Over 60s training.

Comments

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

aws,
    Speed work can tighten up the legs, one thing I have found to be very helpfully in keeping my legs feeling fresh is to do some dynamic stretching before you do them. I do them before all of my speed sessions and it dos seem to work for me. If your neighbours think you are a little weird wait until they see doing these exercises. I also do a few strides just before I start the speed session.

Graham,
    Your day together sounded wonderful, good luck to both of you with your retirement together. I still have a couple of years to go before we both can turn our backs on the rat race.

Mick

• Mick - A day trip to Durham Cathedral from Bermuda sounds just the ticket.

Thanks for stretching tip, but yuck! I prefer my old faithful roller massage before every training run and races when it's feasible; except I'm not much of one for races, as you may have noticed. When I do one it has to be the BIG ONE.

al

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

I am happy now that I have done my 20 mile long run at last. My total mileage for the month is 107 image

• Total for March=164.47miles

al

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    aws - that is an impressive amount of miles image
  • impressive tantrum sharkie and it worked  image

It was warm today but not much sunshine, I went out again and could almost call it a run/walk  image 

Just heard on the news about the naked runner in Paris, running with a 10ft pole  image

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

aws,
    Nice mileage, beat me I only manged 160 miles with 2 LSR and 6 speed sessions.

Easy recovery 8 miler for me, complete with iPod at 64% and 8:40 pace.

Mick

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Maggie
    what a show offimage

Yes I saw it too.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Maggie,
    It has to be a Brit but a 10' pole, that is a big one.
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Groan, how could I have done that
  • sorry Mick, actually he was a French pole vaulter  image
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    JJ - when are you of on your hols?
  • You (mostly) know that I will soon be a fully paid-up member of the thread. I am not asking for presents but I am giong to be doing some fundraising. Some of you also know that a young colleague of mine has been diagnosed with malignant melanoma. He went for a scan yesterday and will have had the results today. Whatever they are, they will not be good. It was bvery hard seeing him walk out of work on his way to get them.

I'm supportung Marie Curie Cancer Care so if anyone would like to help me, here's the link                  K2's fundraising year

G'night. Back tomorrow.

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

Evening all

Mick great top of the page image

Tracey well done on your 20 miler, as JJ says I wouldn't do any more now before the big day you've been so consistent in your training you'll be fine.

K2 I had your colleagues results are as positive as they can be.

Tonights club session was a 20min threshold run. The course was a triangle
    Side 1 - 0.48mi in the main flat
    Side 2 - 0.41mi mainly a steady uphill
    Side 3 - 0.22mi down then flat

Splits for the 20 mins
    4)  - 1m - 6:36(6:36/m) - 155bpm avge  - 163bpm max - poss chased the faster guys a bit too keenly 
    5)  - 1m - 6:54(6:54/m) - 162bpm avge  - 163bpm max - trying to keep relaxed 
    6)  - 0.95m - 6:41(7:02/m) - 161bpm avge  - 162bpm max - part side 3, all side 1 plus half side 2 so hard finish

Total 7.58mi in 1.00.13, ave 7.56, ave HR 146, wHR 75%

Total for month 155 which I'm pleased with, given the number of NRD's at the moment.

Mike T   

• Further trouble with laptop.  The power supply which  replaced  the original a month ago ha decided to let me down.  Have taken it back to PC World and now I have to wait possibly for another week before I get the second replacement. Oh...what a palaver!

JJ/Ceal,

thanks for enlightening me on your thoughts on tapering ideas. I shall work accordingly in choosing which races to aim for with appropriate taper.  For a start I would like to make this next 10k a decent time but the 5m on Wednesday can be treated as a training sort of run as it is a GP race.

K2,
    You are right, I could have just made a new "target"  for certain races in Mick's chart but its a bit late now.  Previously I kept thinking I'd have to beat last year's times for the chart.

Sorry to hear about your colleague.

Tracey,
    V.good 20 mile there.  You have real stamina !

And v.good month mileage from JJ/MickC/Empty/Aws.  Especially Aws.

Nrd Tuesday, usually is.  Today much later will be a rd.

• Good morning, fine people.

Mick
    I think that one counts as a totp coup! I feel thoroughly deposed.

Maggie
    I'm wondering who is employed to put black modesty rectangles onto videos..............

JJ
    Have a great trip. The pool sounds perfect!

Empty
    Thanks. I hope so too.
    Good mileage for the month.  I'm not great on stats but it looks good to me - even enough pace and HR.

Impey
    I've only just set my targets - better late than never!

ceal
    You have mail. 

Forgive me if I've already said this, but it struck me later that the Reading Half was the first time I've really run with a time in mind. Previously I've been aiming at "better than...." My target on Sunday was 1 minute faster than 2008. Hmm. Food for thought.

