Thursday 30th March 2006

124»

Comments

• Afternoon folks

Just popped in for a quick post. It's been a busy day!

what-6.4 miles d&d inc 8x3mins fast, with 2 min recoveries
    why-cutback week so a little speedwork
    last hard-Tuesday
    last rest-yesterday

Body and mind felt great. Unfortunately HRM was having an 'off' day, but it felt like a decent bit of interval work even when the HRM was stuck on 75 bpm!!

Hope anyone running this evening has a good one.

I'd also like to add my appreciation that BR and Hilly are back posting..I get a lot of inspiration from you two. All the best to both of you.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hello,

URR: I will be expecting massive fireworks from you on 9th April, my friend!

NZC: Its very nice to run barefoot. Just be wary of stinging plants.

Trini: Congrats on house.

Imski: Never feel intimidated. You're doing something they can not possibly understand.

Julz: Wow! Computer Games Fair - very cool! What's your job?

Mellifera: Your HR stats are impressive. I think I was press-ganged into joining BAC ;-)

FAB: Sorry to hear about the feet hurting. I sometimes get this when I land actively on the forefoot (ie tensed calves).

PeterG: Well done under the circumstances. Great report.

AJH: Dreams are just that. Don't let them bother you.

BR: Count me in for FLM beers/curry before, during and afterwards - as I'll be spectating too.

Hilly: Very glad to see you posting once more - I predict that within 6 months you'll be running in ultra-lightweight house slippers ;-)))

Virgil: Puma H Streets - the all-in-one shoe for training, racing, posing, clubbing etc etc ;-)

beeble: Whoa - thanks! You are one fast dude already. Will be interesting to see how far you go.

Dutch Francis: Best of luck with the groin strain.

mava: I hate doctors too so rant away. I think I've just heard Hollywood's penny drop as well. And there I was wondering the last time we all met thinking these lot are a very very friendly ;-))) Will definitley try for the 13th april - thanks for letting me know.

RoryM: Good luck with the head cold.

Hollywood: Would be great to meet up with you for the 13th as well.

DozyD: It takes months/years for your body to adapt. Just take it easy - be consistent, sensible and you'll be fine.

MikeB: Now that alternative FLM route certainly sounds like fun. What do you reckon, BR?

What: A steady run of about 50mins which worked out at 78%MHR at a pace of MP+45sec. I still had a coughing fit afterwards but it only last 2 mins :-)
    Why: A bit of a speed session.
    LastHard: Ages
    LastRest: Tues

• Thanks for all the well done's folks.

Hollywood. There are no major cornering problems on the Rome course, in fact there are a lot of long straights, however there are lots of cobbled stretches, some of them fairly uneven at times. Some of the streets were a bit narrow and the drinks attendants at the stations were just about losing the battle to keep up with demand by the time I got to the stations. I had to stop at virtually every one in order to make sure I got my drinks. The drinks stations were every 5k and I took a small quantity of gatorade and water at each, which seemed to suit me very well. Sponges were in plentiful supply.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    MikeB - thanks for that. I want to be there when the elite women finish in just under 3 hours:-) Sounds a good plan.

nrg-b - yup, curries and beers but not too much as I hate it when our club coach lives it up the night before FLM when I'm on water.

MtB - not a specfic injury, but the ongoing leg issues and lack of training with the stresses of the past few weeks mean I really wouldn't be able to do justice to a championship place, as well as risking further damage. I can dose up on voltarol for a few days and get through a HM or 20 mile training run but I think the marathon would be biting off more than I can chew.

<this is BR btw>
    :-)
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Julz - not sure what to suggest about your problems. My experience of the podiatrist is that after a lot of expensive orthotics to even out my different length legs and my over pronation I no longer get ITB problems in my left leg. Now I get ITB problem sin BOTH legs. :(

BR - I always think there is something vaguely creepy about posting as someone else. Its a bit like wearing someone else's underwear....
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I have to admit Podro it does look and seem strange having someone else post under my name. BTW this is really hilly:-)
  • BR - phew....For a minute there I thought that Hilly was planning a few shortcuts to ensure the sub 3!
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    You are going to have to invest in His'n'Hers computers. BTW I don't regularly wear other people's underwear.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Not since the court case anyway....
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    I must admit having Hilly talk about beers'n'curry the night before FLM had me a tad confused too.
  • evening

what: another 5.5 miles i.e. 5 laps of sunny Speke at lunchtime
    why: same reason as yesterday
    last hard day: Sun
    last rest day: Sat

same time as yesterday, but felt a lot harder with wind blowing over 30 knots.

PG - well battled

recover soon Rory & everyone else ill/injured
  • i knew it. not one chance to post back at work.

nasty experience imski. guess that's the downside of warmer lighter evenings, the chavs also tend to gather. Good run though.

Hope the shin is nothing more than in need of an easy day or two Podro.

