Options

Over 60s training.

Comments

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

Empty - Good luck with your Sunday 10K.

Maggie - Well done for getting out in the grotty weather. It's never easy, is it?

Pammie - Another one with a race coming up soon. Good luck and I hope the wind doesn't spoil it too much.

ceal - Two good track sessions there, especially that horrendous-sounding one on Tuesday!

Mick - Hadn't realised you had a bike, and such a beauty! I'm very envious. I used to have a Honda 125 and got a lot of pleasure riding it locally, as well as taking it on tour to the south of France (I know, mad on such a small bike, but I managed OK). I've toyed with the idea of getting another one but am not sure I'd get out often enough to justify the cost involved.

TS - Blimey, I can see from your times how strong that wind must have been!

JJ - Congratulations on avoiding that committee place. I'm on my local RSPB one and they can be a bit of a bind!

aws - Excellent painting of those horses - you're truly versatile as a painter.

K2 - Sounds like you had a great trip and picked up some bargains too.

Tracey - We're toying with the idea of buying a caravan having been inspired by a programme about the history of caravanning recently.

Impey - All the best for you too for your 10K race.

I paid the price in my club run on Monday for doing a bit more mileage than usual last week. Didn't feel on good form at all but got a second wind and didn't finish too badly.

Today I braved the wind and did a slightly hilly country-lane 10 miles. Mostly sunny though - a couple of showers passed nearby but missed me luckily. It was hard-going at times and I was satisfied with a time of just under 90 minutes.

Not good news about Katy's hip. It felt a lot better and she tried it out on Tuesday but it came on quite painful again after a couple of miles. She's really frustrated but has booked a physio appointment.

Big day tomorrow as it's my wife Margaret's last day at work. She's thrilled to bits to be going, even though she enjoyed her job.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

I will have to read back in a moment and comment that is if I can remember what I have read.

Club night tonight.

3.21 miles

1.42 (8.03 pace for .21m.)

• Options

JJ - Obviously you should stay out of the kitchen.image

Thanks, everybody, for approving comments about the painting of horses. I'm looking for some pencil sketches I did a while back that you might like too.

al

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Club run was scheduled as 10m steady but the only problem is whose steady pace !!

Pleasant run with only the last mile along the promenade where it affected. Splits were

1)  - 1m - 8:31(8:31/m) - 153bpm avge  - 170bpm max - 123cal
    2)  - 1m - 8:18(8:18/m) - 139bpm avge  - 146bpm max - 126cal
    3)  - 1m - 8:35(8:35/m) - 137bpm avge  - 147bpm max - 122cal
    4)  - 1m - 8:11(8:11/m) - 142bpm avge  - 148bpm max - 127cal
    5)  - 1m - 9:18(9:18/m) - 130bpm avge  - 142bpm max - 121cal - affected by crossing major road
    6)  - 1m - 8:19(8:19/m) - 137bpm avge  - 145bpm max - 126cal
    7)  - 1m - 8:10(8:10/m) - 138bpm avge  - 150bpm max - 126cal
    8)  - 1m - 7:46(7:46/m) - 143bpm avge  - 148bpm max - 125cal - rejoined by faster group !!
    9)  - 1m - 8:13(8:13/m) - 135bpm avge  - 149bpm max - 115cal
    10)  - 1m - 8:06(8:06/m) - 140bpm avge  - 142bpm max - 126cal
    11)  - 0.37m - 3:03(8:14/m) - 140bpm avge  - 142bpm max - 47cal   

10.37 in 1.26.30, ave 8.20, ave HR 139, wHR 71%

Graham hope your wife has a good last day. Shame about Katy's hip when she'd been running so well, I'm the physio will be able to help.

Mike T

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Graham,
    Congrats to your lady. I hope you both enjoy your new freedom.
    I cannot imagine touring on a 125cc bike, you must have a cyclists bum.

MT,
    Looks like your garmin misbehaved on the first mile. A nice 10 miler in the bag.

Speed session done.

