Over 60s training.

Comments

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

K2

Liz said yes it was wide but not very deep !!image

Mike T

• Mike
    Tell Liz I was bit worried about that.  Maybe we should pply as a team for the job of Modesty rectangler. Of course, we could always branch out and go for different shapes.....

triangle

square

circle

heart

flower

zigzag.............

Think I'd better go.............

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭
    LIz says a matchstick wit a tulip on top ............
  • Oops.. Shudda said good morning first to all.  So g.morning.  Back in a while.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Have a fab time JJ
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning all

Sorry got to rush Things to do people to see

Last night club night Fartlek along sea wall Full route was 7 miles we did around 5 miles Couuld have been further but Garmin threw a strop wouldn't locate satellites so i turned it off then on again and forgot to start it again DOH. But it was around an hours running

We did a shorter rouye as night was falling but it was good fun felt a bit sluggish in the first half couldn't get going but soon warmed up. I love fartlek just don't do it often enough

4.03 miles this morning
    39:46
    9:52 pace
    138 avg HR
    69% WHR

May do another little one tonight

• Ceal,

ONLY  163 miles?!  Fair puts me to shame,  I don' t think I managed more than a ton though not counted yet.
    Laptop is okay its just  the blasted mains adaptor/charger that keeps failing.

TS,

225....a whopping total that!
    As regards fresh pbs in new age in our club GP race series one cannot qualify a new pb until year after.

I.e. One year's racing of each distance(5m,10k,10m,Half,Mara) this year will be the reference times.
    Trouble is next year I'll probably have slowed down again !  But am willing to give it a bash.

Maggie,

These retail centres like PC world never seem to carry enough spares stock of anything these days, do they!?  Shan't waste me energy on stamping up an down at least I have the desktop to useimage

K2,

Hmmm.  What targets could I set I wonder.   There will be at least 4 races where I will merely set a new pb with LESS effort so that next year I won't have shot meself in the footimage

• cealceal ✭✭✭

Pammie
    I find fartlek hard.

JJ
    to late to wave good bye.

K2
    Well done.

Impey
    hello/goodbye!

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Impey
    cross post, sounds a bit tough that you have to wait a year before you benefit from being older. How old are the peeps who set these silly rules?
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Good morning all,
    Someone please come up with a attention grabbing totp, I cannot go through my forum life with the byline "Thats a big one".

TS,
    Impressive monthly total. Your run may have been hard but it sounded like a lot of fun was had by all.

ceal,
    You seem to be progressing well with your gym sessions. In our speed group we have some quick lady runners who are concentrating on shorter distances. They are well toned and put a lot of effort into strength training judging by their comments. I suspect that this is an area that a lot of runners neglect. I have notice a difference in my general comfort level when running since starting my core strengthening exercises, I just fell more in control.

JJ,
    I guess I am too late to wish you a great time in HK and yes the hills are formidable.

Today  is supposed to be warm 9c and I have my LSR scedule. We enjoyed the run by the canal and the river so much last Saturday we have decided to repeat it.

Mick

• cealceal ✭✭✭

I had a sunny track session. I could tell when I warmed up that things would not be easy this morning.

But determination is the name of the game.

It was a session I have done twice before but instead of 2 mins active recovery today was to be only 90 secs recovery.

Warm up and cool down for a mile each. with a one sided pyramid sandwiched between, which composed of:- 

2k at half mara pace = 9.44 mins,
    2 x 1 mile at 10k pace = 7.22 mins,
    2 x 1k at 5k pace = 4.25 mins
     2 x 800 at 3k pace = 3.23 mins.

The result was this:-

2k, 9.27 mins, av HR 131, MHR 139

1 mile, 7.19 mins, av HR 144, MHR 151

1 miles, 7.18 mins, av HR 149, MHR 156

1k, 4.25 mins, av HR 152, MHR 158

1k, 4.27 mins, av HR 152, MHR 158

800m, 3.30 mins, av HR 152, MHR 158--legs rebelling badly

800m, 3.35 mins, av HR 148, MHR 157--legs and lungs rebelling now, the goose has been over cooked . I just about managed to run around the track twice.

Total mileage for the day 8.75 miles.

I am well knackered now.

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

ceal,
    I could feel the pain on those 800s. Judging by your avg hr on that last one you had nothing left. I will see if I can get my legs into the same space on Thursday night.

Come on K2 only 5 more posts to go, you need to rescue me from my own doings. I blame Maggie she set me up

Mick

• Mike/Liz
    LOL. Why did she suggest that?

Mick
    I really think you should change your forum name.........

ceal
    That makes me hurt just reading it. Tough session.

