Thursday 30th March 2006

A useful tempo run in 6 min/miling yesterday evening. Fastest mile was a 5:39, that's encouraging. Went to the physio too for a sports massage, everything okay.

What? 5m / 9m with 4 @ MP
Why? Thursday

Comments

• Looking good Urban.

What: thought I might go down to the track and run 10 x 200. Haven't done anything like that for yonks. Ran 2 miles to the grass track which has now turned into a soccer field so track not marked and grass a little long. Decided to take my shoes off and run like a 12 year old. Only did 6 with half a lap recovery. Thought 12 year old would only do 6 and didn't want sore calves. Next time I must take my spikes but didn't want to look like an even crazier old lady running down the road with my spikes in my hands.
  • Hi URr and NZC...I really should get to bed...

URR...sounds like a very good tempo run...

NZC...very impressive run...for a 12 year old...running barefoot in the grass sounds great...not quite the weather to do it here in Scotland..

Earlier I completed one of the runs from the P&D taper from 55mpw. The run was 8m with 3x1m @ 5k pace with 2 mins recovery....I must say, I found this a very hard run...possibly more painful than my recent (raced) half marathon...thought tapering was meant to be easy ;-)

Still...rest tomorrow...well actually, up at 6.45 to go to the gym for weight training.
  • Morning all (not yet 8 at night here)

Great pace URR - you make it sound easy!

NZC - I have the image, nice!

What: Easy 4-6 miles doing blocks or if the hotel isn't in a runner friendly zone I might have to DREADMILL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Why: Last few days of RR (rib recovery), def feeling better tonight (could it be pre-holiday pizza/wine)
    Last Hard: 12 days

Finally closed the house deal today, get the keys Friday, finally out of rented, just 4 weeks of renovation when we get back)

Have a great day

'Trini on tour'
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    morning!

I should have gone to bed too

good club run this evening - really beginning to feel the benefits of running with a V69!!

what: off working away again - looking for cycle paths to run along
    why: keeps the teenagers in computers, holidays, university ....

will not be back until Sunday so run well all
  • Morning mad middle of the night peeps!

humungous thread yesterday. Keeps me sane at this time of end of term marking!

What: swim drills am; short turbo-replacing-run pm
    Why: down week
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Monday

Have a good day everyone.
  • huge thread yesterday.

Condolences with you Wardi for the loss of such a young friend.

Nice to have you back too hilly. Hope all is well.

what : possibly a short run tonight
    why : back at work :( and legs pretty tired after 32 miles in 4 days
    last hard : mon
    last rest : sat

Might not get on much today as will have 3 days worth of work related nonsense to catch up on.

Have a good day y'all
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    morning all

great thread yesterday

wardi, sorry to hear about the funeral but glad you could be there for your friend's husband. yes, my troubles are minor in comparison but it is hard sometimes to keep perspective.

so, maybe I shouldn't post this but it is a training thread.

damn & blast. yesterday was a blip. back to trying to run through treacle with sky high HR.

what: 4.6 d&d @ 1.25 min/mile slower than yesterday with av HR only 1 bpm lower
    why: trying to build miles
    last hard: that was

I've got 1, maybe 2 days without any exercise now so maybe a rest will help.

Have a good day all.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    btw, for the first time in ages......

I know the lyrics!
  • Morning

Wardi-My thoughts to go out to you and your friends family .

Well physio today and we shall see what she thinks after outside run yesterday and off course she never mentioned a think about today so I was in a quandry what is a girl too do tready for 25-30 mins or try outside again....................well I opted for option 2 @30 mins on the road I dont think it is any worse just know it is a long way back.

Have a good day
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning

Mice run URR.

Thanks Paul, things are ok:-)

Mava enjoy a good rest day.

what:15 miles easy/steady
    why:final push for FLM

Have a good day everyone!
  • Morning

What happened yesterday a hell of a thread to get through.

To all that are injured, seems quiet a few of us, heeling vibes. There not working for me so hopefully they will for you.

What - nothing
    Why - doc forced rest and have to wait to sat or sun for a trot out

Enjoy
  • Morning all.

what: strengthening exercises, Pose drills
    why: wife out tonight so have the kids. need to keep strength in knee.

