Thursday 30th March 2006

Comments

• Melli / 200 mins....

To be honest I've been chasing `target races' since 2001. I think I'm going to run more low key events for a while - track for the club, relays, local races etc instead of chasing pbs. Just get out there and have fun for a while really.

Beebie - sounds like me 6 years ago - running to keep fit, first 10k 53:18. It'll be interesting to follow your progress.
  • Wardi - must be such a difficult time for everyone at the moment, take care.

Hilly - welcome back

BR - that's a shame, I had a three-way bet going on who would come in first out of you and two of my clubmates, both of whom are going for sub 2:45 ;-)

PEter G - great report and result, even with the wheels coming off. Hope you're feeling better now

Imski - I find teenage girls the scariest group of all to run past

Didn't make it to runing club last night, back at the doctor's again - every time I do any exercise I cough and wheeze for hours afterwards. Doc's response - you've still got fluid on your lungs, and training? Absolutely fine, helps to cough it all up. Wonder if she knows that training for me involves several hours on a bike in the cold and wet, and not just piddling round in a gym.

What: Cycle commute to work, got a feeling will be working late tonight, so will miss chain gaing, will just take bike out for a spin instead tonight
    Why: Bike mileage
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: 19 days
  • Lizzy - I'll ignore the remark about piddling in the gym as will be in there tonight and def do not do piddle's in public!

Well actually this is not strictly true as have been known to go in public when out running! Got caught once on a Sunday training run whilst doing necessary piddle between a car and high hedge that was by the entrance to a village church and church decided to kick out, that was seriously embarrassing and taught me to be more careful in future! I tried desperately to get away as quick as I could but my shorts decided to be difficult and it took me (what seemed like an age) to pull them up over my backside - VERY bad sight believe me.

BR - Sorry to hear about FLM but, welcome to the support crew, although I'll not be in London drinking beer but in Paris drinking vino!

NZC - I'm not doing Paris now. Can't use the word running as that was off the cards ages ago, but did have mad moment (ok week) of thinking I'd do run/walk. But in the grand scheme of things I know that this will just set me right back and I don't need or want that, so I have had no choice but to be sensible and drop out - grrrr!

Peter - well done on your mara!

• 3.5 miles with baby jogger done this morning. A pregnant woman stopped me to ask about the baby jogger.

paul i - it's a baby jogger II we bought it second hand off ebay. They're an american company (see if I can post a link)
    www.babyjogger.com
    I think it would be fine for a 6' person, baby can't go in it until they can sit up on their own (approx 6 months).

Even though I'm a new poster I've lurked for quite a while and it's good to see Hilly and BR back.
  • BR - If I can make anywhere near as much progress as you I'll be happy!

I'll be in London to watch FLM too. Already had flights booked so might as well go and support club mates.

DF - I bet you'll break the 40 minutes before me. If I can do it by the end of the year I'll be happy. Once I get back to fitness that will be my aim for towards the end of the season.
  • Cheers Beeble - whenever I break 40 minutes, you'll read it here first!
  • Afternoon folks.

Welcome to all the new and newish folk. I'm always a bit remiss in saying it at the time!

BR/Hilly - good to see you both back posting. Hope all's well. Sorry to hear about your FLM though BR.

Virgil - are you running a long or short leg on Saturday?

Had a good session at the club last night...20 x 400 on the road with loooong 90sec recoveries, aiming for 3k-5k pace (75-80 secs approx.). Concentrated on running form and times went exactly to plan with all reps, except the inevitably quicker last one, being completed in 75-78 secs. Felt very good, almost as if I could have run another 20 reps at the same kind of pace...OK, maybe not, but you get the idea!

Out at lunchtime today for a pretty uneventful 7.9 miles in 56mins, just to keep ticking over for the relays at the weekend.

Have a good day.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    welcome beeble
    fab - sympathies re feet, mine are just useless at the moment
    imski - 20 x 13 yo's sounds horrendous!
    svt - lol
    wardi sorry to hear your sad news

What: club later
    why:?
    last hard: most of them
    last easy: last nights chinese and red wine with my mr

Take it easy
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    welcome beeble. It's odd to think you know all about us already!

welcome back BR and hilly. BR, sorry to hear about FLM. Hope to see you supporting though as that's what I'll be doing, giving grateful thanks that I'm not out there running it!

Lizzy, take care of yourself. Perhaps you should have explained your idea of training a little better to the doc?!

Can't get an appointment with my doc for at least 3 weeks. If I give any kind of an explanation I'll start ranting so I'll just leave it at that.

Off to a gig tonight for the first time in years. Imogen Heap. Don't know her stuff at all but going with bf who likes it. Thought I'd go along.

