in the last 2 miles though.

JJ - Thanks. I always think the said artists' works are a tad idealised but I believe they were nearly all commissioned and that says it all. Peeps may want themselves painted warts and all, but do it to their animals and you get booted.

al

• Morning all image

aws your horses are excellent, great totp today.

Off to Rugby soon, just allowing the traffic on the M25 to subside.

Good luck at Chichester tonight Mike.  I hope Liz recovers from her mother's day w/e and enjoys Joseph on saturday xx

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

K2 - are you working at Expo this year?

aws - you make me feel lazy with all the running you are doing.

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Morning all

aws, sorry forgot to comment on picture which I thought catured the horses brilliantly. During the war my Mum got to know he artist Edward Seago, as he was a friend of her cousin, and has an autograph book full of pencil sketches of horses which are absolutely fantastic.

I was going to go for run this morning but Hannah has asked me to go to an information and opportunties day on working with children in the "social care" environment with her so not sure how long that will take.

Mike T

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

Empty
    if you have a race tonight, maybe it will be better not to run this morning as well.

Maggie
    have a good journey to Rugby. Stewart will be on the same roads as you today.

JJ
    2.34 mins for 600's is ok. Especially when you had to run 6 of them.

aws
    when one is a bit tired and running slow it is strange how after a few miles the HR drops and the pace gets better. Not sure why that happens.

I am having a recovery day today.

• good morning all - 'tis a beautiful day - well from inside at least

I am allowed to be expansive as it's my birthdayimage!!

MickC
    storming training run yesterday - great effort
    Indeed it's almost entirely a race performance so well done on turning it out solo and on a not very nice day either.
    When is your HM race - this should put you in very good shape for it?

aws
    just a bit of fatigue pushing up the base HR - you got the run done nicely in the end
    Those horses do not look as though they are hanging about either!!

I do think the Stuubbs that hangs in the National is one of the most visually arresting paintings I have ever seen. It not only dominates the space, it dominates the viewer with its poise and power

Ceal
    I think your friend would object to Ripon being called a village - it is a city with a very fine cathedral dominating the urban area!!!

Last night's run was very good. 5.85 miles of quite pacey runnig and a naughty trick played on me to celebrate my birthdayimage!

It is rumoured that I may have a slight competitive streak which manifests itself occasionally in raising the pace on the final stages of runs so that I am the first back to the pub no matter what.
    Well last evening I picked up the final sign "ON IN" which indicates that there are no other markings to the end and I thought it seemed a long way off the pub. Anyway I increased speed a tad just to keep the whippersnappers in their place and settled down to a steady cruise in.
    After about 100 yards a runner who would not normally be there comes up on my shoulder and says "come on old man you are lagging badly tonight".
    So of course I increase speed and drop him.
    Then a differernt runner comes up, says much the same thing and I respond in the same manner and then another and I am flying but wondering how they are all catching me up - I really must be slipping!!
    Then finally A .draws up on my shoulder -  a nicer, more uncompetitive girl it would be hard to imagine - and says "ooooohh Torque you are slowing down if I can catch you up!!""

At this the dishwasher joins the kitchen sink ,the pots, pans and everything else I had been throwing at the run-in and I am flying. Every fast twitch muscle is pouring out its power, the fatigue from the morning run is seeping into my fibres but I will not buckle. Garmin says I was doing 13.5mph over the last 0.25 miles and I believe it!!

Anyway the finish arrives and I can finally ease down and try and recover. Gasping for breath and doubled over in pain I hear laughter as my "pursuers" come in. They had sneaklily dropped off the run earlier and hid themselves in side roads along the final straight so that they could come out behind me, catch up for a while and push me on.

Swines!!!!

I could hardly drink any beer after that.................................

• .................. so this am 's run was always going to be hard!!

7.7 miles done in 67:31 and avHR135 with a brief max of 147 in the usual place

1m 8:40 hr124
    2m 9:01 hr135 uphill and feeling last nights effort!!
    3m 8:25 hr135
    4m 8:59 hr136
    5m 8:59 hr137 consistent but very tired
    6m 9:07 hr140 Hipps HIll
    7m 8:05 hr139
    .7m 6:12 hr140 done in now....

surprised I even managed the distance and the pace was all I could wring out of very tired legs

• Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Just popping on to wish TS a very happy birthday image
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS
    Happy Birthday, surely it is not a year since your last one.  

I love your story from last night. Your friends must have had great fun doing such an evil deed. How could they!!!! You were certainly moving. It curbed your beer drinking, that's not goodimage Anyway the tale was told very well and I enjoyed reading it.

Oh dear Ripon is a city!!!! there is a small village in Derbs called Ripon  and so guess I presumed that all Ripon's were villages!!! They actually live at Thornton Stewart.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Good morning,
    A beautiful day today, suppose to be going up to +12c but it is -5c at the moment.

aws,
    Great pic

TS,
    A very happy birthday, is it 62 or 63 or more bluntly are you older than me? I enjoyed your story I had a similar trick paid on me some years ago but it is fun to laugh at yourself.
    My first half is April 26th so I still have a bit of time to sharpen for race day hence the focus on the longer tempos. Yesterday's run was a little strange as I felt comfortable with the pace and was holding myself back throughout. I am usually good at holding a particular pace and yesterday I was trying to run in the low 4:40s per k ie half race pace, but everytime I looked at my watch it was sub 4:30. Based on how I felt I was surprised to see my hr so high but still a good tempo run for me. 

MT,
    I didn't realise you have a race tonight but the very best of luck for it, hopefully the weather will be a little more friendly.

Mick

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Just popping in (just got up)

TS - A very Happy Birthday to you sir. Enjoy your day. It is a good day today, my parents married on this day, the girl next door has a birthday as well. All in all a good day indeed
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Pammie,
    Yes Pammie it is a good day today, especially so as it is 'wake up the Bonnie' day as well. That will be my labour of love this afternoon.

Easy 9 miler done today, legs were tired for the first 10k but then brightened up and felt good by the end.

Mick

• thank you all for your good wishes - I am staggered by how many presents arrived for meimage!!!

MIckC
    I am 63
    Good miles today after your hard run yesterday. Your legs are entttled to feel tired!!
    Hope the Bonnie starts!

Ceal
    Do you mean Thornton Steward - if so it's about 15 miles north of Ripon - very near to Masham, home of Black Sheep and Theakston breweries!!!

• TS Happy Birthday  imageimageimageimageimage  Lovely story from last night, they clearly know you well!!

Back from Rugby, (ignoring JJ's comment about playing and hookers!) journey up was great we went out to the burial ground to 'viist' my brother but it was far too blustery and showery to picnic today.  Journey back was not so good, accident on the M40 slowed me down to a crawl, had to turn the radio up and sing loudly, can only do that where nobody can hear!!  Saw lots of rainbows on the way home including one where I could see a 'whole' one, very pretty!

MickC good to hear you are 'waking' up the Bonnie  image

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS
    Yes Thornton Steward, I see I put Stewart, understandable though I think!

Maggie
    Glad you are home safe and sound.

MickC
    Good running after hard effort yesterday.