2009-03-26  6-305TCX SpeedGroup, 5c, rain, Intervals 4 x 2k at half pace with 2 min active recovery, felt easy

RUN SUMMARY
     Avg Pace =  4 mins 33.570 secs
     Fastest Lap Pace =  Lap 5 -  4 mins 22.
     Slowest Lap Pace =  Lap 2 -  4 mins 35.
     Total Selected Time =  39 mins 18.560 secs
     Total Selected Distance = 8.62 kms
     Selected laps  Average %WHR = 82.5

LAP DETAIL
     Lap02 Distance = 02.00 km/01.24 ml, Duration = 09:11
     Lap02 Pace = 04:35 per km, 07:24 per ml
     Lap02 Avg HR = 154, %WHR = 75, Max HR = 164, Max %WHR = 82

Lap05 Distance = 00.46 km/00.28 ml, Duration = 01:59
     Lap05 Pace = 04:22 per km, 07:02 per ml
     Lap05 Avg HR = 162, %WHR = 81, Max HR = 167, Max %WHR = 84

Lap06 Distance = 02.00 km/01.24 ml, Duration = 09:07
     Lap06 Pace = 04:33 per km, 07:20 per ml
     Lap06 Avg HR = 166, %WHR = 83, Max HR = 172, Max %WHR = 87

Lap08 Distance = 02.00 km/01.24 ml, Duration = 09:07
     Lap08 Pace = 04:33 per km, 07:20 per ml
     Lap08 Avg HR = 168, %WHR = 85, Max HR = 173, Max %WHR = 88

Lap10 Distance = 02.16 km/01.34 ml, Duration = 09:51
     Lap10 Pace = 04:33 per km, 07:20 per ml
     Lap10 Avg HR = 168, %WHR = 85, Max HR = 175, Max %WHR = 89

I messed up the distances so I finished up running a little further. An easy workout could have done more even though they were faster than half mara pace. I suspect I should have done them a little quicker.
    I know the plan was to run them at half pace but that felt too slow.

Mick

• Options
    EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Morning all

Good luck to all running LFOTM today.

Mike T

• Options

Good morning

PTP2 Day 40

4.11M; 52:51; 12.51/M; hr133 m146; slow... slow
    12:55 hr137 m146
    12:48 hr135 m141
    12:58 hr133 m140
    12:52 hr129 m139

Having established a rhythm I ran as evenly as I could judge without looking at the HR. I like the way the HR comes down over the course of the run. Had I let HR control my pace I suppose I would have gradually got faster.

al

• Options

http://alanshelley.co.uk/91208KentWeald6x4.jpg

Kent Weald

for something more normal.

• Options

good morning

good racing to anyone doing LFOTM - hope it's less windy there than here

Empty/MickC
    both every good training sessions in different ways but the common thread weas there was no sign of distress!!!!

Maggie
    well done on not being a wimpimage - and pulling a stump out for a second time!!

Graham
    excellent 10 miles there.
    best wishes to the last working day girlimage!

Katy's hip does sound like ITB inflamamation which can manifest itself anywhere along the ITB. Many years ago I had a big swelling on my ankle bone and the physio treated my hip to relieve the irritation on the ITB

The kindest thing one could say about the weather today was that it was not as bad as yesterday - which is not saying much and the driving rain only came down once!

9.15 miles done in 80:21 (8:49m/m) and avHR134(68%WHR) and a max of 147 so it was  pretty slow plod to keep HR within aerobic conditioning constraints

1m 9;51 hr128 back to tough northern guy uphill start - sheltered from wind!!
    2m 8:04 hr133
    3m 8:19 hr135
    4m 8:35 hr135
    5m 8:41 hr135
    6m 9:07 hr137 full on head wind on the Stray
    7m 8:45 hr 135
    8m 9:06 hr141 Hipps HIll, tiring
    9m 8:40 hr136

job done is how best to describe it

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Hello

TS
    i see you have run today your average mileage for the last couple of weeks, the magic 9. More aerobic miles under your belt.

