Over 60s training.

Comments

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

aws - that is a good luck run. It is very windy outside this morning.

Ceal - I am going for the cake. But will tell you all about my mile race. Not the best weather for it, but it will be a pb anyway as it is my first mile race.

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Impey,
    Ariel Leader, wasn't that a two stroke twin that sounded like cats in a tin can.

aws,
     18 miles is up there, very well done.

Pammie,
    Well done on your serpies, any complaints from your calf.

ceal,
    Yes backing off a bit towards the end is a good idea but I have 4 weeks left so the next two I will be pushing the mileage closer to 60.
    Do well in your race but of course you will.

An easy 8 miler for me yesterday, recovery from two intense speed sessions this week. I have my long run today and it looks like a beautiful day so it should be a good one.

Mick

• cealceal ✭✭✭

JJ
    I haven't said which race I am doing!!!!!

It is in fact Brooklands, where they test the Mercides Benz, flat and twisty.  Not measured last year, but I have double/triple checked t and it has been done. Not at all sure what to expect from the race. Am I just keeping up with my age or will I be a little faster. It is an early race, 9.15 am which of course is 8.15am to my body tomorrow! Due to clocks doing their bit.

MickC
    There is an interesting enlightening article on tapering in Running fitness which arrived yesterday. I will tell you the relevants bits of it, but not right now. But I promise in the next few days that I will do so.

Tracey
    enjoy the cakeimage

• Good afternoon  image  .... have I missed cake?  For any chocoholics out there I would highly recommend hotelchocolat.co.uk Lizzie and I visited a shop in nottingham and she bought me some mother's day choccies, they were reduced because of a short date so I have to eat them image  they are wonderfu!

Pammie were you the onlythread racer at LFOTM, that must be unusual.  Well done to you, good running despite the wind and recent hamstring (?) probs.

aws your 18 miles may have been slow but as this took you to almost 44 for the week it looks good to me, ceals advice about timing of food seems like a good idea.  Mike is racing for NSPCC this year, I haven't made plans but as long as the weather looks ok will probably go and watch.

MickC/Impey I thought Ariel Leader was a top brand of washing powder but obviously not  image

sharkie doing her own thing!?  sounds good  image

Good luck tomorrow ceal.  And any other racers!

•  .... have also been out for a very blustery walk/run, cass on lead as very competitive man playing football with his son, she could have ruined his fun, mind the kid might have been grateful!!
  • JJ,

I'm running the Reading Half tomorrow at marathon pace (with a 2 mile warm up and a 6 mile steady run straight after). I can practise a few 'marathon things' during the race..........

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Well I did do my first every mile race, not a great time. I did it in 8.35, but it was raining (could not see out of my glasses), windy and hail stone on the first lap on the bend before the home straight. We all did the 400m after the mile races, which I did in 1.52. On the good side there was lots of cake to be eat image

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Tracey
    did you enjoy the experience? The wind and the hail stones don't sound very enchanting. Tough call running a 400 after a mile race. is that the fastest mile you have ever run, looking at splits in 5k races etc. Or have you run  a mile faster than that, in better conditions. It takes a bit of getting used to, running flat out for a shorter than than one is used to.  You sound as if you really enjoyed the cake. Well done you.   
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Ceal - I should have done the mile at least 8.15. My hands were freezing cold in my running glooves and very painful. It did the 400m for fun after the mile because everyone was doing it. The final 100m was in to a head wind. It is lovely and bouncy running on the running track, so I enjoyed that bit. It was great to meet up with other Fetch runners. There was some lovely home made cake.

Pammie did very well.

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Calling Pammie. how did you do?

Tracey
    It is difficult to run fast when one's hands are cold. Before a mile race one needs to be warm, both hands and the rest of one's body. As an endurance runner which you are, this requires a warm up of a mile or more then some fast strides possible followed by a fairly fast 400 m's. Then one is well warmed up and ready to race a mile. If one is TS with lots of  fast twitch fibres then I expect he can launch right into a mile race from cold. But for us with more slow twitch fibres then we need to warm up well. I am pleased to hear that you liked running on a track. I still remember very well the first time I ran and raced on track, I loved it and still do.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

I did about 500m warm up.

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Tracey
    nothing like long enough.
  • Tracey, you did well but perhaps with ceal's warm-up advice you will get your 8:15 next time  image 

The hail was horrible and it felt very cold here when the sun disappeared, definitely wintery, brrr!

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    There was no time to warm up as the first race started.
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    PAMMIE where are you?
  • Well done Tracey - that sounds pretty nasty on the whole! Running on track = lovely, running in hailstorm on track = not so lovely. Glad the cake was class.

I was going to do a run/walk today but it is so cold and grim out there I decided to Stay in and Salsa with Kelly Brook and Shakira instead. Hips Don't Lie indeed. I will do myself an injury trying to move that fast! Oh hang on a minute fast moving is the general idea....

Edit ... How could I nearly forget?
    GOOD LUCK tomorrow on the measured course, Ceal. Weather looks much improved by morning.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    sharkie - I was thinking of you today at the track. My finger tips were freezing and painful as they warmed up.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭

Tracey
    I warm-up outside of the track, along the road, pavement, any where.

Thanks sharkie, yes forecast is a little better. Thank goodness.  Sounds like you have got a new DVD? Did you see the Rooney goal, passed by Beckham?

• Same old DVD ceal - it was just time I moved on from the foxtrot! I have now also 'mastered' two Tracy Anderson routines. I am getting a bit tired of jumping jacks with added arm movements.

I was working most of the afternoon (making up for going to track yesterday) so managed to miss the footie. Was it on terrestrial anyway? Probably not. perhaps I will see some of it tonight.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

did someone callimage

Sorry stopped at the chippy on the way home

I did a mile warm up beforehand and was talking with another fetchie. I was in the 2nd race and was asked by the fetchie i was chatting to if i wanted her to pace me she knew my pb was 7:37 and she was talking about 7:30 wasn't really expecting to run that fast but i thought why not.

She was good wind was bad on the final bend each lap was already breathing heavily on 2nd lap, On the final lap she said when i say now to really go for it i felt i was running in top gear but i think you can almost always find another gear. Finished pumping my arms as quick as i could and finished looked at my watch in disbelief 7:27 a whole 10 second pb

my hands were totally frozen afterwards had no feeling in them took a while to get them warmed up

Later we did a 400metre race as Tracy said that hurt but just went for it got to the final 100m when legs turned to jelly Kaz passed me could not respond but finished in 1:39 (just one second behind. Its still a pb as its my debut at the distance

• Nice one Pamstellina!

Great to duck under each progressive half minute. Who was the helpful Fetchie? She did a very good job with you!

Isn't there a law: the shorter the race the longer the warm up?

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Fantastic Pammie. Well done.  A very good pb.  sharkie and I know all about the jelly legs to which you refer to at the end of the 400, it seems to happen at about 320 m's. They area  speciality of  the 400 m race. . TS told me of  a Japanese word for jelly legs which when translated means laughing legs.

sharkie
    sorry I didn't realise, the game was on Santana.  Or whatever the Channel is called.

Now I am going to watch the cycling on BBC 2. 

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Sharkie - Trin, she was really helpful, she paced someone else in the final race
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Mick - Sorry i forot, but no adverse reaction from the calf she's behaving herself
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I shall look out for Eric, yes it is his old home territory. I forgot that I had mentioned it at the last LFOM race.  
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Thanks all

Tracey you did really well today and thanks for the cheering