Options

Kent Coastal Half-Marathon

Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
Mark, I thought you was going to start this thread.

Comments

• Options
    Tracey i did start 1
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark, you started the Kent Coastal Marathon. I started the Kent Coastal half marathon.

I am not mad enought to do two marathons a year.lol
  • Options
    I did tracey honest its tittled kent coastal half marathon 2006 and you posted there earlier !! what are you like lol
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark - but you got told off for not putting it under the event thread.
  • Options
    i know but this years race director hasnt set up an event thread yet for the half im seeing him tonight so ill either get him to do it or set it up myself tommorrow.

As its only you and me posting i guess it doesnt matter at present
  • Options
    and anyway are you calling me mad for doing more than 1 marathon a year ?
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I don't want any changes to the half marathon route. That way I can see if I am any better at it.LOL

I had better let you do some work. bye
  • Options
    CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Well he steam roll all the hills for me.....I should be there too
  • Options
    Damn.

I wanted to be first for at least one forum.
  • Options
    Andy any news on the baby front ? and are you doing Paddock wood this weekend.

Good news after last nights meeting I can confirm Flapjacks are going to be in the goody bags again this year and medals and T shirts
  • Options
    Tracey G Sorry Mr Thickie here I had not realised that you had set this thread up properly and linked it to the event doh! please eaccept my grovelling appologies!!

Hope to see you and Andre on Sunday
  • Options
    Hi Mark. Baby arrived 10am today !! Jake Alexander Stevens. 8lb 14oz - a big lad indeed !!

I suppose I should be getting some sleep really instead of mucking about on the internet !!!

Not doing Paddock Wood on Sunday. Think I need to spend some "bonding time" this weekend prior to resuming Edinburgh Marathon training programme next week (at least that's the plan....)
  • Options
    awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry i am doing wolvo)
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Mark you are forgiven.
  • Options
    Andy Fantastic news mate Congratulations.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Mark & family. It was very windy at Paddock Wood, nice head wind.

Mark - I got a pb of 5 mins.
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Also Andre and Bernard beat Kierrah, she took of too fast.
  • Options
    Tracey well done and well done to Andre. I had a mare at Paddock wood and did a new PW !!

I assume you meants congratulations Andy and family ?
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    I have just entered this race.
  • Options
    Mark F, do you know if it's the same route as last year?
  • Options
    Kevin yes it is the same route as last year
  • Options
    There is a new route map on the web site. It links to gmap pedometer.

It is very accurate on the roads, slightly less so on the paths, where they were not marked on the road plan. However, it shouldn't be a problem. The map shows the full marathon route, but you can see where the start finish is, and the 1/2 finish is in the same place, you just don't do the second half of the route...

Regards

djb
  • Options
    Thinking of doing this for my first half even though I've just realised that training up for it over the summer will be tough (hot weather runs -eek)

Guessing that Sept 3rd will be quite a hot day thou if the last few years are anything to go by, so i'll have to get used to the heat I guess!

So can anyone advise me on this - would it be good for a first half?

Lived in Ramsgate for 5 years as a teenager, the route actually goes past the road I used to live in, so think it would be quite cool nostalgia-wise.

Plus best mate still lives in the area - so she can come and cheer me along!

Can currently run 6-7 miles - although mostly done on treadmills lately, need to get back to the great outdoors. I will NOT attempt a half-marathon on treddy runs alone!
    So I reckon I've got enough time to train up to 13miles. Proper training will commence after mid-June as I have exams then, but will still be running regular 4-5 mile runs about 3-4 times a week till then.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Laura - I did this last year, the first 6 miles is up hill, but coming back is down hill. I would definately advise you to spend time running outside in hot weather, that is when we get some LOL.
  • Options
    Laura - ditto what Tracey says and would also strongly recommend regular hill training to prepare for some of the inclines.

Great course though (I did it for my first half last year)
  • Options
    Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭
    Andy - What time did you do last year? I ran with a man doing his first race last year, but his name was Greg, I just looked.
  • Options
    Yes, my first half last year too and boy was it hot! I had been training and was used to running up to ten miles, so thought 13 wuldn't be too bad on the day. But didn't take account of the hills and heat.

I will be trying to beat my 2hrs 18mins time from last year by running up and down some hills as practice (it was my sister's first half too but hill traiing meant she got 2hrs 11mins).

And, now the days are getting longer, start running out on the streets asap because treadmil running is very different!
  • Options
    Did 1hr 50 last year. It was my first race at any distance so learnt the hard way about hydration and the need to do proper hill-training - hence the recommendation to others now !!

Very rarely go on the treadmill now as , if there is a headwind or really hot on the day, it throws you completely.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys - yes I will definitely get some hill training in, where I live is quite hilly anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I know that treadmill running is completely different to running outside, it's just convenient for me as I go to the gym during my lunchbreaks at work. But I used to run outside 2-3 times a week - which I will get back onto asap.

If I get some decent training in within the next couple of months i'll get my entry in....

When's the cut off date for entries?

• Options
    This was my first Half M last year,I managed 2.07 and it was very hot. Horrible hill between 5 and 6 miles but reasonable after that. I have ran 1.48 since but my limited experience tells me that this year I will take gels and energy drink with me and wear a hat if it's hot. I saw a couple of people collapse with heat exhaustion last year!

Thanet RR are excellent race organisers. I have run their 10 and 20 miles races too.