BR, a tough but understandable call re. FLM but sounds like you'll have an enjoyable weekend. I seem to remember a while ago you saying you weren't bothered about tough but scenic races. Do i detect a slight sea change for the time being?

Sorry about your woes FAB. Take it easy.

Well done at Rome PG. Sounds like you nailed the strategy spot on.

cheers for the link newmum. will look into it.

Hope the cold clears soon Rory. Best wishes.

Sorry to hear about your foot problems Julz.

Too many injured peeps out there. A collective get well.

Easy 2 miles done, just to get an easy run in.

and now i shall leave the forum in peace whilst talk of underwear sharing ;)

Madness!!

Oh, Ironically i knew the lyrics as i can't stand her ;)

• I remember when I was on holiday last year lots of people posting as variations of me.

What does that say about those people and my underwear?

:-)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Your underwear is of enourmous proportions??

Maybe that's what caused the groin strain.

;-))
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Errrr....

A lot of people have tried your underwear?

You're a Viz cartoon reject?

You're the orginal Pantman!

Sozz - I've had a kwazy day today!
  • Evenin' all < flexes at knees with feet splayed>

Not been posting since not been running. yesterday I was finally able to walk without dull pain in shin. have decided next run will be ca 3miles on grass on saturday. If Ok the debate will be how fast I build up milage. Thoughts with all those suffering similar injuries or dilemmas at mo.

welcome Beeble/handbag and a couple fo otehr new faces.

welcome back familiar faces

no welcome to the concept of underwear sharing....there are other threads for that surely.

lyrics - no clue, like the best.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Julz - does sound a tricky one - I suppose give it a go for a bit but how long do you give them until you decide they aren't the solution ?

What - an hour bike on the rollers whilst watching TV. Not done it yet just about to start. Legs are a bit tired after yesterday so just going to spin an easy gear. Gave the bike a good clean this evening - took the drive train to pieces and degreased it all.

Bad luck on the FLM BR and welcome back all.
  • sft legs hope build up goes ok. Grass sounds like a good idea.

No idea on lyrics other than its a girlie that sings it cause Paul l says so and ''can;t stand her''!

Gym d@d

What a miserable affair it was. It was really warm in there when I arrived. Staff in t-shirts. I think they should be wrapped up warm, at least in sweatshirts to allow us not to boil! Asked them to turn up Air con, got told it was on full - yeah right! I don't think so.

Anyway onto elliptical trainer for 15 mins, boiling after 5.

Onto dreadmill for 20 mins. 5 at 10k, 10 at 10.5k, 5 at 10K - MAJOR yawn! Still boiling hot. Demotivated, fed up, can't be @rsed. But not giving in, so tried blasting out ears with MP3 player and that didn't work either. Ok run over, miserable affair so on to the bike.

Onto bike, no way doing 45 mins, no time anyway as have to get to chippy to feed teenage scoobs (I'm such a health conscious mum), set for 30 mins. Grab the bars at front which also have heart rate monitor on. Oh dear heart rate rather high and not even on a big hill yet. Why's that then? Ok I'm feeling cr@p but usually this is due to psychological with me and not physical. Slogging it away determined to see it through. Got to 20 mins and in walks hubby, he's been away all week on a course. He's come to run on tready. What joy to see him and thats it. Stop the bike after 21 mins. Climb off - think what a waste of time that was. Got into changing room and wish there was a nice comfy bed to lie down and go to sleep on. Feel stuffed.

Home, chips, and bed.

Night all.

• Evening all,
    Lots of good stuff posted while I've been asleep.

Peter Gledhill - nice marathon - you sounded totally in control - what is your marathon PB?

BR - no flm - don't you know supporting can be harder than running the thing!

Wardi - great to have a friend like you.

beeble - nice to meet you - my mother-in-law's ancestors came from Fife.

200m - good luck - you deserve it.

scooby - I'll have to teach you how to pretend to do up your shoe laces while quietly moving the inside of your shorts to one side. Thought I was waiting one day for a girl who had stopped to do up her shoe-lace and she told me later what she had done - only works with short shorts though and works 100% off-road cause no puddles left on the pavement!

Sorry you're not running Paris - but guess it is the sensible thing to do:-(

M - good to see you on top of your training.

Rory - schedules are meant to be altered!

Jultz - forget about the 22 miler - get yourself injury-free, running nicely and you still might get your marathon in.

Glad to see you got your 15 miler in Hilly - you'll be fine.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    First of all thank you all for your kind and supportive remarks, you are a top bunch. Hollywood - 'well done on going to the pub' - thanks, but to be honest I don't normally need much of an excuse!

PG.. good run in Rome. Sorry about the tooth, as if marathons weren't painful enough!

Julz.. after any injury my physio advises one week extra rest after the pain has gone, just to make sure. I followed this advice after shin splints last year, built up slowly but surely and have had no return of the problem. I stretch more than I used to and I run in a mixture of shoe types with no orthotics. Best of luck.