URR How on earth do you get to running at 5:39m/m? I am struggling to 7:39m/m at the moment.

I will post my "story" later when I get a chance.

Gary
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Cut short yesterday's 15x200s on grass. Only did 8 reps, (plus a scenic 2.25miles there and back over the fields). Felt a bit bloated so rather than push on, thought it better to cut the session short.

Upside of the clock change is that I can now get out in daylight if I get home on time.

Today: Nowt, supposed to be out after work tonight. Feeling very tired though, missed my nap on the train due to a group of 4 uni aged girls in the carriage (the 5.01), one of whom kept the carriage awake with her booming voice and inability to say anything meaningful or interesting for 45 minutes.

I've sent the tape off to Catherine Tate, so expect a new character soon....

:D
  • morning,

good sessions URR and DF. lovely description of your session NZC, sounds idyllic

welcome back to beanz and to hilly

have a great hol trini on tour

wardi your friend's husband will really appreciate having decent people like you around him. made me think of when my mum died suddenly, aged 52. i was a complete mess and we were so grateful to people who rallied round and especially to those who managed to get my dad up and about. people like you are the real thing. i hope you all get through it together.

good wishes to those nursing injuries, sending patience and right vibes from here

what - 5 or 6 miles today

why - easing back towards normality (not quite full training mike but getting there)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry just read I'd wrote 'mice run' instead of nice run on post to URR. Not quite sure what a mice run is, but the speed those little blighters move at it could well be 5.39 pace:-)

clink, glad you're getting back towards full training. You've been very patient over the last few months!
  • Morning

What: 4 or 5 easy miles later
    Why: about all the leg will allow at the moment

Wardi - those things that don't break us make us stronger and bring people closer together.

Minks - almost certainly not.
  • Mornin' all.

I know the lyrics yet again - are they getting easier or something?

Hippo - was it you that started talking about vodka in the freezer last night? It made me remember my bottle. And indeed it is very nice drunk neat straight from the freezer. Only the one though - I didn't want to be over the limit whilst cycling this morning!

The PF is still there, albeit under control, so I decided today would be better spent cycling than running. Managed the journey a couple of minutes quicker and at a lower HR than Monday. And Mrs SVT is popping out to Lidl to get some padded shorts and gloves for me later!

What: 5.5km x2 cycling
    Why: it emits less greenhouse gasses than driving to work
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Tuesday
  • And when I checked my time for yesterday, I'd managed a sub-8 min mile pace for the first time in ages.

I must leave the HRM behind more often!
  • SportalooSportaloo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Wardi - Tough day yesterday,but it sounds like you handled it well.

What: 8 miles
    Why: More miles
    Last hard: Yesterday

This morning's run was better than yesterday,but I am very tired during the day. Finding the days at work tough,I need a break,just one week to fix me up.The last time I had leave,except for public holidays,was five days in June 2005. Will have next week Friday off as I will be traveling to the mountains for the 56K race and then another day off work on the Monday. (To learn to walk again) 77 Days to Comrades and I need these days to pass very quickly.

Have a short day.
  • Wardi - I'm sure your clubmates support each other in these hard times. It's hard coming to terms with such injustice.

Good to have you back hilly and BR.

URR is keeping low profile but posting some serious running lately!

Forgot to welcome beeble and handbag yesterday, so belated welcome to both.

Last night managed 15.6M LSR (haven't run over 10M since the end of Jan) and remembered what distance running is all about. Old tussle between mind and body and several voices in the mind itself (hasn't been a hard taskmaster of late). Last 30mins was hard, not being helped by finding myself in the middle of a gang of about 20 13yo girls on the footpath a bit earlier, all pointing (hands in my face kind of stuff), shouting and laughing. Very unpleasant experience and I felt very intimidated. The latter was what was bothering me most as I ran on. Nothing really happened, but a healthy and reasonably fit 30something male shouldn't feel intimidated by a bunch of 13yo girls. I blame the daily mail ;-)

But despite that one of those satisfying runs where you push ourself a fair bit without getting to the point where it really hurts and the shower afterwards feels like heaven on earth.
    Niggly leg seems to have gone a lot better during/since this run as well, albeit the ankle (root of the problem) was stiff this morning.