• mavamava ✭✭✭
    (((wabo)))

wabo and nrg-b and any others who are interested, there's another london curry night planned for 13th April - thread on Clubhouse somewhere
  • Mava - I'll need to work out one of those plans for seeing as much as possible of the race. Mind you, everywhere in London is walkable isn't it?:-)

• Virgil_Virgil_ ✭✭✭
    Scobos - don't know yet is the honest answer. The teams are still being finalised and I'm not fussed. Neither is an exact PB or comparison distance anyway.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Imski, running through that group of girls sounded quite indtimidating to me too.

Thanks Podro!

debbo, thanks and as for my clogs they're of the lightweight variety just not the BR/nrg-b etc sort:-)

Cheers ST2. I love the lighter nights too, makes it much nicer to run even if the weather isn't great.

That's very kind Julz:-)

Melli, me too:-)

Micksta, no chance of this lady running in NB150's, they're like flip flops:-)

Well done PG, excellent postive report!

SR, me make excuses?:-) I'll definitely be looking for one or two in the near future.

Hi AJH. Glad your dream was just that, I don't fancy a uphill marathon:-)

Thanks Lizzy. I know how you feel with the coughing and wheezing as I've had it for about 4 weeks now. The cough is much better but sometimes during a run it really attacks me and my breathing is all over the place at the moment. Could do without it with London being so close!

Thanks Scobos, things are ok.

Thanks Mava. Enjoy your gig!

15 miles d&d at a very slow pace. Couldn't do much else, but good to feel the fresh air in my face and just run for runnings sake.

• MAva - 3 weeks! That's terrible! I think I must be so lucky with my doctors - it's usually possible to call up and get an appointment later that day. Can you talk to the practice manager and see if you can be dropped in; they must have cancellations

Scooby - LOL! I was once caught short near a well known, er, "dogging" area. It really was not nice in the bushes, and I have never been so worried about being seen!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Lizzy, it's 3 weeks to see my doc, the one I've been seeing regularly about something which I think may have something to do with the trouble I'm having. One of the other docs has already told me that he thinks exercising more than 3 times a week is unnecessary so I think I'd get little sympathy from him if I go in and say I feel fine but can't run!

on the piddling in public debate, my most public was in Cuba when our bus got stopped for speeding and I was desparate. Just had to find a ditch by the side of the main road. Right next to a dead cat it was. yick. And a bus full of westerners getting stopped for speeding did draw quite a crowd.
  • wow - i know the lyrics - and that *never* happens.

NZC - running barefoot intervals sounds bizarre but lovely. not something i'll be trying in the UK though.

congrats on your LSD Imski. 13yr olds can be the worlds greatest irritation.

hope you enjoyed the bike ride in the rain debbo!!!

congrats on the marathon Peter G - hope the tooth problems sort themselves out quickly

welcome beeble :-)

i've had a good week training wise
    on tuesday i did my first run of over 10 miles since luton marathon. tonight will be a 4.5 mile run and the total week should be about 24 miles. for me thats a lot of running.

legs are just about recovered now from my "big 3 days". sun - tues i did a total of 10 hours training.

so:
    what: 4.5 miles after work
    why: IM training - specifically now in a phase of increasing running while maintaining cycling.
    last hard: tuesday
    last rest: yesterday (and believe me i needed it!)
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    well done M.

BR, I'll probably be doing my supporting from Mudchute with the big forum group. Depends a bit on whether Bear is running or not - getting knocked of his scooter last week hasn't helped his training!
  • Afternoon all,

Belated welcome, Beeble.

Peter G – well done in Rome.

Hilly – good to see you back

What: 6 miles at lunchtime.
    Why: ticking over

Small chance of another run later, but more likely to be working late again.

Have a good one
  • Afternoon,

Welcome back to those who have been away.

Rotten head cold has left me thoroughly miserable 10 days before m-day. My program has the same session as David F's - 3 x 1600m at 5k pace with 2 min recoveries. Even without cold, that sounded a bit like a flat out 5 k to me, so knocked it on the head and decided to do some fartlek.

And i noticed a curious thing. Pretty much the only pace that I found it difficult to hit was marathon pace. Presumably because I hardly ever train at that pace. Glad there will be pace makers in Paris. Though if this cold doesn't abate, I may have to change which one I decide to follow.

<Rory M wanders off moaning and grumbling and feeling foolishly sorry for himself....>
  • Virgil - It was 7.2m lap. Good luck on chasing my 5k time. It won't stand very long, so hurry up :) After the marathon I swap training. Once I am on the roll again, the magic two letters keep on falling out of the shoes :)
  • PeterG - well done on the mara! Particularly like the way you talked us round the sites. Does Rome do the routing well? Or are there some Cutty Sark hairpin type problems?