Empty
    good training in the wind.

Mickc
    your speed has obviously moved up a notch or two or even three.

Graham
    As TS says above I expect Katy's hip problem will be down to a tight ITB. I did say as such a lot of pages ago.

I got out in the wind and ran an easy 3 miles, 27 mins, av pace 9.07 mm, av HR 112. Then finished with some short strides, I managed one sub 6 m milling at the end which was what I was trying to achieve.  

• Options
    Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Thanks people for the encouragement I am feeling very confident in breaking 1:40 for the half. I have a month to go and my current plan calls for more longer tempos at race pace and longer intervals. I think I am ahead of schedule so I am not sure what would be best to focus on for the next four weeks. I am clearly very comfortable with 10k at fster than race pace and 2k intervals at faster than race pace
    I will definitely keep the mileage in the 50 mile a week range but what speed work would be best?

I would like a race but none are available until the week before and I am not too sure about that.

Mick

• Options
    Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭

ceal - Yes, thanks. I picked up on your comment about ITB for Katy and passed it on to her at the time.

MickC - I certainly don't remember suffering backside-wise on my bike tour. The small engine size wasn't really a problem either as I was happy to take my time and bumble along at 45-50 mph. Having come from a cycling background, having any kind of engine to carry one up even the steepest hill was pure bliss. Don't know if you've read "Jupiter's Travels" by Ted Simon, an account of his journey round the world on a Triumph? One of the best travel books I've ever read, and I've read a lot. When we were in Coventry a couple of years ago I went to the transport museum there where the original bike is on display.

• Options

For those who would like to see the horse sketches I mentioned here is the link

http://alanshelley.co.uk/horses.htm

I haven't posted them direct on here because they would take up too much room and I have a feeling that not everyone is very keen on having my artwork on open display anyway.

al

• Options
    MickC Excellent photos of Tuscany. The first one - the house in the hills - reminds me that one of Mr.S's oldest friends is just about to relocate to Italy. He bought a house in the Umbrian countryside many years ago and has finally renovated it. It looks quite like your pic. Italian hols ahoy for me and Mr.S.!

You are looking very sharp for your projected Half. Confidence ahoy!

Scupltured/sculpted Ceal
    Some fab sessions from you missis. My but you were motoring on those mile reps! Fastest mile in training is really something for you. I know you race MUCH faster than you train as a rule.

Maggie
    Great to see you out and about. I imagine a few frustrations were excavated along with the recalcitrant conifers!

Rainbows were especially for you I think.

TS Sorry I missed your birthday. Many belated happies anyway. And that's an most effective trick played by your running friends. Just think of the training benefit! How else could you get to put that much effort in? image

K2 Yum venison! I love it.

Empty and Diana Good luck for Sunday. May you both storm it. But let that be the only mention of storms. Weather looks better for Sunday than Saturday anyway.

Graham  I love your occasional travellers tales. They always sound like 'proper' adventures to me.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Race report i shall try and catch up later

Got there spoke to a few peeps, Got dressed and went and did my warm up, thankfully i reckoned the wind would behind us in that last 200 odd metres to the finish

This would have been interesting not done any fast running since the January race so it would be interesting in what would happen.

Race started, legs feel sluggish normal i guess but just try and keep some rhythm thinking picking feet of the ground, just picking people off one by one. Round the first bend thought i heard someone call my name thought i was imaganing things, looked tound couldn't see anyone (well there were people around lol) thought it might be a club mate. But no

Into the 2nd km along by the Serpentine. Boy oh Boy Very strong headwind. This continues to past the 2km mark and till we got past the first bridge, (for those who know the route) still windy beyond here but not as bad. Definitely slowed down. But keep going

Didn't see the 3rd km but know i have passed it . Work towars 4th km think form, think you can do it . Get passed by my namesake who i passed earlier this spurs me on to move the legs faster. I didn't catch her but finished under 26 minutes which considering the conditions and virtually no speedwork i can live with

stats

Split time Avg. HR
    5:07 150
    5:17 162
    Didn't see 3rd km

8:22 163 (1 mile)
    2:09 166 to 4th km (10:29 for kms 3 & 4)

4:55 165

Glad to get under 5mins for last km

25:52 altogether (always like a bit of symmettry)

Found out who was calling me afterwards when i spoke to her afterwards. Remember Ratcatcher. Those who have been here a while will know her. Sharkie too maybe as she is a Serpie
  • Options

Well battled in the wind Pammie.
    I can well imagine ks 1.5 - 2.5. Eeeeeeeek.