• Had call from coleague then went to the pool to swim it off.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭

K2
    chin up gal.

• EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭

K2, she thought the matchstick was about the right depth and the tulip would make it look bigger - not sure what "it" is image

That was a tough session Ceal. You can certainly tell you'd given it your all by the time you reached the last one.

"Recovery" run this morning
    4.10mi in 34.14, ave 8.21, ave HR 138, 69% wHR

Ok overcooked it for a recovery run, legs were tired but not tired enough obviously.

Mike T  

• ceal
    That's very bad style if I'm doing breast-stroke.

Hey, things can't be so bad if I can still take things the wrong way.

• And

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

I'm Back

K2 - Really sorry to hear about your colleague.

Ceal - Another tough session from you - phew

Farlek is it tough because here's no rules about what intensity to run at. Its differen to intervals or tempo. Though was pleased with last nights efforts with some comedy moments. HR when Garmin obliged peaked at 174 (MHR -4)

• I just have to post this gorgeous sight just outside our back door right now.

magnolia stellata

But this is the one I prefer although photographic purists would probably deplore the sunlight effect:

magnolia stellata (2)

• good evening  image

busy on here today!  Mick it looks like K2 has taken up the challenge to return as the totp queen so you may not have to worry for a while!

have gone blank oevr the previous page ... can only remember more impressive running from ceal!

I have been out again today, very warm but with a surprisingly strong wind, my first outing in short sleeves and shorts!

K2 sorry the news from your colleague was not more encouraging xx

aws lovely photos although I am sure you are right about the sun!

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Maggie,
    Can I just disappear into obscurity and let K2 stay queen of the heap. Do we have a cyber sin bin I can sit in.

aws,
    beautiful pic, one thing the Canada weather and the Canadian shield prevent and that is a beautiful spring garden. Oh I forgot the animals if anything manages to grow early it gets eaten.
    I also forgot to mention a pair of very healthy looking coyotes I saw yesterday morning not far from my back garden. We hear them at night but rarely seem them close to the house. In recent years they have been doing very well, they will take a deer and turkeys have made a come back so lots of food around. No bear sightings yet but now is when we see them, I must remember to take my camera with me when I walk the dogs.

Long run done at an average pace of 8:25 per mile and average WHR of 66%. I picked up the pace over the last 5k so it was under 8 min miling. We ran 21k just short of the full half distance and again I wanted to see how strong I was on the last few k. Felt very strong with lots in the tank.

Mick

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    MickC
    I would say you were very strong over the last few K. Bring on your race!
  • Maggie,

You are not alone.....my mind often goes blank. I even have my senior moments sometimesimage

Ceal,

Not much backup at our club for the over60s.  In fact, I am the only runner competitively over 60 all others are younger than that. So there is only one wide range for the vets, 40 and over !!!

Stuck to a 5 mile afternoon run with a warmup at 10.29 then 9.34, 9.33, 9.49 and  10.45
    Doubt that it would benefit me to do much more before Sunday so I will try to get fresh legs for then.
    Looking forward to this one and will beat that last time I feel sure although there is so far a record entry of over 2000 already for the Rother Valley event,  usually there is about 600.

Bought a  great 10 Meg dig camera for Margs birthday so I hope she will like it on the day.

MickC,

Whats wrong with having" a big one"  just because its totp?image

• aws
    Beautiful tree. I planted one in our garden but it seems to have disappeared. (it was only very small). Our next-door neighbour has a "normal" magnolia which overhangs our fence. I'm not complaining.

Mick
    Looking forward to the summer reports of local fauna.

• Impey
    Races do seem to fill up very quickly now.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Impey - I'm sure Marg will love the present. Good run and good luck for sunday

aws - Beauiful photos

Another 4 miles this evening same would as this morning bu the elevaion was lower ho ho ho

Split time Avg. HR Max. HR
    10:07 132 145
    9:40 138 147
    9:39 143 149
    9:18 146 151
    0:07 149 149
  • Good morning all  image

I have just had a look back to check on pammie, 4 miles in the morning and another 4 in the evening, very impressive!

ceal while I was there I looked more closely at your post, you started off a bit fast but most of your times were spot on until the 800's.  The times of those brought a wry smile to my face, 3:30 is just about what I am managing for 400 at the moment.

I am a bit achey this morning, possibly due to the occasionally 'attack' in the garden, will see how the day goes before deciding what to do.  Mike is working from home due to the summit so if I am lucky I might manage another outing without cass, hope she's not listening  image

Mick, there was no set up involved, it was just immaculate timing by you  image