Home educating a six year old

My six year old son is being bullied at school. His teacher has intervened but to no avail. He has gone from being a happy confident little boy to being sad and saying that he hates himself. Obviously this cannot continue. The school seem to be taking an awfully long time to do anything really constructive about the situation and I really can't allow him to be treated in this way. Whilst I look for an alternative school I was considering the option of home education. Does anyone have experience of this? I realise it is a huge undertaking but I am prepared for that and the added work of ensuring a social life for my son. ANy constructive comments welcomed!
Thanks Jiggi

Comments

• that's disgusting. sorry i can't offer any help with the question. can't you go and see the headmaster and really cause fuss. tell them what you're considering? the kids involved should be excluded, things like that shouldn't be tolerated by schools. and if you do pull him out, cause a stink and go to the local press. name and ame the teacher and head. these incompetent people need to be kicked into taking affirmative action.

good luck with it!
  • Candy thank you. I was beginning to feel that I was going off my head. I shall speak to the Head teacher but fear that this will be of limited help given previous experience.
    Thanks
    Jiggi
  • Hoose, We have talked to him about bullies: we should feel sorry for them it must be awful to feel so angry, it's not your fault and that whatever the underlying reason the behaviour is still unacceptable. I am at my wits end. I am going to speak to his teacher AGAIN this morning and the headteacher if there has been no progress (waiting for the other child's parents to come into school to discuss 6 weeks plus now)
    If it comes to home schooling I shall do my best and get help as much as possible.
    Any thoughts?
  • The school is obliged to deal with it.

Why should your son (and you) have to alter your life for the sake of a few scroats?

Wont your son feel he's somehow to blame if you take him out of school now? 6 is an awfully young age for this to happen.

Unfortunately, I reckon this is a situation where you have to be strong and face it out.

Bullies cannot be allowed to get away with it and imagine how good it would feel to get this resolved, both for you and your son.

Good luck!
  • jiggi

sounds like the teacher/headmaster needs a good kick up the bum themselves, this is appalling. I'm no expert, but i would think the social side of school SHOULD be as important as the academic part. It should be dealt with today, not tomorrow or the next day. I think very strong words are in order, and i would be tempted to stay at the school until they will assure you that he will not be bullied. Disgusting.
  • The school has to deal with it - if they're not moving fast enough then pass it on to the LEA
  • Does the school have a written policy/procedure for dealing with bullying? I thought they were obliged too.

It may be worth putting things in writing and copying them to to Chair of Governors too.

I can see that you don't want to sacrifice your son on the alter of getting the school to wake up and deal with this properly, but equally it can't be allowed to carry on without someone being brave enough to challenge the school's seeming ineffectiveness.
  • I do agree with Chimp about the possibility of your son thinking he is somehow to blame if you take him out of school.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Mail me if you need detailed info...

From the school's perspective, they are going to need evidence. You need to be able to give precise examples of exactly waht is going on. They have a duty of care towards your son, but rule son exclusion have been firmly tightened, and Head s now need to havea clear idea, ' beyond all reasonable doubt' rather than the old ' on the balance of probability'.

Be prepared to be constructive and listen to a range of possible strategies, but don't accept, ' there's nothing we can do, your son needs to stand up for himself'. Thats just not good enough.

These things are fixable.
  • Ah good - B is the expert on this :o)

The school does have an obligation as I understand it.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Before you go in to see the Head, be fairly clear on exactly what form the bullying takes. How many other children are involved? Is anyone else on the receiving end? ( Bit inflamitory this next one) Are you sure your son is not involved too?
    Are other children aware of what is going on ( ie, could there be witnesses?)
    How has this been drawn to the attention of the school in the past? What was done when you last spoke? Have there been incidents outside school?

And yes, the school needs to be able to produce it's policy on bullying.
  • I hope it goes well, Jiggi :o)

Have you someone who can support you and go to meetings with you? I've recently had a similar problem and found that the school staff closed ranks very swiftly and we had to take the matter elsewhere both within and outwith the education department.

This was a clear case of a gentle but odd (autistic) boy with an English accent being repeatedly verbally and physically assaulted in a Scottish school by two other boys who both have police records and formidable reputations, yet the school seemed keen to deflect the blame on to the victim.

I don't expect this to happen elsewhere, but be prepared to have to stand your ground.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    I have a straight opinion on this. I run my school in a way that I would be happy for my own kids to experience. As I write I am tackling a pretty straighforward bullying case... Any school that feels it doesn't ahve a rpoblem has a problem indeed. Be prepared to be open, honest and tenacious.
  • if you end up home educating the education dept are very helpful and will tell you what the cirriculum is and what you need to cover
  • Jiggi
    I once went on a very good in-service day course about bullying. I have all the handouts if you would like them - email me if so. They're aimed at teachers but would give you an idea of what a good school should be doing. A couple of sheets give suggestions of what the bullied child might say to the bully.

Hope it gets sorted out quickly.
  • Jiggi

First of all I'm very sorry to hear this. It must be very worrying for you.

Also I deeply admire you for being prepared to take such a radical step. You are right that this sort of move isn't easy, and has lots of implications for all of you.

For that reason I would urge you to exhaust all other avenues first. I would echo all the advice that you've been given.

Most of all though, build your son up. he is probably being bullied because he's cleverer, or kinder, or more popular than the bullies. Tell him that he is clever, kind etc,. make sure he understands that he is a "good" person. make sure that he understands that you will do whatever it takes to make things better for him.

I do understand that this makes you angry, but anger is very corrosive, and sometimes the person you are angry for ends up thinking that you are angry with them. You should explain this to your son as well - that you aren't angry with him - that this isn't his fault.

And it isn't your fault either - so don't beat yourself up about it.

Sorry if this all seems obvious - my experience is, though, that sometimes the obvious needs to be stated to keep the focus right.
  • Jiggi, you have mail!
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Jiggi, I have a friend who home schooled her children for a while but she's a qualified teacher and the children had lots of other opportunities to socalise with other kids. Even so, she found it quite hard so I would echo FR's comment about exhausting other avenues first.
  • if the parents have refused to come in for 6 weeks then they are, it must be said, filthy chavs of the worst kind (assuming the teacher actually asked them, of course!). clearly they are the root cause of their vile offspring's behaviour. insist that their child is excluded until they engage with the issue. force them to get off their sofa and do something.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    I have to say that whilst the failure of the parents to engage makes things more difficult, it certainly does not prevent the Head from sorting this out.There are plenty of sanctions that a school can bring to bear on this, including home visits.. if a prent fails to show up, I get in the car and confront them on their doorstep ( or in one case in the pub).. most find my office a preferable venue due to its lack of public rubberneckablility!
  • excellent barkles. if only more heads were like you. err, with antlers on them and that.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I think I'd be having a polite word with the other boys parents myself - or even with the boy himself. If the school wont do its job then really what option have you got?
  • beating up six year olds is fun!

but seriously, arguing with chavs is always completely pointless. you might as well find a dog sh*t on the pavement and start trying to convince it to stop being a dog sh*t. it just aint gonna happen.
  • Candy Ollier

...what have "filthy chavs" ever done to you, to get you in such a state.

;0)