Training for Beachy Head Marathon!

I need some advice! In a fit of insanity I've registered to do Beachy Head Marathon. I really can’t wait but need some training advice.

I'm currently running 20min runs roughly 2-3 times per week. I've set myself a target to do the marathon route 1 month before. How should I increase the distance over the next few months? Maybe 10 miles by May/June?

Comments

• Initially you dont need to do the marathon route one month before.

You have oooooooooodles of time to train

You will need some hill training :-)

Increase one of your long runs per week by 10% every week for 3 weeks and then down by 10% on the 4th

Check out the training tabs at the top of the page and pick one for you

See you there !!!
  • Hi Phil, I'd advise getting down here and checking out the terrain. It's a tough course, but fantastic. If you need advice on training email us, we'd be happy to help. We're personal trainers/coaches, and we run courses for runners a mile from the start. This isn't an ad or anything, but we do know the course, very well and would be happy to help - F
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Hi Phil

Beachy Head will be my second marathon. I will do some hill work on the treadie. It is a bit flat in Dagenham, Essex.
  • Cheers for all the advice. I live locally and ride around the area lots so i know the course well. I've currently got shin splints (i think) and having a bit of time off. Going to concentrate on the riding on bike.

Next thing now is to find some money to buy some good running shoes. There is a local shop called The Tri Store - is this any good?
  • or you can walk/run

it is a tough course

the hills at the end are killers - i was really tempted to go up them on all fours but my dignity prevaled

:-)

• Mine didnt :-)
  • lol

why was rich not there to record that event?

:-)

(i had only walked it though melds - you ran)

• this year, i WILL go up that third sister on all fours
  • had to look twice there

assumed it was a post from Bobbis

;-)

• I think we should ALL go up them on all fours!
  • i'd had enough by the fourth sister, i must admit

;-)
  • LOL lurker!
  • Phil - you could do my approach and do virtually no running for the couple of months before the race.

Just be prepared to add a couple of hours to your previous marathon best...

It was still great fun though!
  • Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    So I need to pratice going up hills on all fours.
  • Thats about right Tracey, and eationg G&B's

Bobbs there really is no answer to that one!
  • Did Beachy Head Marathon 23rd Oct 2010 - My first - wanted under 6 hours - got 5Hrs 45mins, well pleased, its a tough but lovely scenic course. Many many thanks to the lovely man who helped me out at 21 miles when I tripped and my left calf cramped badly, he stretched it out so I could continue. You should get GOLD.
  • I'm looking to break 3.30 in this year's beachy head - any tips?
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Mark Todd Plod wrote (see)
    I'm looking to break 3.30 in this year's beachy head - any tips?

Yes.  Be confident you could run a "normal" marathon in well under three hours, and train up LOTS of hills, especially at the end of your long runs.