Beeble - watch out for nrg - he acts all nice and friendly but really he's a bit of a form nazi!

Keep the pee stories rolling in... my winner so far is Scooby's church story.

<... penny finally drops... THUD!>

There's a forum romance thing going on, isn't there?

I guess I should have worked it out ages ago... sorry, mava - I'm just (very) slow on the uptake! There's also a chance that I might actually be in centre of town on the 13th :-)
  • HILLY:
    Sensible choice regarding the NB150s! I use them on the track and if its dry I run faster in the things and I can in spikes they are so light! :)

BR:
    Are you planning on running London in 2007?
    Thats my plans and im sure PANTMANs as well, would be great having the three of us lining up in the Championship start together and having a very competitive race! ;p

• mavamava ✭✭✭
    LOL hollywood. If you're referring to me and Bear yes, you are very slow on the uptake! It would be great to meet you finally on 13th.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    mava, will be going to snowdonia the next day so not sure re curry night but will keep it in mind.
    br sorry about flm, I take it you are deferring?
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Afternoon all, particular hello to Beeble too. I'm also pretty new around here after a while of lurking. Don't think I ever properly introduced myself though, so I'll do it now!

I've been running on and off for a couple of years - I originally started by doing a R4L and then worked up to a 10K. After that life got in the way and everytime I enthusiastically restarted a training plan I kept getting injured.

THis time though I am determined, so I've been building up slowly slowly for a few weeks now running three times a week. Other days I do quite a bit of cycling (I don't have a car so I use a bike for all my transport) and once my running is properly settled I'll probably start more serious cross-training or running more often.

At the moment things are going reasonably well, a few calf niggles but no other probs. I'm now up to running 7 miles this week for my long run (er, does that weedy distance disqualify me from the thread?) and I'm aiming to beat my 10K time of *ahem* <whispers> 68 mins at the end of April.

Oh dear, I really am disqualified now!

DozyD
  • Afternoon

Welcome back Hilly, I'm also worried that you've come oop north. You'll thrash me in any local races. Mind I am in the next age group up. Hope your trainings going ok. Sometimes(often) life gets in the way.

Take it steady Lizzy, think about what you would advise others.

Welcome to the new ones. Dozy D, speed is all relative. The point is being out there and doing it.

Club night so hopefully 7/8 miles fairly steady with some strides.
  • Forgot to mention earlier I had a follow up appointment with the podiatrists today.

Anyway, for those interested, here's todays tale:

So, I admitted that I still had twinges in my tibialis posterior although not as bad as before. After the usual questions, standing barefoot, on toes, etc.. they finally decided that I needed more support under the arch so they've added a semi-circular area of, well... whats the word? the fluffy lining you get inside some winter jackets, anyway, they added that then coated the top of my insole with leather.

I have this idea now that every time I go back they're going to add another layer underneath my feet until my feet are metres above the ground!

Anyway two things that concern me that came out of that checkup are;

1) I was told to not run until all shin twinges have gone (which I think they just about have) and when I start to run a lot less than my current 3-4 times a week, 20 miles per week and then gradually build back up. It barely seems possible to run less, nevermind build up to my already feeble weekly routine. I'd have to look for running routes of 1-2 miles initially and not run for more than 20 minutes.

2) My next appointment will be with the university bio-mechanical department in September. Thats problematic on so many levels;
    My fluffy arch support will have probably majorly compressed by then reducing its effectiveness, plus what am I supposed to do if I continue to have problems?
    Also, that month I intend to do my first ever marathon, not the ideal time to be fiddling around with insoles even supposing I do find myself running the higher level of mileage that I've been aspiring to do ever since I started running and that I need to be doing if I want to do this marathon.

Plus I suppose this 22 mile race I'd wanted to do in May is looking impossible now?

I'm standing at one of my all-too-frequent crossroads here. Has anyone got any advice please?
  • BR - try this

Leading Women / Men to about 2:45 pace at Deptford Creek (mile 7) then round the back to Greenwich Foot Tunnel (avoid cutty sark) run thru tunnel and backwards round the isle of dogs (see leading women heading the other way) to city pride pub at about 15 miles, then heading the other way at 19 miles before jumping on the tube to Green Park, and running down to Buckingham Palace for the finish (will see men but not women, depending on how much of the mens race at 19 miles you want to see).
  • Sounds harder than the actual race MikeB.

I take it from all the posts that BR is no longer doing FLM06. Hope its not due to injury.