What: rest
    Why: thursdays extremely difficult to fit running in
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: tuesday

ps - sorry for going on a bit...
  • Morning,

What: 2km swim am, 60mins circuits pm
    Why: Strength
    Last Hard: Last night
    Last Rest: 4 days

First night of running last night since clocks changed. Forgot we would go off road and wore road shoes. Slipping everywhere. But its great to get on the trails again.
  • morning all!

What: gym with 20 mins dreadmill thrown in for good measure.
    Why: bag is packed and in car ready to go straight after work tonight
    Last Hard: Forgot
    Last Rest: Yesterday

happy runnings
  • Morning regulars

7M jog this morning, went fine - new shoes feel great.

Will now read back on yesterday's thread!
  • Morning!

Strayed briefly onto the Pantman thread yesterday... he's got quite an impressive mental focus, hasn't he?

Wardi - very moving post yesterday, good job on going to the pub last night.

debbo - cheers ;-)

Thanks for the news flash that taper madness is just around the corner... (and surely should have started for some of the Rotterdam and Paris crews?)

What: Swim d&d, run later - might do the club handicap tonight but probably not.
    Why: Plodding along on a recovery week.
    Lyrics: I seem to have rather a lot of the wrong kind of cuttlery?
  • Morning all

What: will try 5 miles later
    Why: When to fit it in!
    Last hard: friday

as you can imagine finding time to run at the moment is dificult, found myself pounding the streets at 2300 last night!

Sportaloo. Comrades training takes its toll, take a easy week sometime 20 miles less on the total for the year up to June won't actually maker any difference. I reckon I was overtrained and over tired the past two years at Comrades.

BR and Hilly nice to see you back.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Wardi - sympathies. Hope that you and your friends husband can start the road to recovery from such a shocking loss. I'm sure that it will take time and mutual support will be essential.

Hilly and BR - Glad you are back posting.

Imski - what a traumatic experience! Perhaps in your hot and sweaty state you should have asked for a hug. I find that this very rapidly disperses crowdas of females and is very helpful in clearing the lift when I return to work from my lunchtime run.

What: 8 miles am, club run pm
    Why: Grinding out the miles

Run this morning was very hard. Too many miles in my legs and increasing pain in my right shin made for a tough last couple of miles. I might just bail out of tonights run.
  • Morning all,

Tired legs last night. Did 7.5M, though, and kept it going. Schedule said "slow" so I kept it feeling comfortable all the way - the uphill bits really were slow! Came home a bit quicker than the schedule said (did 7.5M in slightly less than the time suggested for 7M).

Tired legs meant running style a bit awkward last night! Noticed that instead of lifting my kness up to run, I was sort of lifting my feet off the ground and swinging them forward from the knee rather than the hip! Especially towards the end of the run.

Anyway, 6M tonight. Schedule says that the middle 4M should be "brisk". Strangely, "brisk" converts to 32 mins for 4M, apparently, whereas, on Tuesday, 8 min/mile was considered "fast". Odd.

Thanks for all the advice/encouragement yesterday.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    I believe I know todays lyrics. Ironically, I forgot to mention it in my first post.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Morning

Raining buckets here, and I'm going for a bike ride.

Mava - don't get too despondent, you could just be tired today. Have you made a doctor's appointment though?

SGQ - they probably use a thesaurus when making up these schedules, just to avoid repetition!

Hilly and BR - It's good to have you back. I trust that you have come through whatever momentous and difficult changes you have no doubt had to make without too much trauma. Good to see you're both running.

Hilly - I wonder how long your clogs will be tolerated though!

Imski - there is something very threatening about gangs of teenage girls (and I have one myself so I should know better!)

What: a 1.5-2 hour cyle, and pilates later
    Why: IM training
    Last hard: tuesday's turbo
    Last rest: sunday

• morning all,

best wishes to Wardi at this difficult time.

Good to see BR and Hilly back posting.

The light nights are certainly cheering me up - yesterdays planned 5-6m steady run, became my 14 mile long run for the week. It was just one of those days where you look at the scenery and forget you are actually running :)

Anyway
    What: 4m recovery d&d
    why: Seemed like fun
    last hard: technically last night, but it didn't really feel like it
    Last rest: Sunday