Yes I know her very well. She's a lovely person and an excellent runner too. She did once, after a LFOTM,  tell Mr.S it didn't look like he was trying hard enough! Nice one Val!

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pammie
    A bit of a windy battle, but we all know what that course is like when it's windyimage. Well done for creeping in under 26 mins especially since your training has been severely compromised of late. How was your name-sake, did you chat with her after the race?

sharkie
    many thanks for the sculptured compliment, and of course the mile rep compliment too.  
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    aws
    Horses are hard to capture when moving. There are a a lot of early horse paintings in a National Trust House (can't think of the name right now) near Northampton. Some are quite crude and have no movement in them at all. But they have an appeal, nonetheless.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Ceal - which 10k are you doing on Sunday?

I had a lovely sports massage today. My legs feel so lovely now.

• Options

ceal  yes, see below

http://www.lessbounce.com/acatalog/Minimal_Bounce_Heart_Rate_Monitor_Bra.html

Me today
    I have been doing lots of Pilates so this shouldn't happen but my lower back is rather achey at the moment. I'm a bit surprised as I don't suffer from any sort of back probs as a rule. Also a slight recurrence of the hip/QL problem. Damn! It would seem that the only thing that cures all niggles is making sure I do my three tough track speed sessions a week! I only get niggles when I'm not there.

I'm in London and as it's now 5 days since Sunday's Hastings track I thought I would cycle up to Finsbury Park this morning. Cold and quite windy, but at least the wind was down the home straight.

I wasn't very optimistic as I went through my drills. I felt a tiny bit shakey, and wondered if I had eaten enough breakfast. One of my rare excursions into Cereal Land: was I feeling the lack of my usual morning protein fix? I told myself it was probably psychological as I had devoured a whole roast chicken leg last night. But instead of 3 x (150 and 120) I decided to do 120s and 100s. The session was what the gang had done on Tuesday and it's entirely possible Pete would have told me to run the shorter distances anyway.

Lap walk between pairs, shorter recovery between 120 and 100.

And it was alright. In fact it was quite alright.

First set 23 for the 120 (bit slow but sort of 'feeling' it.)
    100m - 17. Ok, not bad

Pushed more on the second set with added yelping.
    21 Yippee! And 16. Double yippee!

Third set another 21. This was a real push and I think did me in for the final 100 on which I could only make another 17.

Of course the timings aren't very accurate. Could be 16.9. But then again could be 16.1. Although that would be too much to ask..

Also - stat fans - fat percentage down to 17.4 this morning. The bodyfat scales are another device that's less than accurate but the trend is there.

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Graham - sorry to hear about Katy's ITB

Sharkie - Ratcatcher is indeed lovely and a good runner too. I have read some of her race reports over the years

Ceal - Yes spoke with Pam before and after the race think she happy with todays result getting under 26 minutes, though the results are now live

Sharkie - Sounded a good session from you but i am always impressed with your sessions i always remember you zipping past me in the last 100metres at LFOTM
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

JJ/Ceal - I think you made the right decisions not to do Serpies today.

Pammie - Serpies just gave you a nice speed session, which is probably just about enough for you right now.

• Options

Hi all,

Unable to get on due to another disconnection so doing this on notepad for time being.

Pammie,

Well done despite being windy you made a very good time.  With the absence of wind you would most likely have subbed 25mins!

JJ,

Good move in avoiding Serpie and totting up more miles with a strong 9+ miler.