BR.. sensible decision I reckon. You could always set up an alternative 'special drinks' table for forumites at 15 miles or so {o:

Club night - consisting of 6 men of veteran status and a pretty 19 year old girl who joined us last year. I have never seen such eagerness to circle back for a straggler in the history of the club {o:

9 miles done with a few fast strides, mostly off road.
  • Paul I - I made it especially easy. Lyrics <A Ironic by Alanis Morissette. Heard the song last night in the tube.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello peeps

Many apologies i have not read the thread been at the hospital all day and have only got back home, had my mum rushed in this morning, still don't know whats wrong, going back tomorrow, hopefully will get more news. So hence no running today and don't know when i'll be able to post again

Take care all
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Pammie - hope your mum's ok. Look after yourself too.
  • Lyrics? Sounds a bit familiar, but definitely don't know it, even when given clues such as artist and title.
    Imski - Let me get this right. You got hero worship from a bunch of pubescent females? SCARY!
    Dubai Dave: There's not many of us around on the 2300 running shift...
    SGQ- I'm not surprised that today's run was slow, you knocked out a brisk one yesterday.
    Pete G- Rome sounds like a really scenic place to have a marathon. Sub 4 sounds perfectly acceptable given the crowds, and your strategy seemed to be the right one. I hope that the tooth settles down quickly. They are surprisingly debilitating.
    Hilly: I've missed something significant, haven't I? Or have I just been trapped by an early dose of April 1sts?
    Gary Beeble: welcome aboard - That story sounds awfully familiar. I spy some "soft" targets in your pb list....Now where's BR?
    Scooby- I laughed at the car park incident! They say that the difference between radio and TV is that radio has the better pictures!
    DozyD- If you are clocking your times for 10k, then you care, and you'll be as fanatical as the rest of us. Keep it up. PS, if you are focussing on enjoying 10k races, then 7 miles is a perfect training distance.
    Hilly/BR - I though that there was a wind up going on.......then I see the combination posting......from what I understand about each of you this sounds messy and complicated......no, I don't believe it......
    Pammie, hope your Mum's OK

Day at work, visiting a concrete plant. (Daddy, don't be silly you can't grow a concrete plant)
    Dry and windy, but just as I finished to drive home it lashed it down. Got home 1 hour later, and had just reached into the dry weather, so dived in, got my kit on, and went out for as brisk 6.5 miles. Absolutely perfect. A little refreshing drizzle towards the end, but 7m/m pace was really tick-tock and in the zone. Monday's niggle was definitely related to training on cold muscles. I'd been home 5 minutes when the heavens opened for an hour. Am I the happy bunny?
  • NZC, last summer I did a lots of bare foot running; there was quite a craze for it on one of these threads, on the grounds that it encourages a much more natural midfoot style. As soon as the weather is good enough here, I'm looking forward to my laps of the local cricket pitch again

WP, as long as you re sensible I'm sure your fizz's advice is only a guide. Its your body/leg, and I always tell patients to be guided by how they feel.

PG, the Rome marathon sounds like a wonderful sight-seeing tour. A bit difficult to concentrate on the running ?

LizzyB, and Hilly, you could follow the trend, and get some acupuncture to shift your gunge andget rid of your cough.

BR, you sound contented enough with your descision to race low-key for a while, and to watch FLM.

Pammie, I hope your mum is OK

Julz, sfllegs and ony one else with shin splints, I'm sure it was quite against any orthodox advice, but after some time out with shin splints last year, as soon as I started getting some really proper treatment ie very deep massage, and much deeper than I could have done on myself, I starting building back the miles - up to 65 mpw in only 5 weeks.

I've continued getting weekly massage at the same time as building up the miles and adding speedwork,. Although I reckon I still felt the pain sometimes until about 6 weeks ago ie 6mths my fitness now is loads better than if I'd not run till there was no pain, and only then started building up again.

What: 7ml inc 3x 1ml hard
    Why: still recovering from my bug, so being cautious ie didn't do 6x 1ml
  • TMR - I'm lucky I've never had shin splints but deep massage - the very painful stuff is what is recommended here too, I remember my husband having to go through all that - not nice - but it works.

Bisters - concrete plants - well I guess you wouldn't have to water them! I've just been out mowing the lawn and have run out of petrol - have to get myself down to the garage.

• Thanks loads to those of you who posted advice, I canned tonights run, it seemed a bit too soon, I'll be giving it some more thought over the weekend, haven't really decided on anything yet. Does sound like a thorough regular massage would be one good idea though.

nrg-b - I work as an character animator and tomorrow I'll be talking about my job! :)

Pammie Hope its not too serious for your mum and she recovers quickly. My mum isn't well either at the moment, shes got a lung infection.

Welcome to all the new posters. There does seem to be a proliferation of people posting from my old stomping grounds in Fife!

Right, night all!
  • almost forgot.... great race & report PG!