• Morning all  image

Good luck with the fundraising K2.  Can we expect lots of target setting this year then?  Are you thinking of applying for the job Jan?  Modesty rectangles needed!  Only spoilsports need apply!  image

JJ I am not sure when you are off to Hong Kong, have a great time xx

Impey, why couldn't they give you a replacement straight away?  How useless is that!  Take lessons from Sharkie, boo hoo very loudly and jump up and down (preferably wearing spikes)  image

Mike a lot of miles this month despite having more NRD's than you planned, I hope you are soon feeling better xx

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Good Morning,

K2
    Life ain't fair sometimes.

Keep up your targets!

JJ
    Stewart said he hopes you like running up mountains. Which day do you leave for your hols. Your hilly miles yesterday will help break you in for HK! Btw I did see Eric on Sunday, he was not racing because he still has a hamstring injury, since Feb LFOM. His grandson ran in the U 15's. He was waiting at the end of the race to have a word with me which was very good of him. No doubt he knew a few peeps who were running to perhaps.  

Impey
    you do get a lot of problems with your lap-top. I hope the new one has not been put together on a Saturday afternoon too!!

MickC
    I think your totp will take a lot of beating.

Tracey
    Well done on completing your 20 miler. That must feel a relief now that has been done. .

The Gym session yesterday carried 3 pb's, on the pulleys, and in my exercises. So I can feel I have worked hard today. I will go to the track but not too sure what I am capable of but it must be something.

My times was finally sorted late afternoon yesterday, my 44.25 mins which I knew was cobblers was replaced with a 45.50 mins gun to finish and 45.49mins chip to finish. I must learn to get on that pad a bit quicker!!   

• Good morning

PTP2 Day 45

6.18M; 1:18:27; 12:41/M; hr133 m144; slow
    12:52 hr137 m142
    12:49 hr134 m139
    12:54 hr133 m137
    12:51 hr132 m136
    12:38 hr133 m138
    12:28 hr132 m139

It was a struggle keeping this slow as it kept slipping to even slower and the HR instead of being around 134 would keep dropping to 129 or less. It must be the effect of yesterday's faster bits.
    4ºC, so much for the Spring is Sprung bit.

K - Really sorry about your colleague. 

al

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Empty
    How could I miss you off my postings list. Excellent 20 mins tempo. great pace.

Maggie
    I think they should give the job to a female. Certainly in that case. Ogle first then disbar anybody else from looking.

aws
    I only ran 163 miles in March, so you beat me too.

• good morning

Tracey
    well done - feet up time - nearlyimage!

aws
    a fine set of 12's there - nicely done at very constant aerobic rates - looks good!!

Impey
    yup - more foot stamping requiring!!
    You now have the chance to make a real impact in your new age group so go for it - faster and further!

Empty
    tough session that and really good pace throughout - excellent

MickC
    I refuse to read back to see what you were referring too!!!

K2
    target times ehh - way to go - think 1:59:30..............................................

• I arrived a little late for the run last evening and they had already set off, streaming across and up the hillside in a long straggly line.
    I know this beautiful moorland area like the proverbial back of my hand and looking at the direction knew that at the summit they could either turn right and have a glorious run along the hill tops in the dazzling late sun on springy new grass and bracken for an hour or so before turning onto the fast tarmac paths for the run in or turn left and slip over the hill onto the east facing slopes and have a real slog in the shadow of the hill around the small lakes, rough pasture and savage undulations of the rugged moorland
    They turned left.....................................................

8.2 miles later I led a small group back to safety most of the others sensibly had abandoned the run at a short cut point. The last 2 miles were "run" by the light of a quarter moon and brilliant starry night undisturbed by light pollution across moorland pasture which was nicely broken up by the feet of numerous animals.
    Time was almost irrelevant but came in at just over 2 hours!!!!!!!!

Slipped out early this am for a very short 3 miles just to ease the pain out of my knees caused by the devil's work last eveningimage
    It is grandchildren day as well and when I returned from my run Matilda was waiting at the door for me to come in so that she could play and remind me that the ducks in the park would need feeding soon!

Miles for the month 225.53 - all aerobic beast feeding

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    TS~ Great aerobic beast feeding for the month.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭

I put best instead of beast above .

But I was continuing my post to TS when RW took over and submitted when I was still typing.

so to continue----

TS
    I loved reading your very descriptive post about the run last pm. I had a feeling that they were going to turn left. I do hope that the peeps who selected to do that were still running after 8 miles and not one of those who had opted out earlier.

I don't think you are going to get out of feeding the ducksimage

• Run done. Thanks to ceal for cheering email which got me out of the door and enjoying some spring flowers. Not sure of time or distance as Garmin batery was flat. About 3 miles.

Maggie
    Thanks.
    I think I'll need to set some targets but they may be secret for a while.

I was a bit concerned about the size of the rectangle - it did seem very large.

ceal
    Thanks.

ws
    Thanks
    Another good run.

TS
    I am doing.................. image
    Ah well - the sun shines on the righteous. 
    Starlight must be some compensation, though.
    Misread your last line.......................... image

• Is Mick around?

He can't get rid of me that easily!

imageimageimage