Ceal,

Looks rather strange  to see you doing a 3 mile for a change.  A terrific surge when you got 6min miling at one stage.The 10k this weekend is 3 laps x 2
     miles starting and finishing at Don Valley stadium,Sheffield....so not that far to travel !  Not done this one for 5 years as this is our club
    club's annual marshalling job but we are told there are plenty of helpers this time.

TS,

Good Northern grit managing the 9 miles with the wind still a nuisance feature.

Graham,

Ah motor-bikes!  In my early twenties I rode an Excelsior 97cc, a James 150c and my favourite (you could go to dances and functions in a suit
      without getting soiled with having the full fairing) the Ariel Leader 250cc. Then after crashing into a herd of cows one night resulting in 
    me being in hospital for a week I did a change soon after to four wheels and enjoyed the comparative safety of a Morris Mini.

Finished the week's taper with a 3 mile plus 1 mile walk/jog.  Nice and easy pace. Easy? Well it didn't really feel easy trying to keep pace
     at a slower rate.  Don't know why that is.  Anyhow miles were 10.39, 10.59, 10.20 with the "fartlek" jog/walk 11.49
    Rest tomorrow.

• Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Morning all.

I have only done 5.71 miles this week so far. Not going to add much doing the Fetch Mile this afternoon.

• Options

Good morning

PTP2 Day 41

18.09M; 3:57:03; 13:06/M; hr134 m147; slow! ! ! !
    13:18 hr133 m140
    13:03 hr133 m138
    13:03 hr133 m137
    13:19 hr133 m140
    13:19 hr136 m140
    12:39 hr129 m136 downhill
    12:42 hr132 m137
    13:13 hr135 m142
    13:06 hr134 m144
    12:35 hr137 m145
    13:01 hr132 m137
    13:16 hr133 m140
    12:58 hr133 m143
    12:48 hr133 m141
    12:38 hr142 m147
    14:22 hr137 m144 uphill
    13:23 hr132 m138
    13:06 hr132 m138

What a sad and sorry tale all that makes.

That's 43.87miles this week.

al

• Options

good morning

Pammie
    tough battle against the wind for you - did wll after your set backs to figure so strongly. Good going

aws
    thta looks perectly fine to me at teh end of another 40+ mile week
    You finished stongly despite the hill and kept your HR drift under control which shows just how far your fitness has improved. Very good going

Impey
    Now don't go out and buy a motor bike - nostalgia ann't all its cracked up to beimage

Good luck in the race tomorrow -  track finish sounds good.
    Know what you mean about running slow - see below!!

Empty/Diana
    have a good one tomorrow - hope it stays fine and no wind!!

Sharkie
    thanks for belated wishes and nice to see the yelping is helping you. Maybe its time to change to a grunt????

Just an "easy " 3 miles this am to try and move some of the fatigue - some hope!!

3.1 miles in 27:28 and avHR127(62%WHR) and a max of 139 verrrry briefly

1m 8:52 hr 120
    2m 9:14 hr 136 slight uphill
    3m 8:59 hr 132

felt hard running slow but we will see tomorrow

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

aws
    How can running 18 miles be a sad and sorry story. Apart from being on your feet for nearly 4 hours of course. Well done, young man. Perhaps the next couple of long runs it would be a good idea to plan your breakfast and run them at the time you would start FLM, just so your body gets used to the idea as to what is expected of it. Of course the evening meal the night before is important too, so plan that in addition to the brekka.

JJ
    pleased to hear that you appreciate my behind. Good running yesterday, both in distance and pace.

Impey
    Good Luck tomorrow. the much slower running feels hard because it isn't your normal relaxed pace.

sharkie
    well done for getting out and doing a session on your own.

Tracey
    I look forward to your report on your 1 mile race. 

Graham
    I hope the Physio gets to the root of Katy's problem hip. When one ups the distance or pace it can take a couple of weeks for the body to adjust to the new demands made on it.

MickC
    I would perhaps think about reduciong your mileage a little for the 2 weeks before the race.